PDA

View Full Version : UN Council 'shocked' by Qana raid 54 Lebanese civilians, many of them children,

ShackO
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
:jack

The UN Security Council has expressed its "shock and distress" at an Israeli attack in which 54 Lebanese civilians, many of them children, were killed. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5229058.stm)

A statement agreed by all 15 members said the council "strongly deplores this loss of innocent lives".

However, it did not call for an immediate truce as requested by the Secretary General Kofi Annan.

More than 30 children died in the raid on Qana on Sunday, the deadliest Israeli raid since hostilities began.

Ceasefire

The statement was approved by a unanimous vote of the 15-member council at an emergency session on Sunday.

t also called for a permanent and sustainable ceasefire, but not an immediate truce as urged by Kofi Annan.

Washington continues to oppose calling for an immediate ceasefire at the UN.

President George W Bush said the US wanted "to develop a resolution that will enable the region to have a sustainable peace, a peace that lasts, a peace that will enable mothers and fathers to raise their children in a hopeful world".

The attack has led to the suspension of air strikes by Israel for 48 hours so that an investigation can be carried out into the Qana bombing.

Condemnation

Many countries condemned the attack, and France has circulated a draft resolution calling for an immediate end to the fighting.

Earlier, Mr Annan had told the council, "Action is needed now before many more children, women and men become casualties of a conflict over which they have no control."

JOKE OF THE DAY
Surely the lives of the innocent should take precedence
Nikki, Warwickshire

British Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Sunday the situation could not continue and that all hostilities ought to cease once a UN resolution was adopted.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson, who is travelling with Mr Blair in the US, said the prime minister accepted that Qana had "changed things".

In a joint statement issued with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Mr Blair said "the tragic events of today have underlined the urgency of the need for a ceasefire as soon as possible".

George Gervin's Afro
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
President George W Bush said the US wanted "to develop a resolution that will enable the region to have a sustainable peace, a peace that lasts, a peace that will enable mothers and fathers to raise their children in a hopeful world".

Yawn.. :nerd More campaign slogans from our wonderful President..

ShackO
07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Foot dragging and just another lie for the consumption of the American public.... No one outside the us and America’s bitch Britain believe any of that shit...and most of the brits certainly don't buy it...

boutons_
07-31-2006, 11:23 AM
dubya runs off his pollyanna-ish, simple-minded, cretinous bullshit, and stretches his pea-brain even to grasp its simplicity.

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I think a full-scale ground invasion is in order. No more bombing of joint Hezbollah/civilian weapons caches/shelters; just go village to village killing terrorists and seizing weapons.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM

Yawn.. :nerd More campaign slogans from our wonderful President..

Well the point is that every other ceasefire in the history of this conflict was just used as a chance for both sides to regoup and start fighting again in a few months.

But I guess that's the solution you libs like, as opposed to some chance at a lasting peace.

Note: I don't think there ever will be one, but it's what the UN, US, etc. are shooting for.

DarkReign
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
...but it's what the UN, US, etc. are shooting for.

Literally.

:lmao couldnt help it

ShackO
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I think a full-scale ground invasion is in order. No more bombing of joint Hezbollah/civilian :clap weapons caches/shelters; just go village to village killing terrorists and seizing weapons.

That is what they should have done from the jump….

Sad thing they have killed and continue to kill many innocent ppl in Lebanon….

I have no problem with them killing every fuxing one of the pissbalah fighters and that is the only way they will be able to do it… This group punishment has not worked in the Gaza and west bank and will not work in Lebanon………

Israel is pulling out or has already pulled out, changed it’s position on pissbablah fighters giving up all there weapons, got the Shia and Sunni giving lip service to cooperation and reconciliation and elevated the pissbalah’s status throughout the Arab world….

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
That is what they should have done from the jump….

Sad thing they have killed and continue to kill many innocent ppl in Lebanon….

I have no problem with them killing every fuxing one of the pissbalah fighters and that is the only way they will be able to do it… This group punishment has not worked in the Gaza and west bank and will not work in Lebanon………

Israel is pulling out or has already pulled out, changed it’s position on pissbablah fighters giving up all there weapons, got the Shia and Sunni giving lip service to cooperation and reconciliation and elevated the pissbalah’s status throughout the Arab world….
They're changing their tactics because they believe they've destroyed most of the launchers. IAF was used to soften the targets and eliminate as many of the rocket launchers as possible.

ShackO
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
This is the down side of running Syria out of town...... Although I was pleased to see them leave I was afraid the vacum would leave the various assholes to start the same old shxt again..........

When Syria was there they didn't take any shxt from pissbalah or anyone......