PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Get Stairs, Kip Wells

Melmart1
07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Stairs is for a minor leaguer, but not sure what we gave up for Kip Wells... if he can stay healthy though, this is great for the Rangers.

Beer is Good
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
The Rangers have acquired pitcher Kip Wells from the Pittsburgh Pirates for Minor League pitcher Jesse Chavez.
Wells was 1-5 with a 6.69 ERA in seven starts for the Pirates. He is 1-1 with a 1.83 ERA in his last three starts. Wells missed the first 2 1/2 months of the season with a blood clot in his right armpit.

The Rangers have also acquired first baseman/designated hitter Matt Stairs from the Kansas City Royals for Minor League pitcher Joselo Diaz.

Stairs was hitting .261 with eight home runs and 32 RBI in 77 games and 226 at-bats for the Royals. All but 29 at-bats were against right-handed pitching.

Diaz started the season at Double-A Frisco and was 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA in eight games before being promoted to Triple-A Oklahoma. He pitched in 28 games for the RedHawks without a decision and had a 3.28 ERA with four saves.

Chavez was 2-5 with a 4.42 ERA at Frisco and pitched in one game at Oklahoma.

The Rangers seemed close to acquiring veteran right-hander Jon Lieber from the Philadelphia Phillies. But he ended up making his start on Monday against the Florida Marlins and was pummeled for nine runs on 13 hits, including three home runs, in 4 2/3 innings. He is now 4-8 with a 6.09 ERA, which isn't exactly appetizing, considering he is also signed for next year at $7.5 million.

Melmart1
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
I like these moves. We didnt give up anyone significant for some help. Wells, even with his inflated ERA is better than Koronka or Rheinecker or even Loe who is on his way back. But let's see how he does in AL with bigger bats. That is always scary, an NL pitcher adjusting to AL

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
I hope Stairs does well in Texas seeing as how he had no future here in Kansas City now that we're 40 games back of the division leaders, I dont think that guy has ever met a pitch he didnt like, but he will hit a few out the park every now and then. As for Wells, a change of leagues can do wonders for a pitchers game. Example: Bronson Arroyo

FromWayDowntown
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I like these moves. We didnt give up anyone significant for some help. Wells, even with his inflated ERA is better than Koronka or Rheinecker or even Loe who is on his way back. But let's see how he does in AL with bigger bats. That is always scary, an NL pitcher adjusting to AL

It's a mild upgrade, but I would have liked to have seen the Rangers do more. Kip Wells is a pretty pedestrian pitcher in a league and division in which success would seem to require more than what he's got. Still, an upgrade, no matter how minor, is an upgrade.

I was somewhat surprised that the Rangers were apparently making such a push for Tejada until I read that they were working on a deal to pick up Roy Oswalt from the O's if the Orioles had been able to make a deal with Houston. It makes sense to me, in that scenario (and in that scenario only) that the Rangers might have tried to pressure the Astros into making a deal because of some perception that the Orioles might bite on a different offer, with the Rangers having no intention of making the deal themselves.

T Park
08-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I like the moves unlike FWD.

There was no pitching available worth a crap, don't know who FWD wanted...

Wells I've seen him pitch against the Cardinals many a time, and the kid has good stuff and has had success in the past.

Change of scenery should do good.

Good moves by the Rangers.

Now go get the division.....

Melmart1
08-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Eaton was AWESOME tonight and Stairs did excellent, and Lee has been doing great since he got to the Rangers. Tomorrow Wells starts, and then all of our additions will have played at least one game. If Wells can stay healthy, I think we have as good a chance as any in the West. Think about it- in a slump, 2 games under .500 and yet still only 4 games out of 1st with two months to go. I like our chances still.

FromWayDowntown
08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I like the moves unlike FWD.

There was no pitching available worth a crap, don't know who FWD wanted...

Wells I've seen him pitch against the Cardinals many a time, and the kid has good stuff and has had success in the past.

Change of scenery should do good.

Good moves by the Rangers.

Now go get the division.....

I'm not really a Rangers fan, just really a baseball watcher who's interested in following the pennant races. My team, the Orioles, have been out of the pennant race since around 2000.

I think it's probably a good thing that the Rangers didn't give up much to make the deals they made, but I honestly don't know that they got a whole lot back. Wells has been injury-prone and even when healthy hasn't been at all above the replacement value pitcher in MLB. If he pitches well for the Rangers, that will prove me wrong; I'm skeptical that he'll pitch well.

If the Rangers had given up any real value for Lee, I think you might have seen them jump into the tank and make a push for a guy like Schmidt or Maddux or Livan Hernandez. In fact, I'm moderately suprised that they didn't make a push for Livan anyway -- he'd be a nice fit there because he's the workhorse type who eats a ton of innings and brings front-of-the-rotation post-season grit.

It seems to me that the Rangers have decided that their route to the playoffs involves pummelling teams to death, but I'm not sure that you can hope to consistently outslug Oakland and the Angels. And the Rangers should know by now that you don't frequently have post-season success built on offensive prowess.

Brad Wilkerson
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Eaton was AWESOME tonight and Stairs did excellent, and Lee has been doing great since he got to the Rangers. Tomorrow Wells starts, and then all of our additions will have played at least one game. If Wells can stay healthy, I think we have as good a chance as any in the West. Think about it- in a slump, 2 games under .500 and yet still only 4 games out of 1st with two months to go. I like our chances still.

im glad i didnt sttrike out

yavozerb
08-02-2006, 01:44 PM
New addition Wells struggled at times but always got out of the inning with good pitches for either DP or K's...Millwood, Padilla, Eaton, Wells, Karonka is probably the best staff they have had in memory!!They truly have a chance to win the West

sribb43
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
im glad i didnt sttrike out

Your such a spare:lol

FromWayDowntown
08-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Wells pitched well enough today.

He's proving me wrong so far.

Melmart1
08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Has anyone heard the rumor that the Rangers may waive Barajas to the Sox can claim him to replace Varitek, who is out with knee surgery?

I wouldn't mind Gerald Laird being our everyday catcher, in fact it's what I want. But not having a formidable backup is a little scary since the Rangers are still in it.

Brad Wilkerson
08-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Has anyone heard the rumor that the Rangers may waive Barajas to the Sox can claim him to replace Varitek, who is out with knee surgery?

I wouldn't mind Gerald Laird being our everyday catcher, in fact it's what I want. But not having a formidable backup is a little scary since the Rangers are still in it.

We signed Miguel Ojeda for that purpose.

i hope he doesnt strike out as much as i do :depressed :oops

Melmart1
08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I know about the Rockies deal, but is he really ready to be a backup and primary if (God forbid) Laird were to be injured?

Solid D
08-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Tell me... why in the world would the Rangers would waive Barajas?

Melmart1
08-02-2006, 04:57 PM
To get something in return for him on a waiver trade rather than letting him walk and getting nothing for him at the end of the year. With Laird starting 4/5 games, you can almost rest assured he finally has the starting job, so Barajas could be expendable in the eyes of some.

I am a little cautious about it though. I guess it depends on who we get back in return. Very risky. But it is a rumor, so take it how you will.

yavozerb
08-02-2006, 04:59 PM

What person or site sold you on this one!!That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why would you give up an average catcher (Getting harder to find in mlb) to recieve nothing in return and help out another team in the same league...

Jheum Jhang
08-02-2006, 05:02 PM
What person or site sold you on this one!!That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why would you give up an average catcher (Getting harder to find in mlb) to recieve nothing in return and help out another team in the same league...

Red Sox have lot of money, no?

noting dem Ranger bitches can do bout it. hehehehehehehehehehe :hat

Melmart1
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Um.. who said I was "sold" on it? I expressed reservation, did I not? Read again.

yavozerb
08-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Um.. who said I was "sold" on it? I expressed reservation, did I not? Read again.

I have read again and have not seen the source of this info.

Melmart1
08-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I know I read it somewhere, I did not make it up. I can't find where I read it though. I read a lot of stuff. Not that it matters, it's just a rumor but if I find it I will post it.

Solid D
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Tell me... why in the world would the Rangers waive Barajas?

To get something in return for him on a waiver trade rather than letting him walk and getting nothing for him at the end of the year. With Laird starting 4/5 games, you can almost rest assured he finally has the starting job, so Barajas could be expendable in the eyes of some.

I am a little cautious about it though. I guess it depends on who we get back in return. Very risky. But it is a rumor, so take it how you will.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I still wouldn't do it. Sometimes you really risk ruining the chemistry with too many tweaks plus teams need depth at catcher. One foul tip with the hand not tucked in and...

The Red Sox are really going to miss their captain and let's face it, Doug is a good guy and all, but he really wouldn't be in Boston if he couldn't use the big mit with Wakefield.

yavozerb
08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Catcher is probably the hardest position to fill in mlb due to the wear and tear they must go through..The rangers have 2 catchers who might be both slightly above average and can alternate them to keep fresh. Only position in any sport I agree that 2 is better than one in regards of a starter!!

T Park
08-02-2006, 09:16 PM
The Red Sox won't make the playoffs with Varitek going down.

yavozerb
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
The Red Sox won't make the playoffs with Varitek going down.

I agree!!!Yankess to win the east and white sox or tigers wild card...

Melmart1
08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
You think the White Sox can stop their skid? They are looking ugly since the AS break. Buerhle's ERA is near double digits in July. Ugly! I think the Wild Card is up for grabs, but the Red Sox have as good a chance as any.

Melmart1
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
OK, to the person who wanted proof of the Barajas rumor... This isn't the original source of info but it is a Metroplex reporter, so now I know I am not crazy for having read this somewhere:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/15187705.htm

The Red Sox could be in search of another catcher because Jason Varitek is expected to miss at least a month while recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. The Red Sox could use backup Doug Mirabelli as the starter, but Boston might seek help from outside.

The Rangers are in a unique position because they have two catchers capable of being starters. The Rangers would listen to offers for Barajas.

However, with the non-waiver trade deadline having passed, Barajas would have to be placed on and clear waivers -- or at least get as far as the Red Sox -- if the Rangers and Boston wanted to explore such a possibility.

yavozerb
08-03-2006, 12:37 PM
OK, to the person who wanted proof of the Barajas rumor... This isn't the original source of info but it is a Metroplex reporter, so now I know I am not crazy for having read this somewhere:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/15187705.htm

The Red Sox could be in search of another catcher because Jason Varitek is expected to miss at least a month while recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. The Red Sox could use backup Doug Mirabelli as the starter, but Boston might seek help from outside.

The Rangers are in a unique position because they have two catchers capable of being starters. The Rangers would listen to offers for Barajas.

However, with the non-waiver trade deadline having passed, Barajas would have to be placed on and clear waivers -- or at least get as far as the Red Sox -- if the Rangers and Boston wanted to explore such a possibility.
Thanks for the link! Really the only spot at this point which would be of interest is in the bullpen with someone setting up otsuka!!No one is going to give up much more than this anyways..

batman2883
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
fuck them

Solid D
08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
You think the Phillies would want Robinson Tejeda back for David Dellucci? :)

I think that trade, at this point, is not one John Daniels should be proud of.

Melmart1
08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the link! Really the only spot at this point which would be of interest is in the bullpen with someone setting up otsuka!!No one is going to give up much more than this anyways..
I think Loe could be a good setup guy. I know that isn't what he wants, but at this point our rotation seems to be fairly set with Millwood, Padilla, Eaton, Wells and Koronka. And I just think that Koronka is a little better at this point than Loe. Plus, Loe was good from the pen last season, fairly lights-out. I went to three games at Ameriquest last year and he appeared in all but 1 (double header) and he was damn good.

But you are right, nobody is going to give up a whole lot for a two month rental.

Melmart1
08-03-2006, 04:01 PM
You think the Phillies would want Robinson Tejeda back for David Dellucci? :)

I think that trade, at this point, is not one John Daniels should be proud of.
I do miss Loochie :depressed

He has put up damn fine numbers in the limited play he has had, too. I think he would LOVE to be back. But it won't happen. So don't get me excited, you tease! :lol

T Park
08-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Looch wouldn't clear waivers, I don't think he makes enough and the Cardinals would prob sign him :lol...

Fantastic game by Millwood tonight, but Bauer blows it.

Damn if Texiera doesn't step up in the 12th and absolutely bomb one.

Stud win by the Rangers.

They HAVE to win this series.

Padilla needs to match Lackey tommarow night and the bullpen has GOT to pitch better.

Bauer can't pull that BS.

If he is gonna set up Otsuka, he needs to step up....

Great game Rangers.

Hopefully the Rangers win the games I go to next monday, tuesday, and wednesday in Oakland :lol

Melmart1
08-04-2006, 03:24 AM
You better be good luck, TPark! Don't make me kick you in your crack for jinxing them!

Phil Jackson
08-04-2006, 07:49 AM
i guarantee you Texas will not win another game in LA this season. Vlad is in their head, mark these words........

LEONARD
08-04-2006, 08:27 AM
i guarantee you Texas will not win another game in LA this season. Vlad is in their head, mark these words........

*marked*

FromWayDowntown
08-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Fantastic game by Millwood tonight, but Bauer blows it.

They HAVE to win this series.

Padilla needs to match Lackey tommarow night and the bullpen has GOT to pitch better.

Bauer can't pull that BS.

If he is gonna set up Otsuka, he needs to step up....

But, but, the Rangers didn't need to think about upgrading their pitching.

But, but the Rangers will be fine with an untested and underwhelming pen.

But, but the Rangers can knock off LA and Oakland because their pitching isn't that bad.

The Rangers were fortunate to pull that one out last night -- Teixiera bailed them out with the long ball, but I'm convinced that: (1) they're going to need those sorts of heroics a lot down the stretch to stay in the race; and (2) they'd have far less need for those sorts of heroics had they gone out and found guys who can get them through the 7th and 8th innings on a consistent basis against good teams.

tlongII
08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
The big series is Oakland at Seattle starting tonight. This is HUGE for the M's.

T Park
08-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Well FWD, Im sure the Rangers would've loved for you to point out the proven good bullpen guys available at the deadline....

FromWayDowntown
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Well FWD, Im sure the Rangers would've loved for you to point out the proven good bullpen guys available at the deadline....

Are you suggesting that pitching won't be a problem for the Rangers? or are you saying that there weren't any pitchers available? It must be the former, because the latter isn't at all true -- look at how the Reds, Giants, Mets, Braves, White Sox, and Padres (and the Brewers, for that matter) were all able to make deals to acquire relievers with major league quality and, in many cases, some playoff seasoning. There were relief pitchers to be had, but the Rangers got none. They might prove me wrong, but I don't recall teams having great success when they can't get the game to a closer and have to hope for big offensive production to win games.

And if the Rangers weren't going to address their very serious need for pitching, the Lee deal makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Brad Wilkerson
08-04-2006, 03:11 PM
im tired of striking out :madrun

Solid D
08-04-2006, 04:49 PM
im tired of striking out :madrun

Has Brad had his eyes checked lately? It's a problem that doesn't want to go away.

T Park
08-04-2006, 11:56 PM
has a more home runs this year than last.

The Rangers were just better off trading primadonna Soriano.

slayermin
08-05-2006, 03:03 AM
It looks like Bartolo Colon will miss the remainder of the season because of his shoulder.

That pretty much gives Texas and Oakland the inside track to win the division.

LEONARD
08-05-2006, 08:25 AM

:blah :blah :blah :blah

*marked*

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/84862.jpg

:lol

MarkCuban
08-05-2006, 08:50 AM
^^^^Phil Jacksn is not only my bucket boy but the Rangers' as well :lol

Phil Jackson
08-05-2006, 06:50 PM
howd they do today? :lol atleast something good happened to them today. they kept Vlad from getting a hit, but he got on base 4 times so they still dont have an answer for him. i cant wait til the season ends then this place will be silent as their playoff hopes will be crushed again :lol

they forgot to mention to Carlos Lee that, not only does he get paid too much money in this contract, but he also gets October off as well :lol :lol :lol :lol

Melmart1
08-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Gimme a break! One bad game after winning 4 of the last 5 on a VERY TOUGH road trip and you are in here gloating. You know nothing about baseball.

Solid D
08-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I guess Koronka may become the fifth starter. Eaton goes on Sunday. I suppose Kip Wells goes Monday (?).

That was one crazy catch by DeRo today, with the ball ending up resting in his armpit area. No more continuous hit streak, although Vlad didn't get much of a chance today.

The Rangers have played awful in day games this year. I'm not sure why.

Melmart1
08-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I am convinced that the Rangers love to lose badly on national TV, much like the Spurs. :lol

Solid D
08-06-2006, 12:33 AM
The Rangers may need to give someone else a shot at 5th starter if Koronka keeps averaging 20 pitch innings. He's not locating well and that messes with his confidence...you can see it.

Props to the Hudman, Rex Hudler who called it before the game even started. He and Joe Buck led off the intro to Saturday's contest on Fox with Hud wondering if Koronka would be able to keep the Angels hitters in check during the day. He said the ball travels farther there during day games than it does at night and Koronka is a fly-ball pitcher.

Melmart1
08-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Great analysis, SD. Being a flyball pitcher can also get you in trouble at Ameriquest with it being a hitter's park. They may call up someone like Volquez when the rosters expand, he has been red-hot in AAA posting an era of something like 1.32 in July. But he does tend to walk more than the Rangers would like. I saw him pitch last year and if he could just get his head in the right place, he is going to be dangerous.

Brad Wilkerson
08-06-2006, 08:14 AM
call up Volquez. replace that weak throwing asshole Kornka. :madrun bring Tejeda back even. we need power pitchers not some weak junk throwing softies. he loses every time he plays the good teams. :madrun it will cost us in the end

Phil Jackson
08-06-2006, 03:31 PM
bump 8-0

:lmao
still no answer for Vlad

Solid D
08-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Maybe Adam Eaton should start again tomorrow since the young ump threw Adam out in the first inning.

Melmart1
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I didn't even think of that, SD. Good idea, but I have a feeling that they don't want to mess with the rotation.

How did anyone who watched feel about that whole throwing out w/o a warning? I think its total bullshit to be honest, but maybe that is my homer side speaking. It just seemed way hasty. A warning would have done fine, imho.

I also think that though the last two games were ugly, if the Rangers can take 2/3 in Oakland they will still be in fine shape. The bullpen didn't get used up quite as bad as I had feared, so hope floats.

NorCal510
08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
fuck da rangers, day aint got shit on da a's

Melmart1
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
According to the Dallas-Morning News Rangers Blog, Kip Wells will not be starting tomorrow due to shoulder stiffness and is on his way back to the team physician in Dallas. Edinson Volquez will be called up from AAA, a move that I love. No word yet on who they will option back but it could be Koronka or Cruz.

G0D
08-06-2006, 11:39 PM
if the Rangers do not sweep this series, its probably over for them. New York ended toronto's season with a 4-game sweep earlier this week, Oakland ended Seattle's season with a sweep, will the Rangers be next in the gauntlet? of course i know who will win these 3 games. every game. every World Series that will ever be played, but i never tell....

Melmart1
08-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Considering how awful the A's offense is lately and how Millwood and Padilla pitch on the road, I think a sweep is possible. The bats just need to back them up. Volquez is a wild card but you got to try him out, if Wells is out for any reasonable amount of time, he will have to step up. So will Koronka.

LEONARD
08-07-2006, 08:07 AM
howd they do today? :lol atleast something good happened to them today. they kept Vlad from getting a hit, but he got on base 4 times so they still dont have an answer for him. i cant wait til the season ends then this place will be silent as their playoff hopes will be crushed again :lol

they forgot to mention to Carlos Lee that, not only does he get paid too much money in this contract, but he also gets October off as well :lol :lol :lol :lol

bump 8-0

:lmao
still no answer for Vlad

Who cares...the fact is that YOU made a guarantee and it was immediately wrong... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Haiku
08-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Considering how awful the A's offense is lately and how Millwood and Padilla pitch on the road, I think a sweep is possible. The bats just need to back them up. Volquez is a wild card but you got to try him out, if Wells is out for any reasonable amount of time, he will have to step up. So will Koronka.

a sweep can be done
but the A's will be ready
highly unlikely