PDA

View Full Version : D.George - Mavs or Suns

mabber
08-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Posted on Tue, Aug. 01, 2006

By DWAIN PRICE

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DEVEAN GEORGEDALLAS -- Devean George could be a member of the Mavericks as soon as today.

The Los Angeles Lakers' free-agent forward talked with Mavs owner Mark Cuban and coach Avery Johnson on Monday and said he is leaning toward signing with the Mavs.

"I love Avery's mentality," George said. "He likes guys that play hard, [play] defense and rebound."

Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations, said to expect some news from his franchise today.

George is said to have narrowed his choices to the Mavs and Phoenix Suns. The Mavs have offered George a one-year, $2 million contract, which is the remaining money from the $5.2 mid-level exception after the Mavs gave Denver Nuggets free-agent swingman Greg Buckner a first-year salary of $3.2 million.

After giving free agent Marcus Banks $3.6 million of their $5.2 mid-level exception, the Suns could only offer George a first-year salary of $1.6 million.

A 6-8, 235-pound seven-year veteran, George won NBA titles with the Lakers during his first three years in the league -- 2000, '01 and '02. He also was the fifth starter on the Lakers team that lost to the Detroit Pistons in five games during the 2004 NBA Finals.

The signing of George would give the Mavs 14 players with guaranteed contracts and leave them with one spot to sign one of their rookie free agents who played on their summer league team.

Mavs Fan In Egypt
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
the mavs will get him.

JMarkJohns
08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Please God, have him go to the Mavs!!!

mabber
08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Please God, have him go to the Mavs!!!

I'll take him as our 11th-12th man. He's good insurance. I would think a Sun's fan would want to add some veteren depth. The Suns are still sorely lacking in that area and will require a good deal of luck in regards to injuries to compete for the #1 or #2 seed. The Suns just don't have the depth that Dallas & San Antonio does.

If I were George, I'd go to Phoenix cuz there's a lot more playing time there than in Dallas.

mardigan
08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I think that Suns fans just realize how much George sucks regardless off depth.

2Cleva
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I hope he goes to Pheonix because that likely means an S&T for LA to get James Jones. Otherwise, he walks to Dallas for nothing.

confined
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
i believe dallas has more money to give him too

Obstructed_View
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
George has a high basketball IQ and has something that nobody on the Suns or the Mavericks has: A track record of performing when it counts. Neither of those teams has the luxury of looking down their noses at him.

mabber
08-01-2006, 11:37 AM
George has a high basketball IQ and has something that nobody on the Suns or the Mavericks has: A track record of performing when it counts. Neither of those teams has the luxury of looking down their noses at him.

Mavs aren't looking down their noses at him. They're recruiting him hard.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Mavs aren't looking down their noses at him. They're recruiting him hard.
I was referring to the fans, although I didn't word it properly. I wouldn't imagine that either team was discounting his value, so I wouldn't have thought that someone would misunderstand my meaning.

SirChaz
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I hope he goes to Pheonix because that likely means an S&T for LA to get James Jones. Otherwise, he walks to Dallas for nothing.

Not going to happen. They are not going to trade Jones for George. The Suns need to add depth not trade young for old.

The most PHX would probably give is a second round pick and of course with a S&T the Suns could offer more then 1.6M. Most likely the same trade they offered for Salmons but for less years and money on the contract.

George is a veteran with playoff experience, he could help the Suns.

mabber
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I was referring to the fans, although I didn't word it properly. I wouldn't imagine that either team was discounting his value, so I wouldn't have thought that someone would misunderstand my meaning.

My bad.

I certainly won't mind the Mavs getting George though.

JMarkJohns
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
George is below average, is injury-prone and can make as many bone-headed plays as good ones. His steller postseason record includes a career average of 5 points, 3 rebounds on 41% from the field, 31% from range 68% from the line.

That doesn't blow me away. Even for a bench player.

Suns already have that from Pike. I don't see a reason to sign George with Jones on the bench. He may be young, but before his injury, he was a solid 13 points, 4 rebounds and a steal and a block per in 20-25 minutes per.

Suns need another big. They just missed out on Aaron Williams who did well in Kidd's uptempo offense in Jersey. He'd have made much more sense than George.

SirChaz
08-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Suns need another big. They just missed out on Aaron Williams who did well in Kidd's uptempo offense in Jersey. He'd have made much more sense than George.

I agree, I would have much rather have Williams.

I have been pushing for AW for almost two years now. I wanted to get him since he was dumped on Toronto in the Vince Carter deal. Of course his skills were probably better two years ago as well.

The problem is for the Suns system they need players. Big guys that can play defense and shoot the ball are not easy to come by.

Seems to me they needed a big guy last year before they lost Amare and later Kurt so this is not an unusual position.

JMarkJohns
08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I'll take a flyer on Loren Woods. He's not the answer, but he's a solid big on the court and if he can do well, maybe his mental problems will be lessened. He's Stephen Hunter from a few year ago basically. He could probably be had for the amount they offered George.

baseline bum
08-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Devean George is responsible for the sickest crossover of Tony Parker's career. :lol

I've never even seen someone get shook that badly on NBA Live.