PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Bowen serving as role model

Kori Ellis
08-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Bowen serving as role model
By Peter May, Globe Staff | August 3, 2006

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2006/08/03/bowen_serving_as_role_model/

LAS VEGAS -- The fact that Bruce Bowen is playing basketball here -- and now -- speaks volumes about the state and priorities of USA Basketball.

In the past, a player like Bowen needn't have worried about being included on world championship or Olympic teams. Star power ruled the selection process until, well, we all know what happened in Indianapolis in 2002 and in Athens two years later. The world caught up and the Yanks deconstructed.

``It was time to give the so-called role players an opportunity to participate at this level," USA Basketball selection chief Jerry Colangelo said following the team's workout yesterday at the Thomas and Mack Center. ``There's been too much stress on All-Star teams playing in world competitions. It's already been proven that doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will win.

``You need role players. You need people to make contributions in other parts of the game besides just scoring. And Bruce Bowen epitomizes the role player. He is competitive. He's a great guy. It's a great story."

It's the unlikeliest of stories as well. At 35, Bowen is the oldest player on the team; he has Brad Miller and Antawn Jamison by five years. Bowen and Miller are the only players on the roster who were undrafted. He, Gilbert Arenas, and Dwight Howard are the only players without USA Basketball experience.

But Bowen is the only player here training for the upcoming world championships in Japan with a pair of NBA championships on his résumé. Those two rings give him more than just street cred among the USA invitees; Dwyane Wade is the only other camp attendee with a championship.

And Bowen got those rings doing exactly what coach Mike Krzyzewski expects him to do in Japan -- clamping down on his man and setting a defensive tone on the perimeter.

``I know there are guys here who have talents that are greater than mine," Bowen said. ``But at some point you have to feel like you belong here as well. I think the guys see that in me. I may not take the shots they take because of my role in San Antonio. But it doesn't mean I'm not capable of being on the same floor with them and helping the team win. I have two championships that speak for themselves. That has helped me out here more than anything else. They can say what they want, but I do have two rings."

Colangelo recalled his first meeting with Bowen when the selection process was as much a feeling-out process as anything else. Over All-Star weekend in Houston, Bowen flew in from Florida, where he was vacationing, and eagerly accepted Colangelo's invitation.

``He was so happy, I think he could have flown back to Florida without a plane," Colangelo said. ``It's refreshing to see that kind of enthusiasm. To extend an offer made us feel good. And we certainly knew how he felt."

What Bowen has seen and gone through has only validated what he thought and expected. Krzyzewski incessantly talks about defense, which, as Bowen said, ``isn't just preaching to the choir. To me, it's praise the Lord!" Bowen also has found the adjustment not nearly so difficult as he might have thought, in part because he spends the NBA season chasing most of these fellows up and down the court.

``I guard most of the guys here," Bowen said. ``They're not going to show me anything I don't already know. But defense has got to be a constant. There are nights when you may not shoot well, but if you can sustain a certain amount of defense, you'll be fine.

``I understand [Krzyzewski's] vision that much more because I played against Vegas [UNLV] in their heyday. [Bowen attended Cal State Fullerton.] Those guys were all over the place, creating turnovers, getting deflections, so they could use their athleticism in the open court. It's hard to use your athleticism in a half-court game because there's a zone."

Bowen also can make the occasional outside shot, which is critical in the international game. He gets a lot of open looks in San Antonio and, in the 2002-03 season, he led the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage (44.1). Last year, he was ninth in that category, connecting on 42.4 percent of his threes.

He is a fixture with the Spurs, but his pro career boasts numerous stops -- as well as countries and leagues. After not getting drafted, he ventured to France, where he played for Evreux in 1994-95 and for Besancon in 1996-97. In between was a stint with the Fort Wayne Fury and Rockford Lightning of the CBA.

The Celtics launched his NBA career in 1997, even though he had made a very brief appearance with Miami prior to his stop in Boston. He also played with Miami and Philadelphia before catching on with the Spurs.

Everywhere he's gone, he has been the consummate role player. Things are no different now for him in his first venture with USA Basketball. Asked to reflect on his long, circuitous route from Europe to USA stopper, he recalled his early days in France, when he was asked to participate in a drill.

``I always think about this one time, when a guy was teaching this drill and I looked at him and said, `We do things differently in the US.' His response was, `You're not in the US.' He said it with such arrogance.

``I was taken aback, but he was right. I wasn't in the US. Now, for me, it would be so great to represent my country, win a gold medal, and finally be able to say, `This is the way we do it in the US.' "

BIG IRISH
08-03-2006, 04:20 AM
``I always think about this one time, when a guy was teaching this drill and I looked at him and said, `We do things differently in the US.' His response was, `You're not in the US.' He said it with such arrogance.

``I was taken aback, but he was right. I wasn't in the US. Now, for me, it would be so great to represent my country, win a gold medal, and finally be able to say, `This is the way we do it in the US.' "

As an American this is what it is all about!

Samr
08-03-2006, 05:17 AM

That made my day. That is EXACTLY the attitude I want everyone to take. Every player and coach and trainer for Team USA, but also every fan and patriot who want to see us beat the living shit out of the competition because, frankly, we're the United States of America, and we're SUPPOSED to beat the crap out of people.

SenorSpur
08-03-2006, 05:37 AM
What a wonderful punctuation to Bowen's career. This further underscores what an important "cog" he is to the Spurs success and why he should have already been named DPOY by now.

With this sudden emphasis on defense, it's strange that reigning DPOY, Big Ben, is not on the roster for USA Basketball.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-03-2006, 05:48 AM
:lol i think its funny that Bruce mentioned a guy who was 'arrogant' when he said 'you're not in the US', when the USA is the epitome of arrogance in sports :smokin

velik_m
08-03-2006, 05:52 AM
"You need role players. You need people to make contributions in other parts of the game besides just scoring."

maybe if stars would be able to do anything besides scoring, role players would not be needed for US national team. How many of NBA stars actually play good defense? It's all about offense this days in NBA and it bites them back at international stage.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
:lol i think its funny that Bruce mentioned a guy who was 'arrogant' when he said 'you're not in the US', when the USA is the optime of arrogance in sports :smokin
You can't blame Americans for being ethnocentric. It’s the American way.

JGrice02
08-03-2006, 10:07 AM
:lol i think its funny that Bruce mentioned a guy who was 'arrogant' when he said 'you're not in the US', when the USA is the optime of arrogance in sports :smokin

optime?

optime: \Op"ti*me\, n. [L., adv. fr. optimus the best.] One of those who stand in the second rank of honors, immediately after the wranglers, in the University of Cambridge, England. They are divided into senior and junior optimes.

Maybe try epitome...

sleepybum
08-03-2006, 10:07 AM
You can't blame Americans for being ethnocentric. It’s the American way.
I don't think ethnocentric is the correct word. Nationalistic is probably more fitting. He's not talking about his race or racial superiority at all.

angel_luv
08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Bowen is such an awesome person. I am thrilled for him that he has this opportunity. :)

whottt
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Props to Bruce...this probably means a lot more to Bruce that it would a lot of SuperStars in the NBA and I am glad TeamUSA is gving Bruce a chance to be part of something like this.

In the Dream Team ERA, guys like Bruce didn't have a chance in hell of making this team....so I imagine he is pretty proud to be there.

Bruce will make them(and us) really glad they put him on the team...I don't have a doubt about it.

Way to represent Bruce.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't think ethnocentric is the correct word. Nationalistic is probably more fitting. He's not talking about his race or racial superiority at all.
Definition: MSN Encarta

conviction of own cultural superiority: a belief in or assumption of the superiority of the social or cultural group that a person belongs to ( disapproving )

The thing is that Americans feel superior in all aspects, which includes sports. You have to remember that this is a culturally diverse nation and the belief of being superior is American and in most cases has nothing to do with race, though at times it does, but that cultural superiority is a mindset an American mindset. Nationalism may be used as well.

whottt
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I just want someone to show me a culture that isn't ethnocentric....

mabber
08-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Props to Bruce...this probably means a lot more to Bruce that it would a lot of SuperStars in the NBA and I am glad TeamUSA is gving Bruce a chance to be part of something like this.

In the Dream Team ERA, guys like Bruce didn't have a chance in hell of making this team....so I imagine he is pretty proud to be there.

Bruce will make them(and us) really glad they put him on the team...I don't have a doubt about it.

Way to represent Bruce.

That first dream team didn't need a player like Bowen. They were so much better than the competition back then. This current team definitely needs a player or two like Bowen.

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:05 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/marty_burns/04/12/nba.awards/tx.bowen.jpg

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
http://marca.recoletos.es/marca_usa/nba/fotos_nba/sanantoniospurs/bruce_bowen.jpg

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/3p58020t.jpg

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-02/22180088.jpg

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:07 AM
http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/images/content/bulls/hinrich1206.jpg

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
http://members.aol.com/airjordan23site3/23jordan_wiz_039.jpg

photoguy
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
http://www.iran-daily.com/1384/2436/html/038244.jpg

whottt
08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
That first dream team didn't need a player like Bowen. .

True...but the last one sure did.

Hillcrest
08-03-2006, 11:13 AM

I agree with you.

It's not that the US is ethnocentric (we're more of an ethnic melting pot than any country on the planet) so much as culture-centric...which every culture is, of course.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Very true Whott and one of my points was that being ethnocentric is not exclusively an issue pertaining to race.

sleepybum
08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
eth·no·cen·trism Audio pronunciation of "ethnocentric" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thn-sntrzm)
n.

1. Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
2. Overriding concern with race.

ethnocentric

adj : centered on a specific ethnic group, usually one's own

Ethnicity ususually refers to race. Guess it's a personal preference in wording.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-03-2006, 12:30 PM
eth·no·cen·trism Audio pronunciation of "ethnocentric" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thn-sntrzm)
n.

1. Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
2. Overriding concern with race.

ethnocentric

adj : centered on a specific ethnic group, usually one's own

Ethnicity ususually refers to race. Guess it's a personal preference in wording.
I guess MSN Encarta and Merriam Webster have a personal preference. Here’s a link http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/ethnocentrism? It's all open to interpretation.

ShoogarBear
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Worst starting small forward in the league.

whottt
08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Since anthropologists and biolgists don't even agree that race exists as a scientific classification, and the official stance of most anthropological associations is that it doesn't... tying the word to race is inaccurate, and that definitions is just one of many. It does not simply mean believing ones own race to be superior, it does not just mean believing ones own ethnicity to be superior. It can mean those things, it can also simply mean simply a belief in ones own culture broadly or narrowly being superior.

That is the term most often used to describe beliving ones culture to be superior, whether it is based on ethnic or racial classification or not.

The guy who invented the word was in fact highly ethnocentric himself and his definition did not include the word race in it...he meant it to have a broad definition, that could even be applied to cultural groupings based on education or wealth.

It can mean simply the belief in ones own cultrual superiority....regardless of race or ethnicity.

There is no common widely used term for beliving ones culture to be superior, other than ethnocentric.

Doug Collins
08-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Since anthropologists and biolgists don't even agree that race exists as a scientific classification, and the official stance of most anthropological associations is that it doesn't... tying the word to race is inaccurate, and that definitions is just one of many. It does not simply mean believing ones own race to be superior, it does not just mean believing ones own ethnicity to be superior. It can mean those things, it can also simply mean simply a belief in ones own culture broadly or narrowly being superior.

That is the term most often used to describe beliving ones culture to be superior, whether it is based on ethnic or racial classification or not.

The guy who invented the word was in fact highly ethnocentric himself and his definition did not include the word race in it...he meant it to have a broad definition, that could even be applied to cultural groupings based on education or wealth.

It can mean simply the belief in ones own cultrual superiority....regardless of race or ethnicity.

There is no common widely used term for beliving ones culture to be superior, other than ethnocentric.

That was really deep. :king

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Bowen is too defensocentric. That kind of alienating attitude is why generally good natured guys like Vince Carter and Ray Allen don't like him.

sleepybum
08-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Bowen is too defensocentric. That kind of alienating attitude is why generally good natured guys like Vince Carter and Ray Allen don't like him.
:lol I wonder if that Peurto Rican coach complaining about hand-checking on the perimiter might have had a specific person in mind, too. People do tend to cry when their best shooters get shut down.

Oh, interesting article on the evolution of the word ethnocentrism, btw. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-03-2006, 03:41 PM
optime?

optime: \Op"ti*me\, n. [L., adv. fr. optimus the best.] One of those who stand in the second rank of honors, immediately after the wranglers, in the University of Cambridge, England. They are divided into senior and junior optimes.

Maybe try epitome...

:lol thanks, thats why i meant to type and thought i typed but i didnt check it till now :drunk :lol

SCdac
08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
http://members.aol.com/airjordan23site3/23jordan_wiz_039.jpg

Thanks for posting this one... Jordan's face says it all :lol

CaptainLate
08-03-2006, 07:38 PM
As an American this is what it is all about!

As a Spurs fan, I predict it will come back to haunt us during the '06-'07 season. :depressed Not resting his body this offseason at 35 yrs old, watch how he'll be missing a step come playoff time. :madrun

ATX Spur
08-03-2006, 09:44 PM
As a Spurs fan, I predict it will come back to haunt us during the '06-'07 season. :depressed Not resting his body this offseason at 35 yrs old, watch how he'll be missing a step come playoff time. :madrun

I care about that, but not as much as I'd love to see them put a shiny medal around Bruce's neck.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Now thats funny. :lol

AdmiralMVP
08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
maybe if stars would be able to do anything besides scoring, role players would not be needed for US national team. How many of NBA stars actually play good defense? It's all about offense this days in NBA and it bites them back at international stage.

I agree. Look at Lebron. He can shoot, rebound, and pass the ball, but he can't stay in front of his man. There are very few really good defensive players in the NBA these days.

E20
08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
It kinda sucks for them to use Bowen as their image of the USA and barely play him.

mabber
08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
It kinda sucks for them to use Bowen as their image of the USA and barely play him.

Since when were they using Bowen as their image of the USA? There just giving him the chance to make the team cuz he's a good defensive player. And it appears that they're gonna be playing up-tempo, run & gun hoops so I don't see him playing (assuming he makes the final cut) much since he's not the scorer that the rest of the guys are.