PDA

View Full Version : Not Freddy!!!

midgetonadonkey
08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/03/people.fender.ap/index.html

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) -- Musician Freddy Fender has incurable cancer, discovered after tumors were found on his lungs, and his wife said they are "hoping for a miracle."

"I feel very comfortable in my life," Fender told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times for a story published Wednesday. "I'm one year away from 70 and I've had a good run. I really believe I'm OK. In my mind and in my heart, I feel OK. I cannot complain that I haven't lived long enough, but I'd like to live longer."

Fender started his career in the late 1950s and hit the charts with "Before The Next Teardrop Falls," "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" and "You'll Lose A Good Thing." He has won three Grammy Awards, the most recent in 2002.

He was to have surgery in early January to remove the upper left lobe of his lung because of a fungal infection, but surgeons found two large tumors and left the lobe intact.

Fender underwent chemotherapy in late January but stopped because of its side effects. A scan later found nine more tumors.

He was resting at his home in Corpus Christi, said Vangie Huerta, his wife and manager, adding that she did not ask doctors to estimate how long he might live.

Fender, who has canceled all performances, has decided to resume chemotherapy at a lower dosage.

"We can prolong his life with medication or chemo, but it's not a cure," his wife said.

Fender received a kidney from his daughter in 2002 and a liver transplant in 2004. He has had problems with diabetes and hepatitis C.

SpursWoman
08-03-2006, 09:56 AM
That's sad ... :depressed

CubanMustGo
08-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Cancer totally sucks. Almost every male on my father's side of the family succumbed to one form of it or another. They discovered lung cancer in my father and he lasted less than a week.

Good luck to Freddy Fender.

Gatita
08-03-2006, 09:59 AM
What will San Benito do without him........ :depressed

MoSpur
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
That is sad. I hope he survives this.

gay abc
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
that is sad = (

my mother, who also lives in corpus, starts her radiation today and chemo next week for lung and thyroid cancer :depressed

1Parker1
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
that is sad = (

my mother, who also lives in corpus, starts her radiation today and chemo next week for lung and thyroid cancer :depressed

Best wishes to her. I hope she goes into remission.

Gatita
08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
that is sad = (

Sorry to hear that. :depressed

Sonia_TX
08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
that is sad = (

My cousin too... she has thyroid (that I was told... I don't think it's been figured out yet) and apparently the cancer has spread to her stomach. They put her in the hospital yesterday. She was supposed to go to Houston in two weeks for more procedures but since it's gotten worse they're going to start radiation.

Best wishes to your mom.

Gatita
08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
My cousin too... she has thyroid (that I was told... I don't think it's been figured out yet) and apparently the cancer has spread to her stomach. They put her in the hospital yesterday. She was supposed to go to Houston in two weeks for more procedures but since it's gotten worse they're going to start radiation.

Best wishes to your mom.

Your family too... :depressed

Check 360...

MoSpur
08-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Wow. I will be praying for Sonia's cousin and Gay ABC's mom.

Sonia_TX
08-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks MoSpur.... she's my dads cousin but I always call her Aunt Marta...

I haven't heard any news since Tuesday ...so I guess no news is not bad news.

Gatita I left you two comments.

batman2883
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
who the fuck is freddy?

sa_butta
08-03-2006, 01:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Fender

Sonia_TX
08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
who the fuck is freddy?

Did you not read the article?! It told you!

batman2883
08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
no i dont really care about some tejano singer............

Mixability
08-03-2006, 01:44 PM
no i dont really care about some tejano singer............

typical :rolleyes

tlongII
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Geez I hope they find more effective treatments for cancer soon! Cancer research and survivor advocacy groups are the one thing I donate $'s to more than anything else.