PDA

View Full Version : As Moon walks to podium, think of those who never got chance

GrandeDavid
08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/9583414/2

Aug. 3, 2006
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com National Columnist

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9583427.jpg

As always, this year's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction is a time for celebration. Six men are being enshrined, and so forth and so on, so you go ahead and watch the ceremony on Saturday and see their happy tears. You join them. Get sappy. Be happy.

Me? I'm ticked off.

I'm looking at 2006 Hall of Fame inductee Warren Moon, but I'm thinking about Tony Dungy and Eldridge Dickey.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9583415.jpg
How would Tony Dungy have fared as an NFL quarterback? We'll never know. (Getty Images)

Before he became one of the top coaches in the NFL, Dungy played three seasons as an NFL defensive back. Before that he was a college quarterback who broke nearly every passing record at the University of Minnesota. When he graduated in 1976, he was No. 4 in the Big Ten for career total offense. That's a pretty good league, the Big Ten.

Maybe Dungy wouldn't have become the next -- or rather, the first -- Warren Moon. But definitely Dungy was robbed, and we were robbed with him, of the chance to find out.

The year 1977 was no time to be a black quarterback with aspirations of playing at the highest level. To that point, exactly one black quarterback had ever been drafted in the first round; the AFL's Oakland Raiders took that man, Eldridge Dickey, in 1968 with the intent of switching him to receiver.

You've never heard of Eldridge Dickey. He was an All-American at Tennessee State with then-perfect size for an NFL quarterback: 6-feet-2, 200 pounds. Those who saw him say he could run and throw as well as the white quarterback Oakland took in the second round in 1968. We'll never know. Dickey played parts of just two seasons with Oakland, never at quarterback, and then was gone. He died of a stroke in 2000. He was a minister. In college his nickname was "The Lord's Prayer."

The white quarterback the Raiders took in the second round in 1968 was Ken Stabler. He could run, too, but he wasn't drafted to play anything but quarterback. Stabler would play 15 seasons in the NFL. He went to four Pro Bowls. His nickname was "The Snake."

We'll never know what kind of NFL quarterback Eldridge Dickey or Tony Dungy could have become because the white men who ran the NFL didn't want to find out. Hell, the same thing almost happened to Moon. If not for his world-class stubbornness, nobody would be celebrating his Hall of Fame career this weekend in Canton, Ohio.

Moon put up gaudy passing numbers out of high school in Los Angeles, but no Division I school wanted him unless he would switch positions. Washington is credited with being the first school to offer him a scholarship at quarterback, but the Huskies didn't make that offer until the following year, after he'd thrown for mass acreage at West Los Angeles Junior College. Moon rewarded the Huskies by leading them to their first Rose Bowl in 15 years.

The NFL rewarded Moon by ignoring him. The draft had 12 rounds in 1978. All told, 334 players were picked. Not Moon. In the weeks leading up to the draft, several teams told Moon they would draft him if he would switch positions.

Understand the subconscious bigotry in that request. When Dungy was moved to safety, NFL people told him he had the athletic ability and smarts to play quarterback, but lacked the arm. Fine. But then along comes Warren Moon, with more arm strength and athletic ability than most NFL quarterbacks. So what was missing? The smarts? And on what did NFL teams base that decision? The color of his skin?

Moon knew better. He went to Canada, where he threw for more than 21,000 yards and 144 touchdowns in six years, winning five Grey Cups.

The NFL relented. It was 1984. Doug Williams was in the USFL, but before that he had led the Bucs to the playoffs. Vince Evans also was in the USFL, but he too had been playing at a high level in the NFL. UNLV quarterback Randall Cunningham was a year away from entering the league. The NFL was starting to come around.

From 1984-2000 Moon threw for 49,325 yards and 291 touchdowns in the NFL, No. 3 and No. 4 all-time when he retired. He made eight straight Pro Bowls, a quarterback record. His nine 3,000-yard passing seasons were third all time. All of that, despite being denied a huge chunk of his NFL career.

In baseball that happened to Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams and Bob Feller, Hall of Famers who lost years of their prime to World War II or the Korean War. The difference, of course, is that DiMaggio and Co. lost years while fighting for their country. Moon lost years of his NFL prime while fighting -- by putting up black-and-white numbers in the CFL -- for racial equality.

The fight's over. Huge, athletic Vince Young wasn't asked to switch positions by the University of Texas, nor by the Tennessee Titans before going No. 3 in the 2006 draft. Young will play in the NFL, and he will play quarterback, and at some point this season he'll probably start. So will several other black quarterbacks around the league.

Indeed, the fight's over. Warren Moon won. To the NFL's betterment.

But Tony Dungy, Eldridge Dickey and scores of others lost. To the NFL's shame.

GrandeDavid
08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Warren Moon is my favorite football player all time. I'm so happy he is getting inducted into the Hall. He was a warrior and consummate professional as a player, but unfortunately he was surrounded by chokers on defense year after year come playoff time. Didn't even make it to the AFC Championship game. That's hardcore! Anyway, I'm happy for you, Warren, although you are somewhat aloof and hard to hear about.

exstatic
08-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Nolan Cromwell - All American QB at Kansas. Switched to safety "by the NFL". White.
Bruce Hardy - QB Arizona. Switched to tight end "by the NFL". White.
Matt Jones - QB Arkansas. Switched to WR "by the NFL". White.
Eric Crouch - QB Nebraska. Heisman. Switched to WR "by the NFL. White.

The man is trying to hold the white man down.

Seriously, what the above quarterbacks and the brothers of a bygone era have in common is the total lack of preparedness for the pro set offense. If you don't get it in college, you won't have a chance in the NFL. Option quarterbacks do not thrive there. The change had to happen at the NCAA level first, and then "trickle up" to the NFL.

shyne
08-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Warren Moon is also my favorite player of all time

JealousOnesNV
08-05-2006, 02:01 AM
Nolan Cromwell - All American QB at Kansas. Switched to safety "by the NFL". White.
Bruce Hardy - QB Arizona. Switched to tight end "by the NFL". White.
Matt Jones - QB Arkansas. Switched to WR "by the NFL". White.
Eric Crouch - QB Nebraska. Heisman. Switched to WR "by the NFL. White.

The man is trying to hold the white man down.

Seriously, what the above quarterbacks and the brothers of a bygone era have in common is the total lack of preparedness for the pro set offense. If you don't get it in college, you won't have a chance in the NFL. Option quarterbacks do not thrive there. The change had to happen at the NCAA level first, and then "trickle up" to the NFL.What are you talking about? There were plenty of Black QB's from the past who ran pro style sets in College, they didn't get a chance to play QB in the NFL. You should read this article http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_01018.shtml

exstatic
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
What are you talking about? There were plenty of Black QB's from the past who ran pro style sets in College, they didn't get a chance to play QB in the NFL. You should read this article http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_01018.shtml
OK, I did read the article. Doesn't really contradict what I said. Lot's of option QBs and gimmick offense (run and shoot) QBs. Neither kind is successful in the NFL, black or white. For every Andre Ware, there is also a David Klingler. Lots of college QBs, black and white, get converted at the NFL level.

There were probably incidents of prejudice, but to say that all, or even most of the gentlemen in that article were denied NFL QB opportunities because they were black is ludicrous. JC Watts & Thomas Lott or Dameyune Craig were just never going to be NFL QBs. Neither were Nolan Cromwell, Bruce Hardy or Matt Jones.

JealousOnesNV
08-05-2006, 03:28 PM
OK, I did read the article. Doesn't really contradict what I said. Lot's of option QBs and gimmick offense (run and shoot) QBs. Neither kind is successful in the NFL, black or white. For every Andre Ware, there is also a David Klingler. Lots of college QBs, black and white, get converted at the NFL level.

There were probably incidents of prejudice, but to say that all, or even most of the gentlemen in that article were denied NFL QB opportunities because they were black is ludicrous. JC Watts & Thomas Lott or Dameyune Craig were just never going to be NFL QBs. Neither were Nolan Cromwell, Bruce Hardy or Matt Jones.
"The NFL did not have black players from 1934 to 1946."That covers about 1/4 of the men in the article right there. According to what you said, the majority of black QB's that were either not drafted or drafted to play another position in the NFL was because they werent prepared to play QB at that level. Now thats ludicrous. Actually a vast majority of college teams primarily ran the football back in the day. There were not very many teams running pro sets as they do in todays college game, yet black QB's went undrafted. I'm sure that atleast ONE black signal caller could have led an NFL team to the promise land before Doug Williams. The opportunities were not there.

exstatic
08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Actually a vast majority of college teams primarily ran the football back in the day. There were not very many teams running pro sets as they do in todays college game, yet black QB's went undrafted. I'm sure that atleast ONE black signal caller could have led an NFL team to the promise land before Doug Williams. The opportunities were not there.
It's not so much the volume of runs as who's doing it. If you are the QB (black or white, as I've shown) , and most of your time is spent running parallel to the LOS, then pitching at the last minute, or maybe keeping it if they play the left halfback, you're not going to make it in the NFL.

I can really only speak to the period from maybe 1970 to today, but there are PLENTY of colleges that ran dropback passing schemes, and they produce NFL quarterbacks. Schools like Miami, BYU, and Purdue are feeder systems for the NFL and always have been. Others, like Michigan, weren't before, but scrapped their option systems and went to pro set, and have a string of drafted and successful QBs.

That's what the NFL wants. That's what the NFL has always wanted. There are wildly successful universities that produce fine NCAA QBs that are utter flops in the NFL. Florida, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska come to mind. Lotta NFL never weres, flops and mediocrity there. THEY DON'T PRODUCE WHAT THE NFL WANTS.

JealousOnesNV
08-07-2006, 11:21 PM
It's not so much the volume of runs as who's doing it. If you are the QB (black or white, as I've shown) , and most of your time is spent running parallel to the LOS, then pitching at the last minute, or maybe keeping it if they play the left halfback, you're not going to make it in the NFL.

I can really only speak to the period from maybe 1970 to today, but there are PLENTY of colleges that ran dropback passing schemes, and they produce NFL quarterbacks. Schools like Miami, BYU, and Purdue are feeder systems for the NFL and always have been. Others, like Michigan, weren't before, but scrapped their option systems and went to pro set, and have a string of drafted and successful QBs.

That's what the NFL wants. That's what the NFL has always wanted. There are wildly successful universities that produce fine NCAA QBs that are utter flops in the NFL. Florida, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska come to mind. Lotta NFL never weres, flops and mediocrity there. THEY DON'T PRODUCE WHAT THE NFL WANTS.Many black QB's were passed over well before that by the NFL and College. Like I said before the opportunities just were not there.

valluco
08-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Moon is also my all-time favorite QB with McNair in 2nd place. I rember watching Moon destroy the Cheifs back in the day. I think he passed for just over 500 yards - a few yards shy of breaking the record for most passing yards in a game.

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Im really glad to see Moon inducted. I use to be a huge Oilers fan. I got several autographs from him attending training camps here in San Antonio. Great guy and a great QB. Congrats to Warren Moon.