PDA

View Full Version : Amare out, USA roster down to 14

Kori Ellis
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (August 3, 2006) - USA World Championship finalist Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns) will not participate the in team's exhibition game versus Puerto Rico this evening and will not travel with the team during its pre-World Championship tour, USA Basketball Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo announced today.

"During the past few days of our training camp we concluded that it would be difficult for Amaré to continue with the rehabilitation he needs to do while the team continues its training in Asia. He is not quite where he needs to be and he needs to continue his work here in the States to get ready for the season. He is also expecting the birth of a child, so we decided it would be best if he returned home," said Colangelo.

Stoudemire is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee that was done April 5, 2006, and he also underwent surgery to repair a joint surface defect in his left knee on Oct. 15, 2005. He played in three Phoenix games in 2005-06.

The 14 finalists contending for the 12-man 2006 USA Basketball Men's World Championship Team roster include: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Chris Paul (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets); and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

Duke University head coach Mike Krzyzewski was named on Oct. 26, 2005, head coach of the USA Senior Team Program for 2006-2008, and named as assistant coaches were Syracuse University (N.Y.) and Hall of Fame mentor Jim Boeheim, Phoenix Suns head mentor Mike D'Antoni and Portland Trail Blazers head coach Nate McMillan.

The USA Team will conclude its training in Las Vegas Thursday evening when it meets Puerto Rico in the 2006 State Farm USA Basketball Challenge at the Thomas & Mack Center (8 p.m. PDT). The game is being televised live by ESPN2.

The USA's training moves to Guangzhou, China, where the team will train Aug. 6, and play two games as part of the China Basketball Challenge, facing China on Aug. 7 and Brazil on Aug. 8.

From Aug. 11-15 the USA will participate in the five-team World Basketball Challenge 2006 that will be held in Seoul, Korea, at the site of the 1988 Olympic Games basketball competition - Jamsil Gymnasium. The Challenge features national teams from the United States, Italy, Korea, Lithuania and Turkey.

The World Basketball Challenge 2006 officially gets underway Friday, Aug. 11, when Korea plays Turkey (6 p.m., all times local). On Saturday, Aug. 12, Korea will take on Lithuania (2 p.m.), while Italy and Turkey (4 p.m.) will clash in the evening's second game. The USA opens its play on Sunday, Aug. 13, against Lithuania (2 p.m.), and Korea versus Italy (4 p.m.) caps the day's schedule. The Challenge concludes Tuesday, Aug. 15, with Korea meeting the U.S. (3 p.m. local time). The U.S. squad is also scheduled to train in Seoul on Aug. 11, 12, 14, and 16.

The USA's visit to China and Korea mark the first time that a USA men's senior national basketball team comprised of NBA players has visited either country.

The United States will depart on Aug.17 for Sapporo, Japan, where it will play its preliminary round games of the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Men from Aug. 19-24.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-03-2006, 05:27 PM
C Howard/Miller
PF Brand/Bosh/Jamison
SF James/Anthony/Battier
SG Wade/Johnson/Bowen
PG Arenas/Paul/Hinrich
Battier and Hinrich are gonna be cut.

ShoogarBear
08-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I still have no idea why Antawn Jamison is still on the roster. :huh

usckk
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I think it would be Jamison and Battier cut.

usckk
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
We need Hendrick's shooting ability.

confined
08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
is that joe johnson?

Dre_7
08-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I still have no idea why Antawn Jamison is still on the roster. :huh

Id rather have him than Joe Johnson. :lol Unreal.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Is anyone else hoping Bruce does NOT make it, so

a) He'll be very refocused and determined this regular nba season for not getting picked

and

b) He won't be very tired and fatigued this regular nba season for not getting picked.

??

Sway
08-03-2006, 07:06 PM

a) He'll be very refocused and determined this regular nba season for not getting picked

and

b) He won't be very tired and fatigued this regular nba season for not getting picked.

??

No, I hope he makes it. How can you root against Bruce?

LaMarcus Bryant
08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I am not rooting against him--hes my 3rd favorite spur ever. But we will see effects if he plays with fiba. He's no spring chicken.

ALVAREZ6
08-03-2006, 07:27 PM

and

??
No.

da_suns_fan__
08-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Id rather have him than Joe Johnson. :lol Unreal.
Wow...Judging by your huge Wade signature, I would think that you would be an excellent judge of talent. But.how could someone really not realize that Joe Johnson is one of the most polished players in the world??

"I don't know if there can be a more solid player," said Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski. "He can play four positions, he shoots, he defends and doesn't say a peep about anything. There's high maintenance, low maintenance and no maintenance. Joe's no maintenance. ... I think he's a star."

"He's so smooth and efficient," Paul said. "I don't know that I've ever played with a guy with his combination of size (6-feet-7, 230 pounds), basketball IQ and just pure natural talent. Joe's one of those guys that just always seems to be in the right place at the right time."

LaMarcus Bryant
08-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah okay people then i will be the very first to bump this thread when the first bitcher about bowen being burnt midseason starts ranting.

ATX Spur
08-03-2006, 09:47 PM

and

??

Nope, not me.

da_suns_fan__
08-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Bump...wheres that guy who actually rolled his eyes at Joe Johnson?

ShoogarBear
08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Brad Miller theoretically is the perfect center for international rules.

Unfortunately, in practice he's sucked for most of the past year or so.

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2006, 12:36 AM
why was amare on the team in the first place anyway...

bmiller is douche

ALVAREZ6
08-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah okay people then i will be the very first to bump this thread when the first bitcher about bowen being burnt midseason starts ranting.
Bowen won't be burnt. He's in great shape, even at his age. No need to bump this thread at all.

mabber
08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
why was amare on the team in the first place anyway...

bmiller is douche

Because D'Antoni is an assistant coach on the team and he wanted Amare to get some practice time against really good players to evaluate where he's at.

They knew all along that Amare wasn't going to make the team.

mabber
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Wow...Judging by your huge Wade signature, I would think that you would be an excellent judge of talent. But.how could someone really not realize that Joe Johnson is one of the most polished players in the world??

"I don't know if there can be a more solid player," said Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski. "He can play four positions, he shoots, he defends and doesn't say a peep about anything. There's high maintenance, low maintenance and no maintenance. Joe's no maintenance. ... I think he's a star."

"He's so smooth and efficient," Paul said. "I don't know that I've ever played with a guy with his combination of size (6-feet-7, 230 pounds), basketball IQ and just pure natural talent. Joe's one of those guys that just always seems to be in the right place at the right time."

No doubt...Johnson definitely deserves to be on the team.

tlongII
08-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Bruce Bowen should be cut. The guy sucks ass.

waterbottle2000
08-05-2006, 12:53 AM
coach k and his staff are so racist
they only cut amare cause hes black

Parker 09
08-05-2006, 10:17 AM
please tell me your being sarcastic
if not then your a moron

Brick|ayer
08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Brad Miller is going to average the most points and rebounds this summer for team USA.

You heard it here first.

mabber
08-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Brad Miller is going to average the most points and rebounds this summer for team USA.

You heard it here first.

That will be a good trick seeing he's not going to play that many minutes.

waterbottle2000
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
i say brad miller will average a triple double

TheSanityAnnex
08-05-2006, 07:55 PM
C Howard/Miller
PF Brand/Bosh/Jamison
SF James/Anthony/Battier
SG Wade/Johnson/Bowen
PG Arenas/Paul/Hinrich
Battier and Hinrich are gonna be cut.
Do you not understand the international game? Miller is much much better for this format. It is not a question.

orhe
08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
but miller's gonna get abused... when teams see Miller in the middle they are going to drive like crazy!