PDA

View Full Version : Another question: Need Computer Help

usckk
08-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Which is more important? More Ram or Faster Processor? I'm getting a laptop by the way.

baseline bum
08-03-2006, 09:29 PM
More RAM

usckk
08-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, thanks a lot Baseline! You've helped mucho!!!!!!!!

baseline bum
08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
You won't notice any difference with a slightly faster processor, except for things like how long it takes to compress a video ( which is highly-dependent on the CPU). Everything your computer does is highly-dependent on your RAM, and when you add extra RAM you're usually adding a pretty significant amount. By all means, go for extra RAM over a faster CPU if the price is the same. If by faster CPU, you mean the difference between having a Pentium vs having a Celeron, it's much closer, but I'd prob still opt for the RAM unless you do lots of gaming, video editing, or anything else that requires a lot of CPU usage on it. If it's just the difference of a few MHz, RAM upgrade is clearly the way to go.

Nbadan
08-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Most laptops are easy to add more RAM, but you can't upgrade your processor. I guess your question depends on the difference in speed of the processors. If your going from a Celeron 2.4 to a 64-bit AMD that's a big difference in speed and capability.

resistanze
08-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah, it would be more helpful if you gave an example of the CPUs and RAM capacity you are thinking about. One can be more important than the other depending on what types you're talking about.

usckk
08-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Choices:
1) Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2) a
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
or

2) Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM

PM5K
08-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Most laptops are easy to add more RAM, but you can't upgrade your processor. I guess your question depends on the difference in speed of the processors. If your going from a Celeron 2.4 to a 64-bit AMD that's a big difference in speed and capability.

Thank GOD for NBADAN because the other posters are giving horrible recommendations.

How could you recommend an easily upgradeable, inexpensive part over one that is not easily upgradeable and very expensive.....

If you look back two years down the road you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out what BUS speed your processor is, and what chipset it works with, and if your BIOS supports it, instead of just doing a simple RAM upgrade...

Go with the faster processor, RAM is much more easily upgradeable in the future...

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2006, 12:14 AM
go for 2gb ram and dual core conroe cpu, thats if your plannin on usin windows vista in the future....since 2gb ram is the minimum req for vista....

PM5K
08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Who are you buying the laptop from?

Anytime you have Dual Channel RAM you will have two DIMMS, so the 1GB is 2 512MB and the 2GB is 2 1GB.

That also means that to upgrade the 1GB you'll be best off replacing them with 2 1GB which means you won't be using the 512MB...

Current Prices on DDR2 533 is about 175.00 for 2 1GB sticks, if you upgrade it in the future costs are likely to be even less...

I'd also imagine the CPU difference is less than 100.00 while the memory upgrade is probably 300+, wait it out and when you decide it's time to upgrade sell your old 512MB sticks and get new 1GB sticks for 175, or less (probably less especially counting what you get for the old memory)....

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2006, 12:26 AM
go for 2 sticks of 1gb ddr = 2gb ddr

im not talkin about ddr = dance dance revolution where all the asian teenyboppers dance on :D:D

usckk
08-04-2006, 12:27 AM
It's from dell.

Pistons < Spurs
08-04-2006, 12:30 AM
go for 2gb ram and dual core conroe cpu, thats if your plannin on usin windows vista in the future....since 2gb ram is the minimum req for vista....

Where are you geting you information from??? Whoever it is, stop listening to them. Min requirements for vista will be 512 .... that allows you to run the 'core' components of the OS. If you want the Aero visuals and all the extras of their premium version, you'll have to bump up to 1gb.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/systemrequirements.mspx

baseline bum
08-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Thank GOD for NBADAN because the other posters are giving horrible recommendations.

How could you recommend an easily upgradeable, inexpensive part over one that is not easily upgradeable and very expensive.....

If you look back two years down the road you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out what BUS speed your processor is, and what chipset it works with, and if your BIOS supports it, instead of just doing a simple RAM upgrade...

Go with the faster processor, RAM is much more easily upgradeable in the future...

Go back and read what I said. It was on the idea that they were two of the same processors, with only a difference in clockspeed. Of course I would recommend a better processor if the choices were wildly different (ie, as in Dan's post, Athlon 64 vs. Celeron).

I'd pick choice 2 if it was me, especially on a college student's budget. An extra 1GB of RAM is going to run you $90 or so to upgrade.

Nbadan
08-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I'm with Bumm. The extra processing and bus speed aren't gonna make that much of a difference and the added RAM will be worth the sacrafice.

E20
08-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Get at least 2mghz so you can play Obilvion on there, I know I sure can't. :pctoss

BIG IRISH
08-04-2006, 02:45 AM
It is like making LOVE

MORE RAM :lol

leemajors
08-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Where are you geting you information from??? Whoever it is, stop listening to them. Min requirements for vista will be 512 .... that allows you to run the 'core' components of the OS. If you want the Aero visuals and all the extras of their premium version, you'll have to bump up to 1gb.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/systemrequirements.mspx

looks interesting, i had given up hope it would ever come out, i heard the development has been hellish. looks like they tried to rip off widgets from os x with "gadgets"

CharlieMac
08-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Most newer Dells are coming Vista ready either way.

spurster
08-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Given a choice, get more RAM. However, don't get a dog of a processor (e.g. Celeron).

resistanze
08-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Choices:
1) Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2) a
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
or

2) Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM

I'm buying a laptop later this month and I'm personally going with option #1.

The jump from 1GB to 2GB is nowhere near as significant as 512MB to 1GB. I don't know if this will change in the future (ie: Vista), but as many have already said, RAM in the majority of laptops can be upgraded.