PDA

View Full Version : ipod suggestions

emo serb
08-03-2006, 10:06 PM
hmm well yesterday was my birthday and i ordered an ipod video last night. i got a case with it but was wondering if there are some other things that would be useful for it. i have about 35 dollars i could spend for some accessories, any ideas? should i save up for something or what? i need help. :lol

usckk
08-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I would definently get a FM transmitter or Tape adapter for your car to play your ipod!

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-04-2006, 01:14 AM
I don't think he can drive yet.

Better headphones...

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-04-2006, 01:16 AM
I heard on the radio today that by either next year or '08, 70% of all vehicles will be iPod friendly.
You might want to wait on that adapter.

Slydragon
08-04-2006, 05:31 AM
You need this case

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BV9JM8/sr=8-23/qid=1154687407/ref=sr_1_23/102-3450652-6212919?ie=UTF8

I have it for mine and it has Zero scratches, my friends who is newer than mine is all scuff up.

emo serb
08-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I can't drive yet. But I turned 16 so I'm close to getting my license.
Slydragon, I looked at the case you have and the one I got looks similar...my ipod case (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/iSee-Protective-Case-for-30GB-iPod-with-Video-ISEEV30-/sem/rpsm/oid/145179/catOid/-14962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)
Thanks for the help though.

Mixability
08-04-2006, 08:17 AM
If you like the slim feel of the ipod and don't want to "bulk it up" in a case, get a protector from www.shieldzone.com

http://www.appleshield.com/images/ipodad05_22.gif

It protects the front and back of the ipod, including the click wheel, without you having to put it in a ugly case. If you "register" the protector, it has a lifetime guarantee. That means, if you ever have to service the ipod and/or get a replacement ipod, you let send them the old one in any condition and they'll replace it at only the cost of shipping. This includes if the protector gets torn and or scratched from normal use.

emo serb
08-04-2006, 08:31 AM
I thought about one of those too, but I'm afraid I would drop it or something like that.

Mixability
08-04-2006, 08:32 AM
I thought about one of those too, but I'm afraid I would drop it or something like that.

Yeah, it wouldn't offer much protection if you drop it, but I enjoy that the look of the ipod isn't covered by leather and/or ugly plastic.

leemajors
08-04-2006, 08:51 AM
none of the cases do much if you drop the iPod. it can still be dented. and if it's dented, you're out of luck. i work for Apple, dents, however minor, void the product warranty. keep it far away from liquid too.

emo serb
08-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Why did they make ipods scratch so easy? But even if I did drop it, I would rather drop it with a plastic hard cover around it than a little clear protecter.

leemajors
08-04-2006, 09:06 AM
they don't really scratch all that easy, and it's pretty tough to dent them as well. we had a little class where we got to see if we could dent them. it is an LCD screen though, and can be scratched. a lot of people just put them in their pockets, which is just a bad idea. they forget they have something else in there, like change, and wham it scratches. the thing danyo posted seems great for screen protection. they are fairly lenient about scratches when you send them in, it's something that happens. a gouge is entirely different.

ALVAREZ6
08-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I heard on the radio today that by either next year or '08, 70% of all vehicles will be iPod friendly.
You might want to wait on that adapter.
:lol
That's rediculous. You're telling him to wait on that adapter, when he would have to buy a brand new car. I think an adapter is much cheaper.

TheSanityAnnex
08-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Save up and get the Bose SoundDock for your ipod. The music quality from that small little box is amazing. I don't even use my home stereo anymore, just the Bose.

usckk
08-04-2006, 09:19 AM
OMG, the scratches piss me off so much. I take EXTREME care of it. Its pretty much unavoidable. I have a silicon case and a hard case, so it will not break even if i drop it on pavement. As for the clear, thin shield thing...it will prevent it from having scractches, but it makes the ipod less "sexy". The shield dulls the screen and sometimes the bubbles don't go away.

Basically, there's no clear cut way to completly keep it scractch free.

usckk
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Save up and get the Bose SoundDock for your ipod. The music quality from that small little box is amazing. I don't even use my home stereo anymore, just the Bose.

That's a good idea. But Bose ones are really really expensive. There are ones a lot cheapter. But yeah, you should get one of those. It keeps your ipod charged and you get to play music without headphones. The charger part is very important. IT WAY faster than charging by plugging it up to the USB.

P.S. keep your ipod charged as long as possible. Its a misconception to drain the battery first then charge it. Ipods have lithium-ion batteries, not llike the alkaine batters cell phones have, which you DO have to drain first before charging.

leemajors
08-04-2006, 09:27 AM
the battery will last longer if you don't constantly charge it when it's half full. not talking about the length of charge, but the overall lifespan of the battery will be greater. usckk, i don't know what kind of phone you have, but my cell phones have had LI-ion batteries for the last 3-4 years.

TheSanityAnnex
08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
That's a good idea. But Bose ones are really really expensive. There are ones a lot cheapter. But yeah, you should get one of those. The sound quality from the lesser models just doesn't compare. If you are going to spend $100 on one of those, you might as well cough up another $150 for the Bose. If you enjoy live music, the Bose recreates it wonderfully.

emo serb
08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
One of those would be nice, but those are kind of...expensive lol. But I do think I would need some type of charger. I've looked around and here are some of the things I was thinking about getting:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1086/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/t6714lla_125.jpg
Belkin Battery Pack for iPod (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/6.RSLID?mco=1028B69&nplm=T6714LL%2FA)
The Belkin Battery Pack keeps the music playing by letting you power your iPod device with replaceable batteries - even when your internal battery is drained. It's a great solution for long plane flights, or hikes, or for anytime you don't have access to an AC outlet. The Battery Pack uses four standard "AA" alkaline batteries that you can simply replace when the charge is gone. Discreet suction cups secure the unit to the back of your iPod, without marring your iPod's finish. In addition, the Battery Pack incorporates a charge-level indicator, so you can tell ahead of time when your batteries are running low and never be caught without your tunes again.

Features

Provides 12-15 hours of battery life
Secure Switch - prevents accidental on/off powering
Comes with 2 extra suction cups
Charge-level indicator, so you'll know when to replace your batteries
Includes 4 "AA" batteries, for virtually unlimited playing time.
3-Year Product Warranty by Belkin
-----------------
http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/gff/EC.GFF.EARJAMS.JPG
Griffin Technology iPod EarJams (EARJAMS) (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Griffin-Technology-iPod-EarJams-EARJAMS-/sem/rpsm/oid/144802/catOid/-14781/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

Snap on: EarJams easily snap onto your Apple earbuds. Each set of EarJams comes with three sizes of earpads to give you a snug and comfortable fit. In fact, with the Earjams sitting comfortably in your ear, you hear more of your music and less outside noise than you ever did with your earbuds alone. Earpads are washable and removeable, and did we mention comfortable?

Compatible with: 3rd generation iPod earphones. (Does this mean it wouldn't work with mine?)
----------------
The battery pack would be nice if I wasn't around a computer and just to keep my battery from dieing. And the earphone attachment thing would be nice because I know the ones they give you don't block out sound well, I'm just not sure if it would work with the ones I'm going to get. Tell me what you think, thanks.