PDA

View Full Version : Ballad of Ricky Bobby

DarkReign
08-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Tom Long
Detroit News
Linkage (http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060804/OPINION03/608040399/1034/ENT02)

Silly, slap-happy fun with absolutely no redeeming value or pretense thereof, "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" is going to delight Will Ferrell fans. It's his funniest starring vehicle since "Anchorman" (admittedly, that's not saying much) and the best purely comic film since "The Wedding Crashers."

True, it's not much of a movie, but then who cares? Directed by "Anchorman" mastermind and former "Saturday Night Live" head writer Adam McKay, the film is really just a series of skits built around one set of characters, same as so many other former "SNL"-star vehicles. The difference is these characters and these skits are hilarious.

Whether the NASCAR nation thinks all this is funny remains to be seen. The sport of race car driving and its attendant culture take some serious beatings here.

The questions will be: A. Are NASCAR fans so stupid they won't realize they're being made fun of; B. Are NASCAR fans so smart they'll be able to take the ribbing and laugh; or C. Do NASCAR fans go to movies or do they just watch cars go around and around and around?

No matter which, those outside the NASCAR scene will find themselves laughing aloud throughout this film. Ferrell stars as Ricky Bobby, born with a burning desire to race cars to a rebellious dad (Gary Cole) and patient mom (Jane Lynch). He gets his chance while working in a NASCAR pit crew, taking over for a driver who's so lazy he stops for a chicken sandwich mid-race.

Soon Ricky Bobby is a racing legend, with his childhood chum, Cal Naughton Jr. (John C. Reilly), racing alongside him and setting him up for win after win. Ricky marries a blond hottie, Carley (Leslie Bibb), has two obnoxious spoiled kids (Walker and Texas Ranger; the names are consistently funny) and earns millions.

But then tragedy strikes. A gay French race car driver (Sacha Baron Cohen) enters the NASCAR circuit with the intent of beating Ricky Bobby. Not only is our hero humiliated, but he's also hospitalized, and eventually reduced to making pizza deliveries. Can Ricky Bobby come back to greatness?

One of the smartest things about "Talladega" is that Ferrell and McKay seek out new blood instead of relying on old friends such as the Wilson brothers and Ben Stiller in cameos. Reilly is stone perfect as Ricky's equally dimwitted sidekick, and Cole almost steals the film as the derelict daddy. Bibb is an exquisite vision of trash, and Cohen -- known best as Ali G from the HBO series -- is a pip of a gay Frenchman.

Sure it's a bit of a waste to keep eventual romantic interest Amy Adams out of the film until so late in the game, err, race, but structure is not what this movie's about. In fact, many of its funniest parts seem improvised, and McKay is right in a movie like this to leave continuity on the cutting room floor while going for the biggest laughs.

He does just that and ends the film with a series of outtakes that on their own are funnier than most of the comedies of the past year. "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" is perfectly stupid chuckleheaded bliss, an achievement of the lowest and highest order. Every week should hold a movie like this.
----------------------------------

Sounds and looks hilarious. I enjoy comedies that do not aim to high. Be what you are; a parody on life.

NorCal510
08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
this movie look retarted

RickyBobby
08-04-2006, 12:17 PM
this movie look retarted

Please keep your face out this thread! This is the best movie of the year!!

CavsSuperFan
08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Possibly the greatest film ever made since Gone with the Wind or Gone in 60 Seconds....

DarkReign
08-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Possibly the greatest film ever made since Gone with the Wind or Gone in 60 Seconds....

:lmao

I just find rednecks to be hilarious. Especially the NASCAR freaks...I watch SPEED channel just to laugh uproariously at all the "talent" they get on their shows.

phyzik
08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
this movie look retarted

This ironic quote brought to you by a white guy impersonating a black person. :oops

perhaps you should look to yourself before making such comments.

midgetonadonkey
08-04-2006, 03:25 PM
this movie look retarted

I bet you are a fan of White Boys.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2262/whiteboysko6.jpg

Jekka
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
This ironic quote brought to you by a white guy impersonating a black person. :oops

perhaps you should look to yourself before making such comments.

I think some of the irony also lies in his inability to spell "retarded".

KEDA
08-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I already got my tickets

I cant wait

its the same group that did Anchorman (top 3 alltime for me) and its NASCAR, what else could you ask for?

NorCal510
08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I already got my tickets

I cant wait

its the same group that did Anchorman (top 3 alltime for me) and its NASCAR, what else could you ask for?
:lmao redneck right hure!!

Buddy Holly
08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
"I can't play guitar anymore."

"You don't need your legs to play guitar."

"Don't tell me lies!"

:lol

"Wow, this is like Highlander."

"What's Highlander?"

"It's a movie. It won an Oscar."

"Oh really, what for?"

"Best movie ever made."

:lol :lol

Buddy Holly
08-04-2006, 04:39 PM

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2262/whiteboysko6.jpg

I've watched that movie... :depressed

Bob Lanier
08-04-2006, 04:48 PM
:lmao

I just find rednecks to be hilarious. Especially the NASCAR freaks...I watch SPEED channel just to laugh uproariously at all the "talent" they get on their shows.
:tu

The main problem with this movie is Will Ferrell - he's tediously unfunny, and yet even with such a talented supporting cast he'll undoubtedly spend far too much time on the screen.

DirkAB
08-04-2006, 04:55 PM

The main problem with this movie is Will Ferrell - he's tediously unfunny, and yet even with such a talented supporting cast he'll undoubtedly spend far too much time on the screen.

Anybody that doesn't find Will Ferrell funny, might not have a soul.

NorCal510
08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
he iight

DarkReign
08-04-2006, 05:19 PM

Agreed, Mr Lanier.

DarkReign
08-04-2006, 05:20 PM
"I can't play guitar anymore."

"You don't need your legs to play guitar."

"Don't tell me lies!"

"Wow, this is like Highlander."

"What's Highlander?"

"It's a movie. It won an Oscar."

"Oh really, what for?"

"Best movie ever made."

:lol :lol

ATHF ownz

"Yeah, I come with action bills."

KEDA
08-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I am waiting in line here at Northwoods, I'm super excited!!

woooooohooooooo!!!!!!

KEDA
08-05-2006, 09:01 AM
LMFAO

funny ass movie, almost as good as Anchorman.

the only thing holding it back is you have to understand NASCAR to get a few of the jokes, if you dont understand how sponsorships work, you wont find them as funny.

Ill go see it again.

sa_butta
08-05-2006, 09:09 AM

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2262/whiteboysko6.jpgLOL I remember that. I like the part where he says
you see that (pointing to a birthmark) that is my real skin color, the rest of me is just a birthmark.:lol Reminds me of Norcal.

sa_butta
08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
LMFAO

funny ass movie, almost as good as Anchorman.

the only thing holding it back is you have to understand NASCAR to get a few of the jokes, if you dont understand how sponsorships work, you wont find them as funny.

Ill go see it again.Did you see him on Larry King last night? Dale Jr. called in to talk some smack. It was pretty funny cause Will Ferrell never got out of character during the interview.

KEDA
08-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Nah, we watched the movie, then we went to dinner and then home.

50+ hours at the store make me tired real quick!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Nah, we watched the movie, then we went to dinner and then home.

50+ hours at the store make me tired real quick!

Pussy.

Just kidding.

<------45+ hours in the newsroom this week (since Tuesday) and I'm about to leave for another 10-12 hour shift.

KEDA
08-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I feel ya Joe.

I worked 39 hours in a 3 day stretch last week, and we start 6 day work weeks tomorrow.

life isnt good now, I hate Back To School.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I feel ya Joe.

I worked 39 hours in a 3 day stretch last week, and we start 6 day work weeks tomorrow.

life isnt good now, I hate Back To School.

The tax-free questions this weekend have to be a bitch.

KEDA
08-05-2006, 09:44 AM
you know, not as much as you think

we will have a few that get pissed at us, but most realize that its the gub-a-ments deal not ours.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2006, 09:50 AM
you know, not as much as you think

we will have a few that get pissed at us, but most realize that its the gub-a-ments deal not ours.

Your not-so-subtle threats to shove a USB drive up their ass must make them restrain themselves, too.

KEDA
08-05-2006, 09:51 AM
you know, that works as well

NorCal510
08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
keda =redneck

KEDA
08-05-2006, 01:45 PM
keda =redneck

thank you!

phyzik
08-05-2006, 01:52 PM
keda =redneck

whats worse, a redneck....

or a redneck who pretends he's black.... :lol

IceColdBrewski
08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
This movie is basically NASCAR making fun of itself just to get their name out there a little more. The fact that a NASCAR hater is helping them do that with this thread is pretty damn funny.

IceColdBrewski
08-05-2006, 04:51 PM
And for those of you who don't know, San Antonio does have a NASCAR sanctioned speedway. Racing usually starts around 7:00 p.m. every Saturday night during the season. It's usually over somewhere between 10:30 and midnight depending on how many crashes there are. It's an entertaining way to spend a Saturday night whenever you get sick of taking the family to the same old places (Dinner/Movie, etc).

http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com/index

As for myself, I'm spending a couple of weeks up here in Sparta Wisconsin. Since there isn't much to do here, I'll be spending my Saturday night with the family here:

http://www.lacrossespeedway.com/

:D

Okay. Let the redneck jokes fly. I'm a city slicker who just loves to watch racin. I guess that makes me an honorary redneck :eyebrows

Clandestino
08-05-2006, 11:48 PM
bad ass movie... just saw it...
fucking hilarious and i hate nascar..

Zombie
08-05-2006, 11:50 PM
You couldn't pay me to see that movie! :rolleyes

Leetonidas
08-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I saw it yesterday. It was hilarious. :lol

Jimcs50
08-07-2006, 09:47 AM
It was good. If you like Will Ferrell you will like it.

Jimcs50
08-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Too bad, I was going to send you a check for $1000.00, but nevermind.

MoSpur
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Saw it on Friday night. I laughed a lot. Its very funny. The part where they're at the dinner table and the kids start telling their grandpa off is my favorite.

SpursWoman
08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Did someone say NASCAR?

http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/hairyback.jpg

DarkReign
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
This movie is basically NASCAR making fun of itself just to get their name out there a little more. The fact that a NASCAR hater is helping them do that with this thread is pretty damn funny.

I am a victim of all things corporate. This movie isnt Days of Thunder, its making fun of rednecks and the stereotypical degenerate that has the patience (or head injury) to watch cars take left turns all afternoon whilst swilling down some cheap beer and weaving tales of personal driving accomplishment.

Its all very humorous if you strip yourself of taste and intelligence.

BTW, this whole post...totally sarcastic, yet not really.

DarkReign
08-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Did someone say NASCAR?

:lmao pwnd

Sportcamper
08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
NOOO DON'T DO IT! That is the demon photo!!!!! :wow

Sportcamper
08-07-2006, 11:51 AM
On Any Sunday...
Endless Summer...
Days of Thunder...

All Must Have DVD Classic’s.... :smokin

DarkReign
08-07-2006, 12:10 PM
On Any Sunday...
Endless Summer...
Days of Thunder...

All Must Have DVD Classic’s.... :smokin

Dude, you just named the last 3 VHS tapes I own. Nicely done.

Sportcamper
08-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Also “Steel Magnolias”... (http://plissken.free.fr/Covers/S/Steel%20Magnolias%20frt.jpg)I cry my eyes out every time I see it....

KEDA
08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
"If you dont chew Big Red gum, then fuck you!"

DirkAB
08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
The prayer before dinner and hospital scene or scenes alone were well worth the price of admission. Very funny movie but not as good as Anchorman.

J.T.
08-07-2006, 05:51 PM
I liked it better than Anchorman. The dinner scene when he is saying grace and the kids start talking shit was classic. I was laughing so hard I cried.

I am going to predict right now that everybody will be saying Shake N Bake at colleges across the country this semester.

Guru of Nothing
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM

You are not missing much.

I saw it (it was an office bennie).

The movie played more to perception than reality.

.... BUT, John C. Reilly was fantastic. He is one of the finest actors in Hollywood. He can play any role, except for the good-looking, handsome guy, better than nearly anyone else.

johngateswhiteley
08-08-2006, 05:16 AM
..saw it yesterday. i thought it was funny, but i did not think it was as funny as....i guess a lot of other people. imo, wedding crashers is far funnier.

NASCARdad
08-08-2006, 07:34 AM
It is clearly the best movie of the year. All Rednecks will love it!

Solid D
08-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Did someone say NASCAR?

Can a grown man say "EWWWWWW!" ?

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
nacho libre > ricky bobby

J.T.
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey!

FromWayDowntown
08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
.... BUT, John C. Reilly was fantastic. He is one of the finest actors in Hollywood. He can play any role, except for the good-looking, handsome guy, better than nearly anyone else.

John C. Reilly needs a role like Phillip Seymour Hoffman got with Truman Capote. He's already proved he could carry an award-worthy supporting role in Chicago.

He's great in Ricky Bobby.

CharlieMac
08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Those 2 kids were great, but the movie was suprisingly average.

J.T.
08-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm 10 years old but I'll beat your ass.

KEDA
08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Im hopped up on MOUNTAIN DEW

Ill come at you like a spider monkey!

Buddy Holly
08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey, I'm watching TV but how do you turn on the stereo?

Why do you want the stereo on if you're watching TV?

Because I like to party.

RickyBobby
08-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Damn, I didn't realize how many of you memorize lines from the movie.

Thanks for your support!!

CharlieMac
08-14-2006, 08:58 AM
These colors don't run....

Vizzini
08-14-2006, 09:22 AM
'When you spent that semester in Community College, I did a spread for Playgirl magazine. And when I mean spread, I mean that I spread my butcheeks, but you didn't find out about it because I did it under the name of Mike Honcho. I just wanted you to know that I spread my butcheeks as Mike Honcho."

DirkAB
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM

John C. Reilly needs a role like Phillip Seymour Hoffman got with Truman Capote. He's already proved he could carry an award-worthy supporting role in Chicago.

He's great in Ricky Bobby.

He was great in Boogie Nights, to me that has to be his best role and performance. He was very good in The Good Girl and in Magnolia. He's a great actor, very underrated

CuckingFunt
08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
He was great in Boogie Nights, to me that has to be his best role and performance. He was very good in The Good Girl and in Magnolia. He's a great actor, very underrated
Critical darling, so I don't know that I'd say underrated. Underutilized, maybe.

Haven't seen this one, yet, but it was John C. Reilly that got me interested more than Will Ferrell.

DirkAB
08-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Critical darling, so I don't know that I'd say underrated. Underutilized, maybe.

Haven't seen this one, yet, but it was John C. Reilly that got me interested more than Will Ferrell.

I don't think many people even know who John C. Reilly is, so I guess it all depends on your definition of underrated.

leemajors
08-14-2006, 11:00 AM
magnolia sucked.

DirkAB
08-14-2006, 11:55 AM
magnolia sucked.

Kind of, but there were a number of really good performances in that movie.

J.T.
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
I like the Christmas Jesus the best, and I'm saying grace. When you say grace you can say it to grownup Jesus or teenage Jesus or bearded Jesus or whoever you want.

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt, cuz it says like, "I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party too" cuz I like to party so I like my Jesus to party.

I like to picture Jesus as a ninja, fightin' off evil samurai.

I like to think of Jesus, like, with giant eagle's wings and singing lead vocals for Lynryd Skynyrd, with like an angel band, and I'm in the front row and I'm HAMMERED drunk.

Jimcs50
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM

He was great as Happy Jack in Gangs of New York.

leemajors
08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Kind of, but there were a number of really good performances in that movie.

i turned it off after the first half hour or so, i couldn't take cruise giving cock lectures.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Great movie.

leemajors
01-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Stop Tasting Me