PDA

View Full Version : W. Virginia Elector Might Leave Bush

Bandit2981
10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=7&u=/ap/20041021/ap_on_el_pr/disgruntled_elector)

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - If President Bush (news - web sites) wins West Virginia, one of the state's five Republican electors says he might not vote for Bush to protest the president's economic and foreign policies.

South Charleston Mayor Richie Robb said based on his research, an elector has "qualified discretion" when it comes to casting a vote.

"There is an implied duty to vote for your party's candidate. But I don't think it's an explicit duty or responsibility," said Robb, a moderate Republican who has a reputation of being a maverick in the state party.

Still, Robb calls it "highly unlikely" that he would cast a vote for Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites). He said he might cast his vote for Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) or another Republican instead as a protest against Bush, meaning the president would lose out on one electoral vote.

Robb's decision could end up having enormous national significance because the presidential election is expected to go down to the wire. That is exactly what happened in 2000, when George W. Bush won the White House with 271 electoral votes. To win the presidency, a candidate must receive 270 electoral votes.

"There are people talking about a tied race," said Larry Sabato, a political scientist with the University of Virginia. "This one man could change the election result, could negate the vote of 115 million Americans."

Robb's dissatisfaction with Bush stems from the president's decision to invade Iraq (news - web sites) and economic policies he says have caused the loss of nearly 1,000 high-paying chemical and manufacturing jobs in his town of about 13,000 residents. Robb has been mayor of the Charleston suburb since 1975.

A veteran who won a Bronze Star in the Vietnam War, Robb said he also is upset with campaign ads that attacked Kerry's war record.

State GOP Chairman Kris Warner said he is not worried about how Robb will vote if West Virginia again goes for the president. Bush won the 2-to-1 Democrat state in 2000 by 6 percentage points, making him the first Republican presidential candidate who was not an incumbent to take the state in more than 70 years.

"I maintain Mayor Robb will carry out the will of the West Virginia people when it becomes clear and decisive President Bush has carried the state," Warner said. Recent polls show the race is too close too call.

Robb said he objects to criticism from some who say he is a "faithless" elector. He said he views himself as a "principled elector" because he is discussing his qualms about Bush before the election.

"There have been a few people who have been downright hateful. I think that is just the nature of this election, which has been hateful," Robb said. "I won't be intimidated by the mean-spirited attacks."

Only 10 electors in history have gone against the popular vote, including one from West Virginia.

Margarette Leach of Huntington declined to vote for Michael Dukakis in 1988 even though Dukakis carried West Virginia. Leach cast her presidential vote for Dukakis' running mate, Lloyd Bentsen.

FromWayDowntown
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
This, along with the developing situation in Colorado, are certainly some pretty persuasive evidence that there are some pretty strong efforts afoot to modify the operation of the electoral college.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
This is bullshit. The job of the elector is to represent the vote of the people, not make political statements.

Useruser666
10-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Mayor Richie Robb

Yeah, there's a name I trust!

Hook Dem
10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
This is bullshit. The job of the elector is to represent the vote of the people, not make political statements.
It's called "political suicide".

Clandestino
10-21-2004, 05:43 PM
the electoral college is outdated... it was put into place before the average person could even read..

whottt
10-21-2004, 06:46 PM
What really sucks is that you can't even bash that idiot for being a democrat.

scott
10-21-2004, 06:47 PM
LOL whottt...

It's time to abandon the Electoral System.

whottt
10-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I don't think it is outdated, I think it still serves the purpose of giving the smaller states a meaningful say in who becomes the President. It also makes the candidates have to listen to the views of, and make according promises to, the more rural voters and states.

The concept isn't outdated and I don't think it ever will be, but I will agree that electoral system might be in need of an overhaul.

Hook Dem
10-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Otherwise the New Yorks and Los Angeles's could just dictate who would win.