PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones claimed on Waivers!

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-04-2006, 03:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2539544

With Andruw Jones only days away from gaining trade veto power, the All-Star center fielder was claimed on waivers by an unnamed team, leaving the Braves until 1 p.m. ET Saturday to decide whether to take their last opportunity to deal Jones unfettered.

Andruw Jones
Center Field
Atlanta Braves

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
104 25 93 63 .351 .271

That Jones was placed on waivers is unremarkable; he was one of hundreds of players, including many stars, who were placed on waivers earlier this week. What makes Jones' situation interesting is that on Aug. 15, he will gain 10-and-5 rights -- 10 years in the big leagues, five with the same team -- to block any proposed trade.

Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Jones' value in the trade market is relatively high right now, because he is a highly productive player locked up for only one more year -- at $13.5 million -- at a time when players like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee might command $70 million packages on the free-agent market.

The Boston Red Sox tried to deal for Jones leading up to the trade deadline, with some intent to try to flip him to the Houston Astros for Roy Oswalt. Some scouts also think that the Los Angeles Angels, who've been looking for a bat, might have high interest in Jones.

Atlanta GM John Schuerholz, reached on his cell phone, said Friday afternoon that he would not comment on the team's internal business.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Burn531
08-04-2006, 08:36 PM
So what does that mean? Which team claimed him?

Slinkyman
08-04-2006, 09:00 PM
So what does that mean? Which team claimed him?

I think the way waivers works is that the team with the worst record gets the player, probably won't know anything until tomorrow

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please...

Don't trade him, ATL.

Melmart1
08-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning-News has a blog that says that there were two Braves scouts at the Rangers-Angels game tonight. Interesting. Very interesting.

T Park
08-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Dibs go to NL teams first.

More than likely the Cardinals or the Astros claimed him before the AL teams.

The Cardinals tried to swing a deal for him and Renteria till the Braves played better, now who knows.....

Melmart1
08-05-2006, 12:02 AM
See, I have read conflicting reports about that... one says that NL teams get first pick, the other says they did away with that a few years back. I honestly don't know which is which.

Spurminator
08-05-2006, 12:16 AM
If the Astros are really dangling Oswalt out there, I hope to God they have some kind of under-the-table agreement to resign him next year...

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-05-2006, 03:35 AM
I also heard earlier today that the NL gets first crack at him.

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Nobody has any idea as to whom claimed him off of waivers, but details are supposed to come tomorrow.

johngateswhiteley
08-05-2006, 06:01 AM
If the Astros are really dangling Oswalt out there, I hope to God they have some kind of under-the-table agreement to resign him next year...

no kidding. Oswalt iw worth more than jones, imo. as are all great pitchers.

Beer is Good
08-05-2006, 12:58 PM
no kidding. Oswalt iw worth more than jones, imo. as are all great pitchers.
I can't believe they would put Oswalt out there. I know they need bats, but Oswalt is too valuable to part with for that team.

johngateswhiteley
08-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I can't believe they would put Oswalt out there. I know they need bats, but Oswalt is too valuable to part with for that team.

exactly. really disappointing all this talk...

FromWayDowntown
08-05-2006, 06:09 PM
There's some thought that the Oswalt rumors from before the break emanated entirely from the Orioles and that the Astros were only asked if Oswalt was available -- very different than ever offering him up in a deal.

Nevertheless, the Astros are out of their minds if they think they can improve their ballclub by dealing either Oswalt or Berkman. Short of getting back a Pujols-like dominator, the Astros cannot get equal value for either of those players.

Barry Bonds
08-05-2006, 06:24 PM
ill make suer Pujols does not come to the Giants. he'll take away my spotlight! :madrun

shayne mccrackhead
11-11-2006, 12:02 AM
your mom is gay,gay,all the day she is gay with her head in my hay. Louisville Sucks go Texas Tech! We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine, We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine,We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine, We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine,We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine, We all live in a yellow sumbarrine, a yellow sumbarine a yellow sumbarine