PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if you are a liberal

BIG IRISH
08-04-2006, 11:53 PM
How to tell if your a Liberal:

You would rather see a cowboy smoke the baloney poney rather then a Marlboro.

If you think the New York Times is fair and balanced, but Fox News is ultra right-wing…

You think Al Gore won the election in 2000.

If you think the Free Market is where they hand out Government cheese.

If you would accept a car ride from Ted Kennedy.

You look at Yassir Arafat as a "man of peace".

If you think alcoholics are disabled and deserve Social Security (or should be elected to be the senior senator from Massachussettes)

If your five year old tells YOU what to do.

You cannot name one single NASCAR driver.

You are worried what the French think of America.

You think that consenting adults can engage freely in every activity except capitalism.

If you think Sean Hannnity and Ann Coulter are mean spirited racists and promote hate crimes, but Maxine Waters, John Conyers and Louis Farakahn aren't and don't.

If you think that the only acceptable hate crime is Christian bashing.

You think we never gave peace a chance.

Sean Penn makes sense to you. Awec Bawdwin makes even more sense.

You want to outlaw cigarettes and legalize marijuana.

If you use the words "xtians", neo-con's" or "wing-nuts" at least four times in any given day.

You say Have a Great Winter Solstice, Happy Kwankza, Merry Ramadan and think saying Merry Christmas is just wrong.

You think that the words "to promote the general welfare" in the Constitution mean to promote welfare generally.

You believe that even though the top 20 percent of taxpayers pay 80 percent of income taxes, that the rich are not paying their "fair share."

You think that Rush Limbaugh's listeners are mindless "dittoheads," but you have never doubted anything that you heard from Michael Moore….

You believe that rich people should not be allowed to contribute so much money to candidates for office (except for George Soros)….

You have no problem with Hollywood movie starts flying around in private jets to give speeches on the evils of SUVs….

If you believe Islamic Terrorists are Freedom Fighters and the Israeli Army are Terrorists….

You believe its ok to punch a Police officer
You think the really alarming violence takes place outside the abortion clinic.

You would save a deer but kill a baby.

If you make snide remarks to guys for looking at women but champion Clinton's right to do whatever he wants with his interns.

You called Vietnam Veterans "baby killers" but think that allowing a woman to suck her baby into a sink is a constitutionally protected right.

You believe the National Rifle Association helps criminals while the American Civil Liberties Union protects the innocent. :blah

Oh, Gee!!
08-05-2006, 11:53 PM
:tu

Nbadan
08-06-2006, 03:03 AM
You think Al Gore won the election in 2000

Al Gore did win in 2000 by half a million votes, and he won Florida.

boutons_
08-06-2006, 03:21 AM
And every voting anomaly reported in the 2004 election favored the Repugs, esp in OH and FL.

When the red-state right-wingers can't defend their own Repug/WH record because it's totally, disastrously, murderously indefensible, they pull out the Karl-Rove card, go negative, and attack/demonize the opposition.

Nbadan
08-06-2006, 03:27 AM
And every voting anomaly reported in the 2004 election favored the Repugs, esp in OH and FL.

Not to mention the wide-spread voter suppression in 2000 in Florida and in Ohio in 2004. Both Blackmon and Katherine Harris, secretary of state overlooking the election suppression in both states, have been extremely-well monetarily supported by the GOP in their campaigns for Governor of Florida and Ohio. Anyone without their heads stuck in sand knows what is going on there.

Mr. Peabody
08-06-2006, 10:07 AM

You think we never gave peace a chance.

You want to outlaw cigarettes and legalize marijuana.

You believe its ok to punch a Police officer

You believe the National Rifle Association helps criminals while the American Civil Liberties Union protects the innocent. :blah

:tu :tu :tu

hendrix
08-06-2006, 10:25 AM
How to tell if your a Liberal:

Legal abortion does not kill a "baby". And it actually saves the mother from clandestine procedures they are gonna perform anyways.

George W Bush
08-06-2006, 11:07 AM
All this talk makes me want to start another war.

Is there another country full of oil that I can bomb?

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2006, 11:10 AM
yes and we all agree that the iraq war was completely unecessary..

and our con bretheren believe 5 deferrment dick is war time vice president..

my all time favorite con hypocrisy..Tony Blair is a lib..and he bailed the unecessary war time president out.. a lib had to bail out a conservative..now that's funny.. :lol

RandomGuy
08-08-2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.oldamericancentury.org/liberals.jpg

smeagol
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
If you think the New York Times is fair and balanced, but Fox News is ultra right-wing…

Both are unfair and unbalanced

Who the fuck cares. Move on already.

You look at Yassir Arafat as a "man of peace".

If you think Arafat was a man of peace you are not a liberal, you are an idiot.

NASCAR sucks!

You are worried what the French think of America.

Fair enough. But what are you if you blame Landis’ doping on the French. Let me help you, a fucking moron.

If you think Sean Hannnity and Ann Coulter are mean spirited racists and promote hate crimes, but Maxine Waters, John Conyers and Louis Farakahn aren't and don't.

Pretty stupid people all of them, if you ask me.

Sean Penn makes sense to you. Awec Bawdwin makes even more sense.

Since when are celebrities supposed to be people we look up to.

You want too utlaw cigarettes and legalize marijuana.

Huh? Are people this stupid?

You say Have a Great Winter Solstice, Happy Kwankza, Merry Ramadan and think saying Merry Christmas is just wrong.

Arrghhhhh!

You believe that even though the top 20 percent of taxpayers pay 80 percent of income taxes, that the rich are not paying their "fair share."

If you own $30 billion you probably don’t pay enough taxes

You think that Rush Limbaugh's listeners are mindless "dittoheads," but you have never doubted anything that you heard from Michael Moore….

I don’t think highly of people who like RL or Moore.

You have no problem with Hollywood movie starts flying around in private jets to give speeches on the evils of SUVs….

So true.

If you believe Islamic Terrorists are Freedom Fighters and the Israeli Army are Terrorists….

No comment

Sad but true.

If you make snide remarks to guys for looking at women but champion Clinton's right to do whatever he wants with his interns.

It kills me how liberals defend Clinton

You believe the National Rifle Association helps criminals while the American Civil Liberties Union protects the innocent.

NRA is such a fucking stupid organization.

boutons_
08-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Speaking of the NRA, they're right in there with the $Ms helping increase the use of guns to kill people who don't have guns. America is fucking nuts with guns and violence, whether it be racist bubba's blasting the country-side or hip-hop gangstas blasthing the urban landscape. USA, World Champions Murderers.

================

August 7, 2006

15 States Expand Right to Shoot in Self-Defense

By ADAM LIPTAK

In the last year, 15 states have enacted laws that expand the right of self-defense, allowing crime victims to use deadly force in situations that might formerly have subjected them to prosecution for murder.

Supporters call them “stand your ground” laws. Opponents call them “shoot first” laws.

Thanks to this sort of law, a prostitute in Port Richey, Fla., who killed her 72-year-old client with his own gun rather than flee was not charged last month. Similarly, the police in Clearwater, Fla., did not arrest a man who shot a neighbor in early June after a shouting match over putting out garbage, though the authorities say they are still reviewing the evidence.

The first of the new laws took effect in Florida in October, and cases under it are now reaching prosecutors and juries there. The other laws, mostly in Southern and Midwestern states, were enacted this year, according to the National Rifle Association, which has enthusiastically promoted them.

Florida does not keep comprehensive records on the impact of its new law, but prosecutors and defense lawyers there agree that fewer people who claim self-defense are being charged or convicted.

The Florida law, which served as a model for the others, gives people the right to use deadly force against intruders entering their homes. They no longer need to prove that they feared for their safety, only that the person they killed had intruded unlawfully and forcefully. The law also extends this principle to vehicles.

In addition, the law does away with an earlier requirement that a person attacked in a public place must retreat if possible. Now, that same person, in the law’s words, “has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force.” The law also forbids the arrest, detention or prosecution of the people covered by the law, and it prohibits civil suits against them.

( blast away, motherfuckers!! )

The central innovation in the Florida law, said Anthony J. Sebok, a professor at Brooklyn Law School, is not its elimination of the duty to retreat, which has been eroding nationally through judicial decisions, but in expanding the right to shoot intruders who pose no threat to the occupant’s safety.

“In effect,” Professor Sebok said, “the law allows citizens to kill other citizens in defense of property.”

This month, a jury in West Palm Beach, Fla., will hear the retrial of a murder case that illustrates the dividing line between the old law and the new one. In November 2004, before the new law was enacted, a cabdriver in West Palm Beach killed a drunken passenger in an altercation after dropping him off.

The first jury deadlocked 9-to-3 in favor of convicting the driver, Robert Lee Smiley Jr., said Henry Munnilal, the jury foreman.

“Mr. Smiley had a lot of chances to retreat and to avoid an escalation,” said Mr. Munnilal, a 62-year-old accountant. “He could have just gotten in his cab and left. The thing could have been avoided, and a man’s life would have been saved.”

Mr. Smiley tried to invoke the new law, which does away with the duty to retreat and would almost certainly have meant his acquittal, but an appeals court refused to apply it retroactively. He has appealed that issue to the Florida Supreme Court.

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the N.R.A., said the Florida law had sent a needed message to law-abiding citizens.

( message: blast away, motherfuckers!! )

“If they make a decision to save their lives in the split second they are being attacked, the law is on their side,” Mr. LaPierre said. “Good people make good decisions. That’s why they’re good people. If you’re going to empower someone, empower the crime victim.”

( these very same good people never drink and never have hot passions or anger. They're just better than the rest of us. )
The N.R.A. said it would lobby for versions of the law in eight more states in 2007.

Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said her group would fight those efforts. “In a way,” Ms. Brady said of the new laws, “it’s a license to kill.”

Many prosecutors oppose the laws, saying they are unnecessary at best and pernicious at worst. “They’re basically giving citizens more rights to use deadly force than we give police officers, and with less review,” said Paul A. Logli, president of the National District Attorneys Association.

But some legal experts doubt the laws will make a practical difference. “It’s inconceivable to me that one in a hundred Floridians could tell you how the law has changed,” said Gary Kleck, who teaches criminology at Florida State University.

Even before the new laws, Professor Kleck added, claims of self-defense were often accepted. “In the South,” he said, “they more or less give the benefit of the doubt to the alleged victim’s account.”

The case involving the Port Richey prostitute, Jacqueline Galas, turned on the new law, said Michael Halkitis, division director of the state attorney’s office in nearby New Port Richey. Ms. Galas, 23, said that a longtime client, Frank Labiento, 72, threatened to kill her and then kill himself last month. A suicide note he had left and other evidence supported her contention.

The law came into play when Ms. Galas grabbed Mr. Labiento’s gun and chose not to flee but to kill him. “Before that law,” Mr. Halkitis said, “before you could use deadly force, you had to retreat. Under the new law, you don’t have to do that.”

The decision not to charge Ms. Galas was straightforward, Mr. Halkitis said. “It would have been a more difficult situation with the old law,” he said, “much more difficult.”

In the case of the West Palm Beach cabdriver, Mr. Smiley, then 56, killed Jimmie Morningstar, 43. A sports bar had paid Mr. Smiley $10 to drive Mr. Morningstar home in the early morning of Nov. 6, 2004.

Mr. Morningstar was apparently reluctant to leave the cab once it reached its destination, and Mr. Smiley used a stun gun to hasten his exit. Once outside the cab, Mr. Morningstar flashed a knife, Mr. Smiley testified at his first trial, though one was never found. Mr. Smiley, who had gotten out of his cab, reacted by shooting at his passenger’s feet and then into his body, killing him.

Cliff Morningstar, the dead man’s uncle, said he was baffled by the killing. “He had a radio,” Mr. Morningstar said of Mr. Smiley. “He could have gotten in his car and left. He could have shot him in his knee.”

Carey Haughwout, the public defender who represents Mr. Smiley, conceded that no knife was found. “However,” Ms. Haughwout said, “there is evidence to support that the victim came at Smiley after Smiley fired two warning shots, and that he did have something in his hand.”

In April, a Florida appeals court indicated that the new law, had it applied to Mr. Smiley’s case, would have affected its outcome.

“Prior to the legislative enactment, a person was required to ‘retreat to the wall’ before using his or her right of self-defense by exercising deadly force,” Judge Martha C. Warner wrote. The new law, Judge Warner said, abolished that duty.

Jason M. Rosenbloom, the man shot by his neighbor in Clearwater, said his case illustrated the flaws in the Florida law. “Had it been a year and a half ago, he could have been arrested for attempted murder,” Mr. Rosenbloom said of his neighbor, Kenneth Allen.

“I was in T-shirt and shorts,” Mr. Rosenbloom said, recalling the day he knocked on Mr. Allen’s door. Mr. Allen, a retired Virginia police officer, had lodged a complaint with the local authorities, taking Mr. Rosenbloom to task for putting out eight bags of garbage, though local ordinances allow only six.

“I was no threat,” Mr. Rosenbloom said. “I had no weapon.”

The men exchanged heated words. “He closed the door and then opened the door,” Mr. Rosenbloom said of Mr. Allen. “He had a gun. I turned around to put my hands up. He didn’t even say a word, and he fired once into my stomach. I bent over, and he shot me in the chest.”

Mr. Allen, whose phone number is out of service and who could not be reached for comment, told The St. Petersburg Times that Mr. Rosenbloom had had his foot in the door and had tried to rush into the house, an assertion Mr. Rosenbloom denied.

“I have a right,” Mr. Allen said, “to keep my house safe.”

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

=====================

America, that shining light on the hill of world civlizations. :lol

08-08-2006, 08:14 PM
So Boutons, owning a firearm is a bad thig?

boutons_
08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I turn that around:

For all the guns owned by dickless gun nuts, how many criminals do those guns kill vs how many family members and friends they kill in accidents and crimes of passion?

How many of you TX gun nuts pack heat when you go to chow down at Red Lobster?

08-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, Boutons, why don't you present some statistics on the amount murders committed by gunfire against known family members versus an unknown assailant murdering someone by gunfire before you pose a question?

boutons_
08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I've looked for the stats and can't find them. The NRA may have something to do about that.

08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
I've looked for the stats and can't find them. The NRA may have something to do about that.

Hey, shit happens.

And you never addressed my original question, is private ownership of firearms a bad thing?

Jamtas#2
08-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I wonder what the stats are for gun violence in the southern and midwestern "red" states compared to the western and eastern "blue" states. I'm trying to find an unbiased account (if possible), and I'll post if I do.

Spurminator
08-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to find an unbiased account

Good luck...

Jamtas#2
08-08-2006, 10:04 PM
side question- Do issues actually get discussed and debated in here, or does everything turn into a liberal vs conservative mudslinging fest?
I really feel that both parties have done a good job on having everyone focus on the 2 party fighting rather than how to improve our country. As long as everyone keeps involved in the fighting that goes along with aligning one's self to a party, our country is going to keep crawling towards improvements rather than sprint.

whottt
08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
side question- Do issues actually get discussed and debated in here, or does everything turn into a liberal vs conservative mudslinging fest?
I really feel that both parties have done a good job on having everyone focus on the 2 party fighting rather than how to improve our country. As long as everyone keeps involved in the fighting that goes along with aligning one's self to a party, our country is going to keep crawling towards improvements rather than sprint.

You're too good for us.

We just sit her floundering away waiting for some one to come and show us how it's done...

So show us.....You're obviously better than we are.

whottt
08-08-2006, 10:23 PM