PDA

View Full Version : Landis Fails again

Nbadan
08-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Tour de France champion Floyd Landis' backup urine sample confirmed high levels of testosterone, cycling's governing body said Saturday, raising the prospect that he could lose his title.

Following the results of the "B" sample, Landis was fired by his Swiss team, Phonak. He also faces a two-year ban from USA Cycling, which is responsible for sanctions against the American rider.

"The analysis of the sample B of Floyd Landis's urine has confirmed the result of an adverse analytical finding notified by the anti-doping laboratory of Paris on 26th July, following the analysis of the sample A," the International Cycling Union said, referring to the Chatenay-Malabry lab outside Paris.

"Landis will be dismissed without notice for violating the team's internal Code of Ethics," Phonak said in a statement. "Landis will continue to have legal options to contest the findings. However, this will be his personal affair, and the Phonak team will no longer be involved in that."

The confirmed positive test sets off what now could be months of appeals and arguments by Landis. He repeatedly has professed his innocence and vowed to fight the allegations - and did so again Saturday.

Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/ap/2006/08/05/ap2929339.html)

samikeyp
08-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Dumbass.

exstatic
08-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm sick of these sanctimonious cheaters. You were CAUGHT. Don't make it worse by this intensive lying campaign. Just fade away into the obscurity you came from.

IceColdBrewski
08-05-2006, 11:16 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46587

Still hard to ignore the fact that this is the same French lab that was busted for trying to shaft Lance Armstrong.

Lets face it, the Frenchies hate Americans. Mostly because of our foreign policy. And they can't stand the fact that Americans have owned their bike race for the last 8 (?) years.

Turn it over to a lab other than the one that has a corrupt history, and then I'll start to listen.

They did their best to smear Lance's name. Anyone who isn't suspect of this french doping lab has the blinders on.

T Park
08-05-2006, 11:27 PM
ICB is spot on...

Clandestino
08-05-2006, 11:33 PM
what i hate is how nbacocksucker always gloats when an american goes down...

orhe
08-05-2006, 11:47 PM
^^^
well if the landis camp hasn't been spewing out ridiculous excuse after excuse i might be inclined to believe in him but no... he says its because of the beer then dehydration followed by i didn't knowingly take...

btw i guess you guys should read @ cyclingforums.com if you're interested w/ doping in cycling and stuff or just sports cycling

Clandestino
08-05-2006, 11:49 PM
he may have cheated...who knows for real? no one.. however, nbadan gets his pussy wet everytime something bad happens to an american... it is fucking weird and worse...UNAMERICAN!

IceColdBrewski
08-06-2006, 12:08 AM
what i hate is how nbacocksucker always gloats when an american goes down...

It took you this long to notice? ;)

Seriously though. His credibility died a long time ago because of the anti-American garbage that he spews. Most of the posters on this forum can see thru his BS by now.

T-Pain
08-06-2006, 01:41 AM
god damn u landis, why would you risk somethin like this when you know there gonna test you, dumbass. come on now think, the french must think we americans are dumbasses and steroid-ridden athletes with the barry bonds bullshit goin on...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-06-2006, 01:50 AM
If you ain't cheating... you ain't trying!!

atxrocker
08-06-2006, 02:10 AM
I'm sick of these sanctimonious cheaters. You were CAUGHT.

Indeed.

Clandestino
08-06-2006, 08:01 AM
It took you this long to notice? ;)

Seriously though. His credibility died a long time ago because of the anti-American garbage that he spews. Most of the posters on this forum can see thru his BS by now.

known it since day one...however, he usually sticks to the political forum

boutons_
08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
August 6, 2006

Sports of The Times

The Final Stage and the Last Straw

By GEORGE VECSEY

CYCLING has become professional wrestling. This is the only possible conclusion now that Floyd Landis’s positive B sample has dropped like a landslide on the sport, or spectacle, or whatever it is.

All those warm and fuzzy sentiments toward Landis, the quirky rider from Pennsylvania Dutch country, have been obliterated. Cycling people said they had never seen a ride like the one he made up the Alps on July 20 after his collapse the previous day. Now we seem to have the explanation. Floyd was juiced.

Early yesterday, the laboratory in Châtenay-Malabry, France, confirmed the original A sample finding, that Landis had an extraordinary spike of testosterone — an 11-to-1 ratio when four to one is the legal limit — when he made his magnificent surge up the mountain.

Landis’s Phonak team dismissed him as soon as the B sample results were announced, and a Tour official told The Associated Press that Landis was no longer considered the champion.

After an appeals process that could take six months, Landis is likely to become the first Tour winner to have the title taken from him. He will become a pariah in his sport, like Rafael Palmeiro in baseball or Justin Gatlin in track and field, like Tyler Hamilton in cycling.

It’s nice that all these sports are finally upgrading their testing, but it may be too late for credibility in cycling. It’s hard to imagine why reputable companies continue to sponsor cycling for the purpose of publicity.

At first, Landis goofed on all of us by suggesting that his one-day leap in testosterone was the result of a swig of Jack Daniel’s the night before, or maybe it was the solitary beer he imbibed. Now, Landis vows to search the ends of the earth for the cause of all that testosterone, some of it synthetic, in his urine. People must think we’re stupid.

Having fallen in love with the Tour (or maybe it was La Belle France herself) in 1982, when I covered Jonathan Boyer, the first American to ride in the Tour, I take all this cheating personally.

Maybe I could have lived with Landis’s mysterious chemical jag if I had not given my gullible little journalist’s heart to Hamilton, the wiry little Yank, three years ago. You know the old saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I’m in the shame-on-me stage of recrimination.

At the Tour in 2003, I stood chest to chest with Hamilton after he had completed a stage with tape holding his broken collarbone in place. The crowd jostled all around us, making me fear I would bump into Hamilton and cause him even more agony after his hot ride through Champagne country. He actually completed the Tour, and we all wrote reams of copy about his courage.

Then in 2004, Hamilton won the time trial at the Summer Games in Athens, but the lab botched the handling of his positive drug test, which meant he got to keep the gold medal. A month later, at the Vuelta a España, another lab found traces of somebody else’s blood in Hamilton’s system.

Hamilton did not blame Jack Daniel’s but instead advanced the “vanishing twin” theory that the second source of blood was a twin who had vanished early in gestation. Nice try, officials said, suspending Hamilton for two years. Hamilton and Landis are lying to our faces or are in major denial. Either way, I cannot stand it anymore.

It’s not as if cycling did not warn us. The sport’s lore includes a quotation from Jacques Anquetil, who won the Tour five times, and once said, “Only a fool would imagine it was possible to win the Tour de France on mineral water.” Fausto Coppi, who won it twice, was once asked if he had ever used dope. “Only when necessary,” Coppi replied. And when was it necessary? “Almost all the time.”

•Americans began to care about the Tour when Greg LeMond captured it three times, twice with 40 buckshot pellets in his body after a hunting accident. LeMond never evinced a whiff of scandal.

What are we to think of Lance Armstrong, who won seven Tours, pursued by charges by many Europeans, as well as some former teammates and associates, that he had cheated, including leaked invalid tests that suggest he was using EPO in 1999?

I compartmentalize Armstrong for a couple of reasons. That he is a charismatic icon in the war against cancer is not relevant. But he dominated the sport for seven straight years, even while his closest competitors were dying, being busted or unable to stay close to him. The other reason is the quaint concept of innocent until proven otherwise.

Armstrong often called himself the most tested athlete in sports, and he had a point. When cycling upgraded its testing in his later years, Armstrong never failed. Yet nine riders could not start this year’s Tour because of suspicions emanating from a drug scandal in Spain, and two likable Americans — Hamilton and Landis — have now been disgraced.

•The fight against drugs at the high end of competitive sport is more than an abstract battle for purity. Jacques Rogge, the physician who is the president of the International Olympic Committee, said the other day that rules existed “not only to test athletes, but also to educate young people about the health dangers of doping and the devastating effect it can have on a person’s image and career.”

Young people wreck their bodies trying to emulate the cheaters in many sports. Busting Hamilton and Landis does not redeem cycling. Until further notice, this entire business is tainted.

E-mail: [email protected]

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
It doesn't look good for him, but I'd still like to see some lab other than the one that tried to fuck over Lance for seven years running doing the testing.

I don't see why they couldn't get a second lab to do the test on the 'B' sample, but I guess it would be a lot harder to set up riders from other countries besides your native France if you did...

ChumpDumper
08-06-2006, 11:17 PM
The sport’s lore includes a quotation from Jacques Anquetil, who won the Tour five times, and once said, “Only a fool would imagine it was possible to win the Tour de France on mineral water.”I think Jacques was the last guy to win the Tour drunk.

T Park
08-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I don't see why they couldn't get a second lab to do the test on the 'B' sample, but I guess it would be a lot harder to set up riders from other countries besides your native France if you did

You know that wont happen....

But I do see the giddyness in Boutons and NbaDan.

They love to see Americans or America do something wrong.

Its sick.

Nbadan
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Dumbass wingnuts think this is a French conspiracy - Priceless

:lmao

Dre_7
08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
lance cheated too, but somebody paid someone to shut up.

Riiiiiiight

johngateswhiteley
08-07-2006, 02:18 AM
lance cheated too, but somebody paid someone to shut up.

...that is such an idiotic statement on so many levels....i cannot even count that high.

AlamoSpursFan
08-07-2006, 03:19 AM
<Yawn>

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Dumbass wingnuts think this is a French conspiracy - Priceless

:lmao

This coming from a dumbass wingnut who thinks 9/11 was a conspiracy by big oil. :lmao

1Parker1
08-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Saw his interview on GMA this morning...he said "He did not take any drugs, nor has he ever taken drugs in the past"

He was blinking a lot as he said this...:angel

Senator Joseph McCarthy
08-07-2006, 08:32 AM
You know that wont happen....

But I do see the giddyness in Boutons and NbaDan.

They love to see Americans or America do something wrong.

Its sick.

Let me check my subversive list...hmm, how did I miss these two?!? Well they're on there now. America owes a debt of gratitude Citizen TPark. Remember kids, only you can stop communism!

And as far as this cycling business goes, I'm not sure who to trust. You certainly can't trust the French, but how trustworthy is any American who wants to go to France for nearly a month every year?

boutons_
08-07-2006, 09:46 AM
"But I do see the giddyness in Boutons...

They love to see Americans or America do something wrong."

Fuck you, T_pork. Go suck your tits, you sick pig. You're walking, er waddling, example of an "American doing something wrong".

Landis' win was great win, his comback stage was the stuff of instant legend but he was juiced with testosterone, including exogenous. With his hip due to be replaced in a few months, this could have been another great story. That he was American was secondary. Even the French thought his nationality was less important than his cycling.

The point of the article was about drugs in cycling, not about US, the but an ignorant, close-minded chauvinst like yourself missed the central point.

Cycling is a fucking joke, rotten with drugs, like US baseball, football, track, etc.
May the best chemist win. "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." And a Lombardi of today would have had his cattle as juiced up as any NFL coach to get those wins.