PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony

RON ARTEST
08-05-2006, 09:14 PM
i started a thread asking if carmelo anthony is a franchise player at realgm, i dont think he is but what do you guys think? http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=554629&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

mavsfan1000
08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
No he's not. Imo he is not a player to build around anyways. He is poor on defense and passing and inconistent from outside. There are many players I would have over Carmelo.

jman3000
08-05-2006, 09:21 PM
It's hard to argue against a player who averages 26 points a game... but there is just something about his game that leads me to believe that he would be best utilized as a 2nd option behind a dominant big man. i havent seen him enough to say for certain .. but he seems to rely too much on his long range jumper (just below the 3 pnt line) to be considered the go to guy.

RonRon93
08-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I have never liked Carmelo but he is a franchise player. You forget this is only his 4th year in the league.

ALVAREZ6
08-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I have never liked Carmelo but he is a franchise player. You forget this is only his 4th year in the league.
I actually think the opposite.

I view it more as "holy shit, Lebron, Wade, and Melo are already in their 4th year."

I can remember all of the pre-draft hype, the 2003 draft is the most memorable for me. I have trouble believing it was that long ago...2003!

I remember on ESPN, seeing Lebron on his high school team and crap like that.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-05-2006, 10:09 PM
lol 2nd option in..he had the highest % at the end of games when then could tie or win so i highly doubt he is the 2nd option

Mavs_man_41
08-05-2006, 11:13 PM
When he first came into the league, no. If you would have asked me before this summer, i would probably say no. The reason i change my opinion is because entering his 4th year, he seems to have grown up and matured alot. Listen to what coach k for team USA has been saying about him. He said in an interview during the exhibition vs puerto rico that he has really surprised him with his overall game and work ethic and that no one has worked harder than Carmelo Anthony during training camp. Watching that exhibition, he really looked like a leader and played great, he was the leading scorer in a 40 point blow out. I know it was just an exhibition but he showed that he can score points without being selfish and taking away from the team. He was the leading scorer as they rolled to a 40 point victory.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-05-2006, 11:20 PM
lol he doesn't need to lead team usa..he needs to lead the nuggets..

Mavs_man_41
08-05-2006, 11:32 PM
^he may not need to, but coach k refered to Carmelo, Lebron, and Wade as the leaders of the team.

T-Pain
08-06-2006, 12:42 AM
i think carmelo is a franchise player, but has room for improvement

Rip-Hamilton32
08-06-2006, 02:21 AM

doesn't everyone..wait wait don't answer or i'll get duncan doesn't or something along those lines

atxrocker
08-06-2006, 02:24 AM

I completely agree. I dig Carmelo actually a good deal, but understand that there is room for improvement. He is clutch as fuck and has some upside, I like the guy.

mabber
08-06-2006, 10:09 AM
It's hard to argue against a player who averages 26 points a game... but there is just something about his game that leads me to believe that he would be best utilized as a 2nd option behind a dominant big man. i havent seen him enough to say for certain .. but he seems to rely too much on his long range jumper (just below the 3 pnt line) to be considered the go to guy.

I think he's a franchise player now and in today's NBA you can build around him. You have to remember that the days of numerous, dominant big men to build around are behind us. Only a handful of teams have that luxury. Also, he's an extremely clutch player. He not only demands the ball in tight situations but he's been delivering thus far in his career. And, like another poster said, he seems to have turned a corner in regards to maturity. The compliments from coach K that he's been the best player so far on the national team speaks volumes.

JamStone
08-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Absolutely he's a franchise player. You may not like him, but he's a go-to player in crunchtime, he puts up franchise numbers, he makes his team better, and he's marketable. That's what you need from your franchise player. He may not be as good or as marketable as LeBron or Wade or Amare Stoudemire. But, that doesn't mean he's not a franchise player.

He is. And, he's getting better.

I think he's along the lines of a Jamal Mashburn type of player. Not one of the best or most notable franchise players, but one nonetheless.

TDMVPDPOY
08-06-2006, 10:42 AM
his only a better version of glen robinson

Mavs_man_41
08-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Glen Robinson made the all-star team at least once.

mabber
08-06-2006, 06:06 PM

He'll end up with a much better career than big dog IMO.

exstatic
08-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Second banana material. Plenty of guys in NBA history could score. Few of them were franchise players. 'Melo is a weak-ass gangsta wannabee.