PDA

View Full Version : For the guys: Electric Razor or Standard Razor

usckk
08-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Which ones do yall use and why? I'm just now starting to shave, so I'm wonder which one is better.

dougp
08-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I just bought one of the new Quattro Titaniums, and it's pretty nice ... I have extremely sensitive skin though, so I believe that in reality it all comes down to a good shaving cream.

leemajors
08-06-2006, 10:37 AM
i have used both, electric razors tend to pull hairs out a lot. i quit shaving 2 years ago though, it irritates my skin way too much. i use a beard trimmer to touch up. when i did use a razor, i used the 2 blade gillete sensor. these new 4-6 blade razors are kinda terrifying. i got a shave in a barber shop once, dude told me more than 2 blades would make my skin turn red as hell.

scott
08-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Gillete Fusion my man.

I have sensitive skin too... check out Nivea for Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream.

George W Bush
08-06-2006, 11:10 AM
What do I know?
I just clear brush.

usckk
08-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Why do most people use regular razors and not electric? Wouldn't it be easier with an electric one?

dougp
08-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Why do most people use regular razors and not electric? Wouldn't it be easier with an electric one?
Guess that depends at how fast your hair grows ... if I shaved in the morning, I'd have to shave every day ... But electric razors tend to pull hair and not get as close, whereas a regular razor will get you the closest, and "no pain" if you shave properly.

katyon6th
08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
You guys should be asking atlfan25, he knows facial hair.

boutons_
08-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Keeping an electric razor clean, degreased, and sharp is chore vs just putting a new blade on a manual razor.

Philips has an electric razor that sits in a cleaning solution, which I don't think they would have developed if cleaning wasn't headache for enough electric shavers. So you have to buy the razor heads and cleaning solution. To fucking complicated and $$.

I lather up with a non-creamy bath soap (using the soap slivers left over from the shower) with a bristle brush, to avoid the hassle/$$ of keeping stocked up on shaving cream. I lather up but don't shave. I then brush my teeth and do mouthwash, which gives a few minutes for the whiskers to absorb moisture and soften up, softening as well as any $shaving cream is supposed to do.

On particularly "rough" mornings when starting with a show is the only option, I shave in the shower. :)

NorCal510
08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
razors bluh

Leetonidas
08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
When I was 13 and 14 I used razors but for the last year or so I've been going electric.

ALVAREZ6
08-06-2006, 12:23 PM
You're just starting???

I use standard, fuck that electric shit.

Schick Quattro and Schick Quattro Midnight is where it's at. I recommend the Quattro. Great fuckin razor, and I got both of them for free.

The Gillette Infusion or whatever it's called looks sweet, but a free razor is a free razor.

ALVAREZ6
08-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I just bought one of the new Quattro Titaniums, and it's pretty nice ... I have extremely sensitive skin though, so I believe that in reality it all comes down to a good shaving cream.
The Titanium looks sweet.

Why does Schick keep making new versions of the Quattro?

They have the regular Quattro
the Quattro Midnight (which is identical to the regular, only different grip patter and color)

The Quattro Power

The Quattro for women

and now the Titanium

Damn it, I can't keep up.

ALVAREZ6
08-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Faster, yes, but its more painful, from what I hear (I've never used electric).
They tend to pull on your hair.

The regular ones will give you a much smoother shave. Either way, it's not like shaving takes that long. And if you want a good electric razor, they tend to be a lot more expensive.

Just go regular. And since you're just starting, you won't be shaving very often anyway.

ShoogarBear
08-06-2006, 12:34 PM
I was really starting to worry about how much detail we were going to receive about boutons' morning bathroom routine.

I shave face and head every day. Use to use the Gillette M3 Power shaver (triple blades, vibrator) which did a great job but the blades were expensive and often a bitch to find. Now I use a Panasonic electric shaver which can be used either wet or dry. Not as close but gets the job done and no head nicks.

You do realize that starting a thread about shaving is very dangerous here?

katyon6th
08-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I find that scruffyhaven'tshavedin2days look very sexy. It tickles, too, which I enjoy.

dougp
08-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I find that scruffyhaven'tshavedin2days look very sexy. It tickles, too, which I enjoy.
I could tickle you right now then, I'll let you know when I'm coming to SA next ...

Bob Lanier
08-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I use a straight razor.

Of these options, though, I'd take a safety razor without second thought. Electric razors are worthless.

katyon6th
08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I could tickle you right now then, I'll let you know when I'm coming to SA next ...

No, thank you.

dougp
08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
No, thank you.
Shucks, you take all the fun out of it ... anyways, you should still come to lunch ...

ShoogarBear
08-06-2006, 02:27 PM
It makes a guy look like a reject from a boy band.

RonRon93
08-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Electric is only good if you dont have that much facial hair. I havent used a regular razor in over a year now.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-06-2006, 04:52 PM
If I shave every day, then I use a Panasonic Wet/Dry electric razor on my dome.

If not, then it's the M3, which I also use to shave my face.

Jimcs50
08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I use Nair

usckk
08-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Do either better avoid getting bumps? because I see many old men with bumps.

leemajors
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Do either better avoid getting bumps? because I see many old men with bumps having them.

if razor bumps are a problem, there's always magic shave!

usckk
08-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, guys. After reading what yall said, I decided to get the PhiliShave XL8140. I don't grow much hair so I figured an electric shaver will be better--less skin irritation, quicker shave, and less mess.

ALVAREZ6
08-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, guys. After reading what yall said, I decided to get the PhiliShave XL8140. I don't grow much hair so I figured an electric shaver will be better--less skin irritation, quicker shave, and less mess.
:td

TheSanityAnnex
08-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I have to use both an electric and a standard. My hairs are pretty thick and grow fast, so if I want to use the electric, I have to do it every day. I use the standard on my neck cause for some reason the electric doesn't get em. Use the electric every day and your face will get used to it and you won't get as irritated.

MannyIsGod
08-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Mach 3 all the way. Well, when I actually shave.

katyon6th
08-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Manny is looking beastly with the facial hair.

So is LJ.

phyzik
08-06-2006, 10:08 PM
You'll regret the electric in a month or two after you've cleaned it out like every third day or so then when you have to replace the dull blades and see the price.... :depressed

starting out you should always learn to use a bladed standard razor. You will soon learn that that "quicker" shave will start to take just as long as a regular razor because you have to keep going over the same damn spot once the blades grow dull.

leemajors
08-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Man Was Not Meant To Shave.

Kori Ellis
08-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Manny is looking beastly with the facial hair.

So is LJ.

:lol @ beastly

LJ is letting his beard grow along with his hair. He'll be some kind of caveman by the end of the summer.

T Park
08-07-2006, 12:03 AM
:lol

LJ will look like Bruce Wayne in the jails in Asia.

Fusion Power razor.

Best ever made...

Shave once don't have to shave for another 2 or 3 days.

Fillmoe
08-07-2006, 12:38 AM
standard... fusion, that shit is a beast!

johngateswhiteley
08-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Man Was Not Meant To Shave.

precisely. i merely trim my growth. however, when i am forced to shave it is with a blade. but only a single or double at the most since anything more just irritates. i can't understand the obsession of all these 3 and 4 blade razors....will it be enough when we finally have 8 blades on there and it is eating our faces...?

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2006, 01:48 AM
precisely. i merely trim my growth. however, when i am forced to shave it is with a blade. but only a single or double at the most since anything more just irritates. i can't understand the obsession of all these 3 and 4 blade razors....will it be enough when we finally have 8 blades on there and it is eating our faces...?
The 3 blade razor has been standard for quite a while.

Now we have 5 blade razors (fusion)

I use the Quattro though, which obviously has 4, but it doesn't irritate my skin...is that something that comes with age?

johngateswhiteley
08-07-2006, 02:15 AM
The 3 blade razor has been standard for quite a while.

Now we have 5 blade razors (fusion)

I use the Quattro though, which obviously has 4, but it doesn't irritate my skin...is that something that comes with age?

1. yes, the 3 blade has been standard for some time...i know
2. if it does not irritate your skin, good, you're fortunate
3. i am only 26 years old, and the multiple blades have irritated my skin for some time

...many of my friends shave with multiple blades and they have problems sometimes even though they don't complain about them. getting even one bump is unacceptable, imo. and what i don't understand is that, and i have a lot of facial hair coverage, why there is such a need to get so damn close of a shave. if someone is shaving properly you don't need a million blades to get a close shave. also, look at the commercials of these razors where they show the blades lifting the hair and then being cut again and again...makes me want to throw up. its completely unecessary. i'll ask again, when does the 8 blade razor come out?

oh yeah, read this:
http://bw.watchtan.com/article/177/just-one

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2006, 02:32 AM
I actually used to use a 2 blade razor before the Quattro, only because they are a lot cheaper. I only have 2 Quattros because they came free in the mail. I could get a pretty damn smooth shave with the 2 blader, but what I like about the Quattro is the head pivots, which helps reduce the risk of getting cut, especially if you're in a hurry. What I also like is that it has a few extremely skinny metal strips across the blades perpendicular to the actual blades. They prevent the razor from sliding sideways, rather than the way it's supposed to move.

I used to get cut sometimes with the 2 blade razor when the blades were real slippery and it slides the way it's not supposed to slide. Not with the Quattro though.

MannyIsGod
08-07-2006, 02:46 AM
I was trying to harness the same hitting ability LJ was with the beard growth. It didn't work, so I am shaving it now.

Truth be told, it started getting on my nerves last night and I just haven't had a chance to shave yet. It gets on my nerves when it grows to a point and it kinda itches, then it went away, but it is getting on my nerves again. It just feels like I have something on my face all the time now. :lol

The hair on my face is longer than the hair on my head.

CharlieMac
08-07-2006, 06:58 AM
I was trying to harness the same hitting ability LJ was with the beard growth. It didn't work, so I am shaving it now.

Truth be told, it started getting on my nerves last night and I just haven't had a chance to shave yet. It gets on my nerves when it grows to a point and it kinda itches, then it went away, but it is getting on my nerves again. It just feels like I have something on my face all the time now. :lol

I just canned the beard a week ago. It was the first time I ever let it get that long and I brought it to everyone's attention. I must have said, "Check out my sweet beard!" once a day for a month straight. I'm sure it wasn't annoying at all.

But oh man, shaving that shit off for the first time is the best feeling in the world.

polandprzem
08-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Mach 3 all the way. Well, when I actually shave.

:tu x 3

leemajors
08-07-2006, 08:03 AM

i've kept the hair on my face longer than the hair on my head for the last 2 and a half years.

davi78239
08-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Electric without a doubt.

SpursWoman
08-07-2006, 08:34 AM
It makes a guy look like a reject from a boy band.

I guess I'm going to have to change the way I think about boy bands then ... cuz I love it when Chris lets it go for a few days. It's haaawwwwt.

*grrrrrrrrrrr*

Then he'll shave it off when it gets right where I like it. :depressed :lol

SpursWoman
08-07-2006, 08:39 AM
:lol @ beastly

LJ is letting his beard grow along with his hair. He'll be some kind of caveman by the end of the summer.

I see it and I just can't imagine how hot that has to be. :wow :lol

DJREN37
08-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Vibrating Fusion with Zirh shaving cream for my skull and face, leaves em super smooth. Barbor aftershave gets any of the razorburn gone. The Fusion blades are real pricey$23 for 8 blades, but just visit the Mission fleamarket on the weekend and you can find em there for $6 for 8 blades which is a steal. 5 blades and the vibration leeds to less shaving strokes and for me it cuts down on razor burn big time. If you dont believe me that 5 is better, go shave with a bic 1 blade shaver, ouch!

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2006, 12:29 PM
The Fusion blades are real pricey$23 for 8 blades, but just visit the Mission fleamarket on the weekend and you can find em there for $6 for 8 blades which is a steal.
That's the downside of the fucking Quattro.

Expensive blades, not as pricey as the Fusion, but still expensive.

DJREN37
08-07-2006, 01:24 PM
For the Quattro the new titanium blades are 5 for $4 there at Mission FM.

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2006, 01:28 PM
So now the blades are all of a sudden made of titanium, and they are a lot cheaper...

:wtf

DJREN37
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I said the line made for the Quattro Titanium, i never said they are made of titanium. Yes they are cheaper at the flea market.

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I said the line made for the Quattro Titanium, i never said they are made of titanium. Yes they are cheaper at the flea market.
I missed the flea market part, my bad. I don't know WTF Mission FM is.

On the commercial for the new titanium, that's what the weird scientist guy says. He says the blades are made of tie-tane-y-oom.

DJREN37
08-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Mission flea market (FM) it is on Moursound rd. and south 410 on the south side. Great deals on tons of stuff. All items brand new in the original boxes, just watch some of the munchies are outdated, i got burned bought large bags of sunflower seeds for .25 each and all but one were fresh enough to eat. My wife gets CHI hair prodocts 1/3 the price of what they cost at Sephora. Med's i pass on and they have tons of tools for sale to.

Jules
08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Forget shaving... beards are hot.

Bob Lanier
08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
... and itchy, and sweaty in the summer.

It's not worth it. Beard fetishists may exist, but from my experience they're a small minority.

leemajors
08-07-2006, 05:24 PM
... and itchy, and sweaty in the summer.

It's not worth it. Beard fetishists may exist, but from my experience they're a small minority.

my beard has not itched a bit this summer, and it's been pretty toasty here lately in austin - ~100 most days the last month or so. itchiness is more a initial growout thing. only thing that kinda bothers me at all is it curls back up around my sideburns and tickles my ears sometimes.

phyzik
08-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Anyone remember the SNL Mach 25 razor skit? lol.

tlongII
08-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I like standard razors.

ShoogarBear
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I would have thought you would be more into using shears.