PDA

View Full Version : WTF: USA already played with China and nobody tells the result.-

gus
08-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Usa 119- China 73

usckk
08-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Box Score?

orhe
08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
the score is really bloated USA has ways to go to improve their defense... :) im not raining on the parade but china played the US well... yao was out with an injury so was wang zhi zhi

2 things that factored in greatly w/ the score are
-offensive rebounding (they were manhandling the chinese)
-fastbreak (for some reason the chinese guys weren't coming back for defense fast enough USA often had a players way in front

i was really impressed w/ Carmelo, Jamison and Bosh they were the ones having great success @ the half court offense. i don't think bowen scored?

defensively that number 7 guy of China was breaking the D like crazy... they had good post denial (chinese #11 is really talented... moves really well... got to build up his body)

good game for the USA but they can improve a LOT more (which is scary)

Pistons < Spurs
08-07-2006, 10:02 AM
I beleive this game will be aired on ESPN2 tonight at 9:30

angel_luv
08-07-2006, 10:04 AM
That is what I thought too.

Hey who wants to bet I can predict the score? :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I think that's a scrimmage. Isaw that score thing on NBATV too.

GrandeDavid
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Damnit, Bruce is probably gonna get f*cking cut. That's just my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong. Greetings from LA, everyone!

Pistons < Spurs
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Damnit, Bruce is probably gonna get f*cking cut.

Yeah, he probably will.

Taco
08-07-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/bosh_600_060807.jpg

BRUCE IN THE BACKGROUND PLAYING "D"

Budkin
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Damnit, Bruce is probably gonna get f*cking cut. That's just my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong. Greetings from LA, everyone!

Why do you think that? I've read several articles talking about how he is a major key to the team.

Spurologist
08-07-2006, 10:51 AM

Wait and actually see the game to know how Bruce played. Even if he had the same impact as the Puerto Rico game, I still think he has a guaranteed roster spot. The college guy was supposedly high on him because of his leadership ability and his defensive ability on star players. The following two players will most likely be the ones cut.

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/809/jamison400060803me2.jpg http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/360/millermillerdg8.jpg

Jameson has played well though. I want to see a Bruce-Manu matchup dammit. Coach Shechevski don't fuck this up for me. :lol

orhe
08-07-2006, 10:56 AM
i don't think brad miller gets cut... from what i saw in this game he had a crazy run when the chinese were playing man to man. he hit three straight treys... effectively pulling the big man out of the paint

gus
08-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Box Score?

I've read it in the Spanish Basket Forum. No boxscore.

Gus

2centsworth
08-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, he probably will.
If he plays well on Defense he's guaranteed a spot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2006, 11:18 AM
On NBA.com it says that was the real game and that's the game ESPN2 will be showing later tonight.

Spurologist
08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
i don't think brad miller gets cut... from what i saw in this game he had a crazy run when the chinese were playing man to man. he hit three straight treys... effectively pulling the big man out of the paint

All the big men on the USA roster can hit threes. It's the college line. Even Brand said he can hit that shot all day. If Miller stays, then who goes? LeBron?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
It's gonna be Bowen, Battier, Jamison, Miller, or Hinrich. I think it'll be Miller and Jamison.

Pistons < Spurs
08-07-2006, 11:33 AM
If he plays well on Defense he's guaranteed a spot.

If he is able to keep his spot, of course it will be for his defense and veteran leadership. The problem with that is I don't think he's ever going to see enough minutes for his defense to really shine.

While he's not a bad offense player, he tends to be too unselfish. He loves the team concept and is more likely to pass the ball to create a better shot, than take the shot himslef. That is a trait that you have to love about him ... but it also hurts his chances in this instance.

Whereas a guy like Battier or even Joe Johnson who will also see somewhat limited minutes are more versatile, and are able to do more things when on the floor that allow their game to stand out.

Also, with this teams ability to score 120 on anyone, I don't know if they're ever going to really need defensive stoppers.

I beleive it will be Bowen that gets cut along with Hinrich or Jamison.

C Paul will get most of the run at PG, followed by Gilbert. I'd prefer to see Hinrich in there, but Arenas can score buckets quickly.

I'd also like to see Jamison stay on the team because of his versatility, but someone has to be cut.

And I would be absolutely shocked if Miller gets cut. His game is ideal for international play.

boutons_
08-07-2006, 11:35 AM
"i don't think bowen scored?"

He's never supposed to score. He's supposed to play defense and rebound.

But it looks like the US Team's success will be based on overwhelming offense (ie, Bowen is a misfit) rather than (team) defense. When the USA get 15 - 20 pts ahead, Coach K isn't going to be insisting on shut-down defense.

As much as I admire Bruce and appreicate the honor of his selection, I don't think his "moral" qualities or his defense will be missed from the basketball performance if he's cut. If he's retained, it will be tokenism and to show appreciation for Bruce, not for his limited basketball ability to help the team.

Go Bruce Go

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
On NBATV it said that Lebron was the leading scorer with 23 and China was led by Du Feng with 18.

Spurologist
08-07-2006, 11:43 AM
If he is able to keep his spot, of course it will be for his defense and veteran leadership. The problem with that is I don't think he's ever going to see enough minutes for his defense to really shine.

While he's not a bad offense player, he tends to be too unselfish. He loves the team concept and is more likely to pass the ball to create a better shot, than take the shot himslef. That is a trait that you have to love about him ... but it also hurts his chances in this instance.

Whereas a guy like Battier or even Joe Johnson who will also see somewhat limited minutes are more versatile, and are able to do more things when on the floor that allow their game to stand out.

Also, with this teams ability to score 120 on anyone, I don't know if they're ever going to really need defensive stoppers.

:lol Are you the GM of the phoenix suns. Our goal is to score 100+ pts every game and we are guaranteed to win. The fact is, even though Bowen is a very unselfish player, he minutes he gets on the court are very valuable. His defense is always very constant and you know what you are going to get from him. One on one tight defense against a hot player from the other team.

What happens when Jamison, Melo or other offensive minded players are having an off-night. It bound to happen. They will be basically useless on the court because their defense is pathetic. That type of scenario is when players like Bowen, Heinrich and Battier are so valueable.

I'd rathertake Bowen's apparent lack of versility with his defense than an offensive player whose sole contribution to the game is scoring. I'll take defense every time.

Eva Longoria
08-07-2006, 11:47 AM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/360/millermillerdg8.jpg

:lmao

atleast thats not Tony he's hugging

gus
08-07-2006, 11:50 AM
When I posted it wasn't even in the NBA page.

Gus

boutons_
08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
"What happens when Jamison, Melo or other offensive minded players are having an off-night."

They all won't have an off-game on the same day.

If Bruce was rebounding and stealing and disrupting the offense the way Manu's defense can do, rather than being strictly a one-on-one perimeter defender, he'd be a lot more justifiable and helpful.

Which international team has a single overwhelming perimeter scorer to whom Bruce can apply his defense, in a way that actually changes the game in USA favor?

Spurologist
08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
"What happens when Jamison, Melo or other offensive minded players are having an off-night."

They all won't have an off-game on the same day.

If Bruce was rebounding and stealing and disrupting the offense the way Manu's defense can do, rather than being strictly a one-on-one perimeter defender, he'd be a lot more justifiable and helpful.

Which international team has a single overwhelming perimeter scorer to whom Bruce can apply his defense, in a way that actually changes the game in USA favor?

You might want to watch some old olympic tapes or even the game against Puerto Rico not too long ago. Open Three Galore. The first quarter, USA was trying to press. Why the fuck were they doing that? Can't play D? Yes. It wasn't until the second unit came into the game (Heinrich, Battier, Bowen (not impressive) that USA actually took over the game to win.

Italy in the Olympics was raining threes like there was no tomorrow. You have to get in their faces and play tight D. You have to frustrate them and that's exactly what Bowen can do. Even if he fouls, he is doing his job with limited minutes he has. Bruce doesn't need to steal the ball and rebound too much. All of the USA players do that very well.

About the single oer-whelming player. Just think about nba perimeter stars playing for their country and you have your answer. Manu, Hedo, TP, Surunas or other great European who are play well. All of the teams we lost to had great individual talent that dominated us. That's why Bowen is on the roster. To make sure that doesn't happen

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
LeBron had 22, Melo 18, Miller 14

The box score should be out shortly.

The game is on tonight on ESPN2 at 9:30pm ET and replayed tomorrow on NBATV.

Marklar MM
08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
As previously said, I would also be shocked if Brad Miller gets cut.

Solid D
08-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Jamison doesn't offer much defensively. He is the best junk bucket player in the NBA. Tips and clean-up are his specialty. Sometimes you wonder how he got his 18 or 20 pts. Is that what team USA needs?

I still think Bruce will be needed for the good outside shooting teams. Team USA sagged and played a half-court press, doubling the ball with the offside wing dropping down against Puerto Rico. They didn't need Bruce for that. When Team USA faces a team with hot perimeter shooters, they'd benefit having Bowen.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_exhibition_box2.html

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
GUANGZHOU, China (August 7, 2006)--LeBron James(Cleveland Cavaliers) andCarmelo Anthony(Denver Nuggets), playing one separate units, poured in 22 and 18 points, respectively, as the USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team posted its second consecutive convincing exhibition game victory after recording a 119-73 rout of China in the opening game of the China Basketball Challenge held Monday night in Guangzhou, China.

The USA continues its play in Guangzhou and will conclude action in the China Basketball Challenge facing Brazil on Tuesday evening.

Houston Rockets star Yao Ming, who is still recovering from foot surgery, did not play, and former NBA player Wang Zhizhi also missed the game because of a minor knee injury.

"We came prepared to play and played unselfishly tonight," stated USA and Duke University head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "This is a tremendous opportunity for us to grow as a team and get acclimated to playing in this time zone. To play in front of this crowd was excellent. I was happy in that we played very hard every second and we played unselfishly. As long as we do those two things, we'll continue to improve,"

"In the first quarter, they really played us tough and we had to give our best effort to extend the lead even without some of their key players," stated Elton Brand. "We respect all of our opponents and we know we have to give our best effort. We're not taking any team lightly."

The U.S. started fast. Putting up a 14-0 run to grab a 14-3 lead halfway through the first quarter, China battled back behind a 7-0 run of its own to cut the gap to 17-13. The two teams stayed close the remainder of the quarter and James, who had 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting in the quarter, scored the final five points as the Americans stretched their lead to 24-19 after one quarter of play.

"We just had to settle down. They were riding high off the fans. We wore them down the second half. It's not how you start the game but how you finish," said James.

Outscoring China 36-18 in the second quarter, Anthony hit back to back 3-pointers to help propel the U.S. on a 11-0 run that saw the USA balloon its advantage to 45-25. Finishing the quarter strong, Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers) accounted for eight of the USA's final 13 points in the second quarter and by halftime the United States was fully in charge leading 60-37.

The USA's in-your-face defense forced China into 14 turnovers in the first half and 42.3 percent overall shooting, including a chilly 3-of-11 from 3-point.

The third quarter started with an 18-2 run by the U.S., as China did not score its second field goal of the quarter until 4:58 was left in the third, and at the end of three quarters of action the USA had built its lead to 40 points, 93-53.

In addition to James and Anthony's scoring, the U.S. offense was fueled by 14 points fromBrad Miller(Sacramento Kings) who shot 5-of-5 overall and made all three of his 3-point tries;Dwyane Wade(Miami Heat) tossed in 13 points while adding six rebounds, six assists and five steals; Brand capped the evening with 13 points and six rebounds; andChris Bosh(Toronto Raptors) finished with 10 points.

The U.S. forced China into 34 turnovers, and the Americans were credited with 21 steals. Outrebounding China 30-22, with 15 of the USA's boards coming at the offensive end, the U.S. shot 58.6 percent from the field.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
He still didn't score? :depressed Hell I know he's a great part of this team with his defense but he could at least make one shot.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
He still didn't score? :depressed Hell I know he's a great part of this team with his defense but he could at least make one shot.

He only took one shot. It's not that tragic.
:lol

usckk
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow, i'm very undecided whether or not I think Bruce Bowen will make the U.S. team. Here's what's going through my mind...

Pros:
-Bowen has great leadership and is the veteren of team
-His defense will be very valuable to stop a hot shooter on the opposing team

Cons:
-Coach K isn't going to start him, and Bruce is least effective if he doesn't get bigger minutes.
-It will come down to Miller, Battier, Hinrich, Jamison, and Bowen as to who will get cut. I believe Hinrich will be very valuable for his shooting ability, as with Miller who's game fit perfectly for the international game (especially when he's a big. Remember, we only have on other 7 footer in Bosh). Further, Battier has pretty good defense and can do more on the offensive end than Bowen.

My prediction: Bowen and Jamison gets cut. Just because team U.S.'s defense is more team united than individual defense with the full court press. As for Jamison, his game is already taken care of by other players, so not unique over the others.

usckk
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
By the way, I hope im' wrong.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning Hinrich shooting ability ... his shooting sucks. He's a 40% shooter. If he's kept, it will be because he plays D and distributes not his shooting.

usckk
08-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Hmmm...for some reason I always see him make his shots when I watch him play on WGN. But I rarely watch Bulls games. that's probably why.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
If Bowen is kept on the team (I was told a week ago that it was already decided he was being kept, but we'll see) it will have more to do with LEADERSHIP than anything else. I understand he's been a huge influence on the team as far as focus, goals, etc. So I don't get why everyone is getting worked up if he doesn't score in these exhibition games.

If he makes it, he'll play limited minutes, have a lot of influence that we don't see, and play good D in his time on the floor.

usckk
08-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Elton Brand mentioned him first when asked who he think has the greatest leadership quality.

Drive Like Jehu
08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't understand why everyone is upset Bruce isn't shooting for Team USA....

Bruce only shoots on the Spurs to keep the opposing team honest. Ideally, Bruce wouldn't take a shot for the Spurs. He only takes a shot if the other team leaves him wide open. Bruce is happy to give the scoring opportunities to Tim, Tony and Manu when they are not being swarmed. The same is true on Team USA to an even greater degree when you consider how many scorers are present on the roster.

Simply put, Bruce not taking shots for Team USA is a plus, not a minus.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Chris Paul only had one point today and Hinrich had zero.

By some people's logic in the forum, they should be cut along with Bruce. :angel

tlongII
08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Bowen had better be cut. He has no handle and a very limited offensive game. There is no need for a "supposed leader" who plays spot minutes in garbage time either.

GrandeDavid
08-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Okay, now I'm feeling a little bit more uplifted regarding Bruce's situation now that some of you have chimed in. I will be watching this game, my first for this campaign, so I'm excited.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Bowen had better be cut. He has no handle and a very limited offensive game. There is no need for a "supposed leader" who plays spot minutes in garbage time either.
Look at Kori's sig and you'll see why he's gonna stay.

Behrooz24
08-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Is there a TV schedule for the USA exhibition and tourny games?

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Don't most people expect Argentina to make it to the gold medal game?

If so, isn't Manu Ginobili probably their best player?

Who can guard Manu better than Bruce Bowen?

Answer: nobody.

He actually does his homework. While Manu can go right, he does prefer to go left. Bruce knows all of Manu's tendencies. A guy like Manu can't be stopped completely (if he is having one of his really good games), but he can be slowed down. Bruce can do that. Nobody knows Manu and his moves better than Bruce.

Good perimeter defense will help the USA in other games as well. Good leadership will help teamUSA all the time. Bruce provides that.

Moreover, it isn't like Bruce is an offensive liability. He is a great 3 point shooter (Bruce's spot and his shot) and can now make that in between jumper, go to the rim. In other words, a team can't ignore him when they are playing defense without consequences (unlike Ben Wallace for example).
Besides, it isn't like we need a lot more offense on our team (add up the scoring averages of Brand, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Arenas). So, we have all the offense we need (at any position for that matter).

Bruce will stay and he should stay.

:fro

Kori Ellis
08-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Is there a TV schedule for the USA exhibition and tourny games?

Games on ESPN2

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_espn2.html

Games on NBATV (some are replays of the ESPN2 games)

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_nba%20tv.html

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I notice that tlongII has nothing to say about these points.

Too bad that his hatred for the Spurs overrides his support for his national team.

:depressed

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Does tlongII really believe either of the 2 players who will be cut could contribute as much as Bruce ?

What do they offer which the rest of the team lacks?

Bruce provides lockdown defense on Manu, the best player for the second best team. That will be key to our success against Argentina. No one else provides this nearly as well as Bruce.

What does Jamison provide which teamUSA lacks?

Heinrich has been playing tough d on other guards.

Battier has been making sure that nobody gets an uncontested dunk. He makes them earn it at the free throw line.

I like what they are bringing. But you must cut 2. I cut Jamison and either Battier or Heinrich.

Who do you cut tlongII? Bruce and who?

For my part, I say that Bruce offers more than Jamison and Heinrich and Battier and he only needs to offer more (than team USA does not have as much of and needs) than 2 players.

Jamison is a poor man's version of a lot of other players whom we already have.
The things Jamison does well are things that our other players do better.
Wade did do some denial at the rim.
Battier does not offer as much.
Perhaps I keep Heinrich.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Melo with another strong showing :smokin

tlongII
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Does tlongII really believe either of the 2 players who will be cut could contribute as much as Bruce ?

What do they offer which the rest of the team lacks?

Bruce provides lockdown defense on Manu, the best player for the second best team. That will be key to our success against Argentina. No one else provides this nearly as well as Bruce.

What does Jamison provide which teamUSA lacks?

Heinrich has been playing tough d on other guards.

Battier has been making sure that nobody gets an uncontested dunk. He makes them earn it at the free throw line.

I like what they are bringing. But you must cut 2. I cut Jamison and either Battier or Heinrich.

Who do you cut tlongII? Bruce and who?

Bowen will be cut. It's as simple as that. Did you notice that he played fewer minutes than any other member against China? Bowen is no more of a lockdown defender on Ginobili than D-Wade will be. There is no need for him.

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
So of the 14 players left, there are not 2 players who will help the USA less than Bruce?

Don't believe that.

What does Jamison offer team USA that they don't have?
Battier?

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Melo with another strong showing :smokin

LeBron and Wade keep talking about the 3 of them being the face of the team. He's got their respect. He has earned the respect of the coaching staff and Colangelo.

Impressive stuff.

He starts.

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Bowen will be cut. It's as simple as that. Did you notice that he played fewer minutes than any other member against China? Bowen is no more of a lockdown defender on Ginobili than D-Wade will be. There is no need for him.

Exhibition against China.

In the gold medal game against Argentina, Argentina has the ball with 5 seconds left in the fourth quarter and the game is tied.

Who would be every unbiased USA fan's first choice to be on the floor guarding Manu?

I'll help you a little with this one:
It isn't DWade- he gambles way too much, could get burned or commit a foul .

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner.

The Manu Rules by tko.

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:46 PM
where is tlongII when you need him?

He's that grease spot on the highway.

He has to learn somehow not to float that weak junk up.

Not enough postage on that one.

Return to sender.

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Let's hear some more about who you all would cut and why?

It's not an easy decision, imo.

For example, what are your thoughts, Pistons<Spurs?

Go Spurs, Go Pistons, Go old time Spurs and old Pistons (the defensive dinosaurs of the past) !!!

Or how about you, Nuggets fan. Hopefully, you can be reasonably fair about this since it is our national team.

Or mabber, put in your two cents.

What do you say?

Way too quiet in here. Let's stir some things up.
Did everyone have a bad day just because it's Monday?

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Kori,
do we have a vbookie on team USA winning the FIBA (?)?

If so, I put all of my vbookie money on that.

Probably not a great return.

:depressed :depressed :depressed

But a penny earned is worth about .75 cents.

Mavs<Spurs
08-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Ducks has joined us!

Taking 3 graduate classes in 1 summer session has made me go sleepless. That explains the erratic nature of my posts today and I am studied out. I don't want to study any more, but my classes don't end until Thursday afternoon.

2centsworth
08-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Bowen's D wasn't very good against Puerto Rico. From the box score it's hard to tell how well he played on D against China.

mabber
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM

In the gold medal game against Argentina, Argentina has the ball with 5 seconds left in the fourth quarter and the game is tied.

Who would be every unbiased USA fan's first choice to be on the floor guarding Manu?

Probably Bowen, but the question should be is it worth keeping him for that particular situation? Is he that much better than say Battier to keep him even though he's not contributing as much as Battier is in other areas? I hope they keep Bowen but I don't think it's a slam dunk anymore. Only because of the way the USA has been playing their games (up tempo and always attacking on offense). Maybe they keep both Bowen & Battier. I do know that it's going to be really difficult for coach K to cut Battier since he's playing so well.

tlongII
08-07-2006, 06:16 PM

The problem with your scenario is that Argentina will be down by 25 with 5 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Bowen is not needed on this USA team.

Pistons < Spurs
08-07-2006, 06:34 PM
If we were talking about a tyical NBA team, I would agree that Bowen and his stingy D may be more valuable at times ... however this is more of an ALL-STAR team. An All-Star squad does not require role players any where near as much as a regular season or playoff team.

IMO there is not one, let alone 2 players that would contribute less than Bowen.

No matter how I look at it, I cannot find a reason that Bowen makes the team.

When your average margain of victory is 30 or so points, a defensive stopper is not needed.

IF this team finds itself in a end of game scenario where they need a defensive stop to win, I'd say they already failed. No way this group of guys should ever be in that situation. And if they do, I could argue that if we had another offensive player on the team as opposed to Bowen, they may not have been at the brink of a loss.

This team is unlike any we've put forth into international play in a very long time.

It's not anywhere near as talented as the origional Dream Team.

But

I love who and how they selected their potential players. I love the commitment required of and given by the players and coaching staff. This is some of the greatest players we currently have in the game as opposed to the last few attempts where no one really wanted to or was able to play.

I don't see how any other international team can compete with us. This team is not like our last few teams that barely practiced together for a week. This isn't like past years teams where they were 2nd or 3rd teir players.

The international scene has definetly improved and may have caught up to an unprepared, lower level, poorly coached team that we put out there last time .... but they're not going to be able to compete with this team. No way.

I don't mean that in a bad way to the Argentina's, China's, Spains and other teams out there. It's just that everything about this squad is light years better than the teams we've put out there in years.

Also keep in mind that we will be running and gunning the entire time. It's fast breaks and Alley-oops. Likewise teams we play are going to try an uptempo game to keep up with us. If it was to be a slow down half court game, Bowen IMO would be more effective ... but I don't se that being the case.

And where did this notion that Bowen is a Manu stopper come from? I remember reading an article from SA here on these boards where Bowen commented that he didn't guard Manu in practices. He doesn't gain any special ability to guard him just because he's on the same team. He may have faced Manu 3 years ago ... but not recently. And Manu is often too injured to be around many practices.

I would contend that other players that have had to game plan against Manu in the NBA may be better suited to oppose him.

And as for Bowen being lauded for his leadership .... that's nice. But IMO not really needed. This is a commited, disciplined, and well coached team. They will be more prepared than any other Team USA. They need a 'leader' about as much as I need another hole in my head. :spin

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2006, 07:38 PM

croutons, pretty much every international team has a baller. Hell, they all took turns lighting up Team USA last time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2006, 07:40 PM
If we were talking about a tyical NBA team, I would agree that Bowen and his stingy D may be more valuable at times ... however this is more of an ALL-STAR team. An All-Star squad does not require role players any where near as much as a regular season or playoff team.

IMO there is not one, let alone 2 players that would contribute less than Bowen.

No matter how I look at it, I cannot find a reason that Bowen makes the team.

When your average margain of victory is 30 or so points, a defensive stopper is not needed.

Because they won't be playing Puerto Rico in the World's, it'll be teams like Argentina that they need to contend with.

The other thing Bruce has going for him is history. Colangelo and Coach K said they wanted to put together a team with role players, not just a bunch of All-Stars.

If they cut a guy like Bowen, then get lit up somewhere down the road by a hot perimeter player and lose, they will be the biggest chumps of all time.

MarkCuban
08-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Look at Kori's sig and you'll see why Bruce is gonna stay.

Getting owned by an international german player? i thought thats what they didnt want. im confused

Slinkyman
08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Team USA had 21 steals? that's alot for a team that doesn't play D.

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Game is about to be televised right now.

Pistons < Spurs
08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
It's a little anti-climatic already knowing the outcome and some of the stats .... but I have to say that I'm really looking forward to watching. It's only been a month or so, but I miss basketball so damn much.

smeagol
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Spain beat China by 47 points.

Spurologist
08-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Manu might need to score more than one point for Argentina to have success. That is a fact.

MI21
08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Pistons<Spurs, Bowen is the man to guard Ginobili.

I just wish I had the quote by Manu saying that when Bruce guards you, you just want to push him... something like that anyway.

I've watched a lot of International Basketball over the years, there is definitly a spot on the team for Bowen. Also, if Team USA dumps Brad Miller that would be a terrible decision.

TDMVPDPOY
08-08-2006, 02:23 AM
how did yi jianlian go, the top prospect in next seasons draft or the one after it.....

dimsah
08-08-2006, 05:11 AM
The 2004 olympic team was blowing people out during exhibitions to, and how did that turn out. There will be times for team USA when noone is hitting their outside shots, and the only constant will be defensive intensity which Bruce brings in droves.

People sure fucking forget quickly.

furry_spurry
08-08-2006, 05:19 AM
About the single over-whelming player. Just think about nba perimeter stars playing for their country and you have your answer. Manu, Hedo, TP, Surunas or other great European who are play well.
Hedo and Sarunas aren't playing.

I hope Bruce gets to go to the WC because I don't think he will make the Olympic Team if some of the guys who could not play this summer are available then.