PDA

View Full Version : Weight - Women on Women the cause?

dougp
08-07-2006, 12:02 PM
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/woman/story/0,,1835485,00.html

Interesting read - and while not entirely true, I think it holds valid weight ... no pun intended.
And I had no idea for a title.

SpursWoman
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
:lmao @ the title....yeah, that was pretty deceptive. :lol

Beautiful bones? Hardly, says Dr Dee Dawson. 'With a body like that, she'll be osteoporotic very early, she's unlikely to be menstruating, her muscles are being eaten from within - even her heart will have wasted away.

If they are trying to dissuade young girls from starving themselves to death, they should probably leave that little tidbit out. :spin

ChumpDumper
08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Thirty-eight per cent of British women are now classified as overweight, and one in five is obese. If we resemble anyone, it's not Posh Spice. It's Elton John.:lol

1Parker1
08-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Other exemplars include Lindsay Lohan, Mischa Barton, Nicole Richie, Kate Bosworth, Amy Winehouse -

Who's Amy Winehouse?

1Parker1
08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh and personally...I've never looked at a celebrity model and wished I could be that thin. To me they were always like Barbies or people from another planet, sure they're all beautiful, but I never thought that getting to be a size 00 would get me to look like them. Personally, everyday girls my age I see on the streets are more influencing.

Jimcs50
08-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Who's Amy Winehouse?

Jazz singer songwriter from England. She is pretty good actually. She did that song Fuck me Pumps.

:lol

ChumpDumper
08-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Personally, everyday girls my age I see on the streets are more influencing.Hookers?

1Parker1
08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Yea...because the "Everyday" girl= a hooker. :rolleyes

And what exactly are you insinuating about me with that comment anyways? :eyebrows

ChumpDumper
08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Yea...because the "Everyday" girl= a hooker.Depends on your neighborhood, I guess.
And what exactly are you insinuating about me with that comment anyways?You're no Elton John....

ObiwanGinobili
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
. In this looking-glass world, a 100-pounder is a heavyweight. Size 00 - a logical impossibility when you pause to consider it - is now Hollywood's dress-size of choice. True perspective can be gained when you consider that the pin-up of the 1890s was Lillian Russell, all 200 pounds of her.
http://www.judgmentofparis.com/lillian/lil13a.jpg
http://www.judgmentofparis.com/lillian/lil52.jpg
http://www.judgmentofparis.com/images/Lil42.jpg

We don't even have to mention Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren - none of whom would get the job today - to know that something's up.
Jayne
http://personales.ya.com/ingenieros/pin_ups/mansfiel/fotos3/mansf_36.jpg
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/220654~Jayne-Mansfield-Posters.jpg
Marilyn
http://fatboy.cc/images/marilyn%20monroe%206.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/victor55/Marilyn-Monroe.jpg
Sophia
http://www.artgallery.umd.edu/chim/images/sophia.jpg
http://www.marilyn-monroe-memorabilia.com/other%20legends/sophia%20Loren/pic12.jpg

dougp
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
ok some of those are NSFW ... but they're all a lot more attractive than quite a few of the ones listed in the article.

DJREN37
08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I look up to Jim Belushi, so im eating my ass of to look like him.

ObiwanGinobili
08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
On the Other Hand......

Victoria Beckham
http://xtramsn.co.nz/homepage2/imageLargeView/0,,5499917,00.jpeg
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/06/victoriaBIG250606_228x510.jpg
Keira Knightley
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/2006-07/05/xin_490703050914884769816.jpg
Eva Herzigova
http://www.moda.it/fnts/moda/immagini/evagalleria/400/eva06.jpg

CharlieMac
08-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I remember reading that women did permanent damage to their bodies back in the 1920's and earlier by wearing excessively tight corsets.

1Parker1
08-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Ewwwww, Victoria Beckem isn't even pretty (even aside from the skinniness).

ObiwanGinobili
08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Corsets were mostly extinct by the 1920's. (only to be replaced by rubber girdles)

but yes they did major damage to themselves in the 1700 & 1800's.
especially around 1820's - 1860's when the ideal waist was 17inches in a debutante.
some went to extremes and had thier lower ribs removed.

ObiwanGinobili
08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I refer to her as skeletor, Hubie's younger sister.

SpursWoman
08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
That picture of Keira still scares me...I swear I saw her on an episode of Skeleton Stories the other day. :wow :lol

CharlieMac
08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Corsets were mostly extinct by the 1920's. (only to be replaced by rubber girdles)

but yes they did major damage to themselves in the 1700 & 1800's.
especially around 1820's - 1860's when the ideal waist was 17inches in a debutante.
some went to extremes and had thier lower ribs removed.

Oh that's right, I forgot about that. 17 inches...........that's messed up.

dougp
08-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I refer to her as skeletor, Hubie's younger sister.
Haha that's some funny stuff OG :lol

ShoogarBear
08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey, Obi, give us a break! How are we supposed to read these threads at work?

1Parker1
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
:lol I know, I agree Shoogar! I had to scroll down really fast past Obi's post...

MissAllThat
08-07-2006, 07:48 PM
They're just way too skinny. It's quite gross. I have a friends who is pretty thin, has really nice abs, and big boobs (and yes, they're real)....but she's always complaining about how she needs to lose weight and going without eating. It makes me want to slap her.

CuckingFunt
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I get funny looks and snickers behind my back all the time for my weight despite the fact that I'm a former dancer with a 26" waist -- I just happen to be naturally curvy. Kind of appalling, really. I love my size/shape, though, and wouldn't change it for the world.

GoGoGadget
08-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Women on women I dream of that every night.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 05:50 AM
i actually made a comment about this in some earlier thread. anyway, while VB is usually too thin (imo) as is KN...a majority of people are overweight. why don't they concentrate on themselves and taking care of their own bodies instead of ripping on guys or girls that 'may' be too skinny. critiquing other males and females, may make you feel temporarily better, but isn't going to solve your own problems. shit drives me crazy...so many haters in the world. if you don't have it, can't do it, or won't do it...you don't have to bring others down.

....speaking in generalities, of course.

conversekid
08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
the new hollywood woman is gross. nothing wrong with being fit... but starving to obtain the skeleton look is gross. The maryln monroe size is best.... curves.. yum yum

Sunshine
08-23-2007, 07:36 AM
This makes me want to rush out and eat a donut.

I like my curves, tyvm.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 08:05 AM
This makes me want to rush out and eat a donut.

I like my curves, tyvm.

good. you're probably not one of the stupid bitches that needlessly picks apart other girls then/anyway.

SpursWoman
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
good. you're probably not one of the stupid bitches that needlessly picks apart other girls then/anyway.

You should worry about your own intellegence and not the intellegence of others. Ripping stupid bitches and tearing them down isn't going to solve your own problems. The same can be said for ugly and/or overweight people, too.

Or, is critiquing only okay if you do it?

I think those emaciated looking girls are horrifying, and I have no desire whatsoever to look like that. That doesn't make me a hater, it makes me someone with their own opinion. If *they* don't happen to like it, they can quit forcing themselves down everyone's throat. Just a thought.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 08:54 AM
All in all Americans are fat an lazy

tlongII
08-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Yep.

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I find it interesting that most guys are hot for the supermodel type girl, yet the partner they chose in life looks nothing like that.

And some of us older gals realize that we aren't in our 20s anymore and don't waste time being 'jus jeluz'.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:10 AM
You should worry about your own intellegence and not the intellegence of others. Ripping stupid bitches and tearing them down isn't going to solve your own problems. The same can be said for ugly and/or overweight people, too.

Or, is critiquing only okay if you do it?

I think those emaciated looking girls are horrifying, and I have no desire whatsoever to look like that. That doesn't make me a hater, it makes me someone with their own opinion. If *they* don't happen to like it, they can quit forcing themselves down everyone's throat. Just a thought.

i thought you were user friendly?...lol. anyway, are you speaking in generalities? or at me?

critiquing only OK for me?...course not. i don't critique women, i find certain women attractive and certain women not...it just worked out that way. i do find it completely unnecessary to demean others and am tired of hearing girls and guys bash each other. i suppose thats just the way it is, but its ridiculous and the jealousy is pathetic.

you're entitled to your opinion on girls 'you' think look emaciated. i fail to see any girls forcing themselves down anyone's throat. there is a market for certain types of girls and certain photos or videos and whatnot...and thats b/c people want to see it. any time the media publishes pictures of certain girls out and about, granted i could care less, but its b/c some people are glued to that shit. the only thing being forced down anyone's throat...is what they asked for. while individually you may be an exception...thats fine. but i still fail to see the point in ripping on other peoples appearances...does it make you feel better?

i fail to see anything constructive about people hating on another's appearance. appears to be nothing more than hens in a hen house if you ask me...but, maybe i am asking too much.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:11 AM

lmao.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
lmao.

Well I'm not finding it funny

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I find it interesting that most guys are hot for the supermodel type girl, yet the partner they chose in life looks nothing like that.

i don't. its simple math girl...if most guys could date a supermodel they would. there just isn't enough to go around, not to mention i don't see many of them going for the average joe. that being said, i suppose your definition of a supermodel could be different than mine.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Well I'm not finding it funny

lmao. thats life in the richest country in the world. the laziness, inability, or unwillingness to take care of ones self is shocking at its current level.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 09:19 AM
How couldn't I find a right woman?

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 09:22 AM
lmao. thats life in the richest country in the world. the laziness, inability, or unwillingness to take care of ones self is shocking at its current level.

Inability to think?

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
How couldn't I find a right woman?

explain.

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
i don't. its simple math girl...if most guys could date a supermodel they would. there just isn't enough to go around, not to mention i don't see many of them going for the average joe. that being said, i suppose your definition of a supermodel could be different than mine.

I think you need to look at the men the supermodels and famous women are involved with. Looks dept. they ain't nothing to write home about.

tlongII
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I think you need to look at the men the supermodels and famous women are involved with. Looks dept. they ain't nothing to write home about.
:bling :bling :bling

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:39 AM
:bling :bling :bling

Oh, I agree totally. I'm just talking about looks.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM

while i am no source, i have seen a few examples of what you are talking about...some of those guys, in particular, seem to have very high profile and powerful jobs or a lot of money. not your average joe...

i stand by my previous statements...

Flea
08-23-2007, 09:45 AM
JGW, I don't think women on here are criticizing other women for being thin but for being so thin it is unhealthy. These are also the women we see on the magazines and everywhere we look. My oldest weigh 101 and is around 5'4 1/2. She is a soccer player and there is not an ounce of fat on her. Her waist is tiny and SHE doesnt even wear a zero. I cannot imagine her 10-15 years from now as a woman in her 20's weighing the same amount.

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
while i am no source, i have seen a few examples of what you are talking about...some of those guys, in particular, seem to have very high profile and powerful jobs or a lot of money. not your average joe...

i stand by my previous statements...

Yes, high profile people.

But in my general observation of people...the really good looking chicks aren't with really good looking guys and vice versa.

SpursWoman
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
critiquing only OK for me?...course not. i don't critique women, i find certain women attractive and certain women not...it just worked out that way. i do find it completely unnecessary to demean others and am tired of hearing girls and guys bash each other. i suppose thats just the way it is, but its ridiculous and the jealousy is pathetic.

you're entitled to your opinion on girls 'you' think look emaciated. i fail to see any girls forcing themselves down anyone's throat. there is a market for certain types of girls and certain photos or videos and whatnot...and thats b/c people want to see it. any time the media publishes pictures of certain girls out and about, granted i could care less, but its b/c some people are glued to that shit. the only thing being forced down anyone's throat...is what they asked for. while individually you may be an exception...thats fine. but i still fail to see the point in ripping on other peoples appearances...does it make you feel better?

i fail to see anything constructive about people hating on another's appearance. appears to be nothing more than hens in a hen house if you ask me...but, maybe i am asking too much.

Aren't you a relatively active participant in that "Rate Her" thread in the Troll forum? If I'm not mistaken, critiquing other people is what that thread is all about....and laughing at other people's negative assessments of someone is not different than saying it yourself. So yeah, you're just as guilty as everyone else, whether you realize it or not. :lol

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:51 AM
In case someone quoted me BEFORE I edited...I meant to type AREN't

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:54 AM
JGW, I don't think women on here are criticizing other women for being thin but for being so thin it is unhealthy. These are also the women we see on the magazines and everywhere we look.

i never said women on here were, i was speaking in general terms. fwiw, i don't think that many women on magazine covers, etc. are unhealthy. its lean muscle mass, not the amount of fat you have that matters.

kudos to your daughter for playing sports, good luck to her...

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, high profile people.

But in my general observation of people...the really good looking chicks aren't with really good looking guys and vice versa.

could be.

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Oh, and the fact that the all the pictures are completely airbrushed and the person posing has had hours spent on them for hair and make-up. I don't care you how good-looking you are. You don't look like that in real life! Man or Woman.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
explain.

Well I'm not that bad looking
Mostly I'm nice (realy :) )
I'm a gentelman and treats women seriosly.
I've got specific although good sense of humor in real life during the conversations
I can dance (which I haven't expected from me before)

There in this world you need to have a match with other gender (sex)
all comparisons I studied in my mind me<->others provided me to one not-so-funny conclusion:

There is no fucking match!
I won't find a right woman. I would have to deal with other persons bad habbits, inperfections.
But as many say - that's life and those inperfections are what giving you a pleasure of living with the other person, give you some adrenaline.
(Good Will Hunting - fine movie)

Sunshine
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I just pray to God that my daughter doesn't look at some of these stick figures and think to herself "I need to look like her to be valued in society".

Shelly
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I just pray to God that my daughter doesn't look at some of these stick figures and think to herself "I need to look like her to be valued in society".

Amen!

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Aren't you a relatively active participant in that "Rate Her" thread in the Troll forum? If I'm not mistaken, critiquing other people is what that thread is all about....and laughing at other people's negative assessments of someone is not different than saying it yourself. So yeah, you're just as guilty as everyone else, whether you realize it or not. :lol

1. no i am not an active participant

2. me calling people out on being negative is completely different than people

ripping others appearances, not sure what you are talking about

3. laughing at others who make ridiculous judgments is nowhere near the

same as well...i am not the root of the issue and i don't make it worse, nor

do people even realize what i am laughing about

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Oh, and the fact that the all the pictures are completely airbrushed and the person posing has had hours spent on them for hair and make-up. I don't care you how good-looking you are. You don't look like that in real life! Man or Woman.

its a magazine appealing to masses, of course they are going to try and make it as best looking as possible.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Good looking men shoul be with good looking women
=
Good looking children

But all in all you can see a fake good looking in todays world.

Come - visit Europe

Esp. Poland :)
Everybody who goes to States says: yugh (or something like that) Ugly and fat (in general). That's the difference. But as I look from a perspective and the experience the people are getting uglier (here). It's because of 'americanisation'.
Ehh still at the disco last night there were some magnificient women. :)

mrsmaalox
08-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I won't find a right woman. I would have to deal with other persons bad habbits, inperfections.
Your description of yourself sounds fair and very "normal". There is someone out there for you (maybe morethan one :spin ); but unless you were joking you maybe should postpone that search until you understand that dealing with the other persons bad habits and imperfections is a 2-way street; it's the name of the game!! But not to worry you'll find someone! :cheer

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Well I'm not that bad looking
Mostly I'm nice (realy :) )
I'm a gentelman and treats women seriosly.
I've got specific although good sense of humor in real life during the conversations
I can dance (which I haven't expected from me before)

There in this world you need to have a match with other gender (sex)
all comparisons I studied in my mind me<->others provided me to one not-so-funny conclusion:

But as many say - that's life and those inperfections are what giving you a pleasure of living with the other person, give you some adrenaline.
(Good Will Hunting - fine movie)

i think i got most of that. look, you'll be fine bro...just relax, no need to get all extended and stressed. each relationship you have is a step in the right direction, they are all learning experiences...you find out more about the opposite sex and yourself and what you want each time. i think when you are ready to settle down is when you will meet someone...those things usually have a nice way of working out. plus, there is more than one person out there for each of us, at least imo.

as for the imperfections...of course, nobody is perfect. and whomever said that is correct, you do love people for their imperfections...they grow on you and help a couple grow together.

lastly, you seem like a good guy, girls will notice that....give it time. there is a match.

Shelly
08-23-2007, 10:21 AM
its a magazine appealing to masses, of course they are going to try and make it as best looking as possible.

My point is that the if you saw the magazine person in real life, you might not be so impressed.

you=generic you.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
i think i got most of that. look, you'll be fine bro...just relax, no need to get all extended and stressed. each relationship you have is a step in the right direction, they are all learning experiences...you find out more about the opposite sex and yourself and what you want each time. i think when you are ready to settle down is when you will meet someone...those things usually have a nice way of working out. plus, there is more than one person out there for each of us, at least imo.

as for the imperfections...of course, nobody is perfect. and whomever said that is correct, you do love people for their imperfections...they grow on you and help a couple grow together.

lastly, you seem like a good guy, girls will notice that....give it time. there is a match.

Thank you much.

And I'm learning realy fast.
My success is to get up from a depression. But still I've got some pessimistic sentencess that makes my colleuges thinking I'm stupid thinking like that.
The biggest problem I have is believing in myself.
But I think I will be allright although my life is not that easy.
Damn maybe I should start another topic on that one.

Well I still need to lose 20 pounds or so.
I just can't get into the rythym in the diet.
And losing justv 20 pounds it's not such a big problem to me cause I proven myself to lose more then that.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 10:38 AM

isn't a lot of that up to you? i think its unfortunate that some young men and women feel that way. be happy with who you are...and ultimately you won't be ripping on others.

Sunshine
08-23-2007, 11:49 AM
isn't a lot of that up to you? i think its unfortunate that some young men and women feel that way. be happy with who you are...and ultimately you won't be ripping on others.

Yes, a lot of that IS up to me, as her parent. But society in general puts a lot of emphasis on "fitting in"...you have to drive the right car, wear the right clothes, be thin and beautiful, etc.

I hope that the example I set for my kids about being comfortable with who you are and the importance of making your own decisions and not going with the crowd for the sake of fitting in will stick with them their entire lives.

polandprzem
08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, a lot of that IS up to me, as her parent. But society in general puts a lot of emphasis on "fitting in"...you have to drive the right car, wear the right clothes, be thin and beautiful, etc.

I hope that the example I set for my kids about being comfortable with who you are and the importance of making your own decisions and not going with the crowd for the sake of fitting in will stick with them their entire lives.

The most important thing in rising kids is to remeber they are learning by excamples.
TV internet and esp. parents and envoirnment. Not many can be such individualists to be above it and create their own "me".

ploto
08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I will admit that I know that I have a distorted view of how I look.

Jekka
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM
A client at work recently told me I had a "fat ass" - she said it like it was just some observation: "You know, your waist is kind of small, but your ass is fat." I thought it was pretty funny, especially since it came from an older woman with a belly bigger than some full-term pregnant woman that I've seen. The situation deteriorated when I got stuck in a room with her for the next 4 hours ... but initially I found it entertaining.

It took me a long time to cut back on caring about how skinny I was in favor of caring about how healthy I am, but I'm in a much better place now than, say, my freshman year of college. While I did get more positive attention from guys when I could see my ribs without stretching (lots more actually, it was kind of depressing if I thought about it too much), I still got more compliments from women than men about my figure at my lowest weight. Women may be victims of a weight-obsessed society, but that doesn't mean that we don't have our fair share in perpetuating it.

ploto
08-23-2007, 10:39 PM
^^Very true. Men are much more likely to say you look too thin while women will tell you that you look great!