PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Brazil

orhe
08-08-2006, 08:02 AM
USA vs Brazil is at halftime
i think the score is 52 - 41

Carmelo has an hyperextended knee and won't come back (late 2nd quarter hustling for the ball)
Bowen hasn't played

USA having problems w/ the zone

1Parker1
08-08-2006, 08:14 AM
52-41 isn't bad! :)

orhe
08-08-2006, 08:34 AM
*Update

score is 60 - 59 for the USA w/ one free throw to go...

brazil had a 54-52 lead and 57 - 56 too till jamison almost had a 4 point play (missed the freebie)

kolko
08-08-2006, 08:41 AM
End of the 3rd quarter, USA leading by 1

johngateswhiteley
08-08-2006, 08:41 AM
where are you guys getting updates from?

johngateswhiteley
08-08-2006, 08:46 AM
nevermind, just put on NBA tv

orhe
08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
*Update

Brazil 82
USA 79
4:47 left in the 4th Quarter

former spur alex garcia just hit the jump shot to extend brazil's lead to 3!

repeat after me
Anderson Varejao Pawns ALL

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 08:56 AM
wow. Olympic flashbacks all over again.

myhc
08-08-2006, 08:57 AM
keep the updates coming guys...wow, wakeup call anybody?

orhe
08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
its 82-81 now... missed who made the shot because i was updating O_O

johngateswhiteley
08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
...that little point guard for brazil keeps stealing the ball or almost stealing it from hinrich and paul. crazy...

J.T.
08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
USA will win by 4.

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Brazil has always played USA well even though they're not even top 10 in the world rankings

Eric Dampier
08-08-2006, 09:05 AM
they need me out there.

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
now im fucking mad...
the refs are getting way over their heads and are ruining a perfectly great game...
first the offensive call against varejao which should have been a no call... (both he and arenas were moving)
second the play where the guy just tried to strip brand... and got called for an intentional foul..

basically on that play they gave the USA 4 free throws + possession... = 6 free throws
they made 5...

then they call the brazilian PG for a technical when it was lebron me thinks who chopped his hand off <-- not sure about this but damn that was stupid of the ref

1Parker1
08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Good, I actually hope USA loses! They're way too cocky and arrogant. :)

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Good, I actually hope USA loses! They're way too cocky and arrogant. :)

how so?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
48 seconds and USA leading 87-86 with the ball.

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
^^^ whoops nevermind 87-86

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Now 20 seconds to go USA leads by 3 going to the line

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Paul misses both but Joe Johnson gets a steal with 3 seconds left

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Johnson makes one free throw and time runs out. Final score 90-86

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
USA wins 90-86

it was a combination of brazil losing its cool + the refs helping... plus USA making their free throws... im saying this as a negative because during the second half USA got outplayed BADLY

myhc
08-08-2006, 09:14 AM
ok guys, for those of you who saw the game, can you give us a post game rundown? what happened? with carmelo out, are we in deep doo-doo? were the problems from 2004 rearing their ugly head again (i.e. not hitting jumpers, being picked apart on defense)? who played well? did bruce do anything?

joeyjfive
Go USA

usckk
What's the word on the Carmelo? how long is he out?

MarkCuban
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
now im fucking mad...
the refs are getting way over their heads and are ruining a perfectly great game...
first the offensive call against varejao which should have been a no call... (both he and arenas were moving)
second the play where the guy just tried to strip brand... and got called for an intentional foul..

basically on that play they gave the USA 4 free throws + possession... = 6 free throws
they made 5...

then they call the brazilian PG for a technical when it was lebron me thinks who chopped his hand off <-- not sure about this but damn that was stupid of the ref

so your saying theyre allowed to strip the ball cleanly without calling a foul??????? your also saying that if two guys fall down its possible not to call any foul???????????? what are you smoking? :drunk

ducks
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Carmelo Anthony hyper extended his knee when diving for a loose ball and crashing into his own bench (hit Coach K). They said at halftime he will not return.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
God I hope Carmelo is okay. :depressed

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
now im fucking mad...

they made 5...

That PG guy did do a double-dribble. I don't know what he was trying to pull.

dimsah
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Did Bruce play? From the sound of it they could have used some defense.

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
well a rundown...

the USA got to a speedy start and led 14-3. after that crazy sequence it was apparent that Brazil can tough it out....

things the USA team SHOULD improve on...
offense against the zone
rebounding (i can't believe im saying... but fuck the united states frontcourt is SMALL)
Defense <-- no1 priority
taking boneheaded jumpshots instead of trying to force it inside...

again DEFENSE jesus Alex Garcia was breaking them down EASY

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
That PG guy did do a double-dribble. I don't know what he was trying to pull.

yes he did do a double dribble but what the fuck were the ref thinknig when he gave varejao a Technical?

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:20 AM
so your saying theyre allowed to strip the ball cleanly without calling a foul??????? your also saying that if two guys fall down its possible not to call any foul???????????? what are you smoking? :drunk

dude did you fucking watch the game? he tried to strip the ball and got called for an intentional foul! an intentional foul is a technical foul in international rules
and a T = 2 free throws!! when you slap on someone's hand/arm when he's going for a shot thats not an intentional foul!

i said it should have been a non-call because both were moving... and it really didn't affect the play

hendrix
08-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Great win by USA.
Argentina also struggled against Brazil but eventually won by 6.
USA managed to win by 4 in a very close game.

I think that this is an improvement for you people. You are getting closer to the level of the Olympic Champion.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
yes he did do a double dribble but what the fuck were the ref thinknig when he gave varejao a Technical?
I thought they gave it to the PG guy?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Boxscore please!

MarkCuban
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
dude did you fucking watch the game? he tried to strip the ball and got called for an intentional foul! an intentional foul is a technical foul in international rules
and a T = 2 free throws!! when you slap on someone's hand/arm when he's going for a shot thats not an intentional foul!

i said it should have been a non-call because both were moving... and it really didn't affect the play

so your saying if someone falls down they might not call a foul? is that possible?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM

I too was wondering about the foul that Brand drew.

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:24 AM
^^
im not entirely sure... doesn't matter... the game is over :)

im only basing this on the actions on the court and not what the ref was hearing...

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
so your saying if someone falls down they might not call a foul? is that possible?

yeah coz he could've flopped... go away :)

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Great win by USA.
Argentina also struggled against Brazil but eventually won by 6.
USA managed to win by 4 in a very close game.

I think that this is an improvement for you people. You are getting closer to the level of the Olympic Champion.

:lol what are u smoking? the olympic champion got smacked around by softy spain.

USA is the clear favorite but once teams start beleiving they are beatable, USA is in deep trouble.

MarkCuban
08-08-2006, 09:28 AM
yeah coz he could've flopped... go away :)

whats a flop? if somebody falls down its a foul. sorry. theyre lucky i wasnt there because i wouldve stormed on the court until they carried me off, then i would make a rule change and hire my own refs :madrun

orhe
08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
try asking dirk that! he does that all the time!

hendrix
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
:lol what are u smoking? the olympic champion got smacked around by softy spain.

USA is the clear favorite but once teams start beleiving they are beatable, USA is in deep trouble.

I was teasing.

MarkCuban
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
dont ever insult Dirk! :madrun the man is a warrior and is simply the most dominant player in professional sorts history!! Face it. the league has it out for him. he wouldve won the MVP but the league was all over Wade, Kobe, and Nash. so Dirk had to earn it the hard way. he is a low post banger who doesnt go to the line NEARLY as many times as he needs to. the league has it out for the Mavs. we were doubted, tested all year, and we still emerged on top. WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS! :hat

polandprzem
08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
The domination

CubanMustGo
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Biggest chokers in NBA Finals history :hat

Fixed.

J.T.
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
USA will win by 4.

Final score was 90-86, USA wins. Damn I'm like Nostradamus and shit :smokin

polandprzem
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Final score was 90-86, USA wins. Damn I'm like Nostradamus and shit :smokin

More like shit

J.T.
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
More like shit

Don't be upset because you don't have the power to see the future.

polandprzem
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Don't be upset because you don't have the power to see the future.

Pm me my future and then check my spurs under username :D

How the USA team end up in the turnament?

angel_luv
08-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I wish they had shown this game on ESPN- sounds like it was a good one.

GrandeDavid
08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm always for America, but it was damn nice to see my boys in Brazil kick ass. I'm telling you guys, they are a force to be reckoned with.

GrandeDavid
08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Alex Garcia is a buddy of mine and I've seen him play up close for a few years now. He was tearin shit up along with Leandro.

GrandeDavid
08-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Brazil has always played USA well even though they're not even top 10 in the world rankings

Bro, they are like Italy in last year's World Cup. They are ranked so low because most of their marquee players only play for the national team literally right before the World Championships. If they had a commited team like Argentina, they'd be top five, possibly, top three.

THIS team that just faced USA is top five, easily.

GrandeDavid
08-08-2006, 10:51 AM
http://globoesporte.globo.com/ESP/Noticia/0,,AA1246774-4433,00.html

Pistons < Spurs
08-08-2006, 10:54 AM
U.S. edges Brazil late; Anthony injures knee

GUANGZHOU, China -- Carmelo Anthony scored 16 first-half points before being forced out with a knee injury, and the United States hung on for a 90-86 victory over Brazil on Tuesday.

Anthony set the early pace for the U.S., but slipped while chasing a ball to the sideline with 2:21 left in the second quarter. He crashed into coach Mike Krzyzewski and left the game with a hyperextended right knee, an injury team officials said didn't appear serious.

Kirk Hinrich added 14 points for the Americans, who led 52-38 at halftime. Brazil staged a big comeback while Anthony sat out the rest of the warmup game before the world basketball championship.

Brazil went on a 16-0 run right after the break to grab a 54-52 advantage. The teams then traded the lead throughout the third quarter.

Taking advantage of Anthony's absence, Brazil went on the attack. Welington Dos Santos rattled the U.S. defense with his speed and passing, while Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns, and Alex Garcia repeatedly drove to the basket. Both finished with 14 points.

Cleveland Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao dictated play under the basket, racking up six defensive rebounds and three offensive boards in the third quarter. He fouled out in the final frame with Brazil trailing 85-82.

LeBron James made a late layup, and Joe Johnson -- who finished with 12 points -- added one from the free-throw line to seal it for the Americans.

Hinrich was 8-for-8 from the foul line, and hit two of four 3-point attempts.

The hard-fought win followed two easy U.S. victories and offered a preview of the tougher competition the Americans will likely face at the world championship, which begins in Japan on Aug. 19.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2543157

angel_luv
08-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I hope Carmelo is going to be okay. It is such a shame to be injured- especially when you have put in so much work for an important tournament.

mabber
08-08-2006, 10:59 AM
try asking dirk that! he does that all the time!

Not that it matters, but I don't recall ever seeing Dirk flop before. He would have to be trying to play defense to do that and that just doesn't happen very often :lol In fact, the only guy on the Mavs that even tries to take a charge on defense is Devin Harris.

orhe
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Not that it matters, but I don't recall ever seeing Dirk flop before. He would have to be trying to play defense to do that and that just doesn't happen very often :lol In fact, the only guy on the Mavs that even tries to take a charge on defense is Devin Harris.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

Pistons < Spurs
08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
:spless: :spless:

furry_spurry
08-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Same problem as before-- can't score against a team that plays a good zone defense. This team still doesn't have pure jump shooters that are needed for international play.

PS-- Can't people keep their BS out of this thread and discuss the game between the US and Brazil??

Pistons < Spurs
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I'll be curious to see how badly hurt Mello is. This may be Jamison's opportunity to make the final roster.

mabber
08-08-2006, 11:26 AM
:spless: :spless:

In fact, the only time Dirk ever hits the floor is on offense. All he ever does on defense is swat at the ball from the side. Trying to take charge and/or flopping on defense is not something he remotely knows how or tries to do.

Anyone that thinks differently is CLUELESS, but that doesn't surprise me with some of you.

angel_luv
08-08-2006, 11:26 AM
When is the final roster going to be announced?

SLOVENIAN 8
08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
When we play with USA, we just need put Rasho , Breza and Slokar under the basket and USA is going down :smokin

angel_luv
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
When we play with USA, we just need put Rasho , Breza and Slokar under the basket and USA is going down :smokin

Fear the Sho!

Two more weeks. :fro

SLOVENIAN 8
08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
If Slovenia win the game against USA, that would be something ....... Can you imagine Slovenia with 2 milions of people bet USA lol :smokin

I cant wait for this game....

I just hope that Rasho stops with his outside shots , becouse i become nervous when he starts to shoot from outside :madrun

MajorMike
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
In fact, the only time Dirk ever hits the floor is on offense. All he ever does on defense is swat at the ball from the side. Trying to take charge and/or flopping on defense is not something he remotely knows how or tries to do.

Completely agree. He has no clue how to body up and play defense, therefore all he does is get beat and come in late to swat at the ball. Hard to take a flop when you are always behind the guy you defend.

furry_spurry
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I just hope that Rasho stops with his outside shots , becouse i become nervous when he starts to shoot from outside :madrun
But he is the new 3-point threat. :spin

Seriously, though, I think it will be interesting for NBA fans to see Rasho in a different light- under FIBA rules and as the leader of his team. :)

angel_luv
08-08-2006, 11:53 AM
If Slovenia win the game against USA, that would be something ....... Can you imagine Slovenia with 2 milions of people bet USA lol :smokin

I cant wait for this game....

Believe. :D

But he is the new 3-point threat. :spin

Seriously, though, I think it will be interesting for NBA fans to see Rasho in a different light- under FIBA rules and as the leader of his team. :)

It is going to be fantastic! I am so excited!!!!!

MarkCuban
08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Dirk never flops

1Parker1
08-08-2006, 12:35 PM
How did Wade do in Melo's absence?

Spurologist
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Pistons<Spurs,

Care to elaborate on how this is an All Star game, where defense isn't needed and where the mentality is to score 100+. I'm curious about your opinion.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
dang it! Melo better sit out for a bit. The Nuggets medical staff spoke to the USA medical staff and there is no swelling, no signs of anything serious. Im sure they will rest him

sounds like they struggles without him though :lol

Cant the Nuggets ever have someone who doesnt get injured? :smokin

Haiku
08-08-2006, 02:44 PM
dang it! Melo better sit out for a bit. The Nuggets medical staff spoke to the USA medical staff and there is no swelling, no signs of anything serious. Im sure they will rest him

no reason to care
Nuggets are going nowhere
why cant you see that?

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
If Melo is the heart and soul of team USA, I put my money on Argentina or Lithuania

BALLZ & MY WORD
08-08-2006, 02:45 PM

Yeah you all have had some tough breaks with that china doll frontcourt. Between China Doll Camby and one legged Kenyon you have no luck.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-08-2006, 02:51 PM
If Melo is the heart and soul of team USA, I put my money on Argentina or Lithuania

wtf??! man some people just cant stand the thought that maybe Melo is the hardest working one out there and actually proving to people that he is dedicated and ready to play his butt off for his country.

I think it would be a good sign to see the one who gets 'hated' on the most, to finally start making people realise he is growing up and is learning from his mistakes.

One single person shouldnt be the heart and soul of the team. There would be a problem if it was one single person, no matter who that was.

cheguevara
08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry, but I have no confidence in Melo when it comes to bringing Team USA to the promised land. So team USA SHOULD NOT struggle w/out Melo, if they do, they are in trouble.

Dre_7
08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Boxscore?

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
oh well, thats your opinion. If any of the games are close or tied towards the end, id go with Melo over anyone else. Games may never be that close but if they are then we will see who leads them to 'the promised land' :lol

mabber
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM

Be happy that the Nuggets are in the easiest division in the western conference. They'd finish in 4th or 5th place in the Mavs & Spurs division.

SLOVENIAN 8
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.siol.net/Doc/Img/10041040608081738440-2-0-3-1.jpg

1Parker1
08-08-2006, 03:54 PM
no reason to care
Nuggets are going nowhere
why cant you see that?

:lmao Haiku screenname.

Spurologist
08-08-2006, 04:19 PM
:lmao Haiku screenname.

:lol

got the rhythm down too. 5-7-5

CubanMustGo
08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
:lol

got the rhythm down too. 5-7-5

Haiku it is not
without the proper cadence
Is not hard to do

CubanMustGo
08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
But Haiku's haikus ARE better than mine! :lol

Nocioni
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
BOXSCORE USA 90 BRAZIL 86 (http://usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_exhibition_box3.html)

Spurologist
08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Haiku it is not
without the proper cadence
Is not hard to do

http://www.zymetrical.com/images/products/partypooper.jpg

Mavs_man_41
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
This shit worries me, are we really supposed to squeak by Brazil because of the absence of 1 player? You would think we would have enough talent to fill in for Carmelo.

Kori Ellis
08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
The game was close because Bowen didn't play :angel

Seriously though, USA shot like crap. If you take out Carmelo's 6-for-11 then they shot 37% for the game.

Also they got outrebounded by 16.

E20
08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Damn, the refs helped the US big in this one.

Streakyshooter08
08-08-2006, 05:02 PM

Does somebody know why he did not play?

Behrooz24
08-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Maybe it's a hint, snip snip
:depressed

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I seriously think that they wouldv'e won by more if they put Bowen on ANYBODY. Giovannoni, Machado, Dos Santos, Barbosa, even Garcia! Someone!

mabber
08-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Cuz he's old and coach K doesn't see the need to play him much (if at all) in exhibition game. I think it's a good sign in regards to him making the team.

Spurologist
08-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Anderson Varejao = closest thing to another Rodman

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-08-2006, 07:23 PM
People need to get used to the idea of Bowen getting cut, but I still see this place going postal when it happens.

It's obvious that Coach K likes his little pissant Dukie Battier more, and will keep him as the 'defensive stopper', which is a joke, but I digress...

orhe
08-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Varejao 16 Rebounds...
USA frontcourt (Brand, Miller, Howard, Bosh, Jamison) 16 rebounds

that guy is crazy

PaceMonster
08-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Wade was in foul trouble the whole game....he played 10 minutes with 4 fouls and finally got fouled out with 4 points

Mavs_man_41
08-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Sad day for US basketball. If we barely squeek by Brazil then i don't think we will beat Argentina or Lithuania. Then again, hopefully it was just a bad game and im overreacting.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-09-2006, 03:47 AM
If it was up to me, Arenas, and Jamison would be cut... Bowen would make it this year, but when the Olympics come around his spot goes to Kobe.

dimsah
08-09-2006, 05:52 AM
If it was up to me, Arenas, and Jamison would be cut... Bowen would make it this year, but when the Olympics come around his spot goes to Kobe.
I don't think anyone expects Bowen to be on the Olympic sqaud because by that time he'll be 38, but that's one reason we want him on the WC roster because he probably will not get another chance.

mabber
08-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Wade was in foul trouble the whole game....he played 10 minutes with 4 fouls and finally got fouled out with 4 points

Wade didn't get all the calls?!?!?!?!?!?!!??! The int'l refs must not have received the memo. :lol

cheguevara
08-09-2006, 09:40 AM

Seriously though, USA shot like crap. If you take out Carmelo's 6-for-11 then they shot 37% for the game.

Also they got outrebounded by 16.

USA shot like crap in the olympics too. and look what happened.

And its NOT a good sign for Bowen that he didn't step foot on the court in such a close game. not a good sign

1Parker1
08-09-2006, 09:49 AM

There are a lot of players who still have a shot for the Olympics aside from Kobe: Odom, Billups, Pierce, etc.

furry_spurry
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
USA plays small front court-- USA gets outrebounded-- sound familiar??

DarkReign
08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
USA plays small front court-- USA gets outrebounded-- sound familiar??

Ummm....

FUCK SMALL BALL!

...or something like that?