PDA

View Full Version : Brown up and down in Spurs' OT loss/Tony contract info

Kori Ellis
10-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Brown up and down in Spurs' OT loss
Web Posted: 10/22/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102204.5C.BKNspurs.notebook.1051ddac.html

Devin Brown had 17 points and nine rebounds, but couldn't keep the Spurs from suffering their third-straight preseason loss Thursday night at the SBC Center.

Philadelphia held on for a 97-95 overtime victory after Brown drove into traffic and lost the ball on the Spurs' final possession. Brown gave the Spurs a chance to win when he hit a 3-pointer with 31.9 seconds left to cut the 76ers' lead to 96-95.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Manu Ginobili and Malik Rose the night off, allowing Brent Barry to start at shooting guard.

Barry missed 10 of 12 shots, including six of his seven 3-point attempts. Brown missed 8 of 12 shots after halftime.

"I didn't mind Brent missing shots," Popovich said. "But he talked to Devin Brown about shooting at halftime and then Devin couldn't make shots.

"It's sort of like having a disease that's spread: You have to find the source. So I had to tell Brent not to talk to any of our players about shooting. Ever."

Parker negotiations: Tony Parker said his contract extension talks with the Spurs have progressed this week.

"I'm very confident we can get something done," Parker said. "Hopefully in the next three or four days."

One source with knowledge of the talks cautioned that the two sides still have sizeable obstacles to overcome.

On second thought: Popovich said he's still learning how to deal with a roster loaded with international players.

"On the first day of camp, I had this neat idea of taking everyone to get registered to vote," Popovich said. "Then someone told me, 'Pop, only about five of the guys can do it.'"

Popovich also has rearranged the team's lockers so all of the English-challenged international players can see his lips when he speaks at halftime.

timvp
10-22-2004, 01:15 AM
"I'm very confident we can get something done," Parker said. "Hopefully in the next three or four days."

One source with knowledge of the talks cautioned that the two sides still have sizeable obstacles to overcome.

In other words ... Parker was trying to be positive and then Ludden asked Buford and Buford didn't want it to come out like it was close to getting done.

T Park
10-22-2004, 01:53 AM
Like Ive said the last couple months with the Cardinals and Edgar Renteria, Ill say it with the Spurs and Tony Parker.

GIVE THE MAN HIS 10 MILLION ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timvp
10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
The longer the talks drag out, the better chance there is that they get something done. I'm glad Pop moved off of his hard ass stance and is letting RC and Tony's agent get this handled.

Another good sign ... Tony's agent is also Kirilenko's agent and has gone to the media numerous times to say how far off the talks are with the Jazz. We haven't heard a word about the Spurs.

:hat

T Park
10-22-2004, 03:29 PM
I think, cause he knows better than to play that game with the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
10-22-2004, 03:41 PM
What "game"? The one where you take a lower offer for your client now than you could get next summer?

devinbrowns_gurl
10-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Mann Yall Need To Stop Hating On Devin Brown Mann Hes Good .