PDA

View Full Version : Penguins die in crash, octopus uninjured (in SA)

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Penguins corralled on Texas highway

Four others, exotic fish killed when zoo transport overturns

Tuesday, August 8, 2006; Posted: 7:25 p.m. EDT (23:25 GMT)

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Twenty-one penguins were rescued on a hot east Texas highway Tuesday after a truck carrying the wildlife to a temporary home south of Houston overturned, said a state trooper.

Four penguins and some exotic fish were killed in the accident, including three penguins that were hit by passing motorists, said Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Richard Buchanan.

"The rest of the penguins kind of stayed together in the ditch," he said.

The truck, also carrying an octopus that was uninjured, was bound for Moody Gardens, a tourist destination in Galveston, an hour south of Houston, a resort spokeswoman said.

The wildlife was being transported to Texas from the Indianapolis Zoo while that zoo's ocean exhibit is being remodeled, said Jerri Hamacheck of Moody Gardens.

The trooper said it was the oddest traffic accident he had ever handled.

"We've worked several wrecks involving cows, horses, pigs, even fish, but this is the first where the live animals were penguins."

Buchanan said he was glad the accident was not worse.

"There was another truck full of snakes and alligators that was an hour ahead of them, so luckily we didn't have to deal with the alligators," Buchanan said.

The first truck arrived safely in Galveston by late afternoon, Hamacheck said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/08/texas.penguins.reut/index.html

(http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/08/texas.penguins.reut/index.html)

Kori Ellis
08-08-2006, 06:47 PM
:(

RIP :guin :guin :guin :guin

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I wonder if they will put up a memorial at the crash site?? Maybe that is what the family members were planning in the ditch.

ORION
08-08-2006, 06:56 PM
butta !!! lets ball sunday !

ShoogarBear
08-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Houston in August? The penguins that survived probably thought they were in hell.

As for the octopus, well, sometimes it helps to be a nonverterbrate.

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
butta !!! lets ball sunday !Yeah lets, where you wanna hoop?

ORION
08-08-2006, 08:05 PM
lets just show up at ward on sunday. I'll find the ph# tomorrow and make sure it will be open and no one will have it rented out. I might be able to bring one or two people. I bet Jcrod could go. I'll call Batman tomorrow and ask if he can go sunday

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
lets just show up at ward on sunday. I'll find the ph# tomorrow and make sure it will be open and no one will have it rented out. I might be able to bring one or two people. I bet Jcrod could go. I'll call Batman tomorrow and ask if he can go sundaySounds like a plan, what time?

ORION
08-08-2006, 08:14 PM
We could do after 12pm but let me call them tomorrow and check if its cool. I'll post something in that basketball GTG even though no one except me and you look at it

ShoogarBear
08-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Guys, have some respect for the dead penguins, please.

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Guys, have some respect for the dead penguins, please.We will be holding a service prior to the game to remember those lost.

ORION
08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I always say grace before I carve a penguin

sa_butta
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I always say grace before I carve a penguinTastes like chicken.

Squid
08-08-2006, 10:28 PM
sometimes it helps to be a nonverterbrate.

You got that right.

Marius Titulescu
09-06-2019, 04:26 AM
May their wings not fly them to a better place :D

LaMarcus Bryant
09-06-2019, 10:20 AM
butta, orion, and midge lol

guitar dude was still planning his real estate empire from the depth of his dad's balls when this thread was made

Millennial_Messiah
09-08-2019, 12:42 AM
butta, orion, and midge lol

guitar dude was still planning his real estate empire from the depth of his dad's balls when this thread was made

wtf? I was born in 1994