PDA

View Full Version : what is the deal with wells

ducks
08-09-2006, 03:21 PM
is he waiting tell the spurs can package e williams and filler for him?

ChumpDumper
08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
No, he's waiting for someone to offer him as much of the MLE as he could get.

MoSpur
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Which teams have the MLE left?

BALLZ & MY WORD
08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I know this guy is a malcontent and in the past caused problems in the locker room. With that said I'd love to see him in a Spurs uniform. The guy can flat out ball, and a class organization like the Spurs could be the environment to right the ship.

El_Mago
08-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Whoever lands Bonzi now should be getting himself a player with a chip on his shoulder....I'm sure he's not pleased with still not getting a deal done, and will come out determined to show he was worth it....especially in a winning environment.

I don't think he'll become an all-star, but I don't think he'll sit on that new contract either.

Bruno
08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I think that teams are waiting to see where Al Harrington will go before going after Bonzi.

Brutalis
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Word from the street is he is still on the can cause of that crab he ate last night.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/jerry/jerry_seinfeld013.jpg

I know! Is he going to sign with Sacramento, will they sign and trade? I'm not even sure he knows what he's going to do. WHAT'S THE DEAL?

NBA Junkie
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Which teams have the MLE left?

Cleveland, Denver, Golden State, Indiana, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Portland, Utah.

Most of these teams will probably not use the MLE since they're at or over the luxury tax.

Wells might have to settle for the MLE from one of these teams if a sign-and-trade can't be worked out.

Teams that are under the cap don't get the MLE. It would be funny if he winds up in Charlotte (not likely) since they're well under the cap and need to spend about $9 million to reach the minimum salary cap number.

venitian navigator
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't think a team growing up like charlotte will ever take the risk of a potential "bad attitude" guy like wells has proved to be in the past...(Harrington could be better for them, but they're already plenty of any kind of forwards).
Charlotte could, instead, possibly work like a third team in a sign and trade deal...if they really need some expiring contracts for joining the minimum of salary

(ex. Bonzi to S.A.; Barry to Sac.; E. Will to Charlotte. I don't know if it works for league rules, but sounds nice to me...).

ChumpDumper
08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I doubt Sacramento wants to take on any more salary at this point. They're pretty close to the tax threshold, so the deal would have to involve more players on their end.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-09-2006, 05:36 PM
How much money is Wells asking for?

ChumpDumper
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Where's Bonzi?

Has Bonzi Wells found a new team yet?

Feel free to e-mail in and let me know. I’ve been burning a bit of vacation time, but didn’t get any news releases or calls to that effect. Last I heard, Wells and his agent, William Phillips, had - according to one Western Conference general manager - hit the free agency period looking for a $10 million annual salary and a five-year deal, this for an almost 30-year-old who missed 30 games to injury last season and is only one year removed from a time when character issues still surrounded his name.

Hmmm. Wonder what’s taking so long?

As was the case when negotiations began on July 1, the only way Wells is going to find any sort of big payday is through a sign-and-trade, which Phillips insists is still a possibility. But on numerous occasions, Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie has indicated that he’ll only do so if he receives someone to make a significant difference. Or maybe not. Maybe the Kings would play hardball in not offering Wells the money he wanted, then bring aboard mediocre talent just to push them over the luxury tax threshold of which they’re not too far from now. I’m picking the former.

According to numerous agents and league sources, the Wells camp inaccurately gauged his worth on the current market and may have felt entitled because of other deals done (see Peja Stojakovic, Wells’ former teammate, signing for five years and $64 million with New Orleans). Perhaps, as the Rocky Mountain News has suggested, he’ll take a one-year contract at the $3 million-per-year range with the Denver Nuggets to, essentially, delay his free agency and try again next offseason.

- Sam Amick

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/003585.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm not really good at this but I'm gonna try. In a 3-way trade:

Warriors Receive:
Corliss Williamson
Beno Udrih

Spurs Receive:
Bonzi Wells
Keith McLeod

Kings Receive:
Adonal Foyle
Eric Williams
Brent Barry

Is this good?

ducks
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
they only thing is would the kings want to pay the tax?
they say they will not
the only way I see the sign and trade for wells is if spurs trade jav or maybe scola to the kings

RogerIsEatingASandwich
08-09-2006, 06:36 PM
pipe dream. wells wants to get paid.

AFBlue
08-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm not really good at this but I'm gonna try. In a 3-way trade:

Warriors Receive:
Corliss Williamson
Beno Udrih

Spurs Receive:
Bonzi Wells
Keith McLeod

Kings Receive:
Adonal Foyle
Eric Williams
Brent Barry

Is this good?

Good for Spurs, Great for Warriors, Horrible for Kings. The Spurs would get back a talented, but expensive power guard. The warriors would get insurance for D-Fish leaving town and Ellis getting hurt. BUT, the Kings wouldn't likely take on Foyle's ENORMOUSLY bloated contract, and Brent Barry's talents (sg who can handle) are already duplicated in Sac (Martin, Garcia).

So all in all, I doubt it because I would think the Kings would rather let him walk than take on three $5+ million contracts, even if one of them expires this year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-09-2006, 06:49 PM
He's not the solution for us anyway.

1. what position will he play? Is he going to start, because he certainly won't want to come off the bench.

2. he's 30. Don't wwe want some athletic youth at the 3?

3. he played one great playoff series in a contract year and now everyone is on his jock. Um, we've seen this before about 100000000 times, and usually the player slacks off the moment he gets the contract.

Seriously, get over it, just because he handed us our heads last year doesn't mean we need him.

ducks
08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
pipe dream. wells wants to get paid.

who is going to pay him
kings do not want to do a sign and trade

RogerIsEatingASandwich
08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
who is going to pay him
kings do not want to do a sign and trade

all i'm saying is I highly doubt he's coming here. it would be nice to find somebody younger anyways

ducks
08-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I doubt he is coming either but people need to realize that he 99.5 % is not going to get paid like he wants

Spurologist
08-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I doubt he is coming either but people need to realize that he 99.5 % is not going to get paid like he wants

hmmmmm......exactly

Knoxville Spur
08-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Barry or E Williams + rights to Scola or Jocktopus (not both) for Wells?

I don't see Wells getting more than $5 million per. He just doesn't seem to fit with any team that can afford to pay him more than that. The luxury tax has been a huge factor this offseason!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Good for Spurs, Great for Warriors, Horrible for Kings. The Spurs would get back a talented, but expensive power guard. The warriors would get insurance for D-Fish leaving town and Ellis getting hurt. BUT, the Kings wouldn't likely take on Foyle's ENORMOUSLY bloated contract, and Brent Barry's talents (sg who can handle) are already duplicated in Sac (Martin, Garcia).

So all in all, I doubt it because I would think the Kings would rather let him walk than take on three $5+ million contracts, even if one of them expires this year.
How about adding Scola's rights to the Kings?

Mr. Body
08-09-2006, 09:44 PM
If anything it would have to be Barry + Scola for Bonzi. Bonzi gets around 5M/yr. for something like 3 years. Sacramento gets Scola for their troubles for going over their cap.

I'm not sure it's worth it.

conqueso
08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I like a lot of the things that have been said. You don't know what role he would fill on the team, you don't know how much money he'd want, you don't know what it would take to get him, but here's the thing:

I think that Bonzi is a player just like Stephen Jackson. When put in a more, um, "unstructured" environment, he's quick to fly off the handle and do stupid shit. But I think if you put him on a team with a strong coach, a pre-existing system, a cadre of teammates that enjoyed playing to Pop's standards, and legitimate title hopes, he could control himself. Just like Stephen Jackson. You put him with thugs, he turns into a thug. You put him with players, he turns into a player. When this guy is motivated, he BALLS. His stats in the first round against the Spurs were gaudy. Against the SPURS!!! 23 and 12...from a fucking shooting guard!!! He can't pass or shoot the three, but he can still play good hard basketball.

It's unrealistic that he will be a Spur. But I don't think it would be a bad thing if it did happen.

50 cent
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2440/signaturenb9.gif

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Edgar Ray Killen.
08-09-2006, 10:35 PM
im not surprised Bonzi is causing problems

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-09-2006, 11:17 PM
1. what position will he play? Is he going to start, because he certainly won't want to come off the bench.

2. he's 30.

Once again, exactly what position is he going to play??? He is not going to be happy on the bench, which means he will become cancerous, so you have to start him. Bowen becomes our 6th man?

Also sounds like he wants a long (4+) year contract. Do we want to be paying him in 3 years when he's 34 and massively declining?

He just doesn't fit here.

He can ball when he decides to though, I'm not questioning that!

SequSpur
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Wells > Bowen.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-10-2006, 10:01 AM
His offence, sure, his overall impact on the team winning, NO WAY. Bowen has been integral to two championships, Wells has hung 23/12 on us in a first round series. Whoopee! :rolleyes