PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the humanity of it all......

Ocotillo
08-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I caught part of the opening monologue from bombthrower Sean Hannity's radio show today and it was all about poor, independent Joe Lieberman, the last "good" Democrat out there finally was run out of the party by throw-back anti-war hippies that have siezed control of the Democratic party. Sean ever eager to offer his unsolicted advice to Democrats said this was proof positive that there was no room for differing positions within the Democratic party and that they had dug their own grave by tossing aside an 18 year veteran of the U.S. Senate in the primary.

In his rant against Democrats, Sean tagged the Dems as intolerant of varying points of view and how this would damage the party. What I found puzzling was Sean's concern for the party he opposes. Since he is a proud Republican conservative and is so concerned with politcal parties embracing the big tent theory maybe his air time would be better served traveling east just one state over and looking at the Republican primary there in Rhode Island.

Incumbent Senator Lincoln Chafee, long regarded as one of the more moderate Republicans is under attack from the right by Cranston Mayor Steve Laffey. A recent Rasmussen poll (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/August%202006/rhodeIslandSenate.htm) finds Chafee in a tough race against a Democrat should he get his party's nomination. Laffey would fare even worse if he won the Republican nomination. Wouldn't Sean's opinion be less hypocritical if he were braying his support for the incumbent Republican in Rhode Island?

Laffey is considered to have a shot at upsetting Chafee in the primary. If that should happen, could we expect to hear Hannity decrying the seizure of control of his party by right wing idealogues?

I don't think so either.

Hannity and his ilk see an opportunity to hold ground in Ct. He and the right wing noise machine will kick into high gear supporting Judas Lieberman as they can always count on Joe to come through and criticize the Dems giving their nefarious schemes the masquerade of bi-partisanship.

Plain and simple, Joe Lieberman has been a bigger asset to the Republican party than Lincoln Chafee has.

101A
08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I think more is being made of the "anti-war ferver" than there actually is. VERY pro-war Lieberman lost by only 4 points in a democrats-only primary (with not great turn-out). He'll win as an independent.

Ocotillo
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I would say at this stage he is the favorite in the general election should he stay as an independent. There is a lot of time between now and November though.

The race was close because despite Lieberman's negatives with Dems (pro-Bush, pro-Iraq war, cozy relationship with fringe conservatives, etc....) there were a lot of reasons to support him in the primary as well. He was an incumbent with 18 years seniority in the Senate and a former VP candidate for the party. He has brought home the bacon to the state with Federal spending. He had the endorsement of fellow Senator Chris Dodd, Bill Clinton campaigned for him, heck even Barbara Boxer personally campaigned for him.

Lieberman automatically loses a significant portion of the Dems that voted for him in the primary by deserting the party. In the general election, the Repubs will vote for Lieberman, the Dems will support Lamont and whoever wins the independents, will win the general election. Lieberman has to be tied to Bush and the independents will support Lamont. If they buy into the idea that Lieberman is independent of Bush, he has a chance.

boutons_
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
"I think more is being made of the "anti-war ferver" than there actually is"

dubya won in 2000 and 2004 with less or equal difference, and then governed, er behaved, with fervor, as if he had a mandate to govern as a far-right radical.

boutons_
08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
If you want real anti-war fervor, start conscription again, then you'll see real fervent conscriptable age demonstrators, as there was in the VN war.

ObiwanGinobili
08-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I got $$$ on Lieberman being re-elected.

book it.