PDA

View Full Version : Total National Championships

johngateswhiteley
08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
...by school, division I. this excludes football, for which, you can add another 11.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html

USC fan: "well, the pac-10 is well represented here and as you can see the USC men are doing pretty well all-time."

t.u. fan: "but vy..."

USC fan: "i am sorry son, i cannot hear you....i am too busy counting to 73."

t.u. fan: "but we have 6 baseball national titles."

USC fan: "hmm, thats nice...we have 12."

Mr Dio
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Nice, but how faaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr back are you going?
Sorta cheapens a person's argument the further back into ancient history they have to go.

johngateswhiteley
08-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorta cheapens a person's argument the further back into ancient history they have to go.

what? you have got to be the single dumbest poster i have ever met. but, just for fun:

1. USC founded in 1880
2. t.u. founded in 1883

...i'll give you those three years back to go from 21 (including football) total mens championships to USCs total of 84 (including football). are you ready? ......GO.

USC fan: "thats four times the championships you guys have."

t.u. fan: "but vy.."

USC fan: "good luck."

Mr Dio
08-09-2006, 06:22 PM
what? you have got to be the single dumbest poster i have ever met. but, just for fun:

(Do want to stay on subject? It is your thread dumbass. I can easily hijack your feeble attempt at a thread. :lol )

BTW, do you claim SC or anm?
Just asking because you look like a moron trying to go from one dick to the other. :lol

Holmes_Fans
08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
He claims SC, because a&m blows right now.

He probably is one of those aggys who think Stephen McGee will save their football program.

Mr Dio
08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
He claims SC, because a&m blows right now.

He probably is one of those aggys who think Stephen McGee will save their football program.

What a moron! :lol
Why doesn't she have a true team? Must suck to not have a spine. :lol
================================================== ======
UT fan: "So I have supported my team for over 30yrs & haven't jumped ship like a silly faggot. What team do you support?"

Flip-Flopper: "Oh well, I went to 24 different schools & I have no spine or ball sack so I just jump on the the best dick around"

LaMarcus Bryant
08-09-2006, 06:35 PM
it is official, this neocon is a troll just trying to laugh at our responses

its quite funny, because he's too aggie to be a trojan and too trojan to be an aggie

MissAllThat
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM

1. USC founded in 1880
2. t.u. founded in 1883

...i'll give you those three years back to go from 21 (including football) total mens championships to USCs total of 84 (including football). are you ready? ......GO.

USC fan: "thats four times the championships you guys have."

t.u. fan: "but vy.."

USC fan: "good luck."

I have to add on:

UCLA fan: "I seriously wish those USC fans would STFU already and get out of my city."

And btw, what UT fans are these that are always saying "but vy?" Are they your fellow aggie morons who secretly are in love with the University of Texas and all that it encompasses? Or are these just the voices in your head that you have named as fans of different colleges to justify the fact that you talk to yourself?

gtownspur
08-09-2006, 07:27 PM
I have to add on:

UCLA fan: "I seriously wish those USC fans would STFU already and get out of my city."

And btw, what UT fans are these that are always saying "but vy?" Are they your fellow aggie morons who secretly are in love with the University of Texas and all that it encompasses? Or are these just the voices in your head that you have named as fans of different colleges to justify the fact that you talk to yourself?

Since you admitted to skimming through the other threads and not actually reading the replies, half of the UT posters have made it a VY issue.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
not me..

gtownspur
08-09-2006, 07:30 PM
it is official, this neocon is a troll just trying to laugh at our responses

its quite funny, because he's too aggie to be a trojan and too trojan to be an aggie

Maybe he's a poster who went to both schools and has connections and loyalties to both programs and you just attend UT of Arlington and you're to Arlington to be UT and too UT to be Arlington.

But that is the essence of your stupid post.

Why the need to bag on other teams, and schools? You actually have good to decent football knowledge to stoop to that level.

Holmes_Fans
08-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I can't remember the last time I mentioned VY.

MissAllThat
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Since you admitted to skimming through the other threads and not actually reading the replies, half of the UT posters have made it a VY issue.

I usually read threads, but I've been gone for way too long to have enough time to play catch up. You know some of us actually have real lives with real face to face interactions. That is what I thought this poster was referring to with the quotes and all. Actual conversations had in person. I guess not. And yes people might mention VY. He was good. You can't deny that, even if you are a complete homer of another team. He really was that good. It might hurt when we mention him because of the demolition he did to other teams, but it happened. Its a fact. Get over it. However, I have yet to see where any poster's sole response is "but VY." Maybe those are the only 2 things you can read, but hey thats not my fault. Try going to school or maybe Hooked On Phonics.

gtownspur
08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I usually read threads, but I've been gone for way too long to have enough time to play catch up. You know some of us actually have real lives with real face to face interactions. That is what I thought this poster was referring to with the quotes and all. Actual conversations had in person. I guess not. And yes people might mention VY. He was good. You can't deny that, even if you are a complete homer of another team. He really was that good. It might hurt when we mention him because of the demolition he did to other teams, but it happened. Its a fact. Get over it. However, I have yet to see where any poster's sole response is "but VY." Maybe those are the only 2 things you can read, but hey thats not my fault. Try going to school or maybe Hooked On Phonics.

And you knew this because of your lack of reading any of the material.

I'm still wondering why you leveled the charge that some of us think UT sucks, and that VY sucks when I and other Non Ut people have given VY his respect?

johngateswhiteley
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM

And you knew this because of your lack of reading any of the material.

I'm still wondering why you leveled the charge that some of us think UT sucks, and that VY sucks when I and other Non Ut people have given VY his respect?

damn, i was just about to jump on that. your too quick gtownspur.

mookie2001
08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
johngates' aggys havent beaten texas this century, and usc (the greatest team of alltime), got chodebloaded (by definition) in the rosebowl --I don't know what else to say.

wait i do.... also the heisman winner, when his team was leading threw a forward lateral to a white freshman walk-on WR with zero career catches

and aggys big 05 victory was a moral one, when they only lost by 11 at home to the horns

johngateswhiteley
08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
johngates' aggys havent beaten texas this century, and usc (the greatest team alltime), got chodebloaded (by definition) in the rosebowl --I don't know what else to say. wait i do.... also the heisman winner, when his team was leading threw a forward lateral to a white freshman walk-on WR with zero career catches

and aggys big 05 victory was a moral one, when they only lost by 11 at home to the horns

1. what does this have to do with the thread?
2. yeah, A&M has been struggling lately, and?
3. do you admit USC played sloppy in the first quarter then? as well as the fourth?

gtownspur
08-09-2006, 09:49 PM
johngates' aggys havent beaten texas this century, and usc (the greatest team alltime), got chodebloaded (by definition) in the rosebowl --I don't know what else to say.

wait i do.... also the heisman winner, when his team was leading threw a forward lateral to a white freshman walk-on WR with zero career catches

Yes Vince Young was great, now go to bed. You don't want to miss the shortbuss next morning.

mookie2001
08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Vince Young was great hyeah

gtownspur
08-09-2006, 09:57 PM
hyeah

:lol Your a trip mookie. THat's cool.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-09-2006, 10:13 PM
3. do you admit USC played sloppy in the first quarter then? as well as the fourth?

In response to your #3....

Dude if you are seriously trying to tell us that just because "USC played sloppy" they "lost" the "national championship" then okay dude.

That is an incredibly weak argument though, like 3rd grade worthy. Then again you did go to a&m. Seems to me like you could say Texas' fumble after USC went 3 and out was sloppy, as well as our 2 blown interceptions by our defensive backs.....if you were not trying to suggest that USC lost bc they played "sloppy" then ignore this. But if you were, that is a ridiculously weak argument.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-09-2006, 10:14 PM

This phrase will never get old, I will be 77 years old, wake up at the God Hour, and hear this phrase--I will laugh. I will laugh hard. Because the dude was a white freshman walk on with zero career catches.

L

O

L.

MissAllThat
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
This phrase will never get old, I will be 77 years old, wake up at the God Hour, and hear this phrase--I will laugh. I will laugh hard. Because the dude was a white freshman walk on with zero career catches.

L

O

L.

I have to agree with that one.

MissAllThat
08-09-2006, 10:28 PM

Are you john's mom or what? Do you have to participate in all arguments for him? Anyway, I didn't say that you and others weren't giving VY his respect. I don't care if you respect him. I'm just saying don't complain if people bring him up in an argument. I know that everyone in the country wished they had him on their team. Its as simple as that. I'm sorry you didn't and we did, but hey thats life. As a Spurs fan I'm sure you bring up Tim Duncan when arguing. He's the mvp of the team. That's all it is. Its part of the argument. Just like Laker fans bring up Kobe and Phil. UT fans will continue to bring up VY until the day they die. Get over it. Don't act like that's all they say. I'm sure when you argue about why the Spurs are good you bring up other factors, but what if I sat here and said "but Tim Duncan?" Thats likely not all you'd have said, but I guess that would be all my ignorant mind could process. It's a pretty easy cop out to take when you can't come up with a response I suppose, but don't act like VY is the only thing Texas fans are bringing to the table. Either put up or shut up, and in your case I'd suggest the latter.

johngateswhiteley
08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Are you john's mom or what? Do you have to participate in all arguments for him? Anyway, I didn't say that you and others weren't giving VY his respect. I don't care if you respect him. I'm just saying don't complain if people bring him up in an argument. I know that everyone in the country wished they had him on their team. Its as simple as that. I'm sorry you didn't and we did, but hey thats life. As a Spurs fan I'm sure you bring up Tim Duncan when arguing. He's the mvp of the team. That's all it is. Its part of the argument. Just like Laker fans bring up Kobe and Phil. UT fans will continue to bring up VY until the day they die. Get over it. Don't act like that's all they say. I'm sure when you argue about why the Spurs are good you bring up other factors, but what if I sat here and said "but Tim Duncan?" Thats likely not all you'd have said, but I guess that would be all my ignorant mind could process. It's a pretty easy cop out to take when you can't come up with a response I suppose, but don't act like VY is the only thing Texas fans are bringing to the table. Either put up or shut up, and in your case I'd suggest the latter.

1. he's not
2. your missing the entire point

Mr Dio
08-10-2006, 12:16 AM

As have you, stop crying.

Mr Dio
08-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Are you john's mom or what? Do you have to participate in all arguments for him? Get over it. Either put up or shut up, and in your case I'd suggest the latter.

:lmao

:owned

gtownspur
08-10-2006, 02:20 AM

Look Missie, it seems like it was you who came to do Momma Bears job for cubie Dio and Holmes.

It's fine if they bring up VY for every argument. He's awesome. Just pointing it out that it's pathetic when the subject is thisyear. You don't have to step in for these fans honor. Like you said earlier, You didn't read the material or had any interest and therefore your mind was set.

Geez why don't okla fan's invoke Whites name when ever they feel insecure about their team?

Why don't SC fans bring up OJ Simpson at every turn?

Is their a pattern of stupidity here? Ofcourse and you look like the dumb broad sticking up for your buddies. Because last time i looke this is the College Sports Forum not the Longhorn Circle Jerk forum. And besides, wasn't it you who just bitched about the media and everyone else not crowning the longhorns?

If you can't stand people not rooting for the Longhorns, go start your own forum and devote your time there. :lol

For claiming you have better things to do, you sure are starting to hang out on this thread.

johngateswhiteley
08-10-2006, 04:16 AM
It's fine if they bring up VY for every argument. He's awesome. Just pointing it out that it's pathetic when the subject is thisyear.

...not even just this year, but off-topic as well.

MajorMike
08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Let's just remember who the most decorated Athletics Program in the B12 is.

UCLA: 99
Stanford: 92
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40
Texas: 39
Michigan: 32
North Carolina: 31
Penn State: 30

degenerate_gambler
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM

gee....i can't imagine why.

Mr Dio
08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
...not even just this year, but off-topic as well.

Cat fight!!! :lol

Mr Dio
08-10-2006, 02:13 PM
It's fine if they bring up VY for every argument. He's awesome. Just pointing it out that it's pathetic when the subject is thisyear.
And you ALWAYS stay on topic huh? Few things worse than a closet hypocrite. :lol

I don't know, but I'm suprised you're not sucking his dick in this thread.

Is their a pattern of stupidity here?
Yes there is, every time you & Cock Smoke, errr, I mean JonGayWhiney jerk each other off & post moronic comments.

If you can't stand people not rooting for the Longhorns, go start your own forum and devote your time there
Actually, if you left that would be much more enjoyable. You obviously own the world & the internet huh? :lol

For claiming you have better things to do, you sure are starting to hang out on this thread.
And yet here you are ASS well.

Holmes_Fans
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
And you are helping 0%

Brutalis
08-10-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.collegeshade.com/images_products/10115_small.jpg = 43

Mr Dio
08-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Funny how a fake Trojan is trying to claim some kinda head-to-head record vs UT but cries about the 2006 Rose Bowl being brought up.
As I recall that was indeed head-to-head & who won?
Who? :lol

gtownspur
08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Funny how a fake Trojan is trying to claim some kinda head-to-head record vs UT but cries about the 2006 Rose Bowl being brought up.
As I recall that was indeed head-to-head & who won?

Well congrats for beating USC last year.

Hopefully that will give you confidence about the horns taking it this year because of last year. Never mind that a good chunk of the players are gone and that pointing that out is just being real, and not being a crybaby.

Look, don't get defensive because we bring up your fallacies(spelled with an F, not a ph, i can see your mouth already drooling over reading this sentence).

I mean, if you would stop about the rosebowl you'd be left to 5th grade level putdowns and asking MissAllThat to tuck you in at night and make you feel better because Gtown is making you all butthurt by pointing out your idiocy.

Mr Dio
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I mean, if you would stop.. :blah ..MissAllThat... :blah .....

Wow! She really got under your skin huh girl? :lol

....make you feel better because GayTown is making you all butthurt by pointing out your idiocy.

You've done quite well in showing us idiocy. It's your own Gaytown. :lol

MissAllThat
08-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Look Missie, it seems like it was you who came to do Momma Bears job for cubie Dio and Holmes.

It's fine if they bring up VY for every argument. He's awesome. Just pointing it out that it's pathetic when the subject is thisyear. You don't have to step in for these fans honor. Like you said earlier, You didn't read the material or had any interest and therefore your mind was set.

Geez why don't okla fan's invoke Whites name when ever they feel insecure about their team?

Is their a pattern of stupidity here? Ofcourse and you look like the dumb broad sticking up for your buddies. Because last time i looke this is the College Sports Forum not the Longhorn Circle Jerk forum. And besides, wasn't it you who just bitched about the media and everyone else not crowning the longhorns?

If you can't stand people not rooting for the Longhorns, go start your own forum and devote your time there. :lol

I'm not quite sure how the subject can be this year when the topic is "total national championships." If it were in fact this year, then we'd all be equal, from USC to Texas to Harvard and UCF, because we'd all have 0 at the moment. However I'm pretty sure the first post in this thread digs down deep into the past bringing up those national championships from the PAST, and I'm pretty positive that the first person in this thread to mention Vince Young was none other than johngateswhiteley. In fact he was also the 2nd to mention VY and then I asked who all these UT fans were that he talked to who only said "but VY." Then you jumped into the argument answering for your buddy. Funny, because nobody was talking to you or asking for your opinion. I'm coming in and supporting my school. I could care less about the argument's of other posters on here. I don't feel the need to jump into every argument a UT fan is having with another opposing team's fan. If they're getting embarrassed then so be it. I have an interest in these arguments. I like the University of Texas. I actually attend the University of Texas. I was at the Rose Bowl and several other games for that matter (probably more than most Texas fans"). The reason I skimmed over 1 thread (Count it 1, not several, not many, not 2, just 1. I know counting might be a hard thing for such a feeble mind to grasp, but humor me.) was because I got into nothing but personal attacks/arguments and unlike you I don't feel the need to respond to things that do not involve me. I actually come in here quite a bit and post about Texas (and other colleges), giving the guys info if I have any (like Ramonce, if you missed it is transferring, hasn't decided to where yet, but he's narrowed it down). My Texas info for the past couple months has kind of sucked, but I haven't been in Austin or even on the continental US for a while. Like I said, I have a life. I can't sit here on my computer 24/7 inserting myself into every argument possible.

johngateswhiteley
08-11-2006, 01:05 AM

not that it matter, cause USC won them and the when is irrelevant. but they are fairly recent:

1. 1928
2. 1931
3. 1932
4. 1939
5. 1962
6. 1967
7. 1972
8. 1974
9. 1978
10. 2003
11. 2004
12. 2006?
13. 2007?
14. 2008?

(can we get the threepeat after all?)

gtownspur
08-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm not quite sure how the subject can be this year when the topic is "total national championships." If it were in fact this year, then we'd all be equal, from USC to Texas to Harvard and UCF, because we'd all have 0 at the moment. However I'm pretty sure the first post in this thread digs down deep into the past bringing up those national championships from the PAST, and I'm pretty positive that the first person in this thread to mention Vince Young was none other than johngateswhiteley. In fact he was also the 2nd to mention VY and then I asked who all these UT fans were that he talked to who only said "but VY." Then you jumped into the argument answering for your buddy. Funny, because nobody was talking to you or asking for your opinion. I'm coming in and supporting my school. I could care less about the argument's of other posters on here. I don't feel the need to jump into every argument a UT fan is having with another opposing team's fan. If they're getting embarrassed then so be it. I have an interest in these arguments. I like the University of Texas. I actually attend the University of Texas. I was at the Rose Bowl and several other games for that matter (probably more than most Texas fans"). The reason I skimmed over 1 thread (Count it 1, not several, not many, not 2, just 1. I know counting might be a hard thing for such a feeble mind to grasp, but humor me.) was because I got into nothing but personal attacks/arguments and unlike you I don't feel the need to respond to things that do not involve me. I actually come in here quite a bit and post about Texas (and other colleges), giving the guys info if I have any (like Ramonce, if you missed it is transferring, hasn't decided to where yet, but he's narrowed it down). My Texas info for the past couple months has kind of sucked, but I haven't been in Austin or even on the continental US for a while. Like I said, I have a life. I can't sit here on my computer 24/7 inserting myself into every argument possible.

Look lady, this thread is only a continuance of another like many threads in this forum.

Like you said, you came in and only assumed what was actually being talked about with out reading much and made up your mine.

If you didn't know, there has been smack talk leveled at A&M and USC lately. It's cool when it deals with sports, but when it deals with alumni and traditions and academics, unless you're a student of UT or any school, your cred is worthless. No matter if you served in the marines, or went to beauty college.

You have everyright to pick sides and defend the intellectual honor of longhorn fans, but you were never the subject of this thread. Only some of the horn fans were. That is all. And as a fan of college football i can to insert my oppinion. This is an open thread, althought the message is not aimed at you, it is open to me and you.

There, lets carry on with a peaceful discussion before we hop on some high horse and claim moral superiority and have power trips.

johngateswhiteley
08-13-2006, 08:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2544246

read #16...and then shut-up.

Extra Stout
08-13-2006, 12:15 PM
The ongoing self-ownage by Texas fans in this forum does not befit a school with such a great heritage.

I would like to see a roll call of how many actually graduated from Texas, as opposed to Bee County Community College.

CBF -- that's 1.

reydawg
08-13-2006, 12:44 PM
not that it matter, cause USC won them and the when is irrelevant. but they are fairly recent:

I wouldn't say "won". In college football, it's more appropriate to say a school "has a claim" to a national title due to the fact that the NCAA doesn't officially award one in Division 1A football (or whatever it's called now).

And that's not a dig at USC. Look at how many Bama has claimed. FWIW, Texas only claims 4, though UT could claim quite a few more due to all the different organizations that put out polls back in the day.

I thought it was funny a few years back when USC decided to claim that 1939 title that A&M also claims. A couple of Ags I know were sorta miffed, but nobody really cares.

But other than your statement that USC "won" those MNC's, I agree that years are irrelevant. More power to you. And to Bama, Yale, Michigan, Texas, A&M and any other school that claims college football's Mythical National Championship.

j-6
08-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't say "won". In college football, it's more appropriate to say a school "has a claim" to a national title due to the fact that the NCAA doesn't officially award one in Division 1A football (or whatever it's called now).

In the BCS era, the BCS champion is the national champion. That system is just as flawed as using the polls, but it was signed off on by the major conferences and Myles Brand himself. If you want to give USC a piece of LSU's 03-04 title then you can give Auburn a piece of USC's 04-05 title. And then maybe throw Utah a bone while you're at it.

reydawg
08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
In the BCS era, the BCS champion is the national champion. That system is just as flawed as using the polls, but it was signed off on by the major conferences and Myles Brand himself. If you want to give USC a piece of LSU's 03-04 title then you can give Auburn a piece of USC's 04-05 title. And then maybe throw Utah a bone while you're at it.

100% False - common fallacy. I see why USC fans get so frustrated - and I'm a UT grad. There is no BCS champ. The BCS is just a mechanism to put #1 and #2 together for a bowl game; a mechanism developed by the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, the major conferences, and ABC (now Fox-ABC). This mechanism makes quite a bit of $ for all the parties involved (leading to the anti-trust talk from smaller conferences), but does not crown a national title.

As part of the BCS deal, the Coaches association agreed to crown the winner of the #1-#2 game as their national champion. The AP did not agree to this and continues to crown their own champion. In fact, this is what allowed to AP to make the BCS remove the AP poll from the BCS standing calculation last year.

So at the end of the year the Coaches poll crowns a national champ, which is contractually the winner of the BCS title game. The AP poll does the same, but is not bound to select anybody. Thus, the possibility for split polls.

2003 USC can claim that AP national title; 2003 LSU beat OU and can claim the Coaches' national title. 2004 Auburn can claim neither. 2005 Texas can claim both.

You can dress it up in the BCS/Bowl Alliance/whatever you want. At the end of the year, nobody "wins" national titles. We're still claiming them just like back in the day. Don't hold your breath for a change any time soon either.

mookie2001
08-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I would like to see a roll call of how many actually graduated from Texas, as opposed to Bee County Community College.

CBF -- that's 1.
that makes me feel like less of a fan, you have truely made a showstopping argument

Extra Stout
08-13-2006, 02:53 PM
that makes me feel like less of a fan, you have truely made a showstopping argument
I'm simply concerned, because Texas is an excellent university. It makes our state look good. It is an effective use of taxpayer money. I simply want to make sure that none of the Beavises actually got degrees from there.

A&M has an advantage in this regard because its non-attendee Wal-Mart employee fans in East Texas don't have indoor plumbing or electricity, much less Internet access.

cecil collins
08-13-2006, 03:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2544246

read #16...and then shut-up.
Read the last one and then shut up.

cecil collins
08-13-2006, 03:15 PM
johngates' aggys havent beaten texas this century, and usc (the greatest team of alltime), got chodebloaded (by definition) in the rosebowl --I don't know what else to say.

You have to be dumb to ask this question. What is this gay thread, if not a pissing contest? Maybe you should find something other then shit that happened before you were born to be proud of. Like the 2004 championship. Why don't you find a hobby, other than being a douche expert.

johngateswhiteley
08-13-2006, 06:05 PM
100% False - common fallacy. I see why USC fans get so frustrated - and I'm a UT grad. There is no BCS champ. The BCS is just a mechanism to put #1 and #2 together for a bowl game; a mechanism developed by the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, the major conferences, and ABC (now Fox-ABC). This mechanism makes quite a bit of $ for all the parties involved (leading to the anti-trust talk from smaller conferences), but does not crown a national title.

As part of the BCS deal, the Coaches association agreed to crown the winner of the #1-#2 game as their national champion. The AP did not agree to this and continues to crown their own champion. In fact, this is what allowed to AP to make the BCS remove the AP poll from the BCS standing calculation last year.

So at the end of the year the Coaches poll crowns a national champ, which is contractually the winner of the BCS title game. The AP poll does the same, but is not bound to select anybody. Thus, the possibility for split polls.

2003 USC can claim that AP national title; 2003 LSU beat OU and can claim the Coaches' national title. 2004 Auburn can claim neither. 2005 Texas can claim both.

You can dress it up in the BCS/Bowl Alliance/whatever you want. At the end of the year, nobody "wins" national titles. We're still claiming them just like back in the day. Don't hold your breath for a change any time soon either.

...ahh! another poster with intelligence. i commend you my friend and thank you for trying to explain to these people what the real situation is. i think that it was coming from a Trojan/Aggie fan made it easy to dismiss.

you are correct in that teams claim national titles. however there are still titles in which every poll had that team #1...so that claiming may not be the correct word. consensus national titles for USC are:

...with the other 5, of course, being shared. funny you mentioned 1939, i was waiting for someone to do that, and am glad it was such a respectful fan as yourself. i think A&M had like 10 polls select them the national champion, cornell 2, and USC 1 (dickinson). however, USC did finish #1 in a poll at the end of the following years, but they did/do not claim a national title those years:

pretty interesting stuff and definitely creates a lot of debate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorn_Athletics

(note rivalries @ the bottom)

Mr Dio
08-13-2006, 06:08 PM

:lol :lol :lol

Mr Dio
08-13-2006, 06:12 PM

:lol
I don't think some idiots get it j-6.
This is so simple to understand yet you have some idiots who should be in the political forum or with their boyfriends on the back of a motorcycle & yet here they are trying to discuss common sense.

reydawg
08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
:lol
I don't think some idiots get it j-6.
This is so simple to understand yet you have some idiots who should be in the political forum or with their boyfriends on the back of a motorcycle & yet here they are trying to discuss common sense.

Am I an idiot?

Mr Dio
08-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't know.
I haven't seen any blather or senseless guff from you but let me ask you......What are the rankings of the teams that play in the BCS National Championship game?

Mr Dio
08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
100% False - common fallacy. I see why USC fans get so frustrated - and I'm a UT grad. There is no BCS champ. The BCS is just a mechanism to put #1 and #2 together for a bowl game;

This is where there is a major concern.
100% false?????

------------->>>>If the #1 & #2 teams play @ the end of the season in the final bowl game who should be #1?<<<<---------------------------

Common sense dictates that the winner of the BCS National Championship game (#1 vs #2) is THE NATIONAL CHAMPION via head-to-head match-up.
None of this going back to the time Moses to pull a game out of our asses that most of us weren't alive for in the 1st place.

True. Very true.

reydawg
08-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't know.
I haven't seen any blather or senseless guff from you but let me ask you......What are the rankings of the teams that play in the BCS National Championship game?

Due to the components of the BCS formula, those teams typically are ranked #1 and #2 in the AP and/or coaches' polls.

However, those aren't the sole criteria for matching teams in the last BCS game. That honor actually goes to the two teams with the lowest scores in the final BCS standings (released in early December). The calculcation of that BCS score includes the rank in the most recent coaches' poll. It no longer includes the AP poll, which is totally independent of the BCS system.

Thus, you can't write in stone that the #1 vs #2 teams (at least according to either the AP or coaches' polls) are playing in the BCS title game. Sorry for such a long answer - you were likely looking for something shorter, but the content is absolutely true.

FWIW, my framed 2006 Rose Bowl ticket - which I have sitting here on my desk - says "Bowl Championship Series National Championship". It doesn't say anything about the AP or coaches polls. Now do you have enough information to establish whether or not I am an idiot?

Mr Dio
08-13-2006, 07:55 PM
See post #59.

reydawg
08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Common sense dictates that the winner of the BCS National Championship game (#1 vs #2) is THE NATIONAL CHAMPION via head-to-head match-up.

Not been following college football long? When did common sense ever come into play in trying to crown national champions? :lol

That's the point I'm trying to make here! The BCS is what it is - a mechanism for putting the two clear-cut best teams together at the end of the season. As simple as it sounds, this is something which eluded the sport until 1998.

Now what happens when two clear-cut best teams don't exist some year? Then you have bowl chaos and lots of arguing.

Are you arguing that USC didn't win the MNC in 2003? Are you arguing that LSU didn't? Are you arguing that 2004 Auburn should be the national champs?

Or are you just trying to piss off these non-UT fans? I have no idea.

Mr Dio
08-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Like I said, post #59 has an unanswered question.

--------->>>?????????<<<-------------

j-6
08-14-2006, 08:03 AM

There's no fallacy involved. The NCAA record book, the president of the NCAA, and every major conference considers the BCS champion the national champion. Claiming to be the national champion because the Associated Press gave you enough first place votes, even though another team won the BCS championship game, is like claiming to be the heavyweight champion of the world becuase some fringe organization gave you a belt.

MajorMike
08-14-2006, 08:21 AM
I don't know.

Ask Colorado about Nebraska's ranking in 2001.

johngateswhiteley
08-14-2006, 11:25 AM
There's no fallacy involved. The NCAA record book, the president of the NCAA, and every major conference considers the BCS champion the national champion. Claiming to be the national champion because the Associated Press gave you enough first place votes, even though another team won the BCS championship game, is like claiming to be the heavyweight champion of the world becuase some fringe organization gave you a belt.

...actually its not. you don't understand the the material at hand and what actually decides the national championship. Rey and i have been trying to explain this to people...but you guys just don't get it. good thing for ME and EVERYBODY else not on this forum or not a t.u. fan, we get it. and it does not really matter what "you" think. 2003 national champs...for the record.

MajorMike
08-14-2006, 12:05 PM
UCLA: 99
Stanford: 92
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40
Texas: 39
Michigan: 32
North Carolina: 31
Penn State: 30

j-6
08-14-2006, 12:56 PM
...actually its not. you don't understand the the material at hand and what actually decides the national championship. Rey and i have been trying to explain this to people...but you guys just don't get it. good thing for ME and EVERYBODY else not on this forum or not a t.u. fan, we get it. and it does not really matter what "you" think. 2003 national champs...for the record.

Your feeble attempts at being condescending aren't exactly helping your argument, but that's fine. You can have the 2003 sportswriter's intercontinental tag-team title when the system that USC's conference president signed off on, ending the semi-sacred Pac-10/Big-10 Rose Bowl rivalry, declared another champion. Let's put it this way. Since 1998, nobody except for the University of Southern California gives a shit about who the Associated Press thinks the #1 team in the country is.

Also, you're right. I don't understand. Your team won a legitimate BCS title the following season and you're obsessing over the one LSU beat Oklahoma for the prior year.

j-6
08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Like I said, post #59 has an unanswered question.

--------->>>?????????<<<-------------

Here's your answer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=At4IpubBi0yA.0yuh6Rws8c5nYcB?slug=dw-usc3peat122205

reydawg
08-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Since 1998, nobody except for the University of Southern California gives a shit about who the Associated Press thinks the #1 team in the country is.

I wouldn't go that far. We (UT fans) were gripping very hard over the AP voters who where wedging undefeated Utah between 1-loss Cal and 1-loss Texas in late 2004. I won't say it was the entire UT fanbase, but those of us who closely followed the BCS standings week-by-week realized a handful of AP voters controlled who was going to the 2005 Rose Bowl vs Michigan. So while I don't want to re-hash that ordeal, it's very clear that lots of college football fans (including us Longhorns) have "given a shit" about the AP poll since 1998 (and implicitly, its #1 team). So you should refine your statement to be more specific.

Your team won a legitimate BCS title the following season and you're obsessing over the one LSU beat Oklahoma for the prior year.

It's kinda funny to think that a criterion to winning the National Title recently might as well be beating OU. 2003 LSU, 2004 USC, 2005 Texas :lol

j-6
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
OK reydawg, I should have said "at the end of the season". :D But UT fans know damn well that the BCS sucks.

Of course we remember Mack's somewhat tasteless campaigning to give Cal the shaft the year before last, or how OU blew our chance at the BCS the year before that when they lost to K-State and UT losing to freakin' Wazzou in the Holiday Bowl, or after the Colorado debacle in '01(when Florida got the at-large bid). Now of course the AP isn't even part of the BCS process, but I remember sweating that poll quite a bit. We'd all stop what we were doing to go watch ESPN every Monday at 2:00 PM for the BCS release.

But the fact of the matter is that the BCS ain't perfect, but it's the standard. Proclaiming to be national champs because the AP said so when there's a system in place with results that say otherwise - no matter how shitty the system is - is just plain self-serving.

dmac
08-14-2006, 02:21 PM
not really. Tell that to the players that won those champioships.
Tell that Yankees that they may have 26 World Series Championships, that only 4 count because they happened in your lifetime.

Mr Dio
08-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Tell that Yankees that they may have 26 World Series Championships, that only 4 count because they happened in your lifetime.

Well, maybe someone can send them all a link to read my posts? :lol

Seriously, I couldn't have cared less that UT beat Who Cares U in 1906 12-11 in OT. Maybe from the time I started being a UT fan in the purest sense of the word.
I started watching the Horns in 1974. I was told many stories by the alums @ the games I watched & many were so passionate about the 1960's on. I was even told stories by mature alums of other schools when I was young @ those same games.

gtownspur
08-14-2006, 05:04 PM

See, this is the problem. THey are totally two different things.

One's a playoff system, the other one is an estimation system. The yankees played their way into the national game, the longhorns and any other college team didn't. THey were mathematically chosen to play. Big difference.

mookie2001
08-15-2006, 07:38 PM
jailbre6 well said