PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts movies..

phyzik
08-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, I love martial Arts movies and thought it would be cool to have a semi-compendium of known and unknown martial arts movies/actors that where good.

Im not talking about well known movies like Steven Segal and crap.

ANYWAY.... the reason Im starting this thread is because of one Thai boxer and the movie I saw him play in a while back....

The movie is Called:

Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/ong_bak-tlr.html) starring Tony Jaa.

IMHO this dude is off the freaking chain.

If you go to Showtime On Demand now its on there... I HIGHLY suggest it if you like Martial Arts.

Anyway, a few of my other favorites might contain some stars but in some unknown movies to a few people.

The Chinese Connection: Bruce Lee

Drunken Master: Jackie Chan

Legend of the Drunken Master: Jackie Chan

Fist of Legend: Jet Li (remake of Bruce Lee's "The Chinese Connection")

Snake in the Monkey Shadow: John Chang

Enter The Dragon (of Course, wtf is wrong with you!)

Shaolin Master Killer: Gordon Liu

Anyway... if you have the time and Showtime on Demand.... WATCH ONG BAK!

E20
08-09-2006, 09:35 PM
The Legend of the Drunken master movies were sick!!!! I need to watch those over or download them.

Once upon a time in little China w/Jet Li is good.
Also:
Big Boss
Game of Death (even though he died before it's release)

ANY Pre-1995 Jackie Chan or Jet Li movie. :lol

phyzik
08-09-2006, 09:57 PM
The Legend of the Drunken master movies were sick!!!! I need to watch those over or download them.

Once upon a time in little China w/Jet Li is good.
Also:
Big Boss
Game of Death (even though he died before it's release)

ANY Pre-1995 Jackie Chan or Jet Li movie. :lol

Trust me dude, If you like the Drunken master movies, watch Ong Bak. Its freaking badass.

PakiDan
08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Big Trouble in Little China starring Kurt Russell

mookie2001
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
game of death is one of the greatest movies in cinematic history, has anyone seen it pieced together as best they could with the new footage?, it reigns in blood

When You See A Swordsman, Draw Your Sword. Do Not Recite Poetry To One Who Is Not A Poet

phyzik
08-09-2006, 10:49 PM
game of death is one of the greatest movies in cinematic history, has anyone seen it pieced together as best they could with the new footage?, it reigns in blood

Game of death would have been one of the greatest.... If only it was finished by the man himself. Since it wasnt, The Chinese Connection (otherwise known as Fist of fury) has to be the best in my book.

mookie2001
08-09-2006, 10:52 PM
thats the mystery that makes it so incredible, and im not a big fan of postdeath releases either (see sublime sublime and that shitty stanley kubrick movie)

leemajors
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
uhh, watch shogun assassin. it's the fight scenes from lone wolf and cub edited together into a giant bloodbath - puts weak ass kill bill to shame. watch tai chi master as well as tai chi 2. a newer one that is also good is fearless starring jet li. fatal flying guillotine and duel to the death are also incredible.

IceColdBrewski
08-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Bloodsport. Discussion over.

flipcritic
08-10-2006, 01:56 AM
I loved ONG-BAK as well. http://www.flipcritic.net/archives/000138.html

atxrocker
08-10-2006, 02:04 AM
ong-bak kicks ass! tony jaa is fuckin awesome and fun as fuck to watch. he also starred in tom yum goong, which despite it's weaker story line than ong-bak, still has some very solid fight sequences as well. this guy is gonna be huge..

and i agree that shogun assassin is fucking bad ass. it's a classic without a doubt, one of my all-time favorites..

TDMVPDPOY
08-10-2006, 02:19 AM
if you prefer to watch WUXIA series :D:D usually about 20-40 eps you can get them english subs
jin yong stories to film production
demi gods semi evils = very fuckn long but the best story and action
state of devinity = if ur into swords then this is the fuckn one = jet li did a movie of this "THE SWORDSMAN 2"
legend of teh condor heroes = forrest gump becomes powerful mofo and patriotism, story takes place durin mongol invasion of china
return of the condor heroes = handicapped person becomes stronger than uncle forrest gump, mongol successfully takes over china
heavenly sword dragon sabre = 100 yrs later after return of condor heroes, china fights back the mongols to take back china.

these series is like watchin hidden dragon crouchin tiger, all that flyin n shit....

there is alot of good wuxia movies also
the swordsman 1 + 2
the 3 swordsman
the tai-chi master

i use to collect these movies n series, the wuxia series above i mentioned, CHINA just reproduce them 2003 - 2006 so they are recently new and alot of good effects, scenes of china, fightin and storyline. or u prefer to read the books whichi i dont recommend since its very long.

leemajors
08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
i forgot to mention the magnificent butcher, which also kicks ass.

Jean-Claude Van Damme
08-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Bonjour,

"Bloodsport" is the all-time classic martial arts movie. :tu

Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Shaolin-Style
08-10-2006, 09:02 AM
ALL that is Shaolin.

Except for the crappy ones.

I'll leave you to decide.

cheguevara
08-10-2006, 09:09 AM
5 deadly venoms

Lebowski Brickowski
08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
I love obscure Kung Fu flicks --

The MOST obscure one I've ever seen was called (in English anyway):

"The Shao Lin Master" -- Jet li at a very young age

I used to own it years ago but sold it for beer $ when I was down in the dumps. :drunk

Anywany -- I can't find it ANYWHERE now!!! :madrun

It's about a kid whose parent's get killed and he grows up to learn Kung Fu from an ollllld, crazy monk he meets when the ground cracks open for some reason. The monk is eternally bound to a huge rolling boulder for some reason but he can still kick some ass and he teaches jet li to kick ass as well. He defeats his master when the monk turns on him and then at the end he fights this evil bitch with wicked sharp hair pins she throws all over the place.

Anybody seen it?

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Bloodsport. Discussion over.

Incorrect.
"Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky".
NOW the discussion is over.

AlamoSpursFan
08-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding between No Retreat, No Surrender and They Call Me Bruce.

:lol

RogerIsEatingASandwich
08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Versus.

One of The Best EVER. Zombies and Martial Arts in the same movie, what more could you ask for. Also has one of the best sword fights i've ever seen. All around a great movie.

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-12-2006, 03:03 AM
Versus.

One of The Best EVER. Zombies and Martial Arts in the same movie, what more could you ask for. Also has one of the best sword fights i've ever seen. All around a great movie.

Zombies, martial arts AND gangsters!
Truly an awesome movie!
BTW, if you haven't seen it, check out "Azumi". I believe it was directed by the same guy who did "Versus". The swordfight scene near the end totally destroys the one in "Kill Bill Vol. 1".

phyzik
08-13-2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.theprotectormovie.com/

New Tony Jaa movie

leemajors
08-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Zombies, martial arts AND gangsters!
Truly an awesome movie!
BTW, if you haven't seen it, check out "Azumi". I believe it was directed by the same guy who did "Versus". The swordfight scene near the end totally destroys the one in "Kill Bill Vol. 1".

i wasn't very impressed by any of the swordplay in either one of the kill bill movies.