PDA

View Full Version : Victim standing her ground

GrandeDavid
08-09-2006, 11:04 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060809/NEWS01/608090367

If rapists seek revenge, she'll be ready

BY SHEILA MCLAUGHLIN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
MIDDLETOWN - When Cathy Lindsey's youngest son handed her a .380-caliber pistol a year ago, he gave her a word of advice.

"It boils down to one thing," said Charlie Keith, an Army veteran who served two tours in Iraq. "Kill or be killed. You have to fight for your life."

Twenty-three years after Lindsey was bound, tortured and raped by three men in her home while her three young children huddled behind a dresser, the 48-year-old grandmother is planning to do just that.

Two of Lindsey's three attackers will be released from prison Aug. 28 and are expected to return to Middletown, where they would live within a mile or two of Lindsey's home.

The homecoming for Richard Reed Jr., 53, and his cousin Robert Lee Hogsten, 48, comes five years early. They pleaded guilty to the 1983 rape in exchange for dismissing other felony charges.

Hogsten's brother, Edward, did not take a plea bargain. He was convicted at trial and was sentenced to 28 to 68 years. He recently was denied early release. The 50-year-old will be eligible for parole again in 2011.

Lindsey is terrified the men will make good on a threat she says they made years ago.

"They made it very clear if I told anyone, they would come back and kill me - and I told," she said.

Lindsey has fought over the years with petition drives, letters and appearances before parole board to keep the trio in prison.

Now, she'll be ready if anyone comes after her.

She's taken kick-boxing and self-defense classes. She practices her shooting skills almost weekly at a Sharonville target range. She and her husband, Michael, are applying for permits to carry a concealed weapon.

Michael Lindsey, a state prison guard, has stocked up on ammunition.

"This home is an arsenal," he said of their cottage on Stanley Street. "I sleep with a .45 under my pillow. I've been preparing for this for two years. I'm not a survivalist, but I'm going to do what I've got to do."

'THEY MADE ME BEG'

Lindsey was a single mother raising three kids, a part-time Laundromat clerk and a student at Miami University with a 4.0 average and plans to become a registered nurse.

Her dreams and sense of security vanished early Sept. 2, 1983.

About 2 a.m. Lindsey woke up on the sleeper sofa in her apartment on North Sutphin Avenue to find a man standing next to her.

He was naked except for a pillow case over his head with two eyeholes cut out, and he had a small black and white gun. Within minutes, two other men joined him. They told her they were members of the Ku Klux Klan.

Over the next four hours, Lindsey was bound with a plastic clothes line, burned with a cigarette lighter, threatened with a gun, then a knife. All the while the three men took turns sexually assaulting her.

"The worst part wasn't the rape. It was making me beg over and over and over. They put the gun down my throat and just made me beg - beg for my life, beg for mercy, beg them not to hurt my children," Lindsey recalled.

When it was over and the men were gone, Lindsey discovered that her phones had been ripped out of the wall. So she got dressed, threw a blanket around her children and drove herself to Middletown Regional Hospital.

Within three hours, Middletown police arrested Reed, who lived across the street from Lindsey with his wife, a son and twin daughters.

Detectives found damning evidence at Reed's house: a small black handgun with white grips, a pillow case with two holes cut from it, and clothesline.

Fingerprints from Lindsey's apartment and blood from the men linked them to the rape. Lindsey later identified Edward Hogsten from a police lineup.

All three men denied involvement in the crime.

NO RESTRICTIONS AFTER RELEASE

The men will have to register their addresses with police. And they may be ordered by a judge not to have any contact with Lindsey. But there's nothing Lindsey can do to keep the men from coming back to Middletown.

Prison officials say it's impossible to restrict where the men live, but they will have to report to a parole officer for two years. Reed and Robert Hogsten were ordered not to have any contact with Lindsey, they said. They have to register their addresses by law because they are sex offenders.

"There is nothing however that speaks to an actual city that they can or cannot live in," said prison spokeswoman Joellen Lyons.

Lindsey can't believe the men would be allowed back in her neighborhood. She learned this week that one of the men is planning to stay with relatives not even a quarter-mile from her home.

Lindsey has suffered nightmares of being snatched away by the trio and brutalized all over again - a flare-up of the post traumatic stress disorder she has suffered for 23 years. Lindsey is afraid to drive or leave her house alone, even to her job as a licensed practical nurse at a nursing home.

"You are always looking over your shoulder. You're always wondering who's following you, and now they are coming back. It's a constant thing," she said.

Local parole officials declined to comment.

"She has every right to be concerned. She needs to do what she needs to do to feel safe," Stacey Hall, director of the Butler County Rape Crisis Program. While a variety of laws can restrict where child sex offenders can live, there aren't as many clear restrictions for those who assault adults. Even though judges often issue restraining orders in adult rape cases, the issue remains a hot topic, Hall said.

The Lindseys are trying to get a protection order to keep Robert Hogsten and Reed away from them.

Lindsey also has considered changing her name, selling her house and disappearing with her family. But she says she shouldn't have to do that.

"It's so easy for someone to say 'Just move on,' " Lindsey said. "I cannot let these men destroy me. I can't - or they win."

E-mail [email protected]

GrandeDavid
08-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I pray for the safety of this woman and her family, but should these sons of bitches not be "rehabilitated" and try something stupid, I hope they get theirs. I'm happy to see this woman showing an incredible amount of courage and strength.

missmyzte
08-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I couldn't do it, imagine running into him at the grocery store or the gas station?? No way, if they moved near me, I'd move away, plain and simple.

GrandeDavid
08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Misti, I'll get in touch with you tomorrow. Btw, I'm heading out of LA to San Antonio on Sunday, I think, so we hopefully will have time to meet up.

GrandeDavid
08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
What a sick, heinous, evil, disgusting crime. This gets my blood boiling just thinking about it. I hope the community rallies around her and her family and protect them. I know if I lived there I would.

phyzik
08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I've shot 4 people at one time coming in my house while it was just me and my mom at home (dad passed away and brother was away with military). When their friends and family tried to threaten me at court, before they where removed, I looked them all in the eye and told them to come on over and I'll re-unite them.

Never seen them since and to this day still sleep with a .45 under my pillow and a shotgun on my bedroom wall. Im glad I dont know where they live because I'd be scared I'd go pay them a visit for what they said after I had a few too many.

I personally knew 2 of them.

I hope these bastards get theirs, they should have never been let out.

GrandeDavid
08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
phyzik, I don't even know what to say to your reply except that I'm glad that you and your family are safe and well. May I also say that you have balls of steel? Because you do. Damn!

Kori Ellis
08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
I've shot 4 people at one time coming in my house while it was just me and my mom at home (dad passed away and brother was away with military). When their friends and family tried to threaten me at court, before they where removed, I looked them all in the eye and told them to come on over and I'll re-unite them.

Never seen them since and to this day still sleep with a .45 under my pillow and a shotgun on my bedroom wall. Im glad I dont know where they live because I'd be scared I'd go pay them a visit for what they said after I had a few too many.

I personally knew 2 of them.

I hope these bastards get theirs, they should have never been let out.

Sorry, but did I read this post correctly.

You shot/killed 4 people who broke into your home?

phyzik
08-09-2006, 11:58 PM
phyzik, I don't even know what to say to your reply except that I'm glad that you and your family are safe and well. May I also say that you have balls of steel? Because you do. Damn!

believe me, I was scared shitless for days after it happened. Luckily cops got to the house before the media and I was smart enough to request the police to keep them away. Later the courts issued a no-print to the media regarding the incident for fear of retaliation.

Sorry, but did I read this post correctly.

You shot/killed 4 people who broke into your home?

I killed 2 on the spot, one died on the way to the hospital with 2 collapsed lungs, the other was severely injured. It was his family and friends of the others that threatened me. There was a trial to see if I was guilty of anything (murder, ect) but I had a good lawyer and it was pretty cut and dry. Needless to say we no longer live in that house.

j-6
08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Damn. Glad you made it through.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I killed 2 on the spot, one died on the way to the hospital with 2 collapsed lungs, the other was severely injured. It was his family and friends of the others that threatened me. There was a trial to see if I was guilty of anything (murder, ect) but I had a good lawyer and it was pretty cut and dry. Needless to say we no longer live in that house.

Wow.

I'm glad that you and your mom made it through safely.

How long ago was it?

T Park
08-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Remind me to take a bullet proof vest to the next GTG with Phyzik.

All kidding aside, congrats on doing whats right Phyzik, and damn the politicians that would want to take the right to carry that arm, and defend yourself.

Leetonidas
08-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Rapists need the death penalty.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2006, 01:37 AM

Or at the least, castration :wow

T Park
08-10-2006, 02:21 AM
nah go ahead and gas em.

Fuck what Penn and Teller think.

Leetonidas
08-10-2006, 02:59 AM
Or at the least, castration :wow
:depressed

Kori, do you know that hurts just thinking about it?

Mavs_man_41
08-10-2006, 03:08 AM
That is fucking sick......I agree with phyzik they should have been shot on the spot. Most of the time my mom is never home alone, either myself or my dad would be there. I would never hesitate to shoot someone breaking in because you dont know their intentions. They could be serial killers. And when im not home my two bullmastiffs could do the job, no one would get past them.

1Parker1
08-10-2006, 08:04 AM
The homecoming for Richard Reed Jr., 53, and his cousin Robert Lee Hogsten, 48, comes five years early. They pleaded guilty to the 1983 rape in exchange for dismissing other felony charges.

Detectives found damning evidence at Reed's house: a small black handgun with white grips, a pillow case with two holes cut from it, and clothesline.

Fingerprints from Lindsey's apartment and blood from the men linked them to the rape. Lindsey later identified Edward Hogsten from a police lineup.

Maybe FWD or some other lawyer/student can help me on this one. But if there was so much evidence against them for the rape...why did they have to make a plea bargain with them to dismiss their other felony charges?

Anyways, that is downright scary and heinous to think that 3 rapists can just serve their term in prision, and move back years later a few blocks down from the woman they raped, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. IMO, Rape has got to be one of the most horrible crimes a person can commit against someone else. I honestly don't know how I would be able to move on with my life if I was ever raped. Props to this woman for getting herself and her family prepared and for being strong enough not to run away and move. Not sure if I would have had the strength to do the same...

1Parker1
08-10-2006, 08:05 AM

:tu :tu Raping someone...you're killing a huge part of them. IMO, it's just as bad as shooting someone and killing them.

GrandeDavid
08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Wow!

1Parker1
08-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Wow!

:wtf

tlongII
08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Rapists should be castrated, but I don't think they should be executed.

GrandeDavid
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
:wtf

Wasn't acknowledging you.

2Blonde
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Maybe FWD or some other lawyer/student can help me on this one. But if there was so much evidence against them for the rape...why did they have to make a plea bargain with them to dismiss their other felony charges?

Anyways, that is downright scary and heinous to think that 3 rapists can just serve their term in prision, and move back years later a few blocks down from the woman they raped, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. IMO, Rape has got to be one of the most horrible crimes a person can commit against someone else. I honestly don't know how I would be able to move on with my life if I was ever raped. Props to this woman for getting herself and her family prepared and for being strong enough not to run away and move. Not sure if I would have had the strength to do the same...I am not a lawyer but I play one on TV.:lol Seriously, maybe they offered the pleas in order to avoid long drawn out trials that would prolong the suffering and trauma for the victim; maybe there were some problems with her testimony. It could be that she wasn't a great witness on the stand, some people aren't. Maybe they had strong evidence on some of the charges but not all of them and figured the best way to handle it was to just plea to one biggie to get it all over with in a tidy manner and not risk confusing the jury.

LuvBones
08-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Lindsey also has considered changing her name, selling her house and disappearing with her family. But she says she shouldn't have to do that.

"It's so easy for someone to say 'Just move on,' " Lindsey said. "I cannot let these men destroy me. I can't - or they win."

23 years of having to worry...I hope she considers doing this so at least she doesn't have to worry her entire life. Then again, maybe changing her name and moving will make things even more difficult. The neighborhood should make it a living hell for the guys that move back near her.