PDA

View Full Version : America vs Barcelona (barcelona tour 06)

mFFL03
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM
wow.

I just saw America (mexican club) romp on Barcelona.

4-2 when I left with 10 minutes left. And Barcelona just scored in the 80th minute......

Granted Barc. brought in all their good players in the 2nd half, there is no excuse.

America outran, outhustled, outhearted..........basically out played Barc

There are alot of games coming up in the next 2-4 days.

I'm a lil bit happier to be of mexican descent today

Keep making posts about them.

Phenomanul
08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
The flow of the game was backwards.... Barcelona was forced to sub in its best players, while America subbed in 6 of their bench players...

It was a great game.

alamo50
08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
WTF is going on?

:lol

Are them US teams paying the Euro teams to lose to lift their spirits after a dissapointing World Cup or what?!?!

Phenomanul
08-10-2006, 12:25 PM
WTF is going on?

:lol

Are them US teams paying the Euro teams to lose to lift their spirits after a dissapointing World Cup or what?!?!

America is a Mexican Team...

velik_m
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Preseason.

S. America used to get all the world club championships because they were held in the euro-offseason and euro clubs didn't really care if they win it.

and yes, american teams do pay this teams to play them, but i don't think winning is included in the package - they just want it more.

Phenomanul
08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Preseason.

S. America used to get all the world club championships because they were held in the euro-offseason and euro clubs didn't really care if they win it.

and yes, american teams do pay this teams to play them, but i don't think winning is included in the package - they just want it more.

True... but yesterday, right after Club America subbed out its starters (they were leading 4-1 at the time), Barcelona then proceded to sub in its other stars... Deco, Messi, Saviola etc...

They did not want to lose.

All I care about is that it was an entertaining match...

On a side note, both teams could possibly face each other again in the FIFA World Club Championship this year...

T-Pain
08-10-2006, 07:51 PM
isnt Barca playin houston later this month?

ALVAREZ6
08-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Who scored the goals for Barcelona?

mFFL03
08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
That was the match in Houston

Spurologist
08-10-2006, 09:57 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=375458&cc=5901

Goals:

Club America
??? Min: Nelson Cuevas (3 goals, first half)
65th Min: Oleguer (own goal)

FC Barcelona
5th Min: Rafael Marquez
85th Min: Saviola
89th Min: Ronaldinho
90th Min: Eto'o

Guess Barcelona doesn't like losing.

T-Pain
08-10-2006, 10:34 PM
damn it, i want to see these guys play on tv

mFFL03
08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
here's an article on it......sorry it got a lil chopped up because of the pictures in embedded....

FC Barcelona drew 4-4 with Club América in an astonishing game which at one point saw the Mexican side leading 4-1. Three goals in the last seven minutes salvaged a draw in a roller coaster pre-season friendly.

The European Champions showed just how much they hate losing even in pre-season friendlies. After a disappointing first-half display which saw the pace of the Mexicans wreak havoc in the Barca defence and then a second-half own-goal by Oleguer, Barca fought back from 4-1 down to snatch an unlikely draw. The pride and fighting spirit of Frank Rijkaards men were rewarded with late goals from Saviola, Ronaldinho and Eto'o.

A first-half goal fest

Unlike earlier games on the tour, the first half exploded with intensity, rhythm and goals. After just 3 minutes, Nelson Cuevas fired América ahead after outpacing the Barca defence and becoming the first player to beat Victor Valdes this tour. And Cuevas wasn't finished there.

Barca fought back immediately with a Rafa Marquez goal from a Gio corner in the 5th minute. Then, Gudjohnson and Ezquerro both struck the woodwork in the same attack to cap a pulsating opening to the game.

Counterattack kings

Visibly growing in confidence, Barca started to move the ball well but without creating too many threats to the América goal. The Mexicans for their part were exploiting the pace of their attacking duo of Claudio López and Nelson Cuevas who were giving the Barca defence a thorough examination in the absence of Carles Puyol.

Eventually, the threat turned into goals with Nelson Cuevas doubling his total in the 31st minute before completing a superb first-half hat trick in the 44th minute. Just before half-time, Van Bommel appeared to have pulled one-back but was adjudged offside from Gudjohnsen's pass.

After an exciting first-half, Frank Rijkaard decided to make wholesale changes to give as many players as possible a run out but also to try and claw back the two goal deficit. On came Jorquera, Oleguer, Sylvinho, Ronaldinho, Motta, Eto'o and Deco, who was making his first appearance of the pre-season.

Even more difficult

Then after 62 minutes, it was Lionel Messi's turn to come on to the pitch the first time he had worn the Barca colours in 5 months. The excitement at seeing the young Argentine quickly evaporated 3 minutes later when the Mexcians made it four - Oleguer putting the ball in his own net following a Claudio Lopez cross.

At 4-1, the score-line could have been embarrassing for the Spanish Champions but they kept working hard, creating chances that Motta, Messi and Etoo just failed to put away.

Attack after attack

It was looking like one of those nights where the ball just wouldn't go in but finally in the 84th minute Saviola pounced following fantastic work between Etoo and Ronaldinho. Frank Rijkaard's side had a glimmer of hope and the Dutchmen ordered Deco, Ronaldinho, Saviola, Eto'o and Messi to remain in attack to exploit the many substitutions the Mexican side were making.

Eto'o scores at the death

Still believing a positive result was possible, Ronaldinho made the third, forcing a penalty which he himself converted in the 88th minute. The Mexicans were struggling to hold on and in extra time Saviola whipped the ball across the area and Eto'o was on hand to rise above his marker and nod home a late, late equaliser. It was fantastic reward for a side that simply refused to be beaten.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Barca would have won by a mile if they had their main players from the start

Phenomanul
08-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Barca would have won by a mile if they had their main players from the start

Perhaps...

The main problem was that Barcelona thought that they would win simply by stepping on the field.... and then it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be. Had Club America not subbed out its 6 main guys, Barcelona even with it's main guys would not have had sufficient time to catch up.

ehhhh it's only the Pre-season though.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Perhaps...

The main problem was that Barcelona thought that they would win simply by stepping on the field.... and then it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be. Had Club America not subbed out its 6 main guys, Barcelona even with it's main guys would not have had sufficient time to catch up.

ehhhh it's only the Pre-season though.
thats true. I think it was absurd the way Barcelona underestimated America as if they were playing against amateurs. They should have played their main guys for the entire match and not just part of the second half. America is one of the better teams this side of the world, I really don't understand why they did that. Either way, I still think Barcelona with its main players is a lot better than America, a lot.