PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Chains

leemajors
08-09-2006, 11:47 PM
is touring/masquerading around with some fool who "sounds just like staley." my friends are all pumped because most of them have never seen them. they got pissed when i said they still won't have seen them. without layne it would seem pointless to go (at least to me). i never saw them and will never get to - he's what made that band special. anyone else have any thoughts?

SequSpur
08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Dude, Staley died along time ago.

T Park
08-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah its like if Nirvana got back together with some stooge that "sounded" like Kurt.

BTW,

Alice in Chains Unplugged.

Prob the best album ever made. ALong with Ten by Pearl Jam.

That is all.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Is this guy a junkie?

It might help.

leemajors
08-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Is this guy a junkie?

It might help.

hah. i think he was in a band called neon jesus, which is a cool band name. i just have zero interest in paying over $15 to see something like that, while my friend will probably fork over at least $30

Spurminator
08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Yeah its like if Nirvana got back together with some stooge that "sounded" like Kurt.

Whoa, hold on there a minute... Layne Staley was a great performer with a unique voice, but Jerry Cantrell wrote most of Alice in Chains' songs, including some of the best like "Down in a Hole," "Rooster," "No Excuses" and "Would?"

I'd still go see them. Obviously, it wouldn't be as cool as the original lineup, but the KEY member of the band (IMO) is still worth the price of admission.

LuvBones
08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I miss Layne Staley. :(

LuvBones
08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Spurfect had an autographed pic and a letter from him. Bren, do you even still have it?

midgetonadonkey
08-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Jerry Cantrell should be ashamed of himself for allowing such nonsense to happen. It's a fucking shame.

Spurminator
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Why shouldn't he ever get to play his songs again just because his junkie front man killed himself from drugs?

leemajors
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Why shouldn't he ever get to play his songs again just because his junkie front man killed himself from drugs?

i don't mind them touring, i just don't think they can be "alice in chains" without staley.

midgetonadonkey
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM

Because the junkie frontman is the only one that can do those songs any justice. If he wants to keep performing them he just do them while he's touring solo. I'd rather hear Cantrell sing the tunes than some hack.

Spurfect
08-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Spurfect had an autographed pic and a letter from him. Bren, do you even still have it?

YES! I know I have it somewhere in my piles of boxes...lol. Just the autographed picture though.

that's so weird because I've been listening to AIC alot lately.. I have DiRT in my car CD player right now... they were such an amazing band.

I miss Layne too.. :( :depressed

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I thought that it was the remaining three members that were touring with Jerry handling the vocal chores as well?

Spurminator
08-10-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't know, but they would need an additional vocalist (or more) to get the harmonies right.

leemajors
08-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I thought that it was the remaining three members that were touring with Jerry handling the vocal chores as well?

they are touring with a lead vocalist, his name is WILLIAM DUVALL

Zombie
08-11-2006, 09:40 PM
That show would be a waste of $$$$$!
I saw AIC when they opened for Ozzy when he was allowed back in S.A.
Layne had a broken leg but still hopped around the stage and put on 1 HELL of a show.

SequSpur
08-12-2006, 01:01 AM
That show would be a waste of $$$$$!
I saw AIC when they opened for Ozzy when he was allowed back in S.A.
Layne had a broken leg but still hopped around the stage and put on 1 HELL of a show.

dude, i was at that show too............

Zombie
08-12-2006, 01:05 AM
dude, i was at that show too............
Sorry you had to witness Blind Melon! :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
08-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Well Layne IS the only AIC singer--but you have to realize Jerry wrote 99% of the material and Layne only wrote the lyrics. So comparing Alice in Chains to Nirvana is a moot point, mr Neocon. I can sympathize with a man who wrote bad ass music and comes across a singer who sounds exactly like Layne and then wants to tour again--I would do the same thing--That fucker killed the band and then killed himself with his selfish habits. But that all depends IF the fucker sounds "just like Layne". It's still not prudent to tour with another singer if he doesn't sound EXACTLY like Layne. It's like that gay ass Mark Walberg movie.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-12-2006, 02:05 AM
BTW-my first concert ever was metallica with jerry cantrell opening---that fucker puts on as good of a show as any, i am pretty sure as long as their new lead vocalist isn't a tpark imitation they will still put on a good show.

Zombie
08-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Well Layne IS the only AIC singer--but you have to realize Jerry wrote 99% of the material and Layne only wrote the lyrics. So comparing Alice in Chains to Nirvana is a moot point, mr Neocon. I can sympathize with a man who wrote bad ass music and comes across a singer who sounds exactly like Layne and then wants to tour again--I would do the same thing--That fucker killed the band and then killed himself with his selfish habits. But that all depends IF the fucker sounds "just like Layne". It's still not prudent to tour with another singer if he doesn't sound EXACTLY like Layne. It's like that gay ass Mark Walberg movie.
Brah, go back to listening to that 2 pac guy! You know notta about rock! :rolleyes

SequSpur
08-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry you had to witness Blind Melon! :lol

Is that who opened up? That concert was awesome... :lol

HeadBanger
08-12-2006, 09:10 AM
AIC rocks!

leemajors
08-12-2006, 10:08 AM

i don't know about that, layne often did work outside of the lyrics. when they all worked hard together on something, like with all of their albums but the last one, where layne wasn't around much, it was incredible. the last one wasn't bad, but it did drop off and you could make the case that it was because layne was elsewhere for most of it. don't get me wrong, i think cantrell is great - even thouse his solo effort left a lot to be desired. they just did their best work together and layne was a huge part of it. i really, really hope they don't decide to put out a new album.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-12-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah a new album would blow, but touring is another matter

he's more likely to sound like layne live than layne in the studio.