PDA

View Full Version : 10 Worst game controllers of all time

Useruser666
08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
http://www.hellogamer.com/2006/08/08/hellogamercom-10-crapiest-gaming-peripherals

I hade the Super Nintendo Scope.

midgetonadonkey
08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Why is the NES Power Glove not listed?

leemajors
08-10-2006, 10:29 AM
rob was awesome! my friend still has a working one. the power glove didn't make the list?

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I had the Super Scope too. The game that came with it (it was mech game, cant remember) frickin rocked.....but then that was all that ever came of it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Screw anybody who talks shit about the original Xbox controller.

I love it.

And where the hell was the Nintendo Power Glove?

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
OMG...my buddy had UForce, I didnt even remeber that PoS until I seen it in this article. I dont think we ever got that thing to actually work.

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM

I love it.

And where the hell was the Nintendo Power Glove?

Original Xbox = teh suq

Power Glove wasnt bad because it, you know, worked. That would be like saying the Power Pad was bad idea. Power Pad ruled and was the advent for DDR.

midgetonadonkey
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I think the Nintendo 64 controller was a lot worse than the Xbox controller.

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I just watched that google video link...

:lmao

What kind of racial tension are they trying to convey? Not only that, did you see the angle the TV was at?

All in all, total cheese.

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
I think the Nintendo 64 controller was a lot worse than the Xbox controller.

I though it was great. Worked well for Mario 64, Zelda, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Mario Kart (the only games that mattered).

The 'Z' button was totally new at the time. M$ ripped it off for both their trigger buttons.

Mixability
08-10-2006, 10:55 AM

:tu

The people who don't like the Duke are the people who have girly hands and you know what they say about people who have girly hands................

They're girls.

:fro

Mixability
08-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Original Xbox = teh suq

Power Glove wasnt bad because it, you know, worked. That would be like saying the Power Pad was bad idea. Power Pad ruled and was the advent for DDR.

The Power Glove worked? I wore it for an hour at first, then took it off and used the dpad on it for a while, until it went it my closet.

Damn, the movie, "The Wizard". I thought the Power Glove would make me cool. :pctoss

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
The Power Glove worked? I wore it for an hour at first, then took it off and used the dpad on it for a while, until it went it my closet.

Damn, the movie, "The Wizard". I thought the Power Glove would make me cool. :pctoss

Exactly. That shit did not work.

Mixability
08-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Original Xbox = teh suq

Maybe just the controller for the "baby handed" individuals, but the console was top notch.

tlongII
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Steve Javie

ShoogarBear
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Steve JavieThis is the only post in the entire thread that I understood.

SpursWoman
08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
This is the only post in the entire thread that I understood.

Me, too.

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Maybe just the controller for the "baby handed" individuals, but the console was top notch.

Oh SNAP! Oh no you didnt!

CharlieMac
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, that gameboy camera was pretty sweet in 1998.

Alright, not even I'm buying that, I can't believe I paid for that.

DarkReign
08-10-2006, 01:14 PM
the glove worked on top gun and karnov and that was about it

Karnov, you know, I never did beat that game. One of the few...

Mixability
08-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Karnov, you know, I never did beat that game. One of the few...

I always regret not finishing the old school games I had.

Thats probably why before I got my 360, I made it a point to try and finish all the regular xbox games I had.

jman3000
08-10-2006, 05:09 PM
I prefer the original "fatty" x-box controller. I have large hands and it grips better for me... i also don't like the odd placement of the white and black buttons on the newer model.

dirk4mvp
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
The Gamecube controller is just plain shitty.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I am assuming the author of that article has never tried to play a football game on the Game Cube controller....

ALVAREZ6
08-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Game Cube is a universal given, that's why he didn't mention it.

dirk4mvp
08-10-2006, 09:42 PM
It's plain garbage. The c-stick sux, the shoulder buttons sux, it just sux. I hated playing Kobe Bryant courtside on it. :madrun

leemajors
08-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Game Cube is a universal given, that's why he didn't mention it.

it was perfect for mario 64 (one of the best games ever), goldeneye(also incredible), conker, zelda and many others. not the best sports controller except for mario kart.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-10-2006, 09:56 PM
it was perfect for mario 64 (one of the best games ever), goldeneye(also incredible), conker, zelda and many others. not the best sports controller except for mario kart.

You are talking N64 controller; that was a bad controller but good for the games you mentioned. We were talking Game Cube controller, ie the controller where its impossible not to inadvertantly press the oversized A button which switches your man in football games and is pretty much useless in an emergency situation.

dirk4mvp
08-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Super Smash Bros. Melee works pretty good for the Gamecube controller

ALVAREZ6
08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
N64 had great controllers, I loved them, most of the people I know did too. Even though they look really messed up, they are pretty good.

MY favorite control has to be the PS2. Dreamcast had really good controllers, before the system's downfall.

dirk4mvp
08-10-2006, 10:01 PM
n64 controller was average. There was no way to hold the d-pad and analog stick at the same time without not being able to touch the face buttons.

ALVAREZ6
08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
n64 controller was average. There was no way to hold the d-pad and analog stick at the same time without not being able to touch the face buttons.
But you rarely ever needed to.

dirk4mvp
08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Ya, but if you did, you were screwed. Take Pokemon Stadium for example (yeah, I loved that game :oops ). Some of the minigames called for it. Like the Ekans ring toss.

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Ya, but if you did, you were screwed. Take Pokemon Stadium for example (yeah, I loved that game :oops ). Some of the minigames called for it. Like the Ekans ring toss.

:nerd alert

Mixability
08-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Nintendo is always trying to push the envelope when it comes to controllers, hopefully the nunchuck controller with the Wii works well.

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Nintendo is always trying to push the envelope when it comes to controllers, hopefully the nunchuck controller with the Wii works well.

Judging by previous Nintendo innovations, I dont give this new controller much chance at all.

Sometimes Nintendo goes too far. People have already commented on the form and function of the new controller on some sword-fighting game that will be out at launch of Wii.

I didnt buy a Gamecube and I wont be buying a Wii. I am not a fool for graphics, but Nintendo's stubborn approach to American gamers baffles me to no end. 360 and PS3 will have visual capabilities that will rival PCs, yet Wii will have a slighty better capability than Gamecube. Yet they try and sell this stupid controller.

Nintendo has been populated by snobs. "You dont need competitive graphics, you need innovative function." Personally, fire the asshole giving them advice on American gamers.

The only reason the 360 is selling is because of its good graphics and its online service. Thats it, because I own one, and the games (while they do look great) completely suck save a handful.

CuckingFunt
08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Only reason I'd even consider buying a Wii is if Nintendo follows through on the promise to make the first party games from all past Nintendo consoles available for download.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2006, 10:27 AM
:nerd alert

Why? Because when I was 9 I liked Pokemon Stadium?

Mixability
08-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Judging by previous Nintendo innovations, I dont give this new controller much chance at all.

Sometimes Nintendo goes too far. People have already commented on the form and function of the new controller on some sword-fighting game that will be out at launch of Wii.

I didnt buy a Gamecube and I wont be buying a Wii. I am not a fool for graphics, but Nintendo's stubborn approach to American gamers baffles me to no end. 360 and PS3 will have visual capabilities that will rival PCs, yet Wii will have a slighty better capability than Gamecube. Yet they try and sell this stupid controller.

Nintendo has been populated by snobs. "You dont need competitive graphics, you need innovative function." Personally, fire the asshole giving them advice on American gamers.

The only reason the 360 is selling is because of its good graphics and its online service. Thats it, because I own one, and the games (while they do look great) completely suck save a handful.

The Nintendo console is usually made for kids, which there's still a market for. There will be a new Mario game, a new Zelda, a new Metroid, which basically everyone will want to see. Thats basically the only reason I buy a Nintendo console anymore, for the next installment of these classics. But if they're ruined by a weird/innovative controller then Nintendo better be ready for the backlash.

The 360 only has a handful of games anyway and I wouldn't say most of them suck. Which games do you think suck?

Even though the PS3 is rumored to be in the extremely high price range, I'm still getting one on launch, mainly because they'll have exclusive titles not available on the 360. Same goes for the Wii with the addition of me wanting to play some old classics against people online.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
PS3 is very expensive. $500 for the 20gb and $600 for the 60gb. But it's got a built-in blu-ray player, so it's worth it for me. And the online service costs nothing.

Mixability
08-11-2006, 10:38 AM
PS3 is very expensive. $500 for the 20gb and $600 for the 60gb. But it's got a built-in blu-ray player, so it's worth it for me. And the online service costs nothing.

I don't know how the blu-ray is gonna work out for them, based on past history(betamax/minidisc/umd), but the games should be worth it(killzone/metal gear/tekken)

Duff McCartney
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM

I love it.

Agreed.

And I agree about the Power Glove..I remember watching The Wizard and being all enamored by the Power Glove. They made it seem like if you moved your arm it would move what was on the screen. Boy was I disappointed when I played with it at my friends house.

What a waste.

DirkAB
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
PS2 has the best contollers ever.

leemajors
08-11-2006, 12:15 PM

i am the opposite, i really like nintendo games and will continue to buy their consoles. gamecube may have been a tad disappointing, but they did amazing things with the console - mario sunshine sucked, but zelda: wind waker was one of the better games i have ever played - the cell shaded graphics ran ridiculously smooth and looked incredible. metroid prime 1 and 2 were both awesome and never slowed down a bit. i don't want a console that rivals the graphics on my pc, i have a pc to play games with groundbreaking graphics and i can buy a new processor and new graphics card for way less than a ps3 will cost - plus i already have 350 GB of hdd space. i think nintendo is doing the right thing, focusing more on the games themselves than the actual hardware. basically i guess i am a nintendo homer, i will buy their new console just to play new mario, zelda and metroid games. i also bought a ds, and it is awesome. the mario kart game is great, the new castlevania was great, and new super mario bros has everything good from all the old mario games with a few new twists.

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
The Nintendo console is usually made for kids, which there's still a market for. There will be a new Mario game, a new Zelda, a new Metroid, which basically everyone will want to see. Thats basically the only reason I buy a Nintendo console anymore, for the next installment of these classics. But if they're ruined by a weird/innovative controller then Nintendo better be ready for the backlash.

I will admit, I am usually bummed when a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid get released. I get all misty knowing I wont be able to play them.

The 360 only has a handful of games anyway and I wouldn't say most of them suck. Which games do you think suck?

I am not exaggerating with this list when I say these are all games that I have owned, played at length and have either forgotten about or returned/traded in. (Basically, all the games that suck, IMO)

LotR (rts game, I bought it for PC, big mistake)
Dead Rising (the save and scoop system broke the game for me)
Prey (got it for PC, blows)
Dead or Alive 4 (seems this game always makes the launch of new systems, blows)
Perfect Dark (really blows, the combat doesnt feel right)
NBA 2k6 (omg, soooo fucking blows...cant even begin...)
Hitman: Blood Money (just didnt offer the free-form I was expecting)
Over G Fighters (got old waaaay too fast, cool at first though)
Tomb Raider: Legend (good game! if it werent so damn easy and linear)
Top Spin 2 (stupid, stupid save system...broke the game for me)
The Outfit (put it this way, Mercenaries for Xbox was better)
Gun (bwa-hahahahahaaaa)
Madden-anything (will always suck...sorry fan boys)

The good games are few and far between. Fight Night 3 owns. I got Oblivion for PC, owns. GRAW is awesome.

Dont get me wrong, some serious are in development (Crackdown, Saints Row, Huxley (for me on PC), Gears of War, Fable 2, Mass Effect, etc) but nearly all these games are due in 2007.

That sucks.

Even though the PS3 is rumored to be in the extremely high price range, I'm still getting one on launch, mainly because they'll have exclusive titles not available on the 360. Same goes for the Wii with the addition of me wanting to play some old classics against people online.

PS3 will most certainly be awesome, but I will do just as I did with 360...wait.

Wii...meh, another "Wait till it drops to $150" scenario.

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 12:29 PM
i am the opposite, i really like nintendo games and will continue to buy their consoles. gamecube may have been a tad disappointing, but they did amazing things with the console - mario sunshine sucked, but zelda: wind waker was one of the better games i have ever played - the cell shaded graphics ran ridiculously smooth and looked incredible. metroid prime 1 and 2 were both awesome and never slowed down a bit. i don't want a console that rivals the graphics on my pc, i have a pc to play games with groundbreaking graphics and i can buy a new processor and new graphics card for way less than a ps3 will cost - plus i already have 350 GB of hdd space. i think nintendo is doing the right thing, focusing more on the games themselves than the actual hardware. basically i guess i am a nintendo homer, i will buy their new console just to play new mario, zelda and metroid games. i also bought a ds, and it is awesome. the mario kart game is great, the new castlevania was great, and new super mario bros has everything good from all the old mario games with a few new twists.

Hey, to each's own. I was a Nintendo fan boy my whole adolescent life. SEGA sucked, yada yada yada. But when the Playstation came out, then Xbox, then PS2 and then....Gamecube? With that ridiculous controller? Meh, I couldnt defend it anymore. I borrwoed my neighbors Gamecube for 72 hours to play Metroid Prime (the 1st one for GC). Awesome game. Im sure Zelda rocks too.

Actually, Im pretty sure Zelda was probably nothing short of amazing and unique. But an entire system because of 3 games?

Cant justify it. Its my little stand against Nintendo and its snobbery. Theyre basically saying "No, we will not compete with M$ and Sony in the same way they are. We are going to make a technologically inferior console with unique controls so that when we sell a unit, we make money. Unlike the M$ and SOny model that they lose $$ every time their console sells."

Thats great Nintendo. Have fun selling your system in Japan and to 14 year old girls (no offense to you, I mean that, its just a point). They seem to forget that the people who grew up playing Nintendo are 24-35 years old now. Playing with princesses and talking mushrooms doesnt exactly get the pallete wet like a GTA does. We are older now. We spend more money on video games than we do movies (first time ever). If you want a slice of that pie, you need to grow up too.

I own a DS as well. Its is really good, but really has no bearing on their console market share. I personally like PSP better, except for loading times....God, the loading times.....

Mixability
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I will admit, I am usually bummed when a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid get released. I get all misty knowing I wont be able to play them.

I am not exaggerating with this list when I say these are all games that I have owned, played at length and have either forgotten about or returned/traded in. (Basically, all the games that suck, IMO)

LotR (rts game, I bought it for PC, big mistake)
Dead Rising (the save and scoop system broke the game for me)
Prey (got it for PC, blows)
Dead or Alive 4 (seems this game always makes the launch of new systems, blows)
Perfect Dark (really blows, the combat doesnt feel right)
NBA 2k6 (omg, soooo fucking blows...cant even begin...)
Hitman: Blood Money (just didnt offer the free-form I was expecting)
Over G Fighters (got old waaaay too fast, cool at first though)
Tomb Raider: Legend (good game! if it werent so damn easy and linear)
Top Spin 2 (stupid, stupid save system...broke the game for me)
The Outfit (put it this way, Mercenaries for Xbox was better)
Gun (bwa-hahahahahaaaa)
Madden-anything (will always suck...sorry fan boys)

The good games are few and far between. Fight Night 3 owns. I got Oblivion for PC, owns. GRAW is awesome.

Dont get me wrong, some serious are in development (Crackdown, Saints Row, Huxley (for me on PC), Gears of War, Fable 2, Mass Effect, etc) but nearly all these games are due in 2007.

That sucks.

PS3 will most certainly be awesome, but I will do just as I did with 360...wait.

Wii...meh, another "Wait till it drops to $150" scenario.

Wow talk about being a game snob..... :angel :lol

A few of those sucky games are actually pretty good to me, to each his own. If those suck to you though, then the PS3 won't do any better. 2k6? Madden? You're missing out, but you probably don't care or even know that you're missing out. Ghost Recon we agree on, awesome game. The good games usually come out a year or so after launch and go upward in innovation after that, so that's what my 360 is, an investment in the future, hopefully developers fullfill their end of the deal.

You have alot of patience when it comes to consoles. Me on the other hand, HAVE to have them on launch. :fro

Mixability
08-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Cant justify it. Its my little stand against Nintendo and its snobbery. Theyre basically saying "No, we will not compete with M$ and Sony in the same way they are. We are going to make a technologically inferior console with unique controls so that when we sell a unit, we make money. Unlike the M$ and SOny model that they lose $$ every time their console sells."

Yeah, the endless Mario/Donkey Kong/Pokemon kiddie sequels got old fast. But the Wii will still be part of my collection, regardless.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-11-2006, 12:50 PM
If there's anybody who would like me to help with discussion of the Xbox360, I could use one.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Do you all think Gears of War will live up to the hype it's been getting?

dirk4mvp
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah, the endless Mario/Donkey Kong/Pokemon kiddie sequels got old fast. But the Wii will still be part of my collection, regardless.

If I have the extra money, I'd get one. But I'd really only be interested in playing The new Zelda and Super Smash Bros. with Solid Snake in it.

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Wow talk about being a game snob..... :angel :lol

hehehehe...

A few of those sucky games are actually pretty good to me, to each his own. If those suck to you though, then the PS3 won't do any better. 2k6? Madden? You're missing out, but you probably don't care or even know that you're missing out.

I have played them all at length, even Madden. I hate Madden. 2k series was always better, but peeps cant get over the Tough-actin Tenactin fool.

Ghost Recon we agree on, awesome game. The good games usually come out a year or so after launch and go upward in innovation after that, so that's what my 360 is, an investment in the future, hopefully developers fullfill their end of the deal.

I never quite looked at it that way, but yeah, makes sense.

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
If there's anybody who would like me to help with discussion of the Xbox360, I could use one.

Huh? What you mean? Seems Danyo and others could help...

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 01:05 PM

In a word...yes. Its going to be very linear (i think), but very stylistic and cool (i think). I have seen much game footage and developer interviews to at least believe that the devs are really trying to impress with this game.

Dont forget, it will be the first game released that was eclusively developed with the Unreal 3 engine (Quake dont count in my book). This will be like a playable demo for other publishers and devs to see what Unreal3 can do, knowing the whole time that it is just the tip of the iceberg.

I long for the day when a game that looks as good and is as gritty as GoW plays like GTA. That day is coming....very slowly, but surely. I cant wait.

leemajors
08-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey, to each's own. I was a Nintendo fan boy my whole adolescent life. SEGA sucked, yada yada yada. But when the Playstation came out, then Xbox, then PS2 and then....Gamecube? With that ridiculous controller? Meh, I couldnt defend it anymore. I borrwoed my neighbors Gamecube for 72 hours to play Metroid Prime (the 1st one for GC). Awesome game. Im sure Zelda rocks too.

Actually, Im pretty sure Zelda was probably nothing short of amazing and unique. But an entire system because of 3 games?

Thats great Nintendo. Have fun selling your system in Japan and to 14 year old girls (no offense to you, I mean that, its just a point). They seem to forget that the people who grew up playing Nintendo are 24-35 years old now. Playing with princesses and talking mushrooms doesnt exactly get the pallete wet like a GTA does. We are older now. We spend more money on video games than we do movies (first time ever). If you want a slice of that pie, you need to grow up too.

I own a DS as well. Its is really good, but really has no bearing on their console market share. I personally like PSP better, except for loading times....God, the loading times.....

you should borrow it again for metroid prime 2, it's even better. there are 2 versions of the planet you are on, light and dark. fewer weapons in general, but different combos of each in each world work better. i really liked the game and can't wait for the next. i suppose i could do emulators and such, but i also like that they are releasing the new zelda on gamecube and wii at the same time. that means i can wait longer to buy a wii because i am broke :/

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 01:17 PM
you should borrow it again for metroid prime 2, it's even better. there are 2 versions of the planet you are on, light and dark. fewer weapons in general, but different combos of each in each world work better. i really liked the game and can't wait for the next. i suppose i could do emulators and such, but i also like that they are releasing the new zelda on gamecube and wii at the same time. that means i can wait longer to buy a wii because i am broke :/

I have to admit, the new Zelda looks amazing. It may just blow me away like Ocarina of Time.

I will never forget Z:OoT. I got it on Thanksgiving day. I played it for 29 hours straight (beat it, no strategy guide). I ate beef jerky and twinkies for Thanksgiving dinner.

leemajors
08-11-2006, 01:20 PM
i also didn't like the original gamecube controller, but thought the wavebird was great. i am also one of the few who thought the ps2 controller sucked ass and was too small. my favorite controller, especially for sports games was probably the sega genesis controller.

Mixability
08-11-2006, 01:23 PM

Too much of the hype might leave people disappointed. I don't go for much of the hype. For example, I didnt buy Halo until about a year after launch, :spin I think it looks pretty good, but since I haven't played it, has anyone played a build for that matter? I can't judge it based on looks, cmon, its not like its a girl. :lol

Mixability
08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
hehehehe...

I have played them all at length, even Madden. I hate Madden. 2k series was always better, but peeps cant get over the Tough-actin Tenactin fool.

I never quite looked at it that way, but yeah, makes sense.

Yeah, I'd prefer the 2k series when it comes to football, but since Madden has the only NFL rights, we have no choice. :depressed

Yeah, we pretty much put our $400 or so in the console makers hands and tell them, "you better make some good games". I feel sorry for the people who invested in the Jaguar though. :lmao

Mixability
08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I have to admit, the new Zelda looks amazing. It may just blow me away like Ocarina of Time.

I will never forget Z:OoT. I got it on Thanksgiving day. I played it for 29 hours straight (beat it, no strategy guide). I ate beef jerky and twinkies for Thanksgiving dinner.

aaahhhh, to be young again. I remember calling in sick when Gran Turismo first came out.

Not that I didn't leave early from work when I have a fresh copy of Call of Duty 2 waiting for me at home. :lol

ChumpDumper
08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm going to go waaaaay back to the beginning of console/cartridge games.

http://www.vidgame.net/fairchild/fairchild/chf_open.jpg

Channel F from Fairchild Semiconductor

It had some decent games but the controller was a weird modified joystick that you could also twist and instead of a "fire" button, you had to press the whole stick down into its mount. If you had a game where you had to fire alot, you ended up looking like you were jerking off a big black dildo.

The controllers didn't last long in the hands of kids, and they were originally hardwired to the console so the whole unit had to go in for repair.