PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry interview on Sports Radio 610 in Houston

George Gervin's Afro
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Robert Horry was interviewed yesterday by Sports Radio 610 and I wanted to pass along a few tidbits.

Question regarding his career:
Very humble and greatful for what he has been able to do for 15 yrs. He said that he originally thought that if he could play in the league 6 yrs that would have been great. He was asked if he was a hall of fame player and Rob responded he wasn't because of his reg. season stats but if there was a post season hall of fame he felt he would be a first ballot guy :lol

On his past with the Rockets:

He said that he thought that if they, the Rockets, were able to stay together they may have won another championship.

On his relationship with the Spurs:

He said that the Spurs are a top notch organization who do things the right way. He mentioned that the Spurs have a great nucleus of the Manu, Tim and Tony and the organization does a great job in surrounding them with the right complimentary parts. He was disappointed that they did not win this year but he expects them to be right there at the end next season. He was asked about how much longer he would play and Rob stated that if they win next year that's it but he sees another 2 yrs maybe. He does think about retirement all of the time.

His remarks on the this year's Finals: Rob thought the Mavs would win.... but as we all know he's glad they didn't. (This was not part of the interview but I still find it hilarious that he stated this publicly).

Ok Pop haters get ready..He said that Miami stayed true to who they were and stayed big. This made the Mavs a jump shooting team and it eventually caught up with the mavs. He went on to say that some teams try and match up with other teams instead of staying with what makes them successful.

He was asked what his biggest post season shot was..... I'm not going to say and see if anyone can guess.

Fabbs
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
He said that Miami stayed true to who they were and stayed big. This made the Mavs a jump shooting team and it eventually caught up with the mavs. He went on to say that some teams try and match up with other teams instead of staying with what makes them successful.

He was asked what his biggest post season shot was..... I'm not going to say and see if anyone can guess.

Don't let the Pop Apologists see that.

I hope he says his biggest shot was vs Detroit Gm 5 Finals when DerrrSheed left him to double Manu and Manu lobbed it back to Big Shot. :madrun :spin

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I think I know. *cough* *game 5* *cough*

T Park
08-11-2006, 12:32 PM
This made the Mavs a jump shooting team

I guess Robert Horry missed the first half of game 7 where the Mavs made pretty much every jump shot in sight, and that jump shots were what won games 3 and 4.

But, the geritol might have gotten in his eye.

furry_spurry
08-11-2006, 02:03 PM
People forget that small ball did not only impact Nazr and Rasho, but in a sense even moreso Rob. No one expected Rasho to play much against Dallas, but most people expected Rob to get more than 16 minutes a game. He's the guy who was not on the court in the fourth quarter when people expected it. Pop decided he would rather guard Dirk with Finley than Rob.

ChumpDumper
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I expected Rob not to suck.

boutons_
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
He did nothing in the season, and less in the playoffs.

I wonder if that will stimulate him to earn his $Ms next season?

Tim may joke that Robert does nothing in the season, but when he does nothing in the playoff, either, who is laughing?

z0sa
08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Rob could have guarded Dirk for stretches. And last I checked, it wasn't a jumpshot that won game 7, it was a layup and 1. Which could have been stopped had we had bigs in and not 6'6 manu flying in to try and do what a Nazr would have done.

celldweller
08-11-2006, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=George Gervin's Afro]Ok Pop haters get ready..He said that Miami stayed true to who they were and stayed big. This made the Mavs a jump shooting team and it eventually caught up with the mavs. He went on to say that some teams try and match up with other teams instead of staying with what makes them successful.
QUOTE]

http://www.stressbuster1.com/pics/nail1.jpg

http://www.my-bingo.org/i/crazygrandmather.jpg
http://www.centerforusmissions.org/UserFiles/Image/prof-photos/SP005344_7-bullseye.jpg
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/34/200px-Jenga.JPG

J-E-N-G-A !!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Ok Pop haters get ready..He said that Miami stayed true to who they were and stayed big. This made the Mavs a jump shooting team and it eventually caught up with the mavs. He went on to say that some teams try and match up with other teams instead of staying with what makes them successful.

What an asshole. All he ever does is bitch about Pop. Who the hell does he think he is? How many games has he won as a coach in the league? How many NBA titles does he ha.... ooops.

I guess Robert Horry missed the first half of game 7 where the Mavs made pretty much every jump shot in sight, and that jump shots were what won games 3 and 4.

The Mavs won games 2,3, and 4 in the lane with layup after layup. Fuck, we made Devin Harris an All-Star for two games with all his wide open layups, same for Jason Fucking Terry.

I guess Pop's cum was in yours.

missmyzte
08-11-2006, 07:15 PM
The one where he was with Houston and he hit that big shot against San Antonio was one he always holds dear because that was his first big post-season game winner.

If he's honest, it's Game 4 2002 WCF against the Kings, but he's a little bitter against the Lakers so he may say Game 5 2005 Finals.

ShoogarBear
08-11-2006, 07:40 PM
History will remember the shot against the Kings and the shot against the Pistons as 1A and 1B. His favorite might be another one, however.

missmyzte
08-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I mentioned the one when he was with Houston against SA, there's the one in the 2001 Finals but the Lakers won in 5 so it wasn't as dire to win that game. There was one in 2002 First round against Portland but that just meant the Lakers swept the Blazers.

I still say 2002 WCF.

CharlieMac
08-11-2006, 10:55 PM

Yeah, I don't think he had as good a view of the game as we did on television from from up in the stands. Jump shots won 3 and 4, too bad it's a 7 game series.

Nikos
08-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Well Horry has a valid point. Spurs lost mainly because they couldn't rebound the ball. That gave Mavs extra possesions to run their already efficient offense. They didn't win because of more depth or more talent at the top -- they won because they exposed the Spurs biggest weakness, weak rebounding as a result of not being able to matchup with Dirk primarily.

Sure small ball and Howard posed problems, but the Spurs posed problems with Duncan and even Ginobili from Game 3-7 on offense. Parker wasn't horrible on offense either. It's not like the Mavs shut down the Spurs whenever they wanted.

Who knows what would have happened if Pop gave Horry or Nazr more minutes. Maybe it would have worked out and the rebounding would have made up for lack of defense?

Obstructed_View
08-15-2006, 05:26 PM

Free throws and rebounds won games 3 and 4 and the trips to the line were earned at the rim.

RandomGuy
08-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I will really hate to see him go, but if anyone has earned a comfortable retirement and the accolades of one's peers, it is Robert.

ALL HAIL BOB!!!!!!