PDA

View Full Version : New Best Starting 5

1Parker1
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
In light of the recent implosion of the Detroit Pistons, I don't think you can say they have the best starting 5 in the NBA anymore.

So which team does?

I think that honor now belongs to...the Pheonix Suns.

Suns
C Stoudemire
PF Marion
SF Diaw
SG Bell
PG Nash

That's a pretty sweet starting 5 right there.

Mavs_man_41
08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
To bad they dont realize run and gun no defense style of play will never win them a championship.

1Parker1
08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
:lmao Mavs didn't realize until last season, either. Besides, Bell, and Marion give them somewhat of a semblance of defense when needed.

texlawman
08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't think you can they are the best until we see proof that Amare is healthy. I reserve judgment.

NBA Junkie
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I'll stick with the Spurs starting 5 regardless of Elson or Butler starting at center.

texlawman
08-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I actually really like the Clippers starting five if Magette is healthy.

1Parker1
08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
True, Clipps have a pretty decent starting 5, forgot about them...

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
In light of the recent implosion of the Detroit Pistons, I don't think you can say they have the best starting 5 in the NBA anymore.

I think the reports of their demise are going to be greatly exaggerated.

CubanMustGo
08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
IF Stoudemire can come back, yes. Otherwise nope.

1Parker1
08-11-2006, 10:34 AM
I think the reports of their demise are going to be greatly exaggerated.

:lol That's what people said after LB left last season...turns out they were right. :angel

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 10:50 AM
:lol That's what people said after LB left last season...turns out they were right. :angel

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there won't be any drop-off, but they didn't implode, they aren't going to be fighting to stay out of the lottery, they won't be lucky to avoid a first round playoff sweep. They had the league high in wins last year, went to their fourth consecutive conference finals, and while their defense took a huge blow, they were able to add to their offense, which is determining more and more of how teams become sucessful in the league. They have just as good of a chance to win their division as Cleveland (which didn't make any upgrades) and Chicago (who did make upgrades, but will they be able to score enough for it to matter?) do, and they still have three guys in their lineups who are in their prime. They have been one of the leagues most consistent teams over the last four years, and that with going three different coaches. They might be hurt and limping, but they are far from dead.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
That all being said, they don't have the best starting five in the league anymore.

NBA Junkie
08-11-2006, 11:03 AM
It's absolutely amazing how a team that wins 64 games is all of a sudden labeled as a has been, yet the 63 win Spurs get knocked out in the second round and nobody even blinks an eye.

Oh, wait. I just forgot what NBA team forum I'm in.

cheguevara
08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
A starting team w/Amare on 1 leg is not Best in NBA

DarkReign
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
It's absolutely amazing how a team that wins 64 games is all of a sudden labeled as a has been, yet the 63 win Spurs get knocked out in the second round and nobody even blinks an eye.

Oh, wait. I just forgot what NBA team forum I'm in.

Bingo. Bango.

JamStone
08-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Yeah, Pistons stunk after LB left.

64 regular season wins is atrocious.

Conference Finalists is unacceptable.

Losing to the eventual NBA champs despicable.

JamStone
08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Phoenix has a strong starting five. It has a nice balance of scoring. Defensively, it still lacks something. Also, the frontline, though athletic, is still smallish.

Corey Maggette still might not start for the Clippers. Tim Thomas might end up starting at small forward. Not a bad line-up either. But, not sure if it's the best starting group.

Spurs are always pretty well-balanced, but the center spot is still very much in question.

Detroit still has a pretty strong starting group, and Nazr might not necessarily start. Pistons might start McDyess at the power forward spot and Rasheed at the center position, alternating defensive assignments. If that's the case, Pistons might still have one of the top starting groups in the league.

As for starting line-ups that might surprise, the Hornets might have a really good line-up with Paul-Mason-Peja-David West-Chandler. For the style of play, that might end up being a very nice starting group. Not, the best, but maybe better than it looks on paper.

Also, as crazy as it sounds, the New York Knicks might have one of the better starting line-ups in the league next year: Marbury-Francis-Jeffries-Frye-Curry.

J.T.
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Pistons were badass last year. I truly hated checking boxscores and seeing that they kept winning so many games. I hadn't felt that way since the Lakers were still on top. I hope they're still a challenging team to play, their starting 5 will still be pretty solid but Mohammed ain't going to replace what Wallace did for them.

Would've rather seen them smash Dallas instead of Miami but Mavs losing to any team is always nice.

himat
08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
You heard it from me. The Pistons are not done. 1Parker1 Ben Wallace just isn't that good that he'll make arguably the best team in the league to a team fighting for the playoffs just because he left.

Not 1 guy is much more important than the other on the Pistons so losing Ben Wallace is not the same as The Lakers losing Shaq.

Anyways Pistons still might have the best starting 5 if they start Mcdyess. If delfino gets some playing time and a couple others step up along with Chauncey, Rip, Tay, and Sheed this team has a chance to be better.

furry_spurry
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
A starting team w/Amare on 1 leg is not Best in NBA
A starting team with Elson is not Best in NBA.

tlongII
08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
The Blazers will have the best starting 5 in the NBA 3 years from now.

Leetonidas
08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
What about NO?

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Desmond Mason
C: Tyson Chandler
PF: David West
SF: Peja Stojakovic

Looks pretty good, but not the best. I agree that PHO has the best on paper though.

Leetonidas
08-11-2006, 02:24 PM

What if the other four players were LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Nash?

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Looks pretty good, but not the best. I agree that PHO has the best on paper though.

And the Pistons had the best on paper for the last two years, and they didn't win shit. the best starting five is a great thing to have, but it guarantees you nothing.

sickdsm
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Pistons stunk after LB left.

64 regular season wins is atrocious.

Losing to the eventual NBA champs despicable.

People didn't say that they would only win 30 games. They said they would lose that defensive aggresivness later on in the year when it mattered.

Now Piston Fans want to ignore the best defensive player in the leuge the past 5 years?

1Parker1
08-11-2006, 03:37 PM
People didn't say that they would only win 30 games. They said they would lose that defensive aggresivness later on in the year when it mattered.

Now Piston Fans want to ignore the best defensive player in the leuge the past 5 years?

:tu Exactly. I'm not saying that the Pistons are gonna be a lottery team or anything. I just don't think they'll be able to make it back to the Finals without Ben Wallace.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Not going back to the NBA Finals = Implosion

Now that I got it straight, and am delighted that the Pistons got rid of Ben Whathisname, who I guess played for them recently, this debate should be over. I guess its funny that the Pistons, who lost their championship winning coach last year, and lost their best defensive presence this year are going to have to do some tinkering with their formula for sucess because of this change are considered to be imploding, while a team with three NBA rings, who hasn't lost any significant contributors on the floor, or on the bench, lost a game seven, at home, to a team that a lot of basketball fans considered soft. I guess its just something that is kind of funny I guess.

Question: If you were a gm, and had the cap space, and had the oppurtunity to match the contract Chicago offered Ben Wallace, the entire thing, would you have matched it?

I know from what I saw this past year, there is not a chance in hell I would've done so.

cheguevara
08-11-2006, 04:00 PM

noone said Spurs have best starting 5. They never did.

sickdsm
08-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Not going back to the NBA Finals = Implosion

Now that I got it straight, and am delighted that the Pistons got rid of Ben Whathisname, who I guess played for them recently, this debate should be over. I guess its funny that the Pistons, who lost their championship winning coach last year, and lost their best defensive presence this year are going to have to do some tinkering with their formula for sucess because of this change are considered to be imploding, while a team with three NBA rings, who hasn't lost any significant contributors on the floor, or on the bench, lost a game seven, at home, to a team that a lot of basketball fans considered soft. I guess its just something that is kind of funny I guess.

Question: If you were a gm, and had the cap space, and had the oppurtunity to match the contract Chicago offered Ben Wallace, the entire thing, would you have matched it?

I know from what I saw this past year, there is not a chance in hell I would've done so.

I'm not backing up the spurs, they were a huge dissapointment. They got "refuled" in a big way after winning a ring and choked. The pistons meanwhile last year "imploded" by getting better on paper but failing to meet expectations. Typicall Flip, which most Piston fans denied similar to the contributions a key player makes after he is gone. Go ahead and point out that the heat won it all but the Pistons struggled mightily with LeBron and trash. Not the cavaliers, Lebron james and trash around him just about beat a so called title contender that allededgely improved.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
noone said Spurs have best starting 5. They never did.

that is not what I'm saying, but to look at Pistons and call it imploding, come on, they made some changes, and I will bet their will be a dropoff, but they aren't imploding. I guess I'm saying that if my team, who was the defending champs, went out and finished they way the Spurs did, I wouldnt give a shit about what a team from another conference was doing, I would be more concerned with my team, and how no matter what they do in the regular season, they will still have that albatross hanging from their necks come next April.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not backing up the spurs, they were a huge dissapointment. They got "refuled" in a big way after winning a ring and choked. The pistons meanwhile last year "imploded" by getting better on paper but failing to meet expectations. Typicall Flip, which most Piston fans denied similar to the contributions a key player makes after he is gone. Go ahead and point out that the heat won it all but the Pistons struggled mightily with LeBron and trash. Not the cavaliers, Lebron james and trash around him just about beat a so called title contender that allededgely improved.

Everyone thought the addition of Michael Finley was great on paper, and then the Spurs failed to meet expectations as well. I guess that is an implosion then. Everyone knew the Pistons weren't going to be judged until the playoffs, and that Flip has a horrible record in the playoffs. Truth be told, I think the Pistons got caught into thinking they were better than they actually were, and that everyone would just step aside in the Eastern Conference, and they got as rude awakening by teams who wanted to take some of their luster away from them. For the record, I do not see the Pistons in the NBA Finals this year, but, every team in the East has some potetially major faults that could show up in April, so they are not to be counted out, thats for sure.

Bob Lanier
08-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Very true.

It's clearly the Suns.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
detroit has the best starting 5..we lost ben and gained more offence with flip and we still have 3 all stars starting, more bench power just makes us that much better

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Very true.

It's clearly the Suns.
:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 04:46 PM
detroit has the best starting 5..we lost ben and gained more offence with flip and we still have 3 all stars starting, more bench power just makes us that much better
Yeah Right. So when Chauncey leaves you're gonna get bench power and still have the best starting 5? Who are you gonna sign? Bibby?

Leetonidas
08-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Everyone thought the addition of Michael Finley was great on paper, and then the Spurs failed to meet expectations as well. I guess that is an implosion then.

Michael Finley performed very well for the Spurs so I don't know where you're getting that from. The WCSF could've gone either way. It's not like the spanking the Pistons got from Miami

Rip-Hamilton32
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah Right. So when Chauncey leaves you're gonna get bench power and still have the best starting 5? Who are you gonna sign? Bibby?

so when tim retires..and manu get tired of flopping what are you gonna do? hop ship just like bob lanier did when we lost ben..besides billups will re-sign

Leetonidas
08-11-2006, 04:55 PM
so when tim retires..and manu get tired of flopping what are you gonna do? hop ship just like bob lanier did when we lost ben..besides billups will re-sign

What? :wtf

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 05:06 PM
First off we have like 3-5 years to worry about Tim and Manu retiring, we'll just keep stealing European prospects that nobody knows about such as Manu and Tony, and we'll be fine. David Robinson retired and in 2 years we were back on top. We already got some good big European players to take the team after Tim retires and we have a lot of time to develop a guard. The Pistons need to get to steppin because they only have 1 year to get back their best player or get someone to replace him. The Pistons are declining and then Chauncey's gonna leave because he wants another ring and he for sure as hell isn't gonna get it there, then Rip, and the only reason you're gonna keep Tayshaun is because you signed him to the extension instead of Wallace when Prince could've gone and you could've gotten Harrington, Stojakovic, hell even Bonzi. So the Spurs have plenty of time to prepare for life after Tim and Manu but as for the Pistons, they lost their star center and now they are gonna lose their best player, so good luck!

mabber
08-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Best starting 5 has to be Dallas. They are the only team that gives us trouble (now that Detroit is out of the picture).

No, Dallas' strength is their depth and their ability to play different styles very well. Only about 3 of their 5 starters are on the court when the game is on the line.

I'd have to go with Phoenix if Amare is playing ok.

midgetonadonkey
08-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Anyways Pistons still might have the best starting 5 if they start Mcdyess. If delfino gets some playing time and a couple others step up along with Chauncey, Rip, Tay, and Sheed this team has a chance to be better.

Wishful thinking.

NBA Junkie
08-11-2006, 05:50 PM
:tu Exactly. I'm not saying that the Pistons are gonna be a lottery team or anything. I just don't think they'll be able to make it back to the Finals without Ben Wallace.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

The East is still weak enough where the Pistons could easily make it back. The Heat are defending champs, 'tis true, but they're not getting any younger. The Bulls are improved with big Ben, but not enough to put them over the top. The Nets? Please. Kidd is aging fast, Carter can't play defense. The Cavaliers still have LeBron and not much else. Forget Washington as they're the worst defensive team of any of the playoff teams in the East. Milwaukeee and Toronto will be improved, but they're still a few years away from being taken seriously as playoff threats.

The Pistons still have a weak bench and defensive rebounding will fall off some due to Ben's absence, but they're still a force to be reckoned with. That is, if Billups, 'Sheed and Rip can turn in better playoff performances than they did this past postseason.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 05:58 PM
First of all, the Pistons no longer have the best starting five in the league. Okay, now that the Pistons window of oppurtunity has been closing b/c Chauncey is GUARANTEED to leave after next year, b/c Joe Dumars didn't think ahead when Chiacago made that offer to Ben Wallace that it is either a great defensive pressence who has no offensive game to speak of, and is starting the downside of his career, or a clutch NBA Finals MVP, who actually makes his free throws and is very hard to match up, and is three years younger than the big man to choose from. I loved the way Ben Wallace played the game, I loved his heart and passion, but if finances dictated I could only keep one, I would keep Billups. Plus as long as Danny Ainge is in charge of a team, Joe Dumars will be able to get all-star caliber big men for next to nothing.

BTW, the Spurs are a great team and will be so for the next five years or so, but my point of contention is that a loss like they had in this past years playoffs just doesn't go away, Dallas knows they can beat them, at any time, no matter what is on the line, they lost their air of invincibility, and that never comes back, so while Spurs fans can talk up Detroit's problems, they should realize everyhting with the Spurs isn't quite gravy.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Michael Finley performed very well for the Spurs so I don't know where you're getting that from. The WCSF could've gone either way. It's not like the spanking the Pistons got from Miami

Yeah, he played well, but you still lost in the second round, everyone thought that Spurs got a ton better, and coming off a championship, were a lot of people's pick to win it all again, but they didn't meet those expectations, so if the Pistons failed to meet expectations, and it is called an implosion, what is it when the Spurs failed to meet them?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah, he played well, but you still lost in the second round, everyone thought that Spurs got a ton better, and coming off a championship, were a lot of people's pick to win it all again, but they didn't meet those expectations, so if the Pistons failed to meet expectations, and it is called an implosion, what is it when the Spurs failed to meet them?
It ain't as bad when the Spurs lose because they don't lose any star players.

NBA Junkie
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't see Chauncey leaving Detroit. Period.

Leetonidas
08-11-2006, 06:18 PM

The Pistons had problems within themselves, the Spurs didn't. It could've gone either way, and it should've been the WCF if not for the stupid seeding. Miami spanked Detroit, while Dallas barely beat us. That's the difference.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
The Pistons had problems within themselves, the Spurs didn't. It could've gone either way, and it should've been the WCF if not for the stupid seeding. Miami spanked Detroit, while Dallas barely beat us. That's the difference.

Expectations not met are still expectations not met. Dallas still beat you, on your home court in game seven, a team some compared to Charmin still beat you. The Pistons have their problems for sure, and yes they are greater than the Spurs losing their invincibiltiy, but don't think the Pistons are dead, they play the best when no one expects anything from them.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Expectations not met are still expectations not met. Dallas still beat you, on your home court in game seven, a team some compared to Charmin still beat you. The Pistons have their problems for sure, and yes they are greater than the Spurs losing their invincibiltiy, but don't think the Pistons are dead, they play the best when no one expects anything from them.
So are you saying they will go farther WITHOUT Ben???

Leetonidas
08-11-2006, 06:34 PM

I never said they were dead. I was just defending the Spurs when you said because the Pistons imploded the Spurs must have too, when they didn't.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
So are you saying they will go farther WITHOUT Ben???

No, they were set up to fail last year after the regular season they had, this year there will be a lot more "experts" picking Chicago or Cleveland over them, while Detroit will be expected to be a 4-5 seed in the East, and not a real factor for the Eastern Conference Championship. They will play looser and less burdened than this year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-11-2006, 06:39 PM
No, they were set up to fail last year after the regular season they had, this year there will be a lot more "experts" picking Chicago or Cleveland over them, while Detroit will be expected to be a 4-5 seed in the East, and not a real factor for the Eastern Conference Championship. They will play looser and less burdened than this year.
So you're depending on analysts to say that they won't make to the finals so they will?

mabber
08-11-2006, 06:52 PM

I think the Pistons still have a good chance in the east. The east is just one Shaq injury (or Shaq not caring as much) from being wide open. As good as Wade is, he still needs Shaq to win that conference. If Shaq & Wade are healthy and playing well, then I don't see anyone beating them though.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 06:56 PM
So you're depending on analysts to say that they won't make to the finals so they will?

No, last year anything less than a title was going to be failure just b/c of they way they played during the regular season, and if you go back and read what I posted earlier, I said I DON'T THINK THE PISOTNS ARE GOING TO GO TO THE NBA FINALS, but that can change depending if any of the teams in the East blow up.

so, am I saying the Pistons are going back to the Finals b/c the other East teams are going to run into problems? NO! All I am saying is that the Pistons still have a dog in the fight and they are from being past their prime.

Vizzini
08-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I never said they were dead. I was just defending the Spurs when you said because the Pistons imploded the Spurs must have too, when they didn't.

No I said the Pistons didn't implode, and used the Spurs as an example, and I stated that if the Pistons imploded, then the Spurs must've too, but I don't think either team imploded and had a major meltdown of epic proportions, just that they both ran into problems, with the Pistons running into greater ones at that.

Supergirl
08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Hmm, for best starting 5 (which is not, of course, the same thing as the best team, or the team I think will win the championship), I think the contenders are the Suns, the Clips, the Mavs, and the Heat.

Comparing...
Nash>Cassell>Terry>J Will. Suns lead
Amare>Brand>Nowitzki>Haslem. Suns lead still, Clips right behind them
Shaq>Kaman>Dampier>Thomas. Heat jump in, Clips now making a strong showing
Wade>just about anyone else, on any team
Marion>Howard>Walker>Maggette

Suns have it in 3 out of 5 spots, Clips have it in 2 out of 5. Heat have it in 2 out of 5 spots. I give it to the Suns for best starting 5.

But, Spurs can still beat all these teams, cause they're the best defensive team and the most experienced, and one of the deepest.

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-11-2006, 07:58 PM
The best starting 5 in the nba are the miami heat,just looking at their starting lineup you can see how deep and talented they are.they have everything to be honest.and the best part is the great pat riley has made them a TEAM.everyone is playing their own parts.but like i said they have everything:

DOMINANT PRESENCE INSIDE:shaq
SLASHERS:flash
CLUTCH:flash
3POINTERS:toine,j-will
MULTIPLE SCORERS:toine,flash
PLAYMAKERS:j-will,flash
REBOUNDING:shaq,haslem,toine and even wade
DEFENSE:haslem(the rest is on the bench)
HUSTLE:haslem,flash

Sense
08-11-2006, 08:29 PM

So which team does?

Suns
C Stoudemire
PF Marion
SF Diaw
SG Bell
PG Nash

All of you overrate bell too fuckin much..

The guy's not good.

Axl Van Dam
08-11-2006, 08:57 PM
To bad they dont realize run and gun no defense style of play will never win them a championship.
:tu Amen to that!! :tu

NBA Junkie
08-11-2006, 09:06 PM
All of you overrate bell too fuckin much..

The guy's not good.

Good enough to take Kobe out of his style of play after that game 5 clothesline. Threw him off his game so much that Kobe was a non-factor in the Suns game 7 blowout win.

Let's not forget the clutch 3-pointer he hit in game 5 against the Clippers that enabled the Suns to advance.

East Coast Babe
08-12-2006, 02:56 AM
No matter how good the Suns look on paper, I just don't think they will win the west. No defense-no win. Dallas didn't win either until they added defense. Spurs are still strong and Clips are making a big run for things. Hornets are interesting to say the least! The west has a lot of options. We'll see who comes out on top. In the east, it could be Miami, but then Pistons may still be okay after Ben's loss. Everyone else that started is still there. I'd say we still stand a decent chance. The other team is Cleveland. If LeBron can put things together, maybe. But I am still not convinced about him. Think Wade is better. JMO.

Mavs_man_41
08-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Prediction: 2007 Western Conference Finals: Mavs vs Spurs

mabber
08-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Hmm, for best starting 5 (which is not, of course, the same thing as the best team, or the team I think will win the championship), I think the contenders are the Suns, the Clips, the Mavs, and the Heat.

Comparing...

Suns have it in 3 out of 5 spots, Clips have it in 2 out of 5. Heat have it in 2 out of 5 spots. I give it to the Suns for best starting 5.

But, Spurs can still beat all these teams, cause they're the best defensive team and the most experienced, and one of the deepest.

Yeah right...Amare & Brand are better than Dirk :lol Every GM and coach in the NBA would take Dirk over those guys. I would think that they'd take Brand over Amare considering the seriousness of his injury.

texlawman
08-12-2006, 01:14 PM

I don't agree with your rankings. Your players are out of position and some will not start or are not mentioned.
PG: Nash>Cassell>Harris>J Will.
SG: Wade>Terry>Mobley>Bell.
SF:Howard>Diaw>Maggette (Thomas)>Walker
PF:Nowitzki>Brand>Marion>Haslem
C: Amare>Kaman>Shaq>Dampier

These rankings are based on who I would want today. Only one I debated about was flipping Diaw with Howard. Went with Howard only because Diaw has only done it for one year. Debatable for sure.

The way I see it:
1. Miami has the worst starting five, but the best player.
2. Dallas is probably third.
3. Clippers and Suns are close. If Amare is healthy I say Suns, if not I'd go with Clipps.

ALVAREZ6
08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Prediction: 2007 Western Conference Finals: Mavs vs Spurs
:tu

Only this time, there will be a different outcome.

JealousOnesNV
08-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Good enough to take Kobe out of his style of play after that game 5 clothesline. Threw him off his game so much that Kobe was a non-factor in the Suns game 7 blowout win.

Let's not forget the clutch 3-pointer he hit in game 5 against the Clippers that enabled the Suns to advance.
23 points in the first half. Yep Kobe was a non factor :rolleyes . Lakers were still down 60 to 45 at the half. Kobe's squad was a non factor.....Odom 5 of 14,Parker 4 of 13,Brown 2 of 10. They shot 35% as a team and Kobe shot 50%. He coulda kept shooting and scored 50 and the Lakers still woulda lost the game. Now I like Bell, but can he shut down Kobe, did he shut down Kobe? No

jacobdrj
08-12-2006, 09:22 PM

Comparing...

Dissagree on the PF end:
Brand=Dirk>Amare>Haslem

Thats only 2/5 now, tied for the Heat...

And when the Pistons were given the BS title: 'Best Starting Five' it wasn't because any individual was the best at their position remember.

Really it doesn't matter: Pistons won in '04 as much because of their bench as their starters. Best starting 5 is meaningless. Deep teams with good starting 5's win.

Mavs_man_41
08-13-2006, 04:06 AM
I dont know where this guy gets Amare and Brand being better than Dirk. Amare is still raw talent, you take away his explosiveness and he doesnt have much left. He is too one-demensional. I'd say Dirk and Brand are equal, because Dirk's offense is better, but brands defense and rebounding are better.

furry_spurry
08-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Nesterovic
Bosh
Peterson
Parker
Ford

:D

PaceMonster
08-13-2006, 07:33 AM

I don't agree with your rankings. Your players are out of position and some will not start or are not mentioned.
PG: Nash>Cassell>Harris>J Will.
SG: Wade>Terry>Mobley>Bell.
SF:Howard>Diaw>Maggette (Thomas)>Walker
PF:Nowitzki>Brand>Marion>Haslem
C: Amare>Kaman>Shaq>Dampier

These rankings are based on who I would want today. Only one I debated about was flipping Diaw with Howard. Went with Howard only because Diaw has only done it for one year. Debatable for sure.

The way I see it:
1. Miami has the worst starting five, but the best player.
2. Dallas is probably third.
3. Clippers and Suns are close. If Amare is healthy I say Suns, if not I'd go with Clipps.

you are officially the biggest retard on spurstalk...amare and KAMAN!!!!!!!!! in front of shaq....i think you should just get banned right there...im sorry JMO

NBA Junkie
08-13-2006, 10:11 AM
23 points in the first half. Yep Kobe was a non factor :rolleyes . Lakers were still down 60 to 45 at the half. Kobe's squad was a non factor.....Odom 5 of 14,Parker 4 of 13,Brown 2 of 10. They shot 35% as a team and Kobe shot 50%. He coulda kept shooting and scored 50 and the Lakers still woulda lost the game. Now I like Bell, but can he shut down Kobe, did he shut down Kobe? No

How do excuse his poor play in the second half of that game? I'll tell you, he quit on his team. Yeah, a point fingers at his teammates when the going gets rough is the kind of player I'd want on my team. :rolleyes

Bell sent Kobe a message with that clothesline and got into his head. I'm not idiotic enough to suggest that Bell is a Kobe stopper. That distinction belongs to Ruben Patterson. :lol

jacobdrj
08-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Please use the correct nickname when invoking the name of Ruben "The Nanny Raper" Patterson...

texlawman
08-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Shaq is an old man and a shadow of his former self. If you want to give me Shaq when he was 30 then I would easily take him over Amare and Kaman. Today, I'd much rather have Kaman than Shaq at 34. It's pretty sad when the Mavericks pedestrian center rotation outplay him more than once in the finals. Take off the rose colored glasses heat fan.

Sacramental
08-14-2006, 04:56 AM
starting 5's mean nothing, ask the kings or the pistons. At the start of last season, people were saying the Kings had the best starting 5...but no bench and they struggled. same with pistons, they went as far as they can go on 10 legs...

Sense
08-14-2006, 05:22 AM

Threw him off? Hell yeah, but I know Kobe laughed at it and thought of the envy and jealousy Bell had toward him at the point since it wasnt expected.

Kobe wasn't going to win that series and we all knew it, it's not a one man team.. it had nothin to do with Bell...

a clutch 3 pointer...

Everything was fallin for the Suns behind the arc.. it has for a while.. clutch? maybe.. but not as much

if you define these 2 "reasons" key things to not overrate him but consider him a good player.. I call hahaha bs.

mabber
08-14-2006, 08:55 AM
starting 5's mean nothing, ask the kings or the pistons. At the start of last season, people were saying the Kings had the best starting 5...but no bench and they struggled. same with pistons, they went as far as they can go on 10 legs...

Who said that? :lol

mffl89
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Can you provide a link to the page where people were actually saying that the Kings had the best starting 5

Amare_32
08-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Personally I am not sure which team to label the best starting 5. If Amare comes back at 80% like they say he will the Suns have a fair shot to get past the WCF depending on the matchup. Honestly Amare at 80% is alot better than most of the power forward/centers in the West save for Duncan. If they meet the Spurs again in the West with Amare at less than 100% they will be hard pressed to at least match the pounding they would take inside from Tim. So I guess I would have to for now much to my disliking give the Spurs the edge in that category. The Suns starting 5 from 2004-2005 was to me superior.

C-Amare
PF-Marion
SF-Richardson
SG-Johnson
PG-Nash
________
GET I INHALE IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

mabber
08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Personally I am not sure which team to label the best starting 5. If Amare comes back at 80% like they say he will the Suns have a fair shot to get past the WCF depending on the matchup. Honestly Amare at 80% is alot better than most of the power forward/centers in the West save for Duncan. If they meet the Spurs again in the West with Amare at less than 100% they will be hard pressed to at least match the pounding they would take inside from Tim. So I guess I would have to for now much to my disliking give the Spurs the edge in that category. The Suns starting 5 from 2004-2005 was to me superior.

C-Amare
PF-Marion
SF-Richardson
SG-Johnson
PG-Nash

I guess you don't consider Dirk a power forward even though he does play the 4 position.

Amare_32
08-14-2006, 05:56 PM
I guess you don't consider Dirk a power forward even though he does play the 4 position.

Amare likes to play around the basket more than Dirk. Dirk for all his talent spends too much time on the perimeter jacking up 3s instead of driving to the basket.
________
HONDA CR250M (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CR250M)
________
Vaporizer volcano (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

mffl89
08-15-2006, 03:45 AM
Amare likes to play around the basket more than Dirk. Dirk for all his talent spends too much time on the perimeter jacking up 3s instead of driving to the basket.

Have you been watching last season at all...Dirk has been driving to the basket instead of jacking up 3s...his 3 pt attempts are a lot less than when he first started playing

Supergirl
08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Let's evaluate it another way -
if you could pick one player from each team who you'd like to build your dream roster, who would you pick?

C - Duncan
PF - Brand
SF - Marion or Diaw - too tough to call. Marion is better but Diaw is younger and so versatile
SG - Wade
PG - Nash

By this measure, Suns still have it, because they have 2 of the 5 spots. Plus, a healthy Amare is pretty much even with TD (see 2005 WCF) which would give them 3 out of 5 spots. And Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas are solid role players as your fourth and fifth starters.

They're still not winning any championships, and I'm still not sure Amare's ever coming back 100%, but Suns have - ON PAPER - the best starting five.

MajorMike
08-15-2006, 08:23 AM
IF Stoudemire can come back, yes. Otherwise nope.

I do not believe that Amare will ever be the explosive finisher he was. Not saying he won't be good or even great, but 2 years ago we were calling him the best finisher ever. I think that little extra spring will be missing.

mabber
08-15-2006, 08:51 AM

Dirk spends 80% of his time in the mid-post area. Shooting from there or taking the ball to the hoop. He doesn't shoot many 3's anymore but most NBA fans don't realize that yet cuz it usually takes 1-2 years for perception to catch up to reality.

NBA Junkie
08-15-2006, 09:08 AM
if you define these 2 "reasons" key things to not overrate him but consider him a good player.. I call hahaha bs.

I'll call your BS and actually go as far as to say he is the Suns most underrated player. Why? He's one of the few that can actually play great one-on one defense.

Yep, a Phoenix Sun player and defense used in the same sentence. What a concept!

texlawman
08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Out of the four teams mentioned I'd go this way.
PG Nash
SG Wade
SF Diaw or Howard
PF Dirk
C Amare

Now if your opening it up to a league wide thing that's another matter.

confined
08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
haha i thought id find a spurs vs mavs argument going on in this thread by now

JamStone
08-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Let's evaluate it another way -
if you could pick one player from each team who you'd like to build your dream roster, who would you pick?

C - Duncan
PF - Brand
SF - Marion or Diaw - too tough to call. Marion is better but Diaw is younger and so versatile
SG - Wade
PG - Nash

By this measure, Suns still have it, because they have 2 of the 5 spots. Plus, a healthy Amare is pretty much even with TD (see 2005 WCF) which would give them 3 out of 5 spots. And Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas are solid role players as your fourth and fifth starters.

They're still not winning any championships, and I'm still not sure Amare's ever coming back 100%, but Suns have - ON PAPER - the best starting five.

Ever heard of LeBron James? He plays small forward. How about Tracy McGrady? Though he may move back to SG next year. Ron Artest?

Shawn Marion is a great player. But, he is only a borderline top 5 small forward. He might be as high as 3, but I would still take LeBron and T-Mac over him. I would also take Artest over him, if it's just based on talent and skill. Kirilenko and Jefferson are also arguably at least as good as the Matrix.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Ever heard of LeBron James? He plays small forward. How about Tracy McGrady? Though he may move back to SG next year. Ron Artest?

Shawn Marion is a great player. But, he is only a borderline top 5 small forward. He might be as high as 3, but I would still take LeBron and T-Mac over him. I would also take Artest over him, if it's just based on talent and skill. Kirilenko and Jefferson are also arguably at least as good as the Matrix.

i think u misunderstood their post. They weren't choosing from the league. They were choosing from the teams that have been mentioned as having the best starting 5.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Out of the four teams mentioned I'd go this way.
PG Nash
SG Wade
SF Diaw or Howard
PF Dirk
C Amare

Now if your opening it up to a league wide thing that's another matter.

clearly a mavs fan..you include howard..with all those other all stars with the exception of diaw

texlawman
08-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Umm it was rated by position out of the four teams dumbass. Who else are you going to nominate at the SF Walker? I don't think so. Maggette or Thomas? No. That leaves Diaw or Howard which I said was not to clear cut IMO.

Mavs_man_41
08-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Why would so many of you choose Nash over young players like Chris Paul? Nash only has 2 or 3 good years left imo.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Umm it was rated by position out of the four teams dumbass. Who else are you going to nominate at the SF Walker? I don't think so. Maggette or Thomas? No. That leaves Diaw or Howard which I said was not to clear cut IMO.
a healthy maggette is still better

texlawman
08-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Because that wasn't part of the original discussion. We we're talking about who had the best starting five out of the Suns, Clips, Mavs, or Heat.

texlawman
08-15-2006, 11:59 PM
I like Maggette alot, but I don't think he's better than either Diaw or Howard IMO.

G-Money
08-16-2006, 01:22 AM

So which team does?

Suns
C Stoudemire
PF Marion
SF Diaw
SG Bell
PG Nash

The Pistons still have a great starting 5. Ben Wallace was NOT da best guy on our team. I still think Detroit has the best.

1Parker1
08-16-2006, 08:08 AM
The Pistons still have a great starting 5. Ben Wallace was NOT da best guy on our team. I still think Detroit has the best.

I never said he was the best guy on your team...although a 3 time running DPOY missing from your starting lineup, may affect your team just a little.

Oh and :lmao :lmao At a "best" starting 5 team that includes Nazr Mohammad.

Vizzini
08-16-2006, 08:31 AM
I never said he was the best guy on your team...although a 3 time running DPOY missing from your starting lineup, may affect your team just a little.

Oh and :lmao :lmao At a "best" starting 5 team that includes Nazr Mohammad.

The Pistons no longer have the best starting five in the league. No more needs to be said.

NBA Junkie
08-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Starting 5's are way way overrated. Besides, there's always one weak link of the five players.

How many great starting 5's actually win NBA titles? Yeah, maybe the 2004 Pistons, but I can't think of many after that.

Amare_32
08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
What does everybody think of a team with this starting 5,

PG-Chris Paul
SG-Wade
SF-Joe Johnson
PF-Stoudemire
C-Dwight Howard

Yes I am saying I would take Johnson over LeBron. Johnson is deadly from 3 point range and is a better defender right now than LeBron. Plus he does not have to score to be effective for a team.
________
Medical marijuana news (http://potwire.com)
________
ShyRoxanne (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/ShyRoxanne)

DarkReign
08-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Starting 5's are way way overrated. Besides, there's always one weak link of the five players.

How many great starting 5's actually win NBA titles? Yeah, maybe the 2004 Pistons, but I can't think of many after that.

Thorn in the side here.

I would think the 5 from the Bulls of the mid 90s was pretty damn good.

Jordan, Kukoc, Pippen, Paxson and Cartwright.

Once again, they werent the absolute best players at their position (except Jordan, and arguably Pippen), but they were the absolute best starting 5 in the NBA of their time, IMO.

NBA Junkie
08-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Thorn in the side here.

I would think the 5 from the Bulls of the mid 90s was pretty damn good.

Jordan, Kukoc, Pippen, Paxson and Cartwright.

Once again, they werent the absolute best players at their position (except Jordan, and arguably Pippen), but they were the absolute best starting 5 in the NBA of their time, IMO.

Kukoc didn't join the Bulls until 1993. Jordan had retired by then. Cartwright, Jordan and Kukoc never played together.

I think you meant Horace Grant. Still a decent starting 5. John Paxson hit the open shots that were provided for him, but didn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of his opponents.