PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Speed Internet Provider Recommendations

10-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Looks like we're going to finally enter the 21st century at the house (we don't presently have a computer at home), and I was curious to see what ya'lls recommendations for a provider would be.

We'd like to get something along the lines of DSL or other hi-speed provider (I'd really like a T3 line like we have at work, but that ain't gonna happen) and I'd also like go wireless so I can use my business laptop as well.

Probably going to buy the new iMac G5 because I want to take all the DV I have of my daughter and burn DVD's of the tapes. I hear that Macs are "easier" to work with and that their multimedia applications can't be beat.

That being said, what do ya'll think?

Shelly
10-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I've had both DSL and Cable and to me, cable wins hands down.

gophergeorge
10-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I really love my Roadrunneer.... AOL sucked.

10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Can you go wireless with cable?

Shelly
10-22-2004, 02:16 PM
My neighbor has SBC DSL and when I've been on her computer there's a huge difference in speed.

Aren't TW/AOL/Earthlink high speed all the same?

Shelly
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Can you go wireless with cable?
YES!!!!! (http://www.twcable1.com/site_rr/TER_rr_networking_faqs.htm)

Duff McCartney
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Yes...your laptop has to be wireless able...but with Roadrunner you can...you can also have a wireless network in your house if you have more than one computer.

I know that my friend has a wireless computer and she gets a signal from her house as well as her school. So your laptop could also work at your job if it can get a signal from there.

Duff McCartney
10-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Aren't TW/AOL/Earthlink high speed all the same?

No they aren't....the difference between AOL Broadband and Roadrunner is way different. I had AOL Broadband and you can't just surf like you do with Roadrunner where all you do is click on your browser and *bam* there you are. You have to log on just like you do with dial up (although it's way faster)...if you aren't logged on....you can't surf.

Also if you play video games online, AOL regulates your speeds...I know cause I tried to play some Wolfenstein online with AOL..and it is screwed up like crazy. AOL regulates your download and upload speeds.

Useruser666
10-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Yes! And Road Runner is offering super high speed cable now for $69 a month with regular at $45 a month. The high speed is 6mb a second downstream with 512kb up. The regualr is around 1.5-2mb downstream and 384kb up. I have had cable since the first day it was offered and it's great. Very reliable, always on, and super fast. Check to make sure, but I think they'll do a free wall drop in your home and the modem is included too. Without broadband the internet sucks! I know I used to be without. You can purchase just about any router, switch, vpn server, in ethernet, usb, or wireless connection and have it work fine with Road Runner. I got half my office using it now and everyone here loves it. Cable is faster than DSL.

I highly recommend it.

P.S. Has anyone tried Time Warner's Digital Phone yet?

CosmicCowboy
10-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I have SBC-DSL @ work for $29 a month and roadrunner at home with a wireless net running 3 computers (one hard wired)...

It may have something to do with location (my office is downtown) but my SBC-DSL SCREAMS and IMHO roadrunner is a pain in the ass and much slower...plus the modems keep breaking and it frequently quits "talking" to the network and has to be reset...

My DSL has been totally FLAWLESS and has NEVER been down...

IcemanCometh
10-22-2004, 02:35 PM
what you want is Verizon Fios. THAT is the shit. probably not in your area (http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp?promotion_code=&variant=) tho

timvp
10-22-2004, 02:59 PM
I've had DSL and cable modems and I agree with Shelly ... cable is the way to go. If you ever have a problem with a cable modem, all you have to do is uplug it and plug it back in and it will work. DSL, on the other hand, when it goes down you are out of luck. If there is a thunderstorm and you have DSL, you might as well not even try to get on the internet and will be lucky if it isn't down for days. The longest our cable modem has ever been down is just a couple minutes.

Plus cable is faster ... much faster depending on where you live.

Oh and you don't have to hook some funky device to all your phones like you have to do with DSL.

All in all, no competition.

:smokin

Useruser666
10-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Not in SA yet.

July 19, 2004
Verizon 'Fios': 15-Mbit/s Downloads For $44.95/Mo.
discuss Discuss this now (14 posts)
Verizon Wireless announced plans to offer 30-Mbit/s fiber connection to the home for customers throughout this year at prices that seem astoundingly affordable.

Verizon said it had begun fiber-to-the-home deployments, called "Fios", in California and Florida. The connections, which route high-speed fiber-optic connections directly to the home -- in place of a cable or a high-speed DSL connection over a phone line -- will be first be deployed in Keller, Tex.

ADVERTISEMENT

Verizon's prices, however, may rewrite the compeitive landscape. The company plans to offer plans that offer 5-Mbit downloads/2-Mbit uploads for just $39.95 a month, or $34.95 a month as part of an existing Verizon plan. The mid-tier upgrade, however, will offer a whopping 15-Mbits/s down and 2-Mbits/s upstream for just $49.95 a month, or $44.95 a month as part of an existing package. Prices for the 30-Mbit offering have not been set.

"Fios will set the new standard for consumer broadband services in America," said Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets group, in a statement. "Our customers will be amazed at the online world that Fios opens to them, as it can make applications like video chat and conferencing, digital movie downloads, and interactive multi-player games a part of their daily lives."

Verizon also said it plans a Fios video offering to give consumers an alternative to cable TV in 2005. Installation of the service will also include the suite of services currently available to Verizon Online DSL customers at no additional charge, including: MSN Premium content, Verizon's new Broadband Beat entertainment portal, up to nine e-mail accounts with 30 Mbytesof storage for the primary account and an additional 10 MB for each sub-account, address book and calendar; 10 MB of personal Web space and a Web site building tool, and access to newsgroups.

Fiber deployments will take place in Tampa, Flor., the Ft. Worth metroplex in Texas, and in Southern California. Verizon intends to pass 1 million homes and businesses in parts of nine states with fiber by the end of the year, the company said.

cmurek
10-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Whats your dsl speed?

exstatic
10-22-2004, 03:34 PM
I have TWC, and while I agree that cable is the way to go for hi speed internet, I'd go with Grande in a minute if they were in my area. Their pricing is much more competitive, and they offer cable/hsi/phone packages. I would think that you would need to be inside 410, or very close to be in their current area, though.

Shelly
10-22-2004, 03:48 PM
I don't have a cable phone for my home phone, but I do with work. My work phone is hooked directly to my router and I can intercom anyone in the office in California free of charge. The reception is great. This is through Intertel.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad also has the same hook up at his house in CA and if I IC him at home it's like the worst cell phone connection. Same if I dial out to an outside number. It cuts out all the time and echos.

Useruser666
10-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Hmmmm I had a voip box that worked ok, but had a 1 second lag. I guess I will have to wait and see. I wish SBC didn't charge an extra arm in service fews and taxes after the fact.

pooh
10-22-2004, 04:22 PM
P.S. Has anyone tried Time Warner's Digital Phone yet?

Yes, a friend of mine has and it goes out frequently and stays off overnight at times.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Cable is much easier to deal with. If you're going wireless, buy your own equipment -- their stuff can be pretty crappy.

timvp
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
True, ChumpDumper. Also avoid Linksys unless you want to restrict your wireless activity to the same room as the router.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Netgear is working ok for me, but if I had to get stuff for a big house, I'd probably go with Buffalo and use high-gain antennas.

ducks
10-22-2004, 05:01 PM
downside with cable is upload speed suck
I have cable at work and can only upload at 250
when we had dsl here it was 750

I get between 2000-5000 though down with cable
and only got 750 down with dsl but they say 3000 soon will be avaible here with dsl

with dsl you can choose your speed to match you $$

cmurek
10-22-2004, 05:21 PM
THX for information duck!

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Just my information...

Linksys networking stuff works great. Have (had) wireless at my house (and my apartment) and both work fine, even from the front to the back of the house.

SBC DSL prices.

Call in to SBC/CompUSA/Radio Shack/Circuit City = $26.99/month = 1.5Mbps
Best Buy = $29.99/month = 1.5Mbps (BB will refund the first 3 months of payments after you pay the third month, so it comes out cheaper over the year)

SBC also offers a "Pro Package" at $36.99/month everywhere and is 3.0Mbps. Best Buy is offering the same 3 months back package as I explained above.

I agree with most in the thread, whichever way you go, buy your own networking equipment.

If you want to know more about SBC DSL, go to the Best Buy near Ingram Park Mall this weekend and find me, I'm one of the local retail reps.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2004, 05:53 PM
PS - I have nothing good to say about D-Link wireless equipment.

SequSpur
10-22-2004, 06:52 PM
I have the Belkin wireless system and at first I thought it was a piece of shit, but lately, I haven't had any problems with it.

spurster
10-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Wireless is a completely separate issue from DSL or cable. Both DSL and cable bring a high-speed line into your house. What you do with it is up to you.

I've had DSL for several years. I had a lot of problems one summer until they finally fixed the phone lines. If you have a choice, I would pick on price. If you are already getting cable TV, that would probably be the way to go.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Yeah, but some providers are offering "wireless" packages for more money.

I think SBC charges $15/month to give you the wireless router. I just bought a new router tonight for $50 and probably overpaid because I needed it now.

Slomo
10-23-2004, 03:25 AM
PS - I have nothing good to say about D-Link wireless equipment.You beat me to it. If linksys sux (and it can!) then by all means avoid D-Link.

spurster
10-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I think SBC charges $15/month to give you the wireless router
:lol:lol:lol:lol

They are plain old ripping you off. You get their standard DSL modem and you can buy and connect a wireless router for a lot less than $15/month.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-23-2004, 11:41 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol

They are plain old ripping you off. You get their standard DSL modem and you can buy and connect a wireless router for a lot less than $15/month.

Uh, yeah, I think that's pretty much what I said.

Useruser666
10-25-2004, 09:02 AM
I have a Lynksis or whatever router/4 port switch with vpn and it works great. I have 3 computers hooked to it via a net gear hub and installing more is a breeze. It wasn't the basement model though, so that may be a factor.