PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Moves Likely to Disappoint

ducks
08-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Offseason Moves Likely to Disappoint
Scouts inc now looks at the 7 moves that could turn ugly.

On Wednesday, we looked at the smallest moves that should have the biggest impact. Now let's look at the flip slide -- the big moves most likely to disappoint.

This time of year, teams take big risks to fill voids on their rosters. While some moves work, many transactions end up hindering development and financial flexibility for that franchise.

These seven moves, designed to make a big difference, have the potential to result in little impact.

1. Knicks sign Jared Jeffries
After a disastrous season, the Knicks have to change the identity and the chemistry of the franchise. As part of the offseason makeover, coach-president Isiah Thomas signed Jared Jeffries, late of the Washington Wizards.

Jeffries is most effective on the defensive end and distributing the ball, and New York does not have many players on its roster who do those two things. Jeffries has the ability to defend the shooting guard as well as both forward positions. Jeffries also handles the ball well for a player of his size, even spending some time running the point for the Wizards last year. The Knicks will benefit from Jeffries' versatility and the fact that his effectiveness does not depend on his number of shots per game.

But here is the fly in the ointment. Jeffries cost the Knicks $30 million over five years. In essence, the Knicks will pay $60 million for Jeffries, since New York resides in the high-rent district known as luxury-tax land.

Also, the Knicks just drafted a player, Renaldo Balkman, who has many of the same talents Jeffries possesses. In Jeffries, the Knicks might have paid $60 million for a slightly taller duplicate of Balkman.

2. Nuggets re-sign Nene
The Nuggets' re-signing rugged power forward Nene did not surprise many people.

The surprise came with the price tag -- the Nuggets gave a five-year, $60 million contract to a player who missed all but one game last season with a torn ACL and played in only 55 games the year before. While size is a premium in the NBA, this deal still raised eyebrows.

Denver already had made a long-term, very expensive commitment to a big man in Marcus Camby. Also, the Nuggets continue to shop, without much success, another big man with a big salary and big injury history in Kenyon Martin. (Also, the Nuggets acquired frontcourt player Joe Smith on Thursday.)

While Nene does have the potential and the tools to develop into a solid NBA big man, injuries and depleted minutes could hinder his effort to play well enough to justify the huge contract. As of now, he still has not fully recovered from his ACL injury.

3. Hornets acquire Peja Stojakovic
New Orleans/Oklahoma City desperately needed a consistent shooter to pair with stud point guard Chris Paul. In a sign-and-trade deal with the Indiana Pacers, the Hornets acquired the best shooter on the open market, Peja Stojakovic, the two-time winner of the league's 3-point shooting competition.

The Hornets will benefit from Stojakovic's extensive playoff experience, and with Paul giving him plenty of touches, Peja could have a big year for the Hornets.

However, Stojakovic has a habit of missing significant amounts of time because of injuries. Also, Stojakovic's play has declined since the 2003-04 season, when his performance warranted serious MVP consideration.

New Orleans/Oklahoma City took a big risk in committing $64 million over five years to a player with a significant injury history and declining production.

4. Lakers sign Vladimir Radmanovic
The roller-coaster ride known as the 2006 playoffs provided the Lakers with a crystal clear look into their future. The team had to upgrade its offense and lessen the load on Kobe Bryant. Also, the triangle offense requires spacing and good outside shooting, especially when the team does not have a consistent low-post scoring option (other than Bryant).

So the Lakers signed Vladimir Radmanovic to a five-year, $30 million deal. While Radmonovic does have the ability to help the Lakers with his shooting touch, in particular from 3-point range, he does not rebound well for a 6-foot-10 player. He also seems very indifferent on the defensive end, which will not sit well with Phil Jackson.

Radmanovic's play and attitude decline when he does not touch the ball often, and he might not be content with the number of shots he has after Kobe and Lamar Odom get theirs. He has not sustained a consistent level of play during his career and sometimes seems to suffer from Randy Moss Syndrome -- i.e. playing hard only when he feels like it.

5. Hornets sign Bobby Jackson
After losing valuable backup point guard Speedy Claxton, New Orleans/Oklahoma City wasted no time in signing the explosive Bobby Jackson. Jackson won the 2003 Sixth Man of the Year Award and the Hornets will look to him to provide the same level of production this season. Jackson can score in bunches and has the ability to spell Paul at the point guard position as well as play some minutes at shooting guard.

The Hornets are reuniting Jackson with a former Sacramento Kings teammate, Stojakovic, and the two players have a couple of things in common -- significant playoff experience and a tendency to miss large chunks of time with injuries.

Jackson's production has declined since the 2002-03 season and he has played in 70 games only once since then.

6. Suns sign Marcus Banks
The Suns needed a backup point guard to lessen the load on All-World point guard Steve Nash, and they might have found their guy in Marcus Banks. After Boston traded Banks to Minnesota, he showed a glimpse of the potential that made him a lottery pick in the 2003 draft.

He will have the chance to utilize his quickness and penetrating ability in the Suns' wide-open offensive attack. He also will provide Phoenix with a strong on-ball, perimeter defender.

Banks signed a five-year, $21 million dollar contract with the Suns. While Phoenix did not break the bank to sign Banks, it did pass over some cheaper alternatives. The Suns drafted and traded away Rajon Rondo, a player many scouts believe has talents very similar to Banks' skills.

The Suns also signed Leandro Barbosa to an extension, which might affect Banks' minutes. Most importantly, Phoenix wants to re-sign Boris Diaw to an extension while keeping the team's nucleus intact and avoiding the luxury tax. Keeping Rondo instead of signing Banks could have helped the Suns save some money to re-sign Diaw.

7. Trail Blazers acquire Jamaal Magloire
All-Star centers do not become available for trade very often in the NBA. That explains why the Blazers traded Steve Blake, Brian Skinner and Ha Seung-Jin to Milwaukee for Jamaal Magloire.

Magloire made the All-Star team for the Hornets during the 2003-04 season. However, several factors make this move questionable.

Magloire's numbers have declined since his breakout season. Portland also just made a long-term commitment to center Joel Przybilla, signing him to a five-year, $32 million contract. And the Blazers have big men Zach Randolph and LaMarcus Aldridge on their roster.

On the plus side, Magloire does have an expiring contract. If Portland manages to move him for another piece that will help this team rebuild, the Blazers will move off this list

mabber
08-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I definitely agree with the signing of Bobby Jackson by the Hornets. That guy has very little left to offer on the court.

Mr. Body
08-12-2006, 11:00 AM
The Hornets made bad moves this offseason that might impact their chances of resigning Chris Paul down the road.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I read in an article from a Washington newspaper on HoopsHype that the Wizards let Jeffries go because they wanted to make space for Andray Blatche and Oleksiy Pecherov.

ducks
08-12-2006, 11:34 AM
The Hornets made bad moves this offseason that might impact their chances of resigning Chris Paul down the road.

or it could help him resign later because it shows ownership is willing to spend money to try to put a winner on the floor

Mr. Body
08-12-2006, 12:06 PM
or it could help him resign later because it shows ownership is willing to spend money to try to put a winner on the floor

That certainly is what they hope happens. In reality, I fear, they choked up a lot of cash in Stojakovic, Jackson, and Chandler, none of whom is very good. Maybe they have a long-term plan, but those moves were all splashy but ultimately may hurt them.

mavsfan1000
08-12-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't get the Banks signing as being likely to disappoint unless it is in expense of resigning Diaw. Anyways the suns should go for all or nothing this upcoming season.

Bruno
08-12-2006, 12:15 PM
That certainly is what they hope happens. In reality, I fear, they choked up a lot of cash in Stojakovic, Jackson, and Chandler, none of whom is very good. Maybe they have a long-term plan, but those moves were all splashy but ultimately may hurt them.

Jackson will expire before Paul get his extension.
Hornets will be able to sign Paul to a max deal without a doubt.
The only way he leaves NO is if he asks to be traded.

Mr. Body
08-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Maybe so, but they were ugly moves when frugality might have netted them better and younger players down the line. The proof is in the pudding: whether they make the playoffs.

Louis
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Offseason Moves Likely to Disappoint
Scouts inc now looks at the 7 moves that could turn ugly.

On Wednesday, we looked at the smallest moves that should have the biggest impact. Now let's look at the flip slide -- the big moves most likely to disappoint.

This time of year, teams take big risks to fill voids on their rosters. While some moves work, many transactions end up hindering development and financial flexibility for that franchise.

These seven moves, designed to make a big difference, have the potential to result in little impact.

1. Knicks sign Jared Jeffries
After a disastrous season, the Knicks have to change the identity and the chemistry of the franchise. As part of the offseason makeover, coach-president Isiah Thomas signed Jared Jeffries, late of the Washington Wizards.

Jeffries is most effective on the defensive end and distributing the ball, and New York does not have many players on its roster who do those two things. Jeffries has the ability to defend the shooting guard as well as both forward positions. Jeffries also handles the ball well for a player of his size, even spending some time running the point for the Wizards last year. The Knicks will benefit from Jeffries' versatility and the fact that his effectiveness does not depend on his number of shots per game.

But here is the fly in the ointment. Jeffries cost the Knicks $30 million over five years. In essence, the Knicks will pay $60 million for Jeffries, since New York resides in the high-rent district known as luxury-tax land.

Also, the Knicks just drafted a player, Renaldo Balkman, who has many of the same talents Jeffries possesses. In Jeffries, the Knicks might have paid $60 million for a slightly taller duplicate of Balkman.

2. Nuggets re-sign Nene
The Nuggets' re-signing rugged power forward Nene did not surprise many people.

The surprise came with the price tag -- the Nuggets gave a five-year, $60 million contract to a player who missed all but one game last season with a torn ACL and played in only 55 games the year before. While size is a premium in the NBA, this deal still raised eyebrows.

Denver already had made a long-term, very expensive commitment to a big man in Marcus Camby. Also, the Nuggets continue to shop, without much success, another big man with a big salary and big injury history in Kenyon Martin. (Also, the Nuggets acquired frontcourt player Joe Smith on Thursday.)

While Nene does have the potential and the tools to develop into a solid NBA big man, injuries and depleted minutes could hinder his effort to play well enough to justify the huge contract. As of now, he still has not fully recovered from his ACL injury.

3. Hornets acquire Peja Stojakovic
New Orleans/Oklahoma City desperately needed a consistent shooter to pair with stud point guard Chris Paul. In a sign-and-trade deal with the Indiana Pacers, the Hornets acquired the best shooter on the open market, Peja Stojakovic, the two-time winner of the league's 3-point shooting competition.

The Hornets will benefit from Stojakovic's extensive playoff experience, and with Paul giving him plenty of touches, Peja could have a big year for the Hornets.

However, Stojakovic has a habit of missing significant amounts of time because of injuries. Also, Stojakovic's play has declined since the 2003-04 season, when his performance warranted serious MVP consideration.

New Orleans/Oklahoma City took a big risk in committing $64 million over five years to a player with a significant injury history and declining production.

4. Lakers sign Vladimir Radmanovic
The roller-coaster ride known as the 2006 playoffs provided the Lakers with a crystal clear look into their future. The team had to upgrade its offense and lessen the load on Kobe Bryant. Also, the triangle offense requires spacing and good outside shooting, especially when the team does not have a consistent low-post scoring option (other than Bryant).

So the Lakers signed Vladimir Radmanovic to a five-year, $30 million deal. While Radmonovic does have the ability to help the Lakers with his shooting touch, in particular from 3-point range, he does not rebound well for a 6-foot-10 player. He also seems very indifferent on the defensive end, which will not sit well with Phil Jackson.

Radmanovic's play and attitude decline when he does not touch the ball often, and he might not be content with the number of shots he has after Kobe and Lamar Odom get theirs. He has not sustained a consistent level of play during his career and sometimes seems to suffer from Randy Moss Syndrome -- i.e. playing hard only when he feels like it.

5. Hornets sign Bobby Jackson
After losing valuable backup point guard Speedy Claxton, New Orleans/Oklahoma City wasted no time in signing the explosive Bobby Jackson. Jackson won the 2003 Sixth Man of the Year Award and the Hornets will look to him to provide the same level of production this season. Jackson can score in bunches and has the ability to spell Paul at the point guard position as well as play some minutes at shooting guard.

The Hornets are reuniting Jackson with a former Sacramento Kings teammate, Stojakovic, and the two players have a couple of things in common -- significant playoff experience and a tendency to miss large chunks of time with injuries.

Jackson's production has declined since the 2002-03 season and he has played in 70 games only once since then.

6. Suns sign Marcus Banks
The Suns needed a backup point guard to lessen the load on All-World point guard Steve Nash, and they might have found their guy in Marcus Banks. After Boston traded Banks to Minnesota, he showed a glimpse of the potential that made him a lottery pick in the 2003 draft.

He will have the chance to utilize his quickness and penetrating ability in the Suns' wide-open offensive attack. He also will provide Phoenix with a strong on-ball, perimeter defender.

Banks signed a five-year, $21 million dollar contract with the Suns. While Phoenix did not break the bank to sign Banks, it did pass over some cheaper alternatives. The Suns drafted and traded away Rajon Rondo, a player many scouts believe has talents very similar to Banks' skills.

The Suns also signed Leandro Barbosa to an extension, which might affect Banks' minutes. Most importantly, Phoenix wants to re-sign Boris Diaw to an extension while keeping the team's nucleus intact and avoiding the luxury tax. Keeping Rondo instead of signing Banks could have helped the Suns save some money to re-sign Diaw.

7. Trail Blazers acquire Jamaal Magloire
All-Star centers do not become available for trade very often in the NBA. That explains why the Blazers traded Steve Blake, Brian Skinner and Ha Seung-Jin to Milwaukee for Jamaal Magloire.

Magloire made the All-Star team for the Hornets during the 2003-04 season. However, several factors make this move questionable.

Magloire's numbers have declined since his breakout season. Portland also just made a long-term commitment to center Joel Przybilla, signing him to a five-year, $32 million contract. And the Blazers have big men Zach Randolph and LaMarcus Aldridge on their roster.

On the plus side, Magloire does have an expiring contract. If Portland manages to move him for another piece that will help this team rebuild, the Blazers will move off this list

The only bad signings that I see here is the one the Knicks made with Jared Jeffries and Magloire to Portland...

Other than that, The other ones are good signings, Banks will help Phoenix, Radmanovic will do the same in LA, Nene as long as he stays healthy will be a force in Denver.

and How come they don't mention the Spurs?

Those 2 signings they made are terrible (Buttler and Elson)

ducks
08-12-2006, 01:36 PM
paul gets paid the most if he resigns with his team
how many rookies change teams after their contracts run out

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-12-2006, 04:06 PM
The Nene signing is the one that left me scratching my head the most. There were no shortage of FA big men this year who don't have a bad injury history and I can't remember the Nuggets being mentioned as going after any of them. I've seen stretches where Nene has played like a guy who could deserve a big contract but coming off of ACL surgery? Were there any other teams in the league who wanted to sign this guy so badly that they couldn't go cheaper? Carmelo Anthony is going to be the next Paul Pierce if the Nuggets keeping throwing big money at injury prone players.

I like the Peja signing however. Realistically he's never going to be a #1 option again, but with a quality distributor like Paul he can focus on just being a spot up shooter and have a good year. It doesn't mention the terms of the contract. How much money got tied up with him?

mabber
08-12-2006, 05:02 PM
The Nene signing is the one that left me scratching my head the most. There were no shortage of FA big men this year who don't have a bad injury history and I can't remember the Nuggets being mentioned as going after any of them. I've seen stretches where Nene has played like a guy who could deserve a big contract but coming off of ACL surgery? Were there any other teams in the league who wanted to sign this guy so badly that they couldn't go cheaper? Carmelo Anthony is going to be the next Paul Pierce if the Nuggets keeping throwing big money at injury prone players.

I like the Peja signing however. Realistically he's never going to be a #1 option again, but with a quality distributor like Paul he can focus on just being a spot up shooter and have a good year. It doesn't mention the terms of the contract. How much money got tied up with him?

I think the amount they paid for Peja is the main problem most have with that
signing. I'm with you in that I think Peja can be a decent fit for the Hornets as long as he's not the #1 option. I believe they paid him close to $8 million/year (not positive about amount and too lazy to look it up right now) which is kinda high for him. Regardless, he's such a great shooter and with Paul dishing him the rock it should work.

Danny
08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
I just can't see Peja playing the 2 guard.

Supergirl
08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I agree with the article. Nene - very bad signing. Jared Jefferies - bad signing because he'll wither away on that team, and he's not worth 30 mil. Peja and Bobby - bad signings for the reasons given- they're best years are behind them. Jamaal - bad signing for the same reason.

Only Banks is a good signing, but I agree it could cost him Diaw. But hey - that could prove good for the Spurs. I'd love to see the Spurs sign him in the next few years.

And, for the 4,654th time, EVERYONE ELSE EXCEPT THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THINK THAT ELSON AND BUTLER WERE EXCELLENT SIGNINGS.

That is all.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Nene will be a 20/10 player in a couple of years :smokin

I still think he got overpaid but that seems to be the theme for big men :lol Its not my money so i dont really care :fro

p_funk502132
08-13-2006, 12:58 AM
the knicks are fools, they sign jeffreies, but let young talent like butler go.