PDA

View Full Version : Ndudi Ebi To Fight For A Roster Spot On The Mavs

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Free agents vie for Mavs' last roster spot

01:27 AM CDT on Saturday, August 12, 2006

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Former first-round pick Ndudi Ebi will be among four free agents competing for a Mavericks roster spot at training camp in October.

The players and the team have reached agreements on training camp contracts.

Ebi, 22, will be joined by 6-5 swingman Pat Carroll, 23, and two point guards, 6-2 Darius Washington, 20, and 6-0 Juan Jose Barea, 22. The four are vying for the 15th and final spot on the roster, assuming the team does not sign a veteran.

"What you have are four young guys with upside who are worth investing in," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

Ebi, a 6-9 forward who played at Houston Westbury Christian, jumped to the NBA from high school. He was taken 26th by Minnesota in 2003, three spots ahead of Josh Howard.

But he played just 19 games in two seasons before being released in November. Ebi spent last season with Fort Worth in the National Developmental League and attended Hakeem Olajuwon's big man camp in Houston this week.

"I think Ndudi was too young, too unprepared for the NBA the first time," Olajuwon told the Houston Chronicle. "Now I see stronger, more confident moves. ... I think he's ready."

The Mavericks also are intrigued by the point guards. Washington was undrafted after his sophomore year at Memphis, where he was a two-year starter in a strong program. A scorer first, Washington is still learning his position.

Barea is a more traditional point guard. He excelled at Northeastern (2,290 career points) and was impressive in three appearances for Puerto Rico at the Global Games. He must prove he can play against NBA competition.

Carroll, who played at St. Joseph's, is the younger brother of Charlotte's Matt Carroll and has a similar game – including a nice perimeter shot. He rebounded from a serious shoulder injury to average 16.4 points for Houston in the Vegas Summer League.

loveforthegame
08-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Not a bad list to have vying for the final spot. I was looking at one of the Mavs boards and most want Juan Jose Barea or Pat Carroll.

Bruno
08-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Not a bad list to have vying for the final spot.

My thought exactly, Mavs will be able to face injuries next season. They are so deep that's Ager will likely spend his year in NBDL.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2006, 12:19 PM
The thing going against Ebi is that the Mavs couldn't send him to Fort Worth like the others. He still needs to develop a perimeter game if he's to become an SF, but he might be able to contribute at PF for an uptempo team.

Bruno
08-12-2006, 12:25 PM
The thing going against Ebi is that the Mavs couldn't send him to Fort Worth like the others.

I don't know if they will send their 15th player in nbdl. You can't send more than 2 players in nbdl, Ager and Pops will likely play there.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2006, 12:33 PM
You can't send more than 2 players in nbdlThat's two at a time. If they don't sign Ebi, they can rotate Ager, Pops and the 15th man in and out of Fort Worth.

Bruno
08-12-2006, 01:13 PM
That's two at a time. If they don't sign Ebi, they can rotate Ager, Pops and the 15th man in and out of Fort Worth.

I know that's it's two at a time but I don't see mavs removing Ager or Pops from the DLeague just to allow the development of their 15th man.

The only way I can see a rotation is : Pops and Ager in DLeague and when Mavs call one back because of an injury, they send their 15th man in DLeague for the time of the injury. Of course, they can't do it more than three times because of the cba rule about DLeague.

BTW, I'm not sure than DLeague is the best place for a first round pick who was a solid ncaa senior like Ager.

Bobby Knight
08-12-2006, 01:56 PM
That's two at a time. If they don't sign Ebi, they can rotate Ager, Pops and the 15th man in and out of Fort Worth.

you sound like your talking bout murder convicts here

ChumpDumper
08-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I know that's it's two at a time but I don't see mavs removing Ager or Pops from the DLeague just to allow the development of their 15th man.

The only way I can see a rotation is : Pops and Ager in DLeague and when Mavs call one back because of an injury, they send their 15th man in DLeague for the time of the injury. Of course, they can't do it more than three times because of the cba rule about DLeague.

BTW, I'm not sure than DLeague is the best place for a first round pick who was a solid ncaa senior like Ager.They rotated three players last season, so I don't see why they wouldn't this season. As for Ager, it all depends - if he gets PT in Dallas and is effective, he won't be sent down. Julius Hodge was a solid NCAA senior and he was sent to Austin twice.

Bruno
08-12-2006, 02:52 PM
They rotated three players last season, so I don't see why they wouldn't this season.

They have had a lot of injuries. As far as I remember, they have never called back a player because they wanted to give PT to another player in DLeague and needed a Dleague roster spot.

As for Ager, it all depends - if he gets PT in Dallas and is effective, he won't be sent down. Julius Hodge was a solid NCAA senior and he was sent to Austin twice.

The trouble with Ager is that even if he is quite good, he doesn't have one of the 12 active roster spots.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2006, 03:28 PM
They have had a lot of injuries. As far as I remember, they have never called back a player because they wanted to give PT to another player in DLeague and needed a Dleague roster spot.Maybe it was just a cooincidence.

February 26: G/F Rawle Marshall re-called to the Dallas Mavericks from FORT WORTH.
February 27: F Josh Powell assigned to FORT WORTH by the Dallas Mavericks.

March 4: F Josh Powell re-called to the Dallas Mavericks from FORT WORTH.
March 7: C Pavel Podkolzin assigned to FORT WORTH by the Dallas Mavericks.

Point is they can rotate for whatever reason they wish.

Bruno
08-12-2006, 03:50 PM
February 26: G/F Rawle Marshall re-called to the Dallas Mavericks from FORT WORTH.
February 27: F Josh Powell assigned to FORT WORTH by the Dallas Mavericks.

Pavel wasn't with the DLeague team at that moment, Mavs could have sent Powell without calling Marshall. They have called Marshall because of Harris and Howard injuries.

March 4: F Josh Powell re-called to the Dallas Mavericks from FORT WORTH.
March 7: C Pavel Podkolzin assigned to FORT WORTH by the Dallas Mavericks.

KVH injury.

Point is they can rotate for whatever reason they wish.

Point is that they have only rotate because of an injury. If everybody is healthy, Mavs won't rotate : they will simply put theirs two best prospects (Ager and Pops) in DLeague. The fact that Ebi can't play in DLeague won't hurt him as much as you think.

timvp
08-12-2006, 05:20 PM
That's a pretty impressive foursome ... especially for a 15th roster spot.

The Spurs counter with Kareem Abdul-Jamar.

:pctoss

ChumpDumper
08-12-2006, 06:33 PM
The fact that Ebi can't play in DLeague won't hurt him as much as you think.Not playing is going to hurt that kid more than anything.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2006, 06:35 PM
That's a pretty impressive foursome ... especially for a 15th roster spot.

The Spurs counter with Kareem Abdul-Jamar.

:pctossIf it's any consolation, Jamar outplayed Ebi the two times they met and both were playing PF.

NBA Junkie
08-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Just the Timberwolves luck that the D-League wasn't around in '04-05 or they could've sent both Jackie Butler and Ndudi there for much needed seasoning. :depressed

Bob Lanier
08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Hopefully he'll draw Dampier and not Terry.