PDA

View Full Version : Butler's the key

lotr1trekkie
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
undefinedIf Jackie Butler is as good as Larry Brown thought he was we will be better than last year. Every time Tim came out we had no inside presence. I think the Bonner/ Butler combination has great potiential.The fact that his HS coach is here too should provide some stability for the kid.

Thanks Isaiah Thomas for not being in the position to match our offer sheet.

SpursWillOwn
08-13-2006, 12:48 PM
how the-cup-is-half-full.. :lol

lotr1trekkie
08-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Half full of what? We already have three potentially dominating players. However, Nazr/ Rasho weren't physicals players- more finesse. If Butler at 21 can provide inside rebounding when Tim's out we will be better. He's also a big body that can lean on a Dampier leaving Tim to do his thing. Obviously, he could be a bust! However, if Larry Brown liked this kid more than Curry or James then I'll side with Larry not Isaiah Thomas. Even if it takes a year or two to get it all together, Butler is a great investment.
IMO we have the sharpest front office in the league. Elson is very functional next to Tim. Bonner will be auditioning to replace Horry after next year. After next seaon we can bring in Scola and Javakas[sic] + Mahimimi[sic].
Good grief! We won 63 games and the only team that did better lost their center. What did the Spurs lose that would be valuable in the long run? Nazr for 5 years at 6 mil a year. Good luck Pistons! As for the Knicks, my greatest hope is that Isaiah will waive Malik as Dallas did Finley to save money. Then he could return home and provide power off the bench.

If you feel the urge to respond to my post, please don't make it a simple-minded one-liner. If you disagree with my assessment--fine. Make your case intelligently and with respect for those who might disagree with you.

wolf754life
08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
wow, drink the koolaid lotr1trekkie

bottom line it was a piss poor off season, one which we will remember as the beginning of the end of the spurs run

52 and 30, 4th seed in playoff, 2nd round loss to dallas or pheonix

ChumpDumper
08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Last post from me for months, see you all in February
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1100025&postcount=3

Slinkyman
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM

bottom line it was a piss poor off season, one which we will remember as the beginning of the end of the spurs run

You are a dumbfuck, we didn't need to improve much. We had the 2nd best record in the league, how much better can we get without trading Manu or Tony? Spurs did well with what they had but probably could have done better but then again the season still hasn't started and we have barry and williams which who we can trade. BTW, how many teams have fans that think 52 wins is a bad season? :lol

ChumpDumper
08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (4 members and 4 guests)
ChumpDumper, RC's Boss, Jonathan, dknights411

You'd think the PR machine would be all over this....

dknights411
08-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Aw, COME ON!!! Don't be so pessimistic for crying out loud. Besides, this offseason had very little promise to begin with anyway.

RC's Boss
08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
You are a dumbfuck, we didn't need to improve much. We had the 2nd best record in the league, how much better can we get without trading Manu or Tony? Spurs did well with what they had but probably could have done better but then again the season still hasn't started and we have barry and williams which who we can trade. BTW, how many teams have fans that think 52 wins is a bad season? :lol
I don't understand the big fuss either. It's not like D. Howard was a big man on the market. And if he was we wouldn't have the cap space to sign him anyway. Teams that are in contention have no need to panic in the offseason. It's good our FO doesn't act like this! Rasho wasn't a good defender in Minny just as Elson and Butler aren't. But I believe they will thrive in Pop's system. Hopefully Elson isn't a softy and Butler has wayyyyy better offense than Nazr. I think we've upgraded. The only thing I would do is look into trading Barry for a younger wing player that can hit an occasional three and we should be just fine. Keep pounding that rock!

MrChug
08-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (4 members and 4 guests)
ChumpDumper, RC's Boss, Jonathan, dknights411

You'd think the PR machine would be all over this....

YESSSSSSS...Jonathan POSTPOSTPOSTPOST!!! I even bumped your thread because we're all here on the edge of our seats! (I personally have candles lit around the computer speaking in tounges ONLY breaking to refresh the page for "update"s.) :elephant

Que Gee
08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
undefinedIf Jackie Butler is as good as Larry Brown thought he was we will be better than last year. Every time Tim came out we had no inside presence. I think the Bonner/ Butler combination has great potiential.The fact that his HS coach is here too should provide some stability for the kid.

Seriously, stop drinking the Kool Aid.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Butler will be a pleasant surprise and the FO have done about all they could to improve the team this offseason thus far, especially given cap restraints and a poor FA class.

The doomsayers should really just STFU or renounce their status as Spurs fans, seriously. If you hate the team so much, go find another one. :grim:

MajorMike
08-14-2006, 07:36 AM

It's his prep school coach that's here.

SpursWillOwn
08-14-2006, 09:06 AM
doomsayer? wat do you expect real spursfan to do? lick j.but's nuts and say he's the next shaq? the season has yet to start, thus, the doubt

wolf754life
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
don't have a rational opinion, don't look objectively at the situation, don't use common sense, think everything will be ok, spurs can't make any mistakes, fans shouldn't be critical, they should just be mindless clones and not think on their own!

Get a clue people, process information, use your brains!

rascal
08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Butler is nothing more than a long shot reach at this stage. If your relying on him to be the big difference maker your likely to be disappointed next year.

Butler is worth the risk because he may have some upside but he is a project at this time. No one to bank your season on.

And the spurs have made bad moves before with free agency and trades. Remember Steve Smith?

ChumpDumper
08-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Last post from me for months, see you all in February
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1100025&postcount=3

BALLZ & MY WORD
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Butler is nothing more than a long shot reach at this stage. If your relying on him to be the big difference maker your likely to be disappointed next year.

Butler is worth the risk because he may have some upside but he is a project at this time. No one to bank your season on.

And the spurs have made bad moves before with free agency and trades. Remember Steve Smith?

Did we rely on Rasho the SLOWvenian or Nazr Stonehands to be the big difference makers. Don't get it misconstrued, no one is expecting Jackie to be Shaq. All he has to do is be serviceable, the bar wasn't set high at the center spot. In the meantime stop all the bitching and whining, and enjoy the ride.

Leetonidas
08-14-2006, 04:03 PM

We have virtually the same team that won 63 games (probably a little deeper) and now we'll be chalking up 11 more losses? You're retarded.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-15-2006, 03:03 AM
SpursWillOwn - pulease!? :rolleyes I'm not asking for anything except a cessation of the same old BS drivel every day that we get from people like wolf here:

Piss-poor offseason why? What did he expect the team to do?

I have no problem with fans who are disappointed and make a reasonable case as to why, and how the FO could have done better, but I'm sick to friggin death of chumps like wolf and sequ bagging every little thing without any rational explanation.

If people think the Spurs are so bad, why are they supporting them? Hell, I'll still be a Spurs fan long after the dynasty has ended and we are at the bottom of the division.

RC's Boss
08-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Did we rely on Rasho the SLOWvenian or Nazr Stonehands to be the big difference makers. Don't get it misconstrued, no one is expecting Jackie to be Shaq. All he has to do is be serviceable, the bar wasn't set high at the center spot. In the meantime stop all the bitching and whining, and enjoy the ride.
Exactly. What other team has Shaq other than Miami?!?!?! Name the top 5 centers in this league and the majority of them or 1st 2nd or 3rd options. Nazr and Rasho weren't options at all. Some of you guys have some issues. GET YOUR FINGER OFF THE DAMN PANIC BUTTON PLEASE!!!! :madrun

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-15-2006, 09:47 AM
We will get the same or better production out of our new centres as we did from the old at less than half the price. One of them is young with upside.

We run the offence through 3 other players anyway, so all we really need from our centres is some tough D and rebounding, and I'm confident these two guys can do that at least as well as Rasho and Nazr once they know the system.

But, no, it's been such a bad offseason! :madrun

RC's Boss
08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I just think we should have tried to find a SF under 30 even as a short term fix. Barry never seemed to have a confident look in his face even when he played well and it's not like Finley can't shoot 3's. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the court given how well he played in the playoffs.

Rick Von Braun
08-15-2006, 10:40 AM