PDA

View Full Version : Arenas pulles groin; out of Worlds

usckk
08-14-2006, 09:43 AM
I guess it will be Arenas and Bowen out now.

per ESPN
Gilbert Arenas suffered a groin strain during Team USA's practice on Monday and will not play in the FIBA World Championships, USA Basketball announced.

Arenas, of the Washington Wizards, strained his groin Monday morning during a practice outside of Seoul.

"We know Gilbert is really disappointed, he's done a great job. It's an unfortunate situation but he is not going to be able to continue on," managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "We're concerned because he has had a history regarding groin pulls. This is a precautionary move but it is important that he return home and get treatment."

Arenas played in all four of the team's pre-tournament tune-up games. He started once, averaging 3.8 ppg., 2.3 rpg. and 11.0 minutes per game.

djohn14
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
That blows.

usckk
08-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Now Bowen definently won't make it. Coach K would go for more offense

myhc
08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
that sucks! :depressed

angel_luv
08-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh that is a shame. Poor Arenas- after all the work he did. That is disappointing.

DarkReign
08-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, I believe otherwise. Bowen makes it now.

1Parker1
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, I believe otherwise. Bowen makes it now.

Why? You think they were keeping Arenas for his defensive prowress?:lol

1Parker1
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking Bowen or Miller now. I originally thought Jaimson and Heinrich...but with Arenas out, they need Heinrich...and for some reason Team USA seems to like Jaimson.

ducks
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-worldchampionships-arenasout&prov=ap&type=lgns

MrChug
08-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow...so everyone's POSITIVE that Bruce is the gonner?? I don't feel so sure. Is Battier just rocking the house? No. I don't see it.

usckk
08-14-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking Bowen and Miller now. I originally thought Jaimson and Heinrich...but with Arenas out, they need Heinrich...and for some reason Team USA seems to like Jaimson.

With Arenas gone now, they only have to cut one more player.

dbestpro
08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Bowen is done. Bruce got his shot. Now it is time for him to rest as age will soon take its toll. I'm kind of glad that he got through the whole thing without an injury.

angel_luv
08-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm not giving up on Bruce making the team until he is officially cut.

I know how excited he has been about this experience and I am totally rooting for him to make it.

boutons_
08-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Tough luck.
So far, GA's made only a marginal contribution in his role as pure scorer that by definition won't be missed.

With 13 players remaining, who will have the "spotlight" of being the only player to be cut? Bruce doesn't deserve that kind of spotlight, but since when has life been fair?

MajorMike
08-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I want him to make it, but it seems clear he's not in the plans. He is the only player to have a DNP. He is the only player not to score. He has a team low in minutes. Miller and Jamison are the only ones close in minutes, yet both have has major point games. Jamison scored 16 in 12 mins against PR. Miller scored 8 in 10 mins same game. Miller scored 14 in 12 mins against China, while Jamison was 13 points in 17 mins against Lithaunia. Battier, meanwhile, started his 2nd game against Lith (also started China). Only other player getting small minutes is Bosh, but he has scored well too.

Hope I'm wrong, but writing seems to be on the wall. We knew going in that Bruce was a longshot to make Coach K's team with Battier on the squad.

MajorMike
08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Tough luck.
So far, GA's made only a marginal contribution in his role as pure scorer that by definition won't be missed.

With 13 players remaining, who will have the "spotlight" of being the only player to be cut? Bruce doesn't deserve that kind of spotlight, but since when has life been fair?

It is what it is.

cheguevara
08-14-2006, 11:45 AM
NO!!!

Arenas is one of the few players in US team that can shoot from outside

boutons_
08-14-2006, 11:59 AM
"Arenas is one of the few players in US team that can shoot from outside"

the US has been romping on offense with GA playing 11 mpg and 4 ppg. his loss is no loss.

Kori Ellis
08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Arenas was playing horribly. He probably faked the groin pull because he knew he was getting cut. :lol

Kori Ellis
08-14-2006, 12:03 PM
NO!!!

Arenas is one of the few players in US team that can shoot from outside

Not that these few games are a solid indicator, but he's shooting .278 from the field and .222 from beyond the arc.

K-State Spur
08-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm not saying Bruce is going to make it, but I think people are making too much of his minutes (or lack thereof) so far. He's a lockdown perimeter defender (as much as anyone can be) and we haven't exactly faced tremendous perimeter offense yet.

Battier might have a more well-rounded game than Bruce, but he certainly is a tier down in terms of defense (that said, I don't think there is a chance in hell that K cuts his Dukee boy). The US roster really only contains two wings who have the ability to stay in front of Manu most of the time. Bruce is one, Battier is NOT the other (the injured Kobe I would put there).

If Bruce does get cut, one of the things to blame could be an exhibition schedule that did not really allow him to showcase his skills.

boutons_
08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
"He probably faked the groin pull because he knew he was getting cut"

As probable explanation as any. It helped that they could say he has a history of this injury, usually an injury slow to heal, and he's got Wiz camp in 6 weeks.

MajorMike
08-14-2006, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=K-State Spur]I'm not saying Bruce is going to make it, but I think people are making too much of his minutes (or lack thereof) so far. He's a lockdown perimeter defender (as much as anyone can be) and we haven't exactly faced tremendous perimeter offense yet. [QUOTE]

Yeah, except for that 16-0 barage Brazil dropped on us... while Bruce remained on the bench.

SpurYank
08-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Coach K is saving Bruce to guard Manu, Dirk, Diaw, and others. No one else on this team plays defense, 'cept perhaps Battier.

cheguevara
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
"Arenas is one of the few players in US team that can shoot from outside"

the US has been romping on offense with GA playing 11 mpg and 4 ppg. his loss is no loss.

that has nothing to do with it. the competition in the worlds championship vs. this tune up games can't even be compared.

the US will definitely need good shooters before its all said and done. someone else will have to step up

boutons_
08-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade have been hitting 3Gs, and Carmelo is shooting 59% 3G.

LeBron, Joe Johnson can hit 3Gs. Team USA has enough 3G firepower with GA.

caŽlo
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
if bowen gets cut.. who the fu*k would guard manu?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-14-2006, 02:27 PM
"We know Gilbert is really disappointed, he's done a great job. It's an unfortunate situation but he is not going to be able to continue on," managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "We're concerned because he has had a history regarding groin pulls. This is a precautionary move but it is important that he return home and get treatment."

Almost sounds like he was didnt want to face the embarrassment of being cut

Cherry
08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
if bowen gets cut.. who the fu*k would guard manu?

...mmnn... ehhhml...mnn. ... :angel...

GrandeDavid
08-15-2006, 03:54 PM
At least Bowen finally got a couple of buckets today against Korea!