PDA

View Full Version : Eddy Curry deserves the Max

sickdsm
10-22-2004, 04:31 PM
If Spree can get 14 plus mill why can't Curry?

Sprewell delivers ultimatum

Wolves guard wants new contract by Nov. 3

BY MIKE WELLS

Pioneer Press

Swingman Latrell Sprewell won't be in uniform tonight when Minnesota takes on the New York Knicks, and if the Timberwolves don't sign him to a contract extension, there's a strong possibility he won't play with them next season.

Sprewell is nursing an ankle injury and a bruised ego. He said Thursday if the two sides can't agree on an extension before the Nov. 3 season opener against the Knicks at the Target Center, it could lead to "potential problems" down the road.

"For me, they're not showing the interest that they would want to keep me," he said. "That's how I would look at it. Especially for what I've done; not only me but what Sam (Cassell) has done for this organization. That would be somewhat a smack in the face if they don't step up and get something done.

"If not, obviously, I would think it's time for me to go somewhere else."

Sprewell decided not to opt out of the final year of his contract in July with the understanding that he would get an extension. Sprewell's agent, Robert Gist, said at the time he thought a three-year extension would be worked out by the end of July. That plan got pushed aside when the Wolves hit a snag in re-signing point guard Troy Hudson. Now they essentially have less than two weeks left to strike a deal.

Wolves vice president of operations Kevin McHale was unavailable for comment Thursday. He said Wednesday he hopes a deal can be struck soon so it doesn't become a distraction this season. The Wolves are a favorite to win the Western Conference and reach the NBA Finals for the first time.

Cassell missed the first day of training camp to show his displeasure about not receiving a contract extension from the Wolves.

"You want everybody focused, so we're hoping to get it done before the season starts," McHale said of the Sprewell negotiations.

If the talks drag past the season opener, Sprewell will be reluctant to continue negotiations, and instead will ask for a sign-and-trade deal or wait to become a free agent at the end of the season. If he becomes a free agent, he said, he would not re-sign with the Timberwolves.

Sprewell said there have been talks over the past few weeks, but nothing to his liking. Taking a pay cut is out of the question, he said. Sprewell, 34, will make $14.6 million this season and doesn't believe he should have to take less money from the Wolves, or any other team, to play in 2005-06.

Under NBA rules, Sprewell is eligible for a deal up to three years and could receive a 12.5 percent raise each year, meaning he could make $16.4 million in the first year of his contract. It's unlikely he'll get that much, however, because he is considered past his prime. He said he would like a two-year, maybe even three-year, extension.

"I'm not trying to take a pay cut," he said. "A lot of other guys out there aren't doing as well as I am and still making as much, if not more. I've been genetically blessed to run and do other things on the court that are a God-given talent. Along with the work I put in and the blessings I have, I feel like I have a lot to offer."

Wolves owner Glen Taylor said Thursday there is no timetable for an extension. Taylor hasn't spoken to Sprewell, choosing to leave the preliminary talks to McHale. Still, Sprewell said, it's all up to Taylor.

"It's his money. It's his team," Sprewell said. "Obviously, he takes input and advice from underneath, but the bottom line is the owner makes the call."

Sprewell, traded to the Wolves from New York in July 2003, averaged 16.8 points and was part of the "Big Three" — with Cassell and Kevin Garnett — that led the Wolves to the conference finals last season. Cassell also was acquired in a trade, from the Milwaukee Bucks, in 2003 and the acquisitions enabled the Wolves to get out of the first round of the playoffs for first time in team history.

"That's the bottom line on where I'm coming from," Sprewell said. "This team had never gotten out of the first round with all the moves they've made. We come here and we do what we have to do and we almost get to the Finals. If they're not going to take care of us, it feels like a smack in the face. That's the only way I can put it."

timvp
10-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Sprewell and Cassell unhappy?

Not good news for the Wolves.

ChumpDumper
10-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Spree's let all that money go to his head, though I guess he could argue he should get Nash money with something approaching a straight face....

sickdsm
10-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Word is that cassell apparently just wants an extension @ 6 mill a year, Spree will not get a contract worth 10 let alone 14 mill. What is scary though is that a package of Earv and Spree is worth about 20 mill in expiring contracts, thats one way to spin it.

Spree must have been Carmelo's "friend"

Nikos
10-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Why does Spree demand so much even though next season he will be what 35?, 36?

timvp
10-22-2004, 05:36 PM
One day Sprewell will end up on the Spurs. It is just a matter of when.

Nikos
10-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Whys that Timvp?

Cause Pop likes him? Why didn;t he go through with the Manu/Spree trade? Too expensive, and the age differential?

exstatic
10-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Sprewell and Cassell unhappy?

Not good news for the Wolves.

I called this when all of those trades went down to stock Minny's roster last year. They pretty much had a one year "honeymoon" to get the rings, and then there would be trouble. Spree isn't as bad as some would portray him, but neither he nor Sam are real team guys. They didn't win, and now their backcourt is old and wanting $$$$. As timvp says, "Not good news for the Wolves".

SequSpur
10-22-2004, 06:43 PM
If Spre is worth 14 mill, then Tony Parker is worth a max deal and a 2% ownership.