PDA

View Full Version : Duck Anyone?

Gatita
08-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Fiance's bday coming up.

Any restaurants in SA that you guys can recommend that serves duck would greatly be appreciated.

Thx.

08-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Why not cook for him?

I always like taking the breast of ducks I've shot, marinating them in OJ for a few hours, zesting an orange on them and then throwing them on the grill.

I have other recipies if you're interested.

Gatita
08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Why not cook for him?

I always like taking the breast of ducks I've shot, marinating them in OJ for a few hours, zesting an orange on them and then throwing them on the grill.

That was also an idea if I couldn't find a really good restaurant.

Where would I hunt down duck breasts?

Gatita
08-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks Obi! :makeout

Reservations made @ Silo. :smokin :drunk

Vizzini
08-15-2006, 12:44 AM
http://www.chrisbrimelow.com/cavemen.jpg

Are you going to get the roast duck, with the mango salsa?

TDMVPDPOY
08-15-2006, 02:29 AM
chinese restruant, peking duck, lemon chicken.....

you want dog?

T Park
08-15-2006, 02:32 AM
PF Changs makes one HELL of a duck dinner.

Taco
08-15-2006, 07:38 AM
That was also an idea if I couldn't find a really good restaurant.

Where would I hunt down duck breasts?

Try Tim's Orientall (spelling?) market on Bandera and Huebner

ObiwanGinobili
08-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks Obi! :makeout

Reservations made @ Silo. :smokin :drunk

whooohooo ! I rock dude, I r o c k. :lol

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Why not cook for him?

My hats off to you 1369...

My recipe for cooking wild duck:

Rub spice mix of choice on duck
stuff with wild rice
Roast at 350 for about 2 hours
remove and eat rice and stuffing
throw nasty inedible wild duck away

leemajors
08-15-2006, 08:43 AM

stuff with wild rice

you been cooking canvasbacks or coots? :lol

08-15-2006, 09:06 AM

stuff with wild rice

Wild duck is an acquired taste, but you can work it to your liking.

Obi, try this one some time...

4 boneless duck breast halves, skin intact or removed – your choice
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 handfuls mixed greens
2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted in a 325 degree oven

Dressing
1 egg yolk (optional)
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 avocado; peeled, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Season duck liberally with salt and pepper. Combine next 4 ingredients in a plastic bag. Add duck breasts and shake bag to coat evenly. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear duck breasts on both sides until medium-rare. Remove from pan and let stand for 5 minutes. To prepare dressing, add first 5 ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. While motor is running, add oil slowly in a thin stream until dressing is smooth and oil is emulsified. Add avocado and tarragon and process until smooth (have I used the word “smooth” enough yet?). Season with salt and pepper.
Slice the duck thinly. Place the lettuce in a large bowl and toss with dressing to coat. Use a little dressing at a time. You probably will not need all of the dressing! Place the lettuce on plates. Arrange sliced duck, tomato and onion over lettuce. Top with blue cheese crumbles and pecans.

ObiwanGinobili
08-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Wild duck is an acquired taste, but you can work it to your liking.

Obi, try this one some time...

4 boneless duck breast halves, skin intact or removed – your choice
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 handfuls mixed greens
2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted in a 325 degree oven

Dressing
1 egg yolk (optional)
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 avocado; peeled, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Season duck liberally with salt and pepper. Combine next 4 ingredients in a plastic bag. Add duck breasts and shake bag to coat evenly. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear duck breasts on both sides until medium-rare. Remove from pan and let stand for 5 minutes. To prepare dressing, add first 5 ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. While motor is running, add oil slowly in a thin stream until dressing is smooth and oil is emulsified. Add avocado and tarragon and process until smooth (have I used the word “smooth” enough yet?). Season with salt and pepper.
Slice the duck thinly. Place the lettuce in a large bowl and toss with dressing to coat. Use a little dressing at a time. You probably will not need all of the dressing! Place the lettuce on plates. Arrange sliced duck, tomato and onion over lettuce. Top with blue cheese crumbles and pecans.

I've done similiar with duck and quail also.
but used fresh pressed garlic and hungarian paprika. no cumin.

I'll definatly have to try that dressing. sounds delicious- thanks! :tu

right now I'm working on a new OJ/ginger/mint marinade for lamb chops. so far i'm on the 3rd version.

ducks
08-15-2006, 09:26 AM
No One Better Eat Duck :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
I guess it is an aquired taste...I have always attempted to clean/cook everything I have ever harvested and with the exception of ducks/geese have always been extremely satisfied...

The one and only time I went goose hunting it was about 30 degrees, I got up at 3am, took a boat back into the marsh, parked, lugged huge bags of decoys for it seemed like miles (walking on 2X6's laid end to end on 4x4 posts...like walking a rotted, springy tightrope) set them out, sat down in the cold water/salt grass marsh, and waited for sunrise...did I mention I had a hangover?

As the sun was coming up I heard an approaching buzz like an airboat and realized it was the formations of huge tiger striped mosquitos preparing to attack...when they dove out of the rising sun they were so thick you couldn't breathe without sucking them in...it was below freezing and there was frost on the grass...who would have thought we needed insect repellant? I got bites on top of bites on top of bites...my eyes almost swelled closed...

About that time my waders split in the crotch and my balls were suddenly floating in ice water...

did I mention that I actually paid a lot of money to do this?

We limited out on geese in short order...( I was like...wheres the sport in this?...after dove hunting it was like shooting at C5's off the end of the runway at Kelly) and managed to pick up the decoys and stumble back down that rotted fucking boardwalk to the boat...did I mention I still had a hangover?...we barely made it out of that hellhole before our blood pressure dropped to zero from blood loss...

did I mention I actually paid a lot of money to do this?

I slow cooked them in the water smoker the next day for my friends that survived the hunt and it was absolutely the nastiest, most foul thing I have ever cooked by a huge margin.

I decided to retire from goose hunting after that memorable experience. I think everyone should do it once...:lol

leemajors
08-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I guess it is an aquired taste...I have always attempted to clean/cook everything I have ever harvested and with the exception of ducks/geese have always been extremely satisfied...

The one and only time I went goose hunting it was about 30 degrees, I got up at 3am, took a boat back into the marsh, parked, lugged huge bags of decoys for it seemed like miles (walking on 2X6's laid end to end on 4x4 posts...like walking a rotted, springy tightrope) set them out, sat down in the cold water/salt grass marsh, and waited for sunrise...did I mention I had a hangover?

As the sun was coming up I heard an approaching buzz like an airboat and realized it was the formations of huge tiger striped mosquitos preparing to attack...when they dove out of the rising sun they were so thick you couldn't breathe without sucking them in...it was below freezing and there was frost on the grass...who would have thought we needed insect repellant? I got bites on top of bites on top of bites...my eyes almost swelled closed...

About that time my waders split in the crotch and my balls were suddenly floating in ice water...

did I mention that I actually paid a lot of money to do this?

We limited out on geese in short order...( I was like...wheres the sport in this?...after dove hunting it was like shooting at C5's off the end of the runway at Kelly) and managed to pick up the decoys and stumble back down that rotted fucking boardwalk to the boat...did I mention I still had a hangover?...we barely made it out of that hellhole before our blood pressure dropped to zero from blood loss...

did I mention I actually paid a lot of money to do this?

I slow cooked them in the water smoker the next day for my friends that survived the hunt and it was absolutely the nastiest, most foul thing I have ever cooked by a huge margin.

I decided to retire from goose hunting after that memorable experience. I think everyone should do it once...:lol

when i was 9 or 10 i went goose hunting with my dad, he is an orthodontist and did a tradeout with a duck/goose guide for lifetime hunting. long story short, my dad shot a duck, our lab refused to go get it. my dad knew why, but i didn't so he sent me to go get it. this is a flooded rice patty and it's about 45 degrees outside in the early AM, steady drizzle, i have waders on. i wade out and almost get to the duck, and all of a sudden i step off into nothing, which is a drainage ditch in the patty and my waders fill with ice cold water while my dad cackles. it really sucked.

Taco
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM

I'm Hungry

leemajors
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
duck does tend to dry out fairly easily, so smoking it may not be the best idea. my dad always sliced it in about inch thick strips and sauteed it in a pan with a soy sauce/oil combo and then served it over rice. i was a fan of it being cooked that way, and any way you can keep from overcooking it or having it dry out is best. i lived in victoria and grew up eating it so maybe i am a bit biased.

Taco
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
duck does tend to dry out fairly easily, so smoking it may not be the best idea. my dad always sliced it in about inch thick strips and sauteed it in a pan with a soy sauce/oil combo and then served it over rice. i was a fan of it being cooked that way, and any way you can keep from overcooking it or having it dry out is best. i lived in victoria and grew up eating it so maybe i am a bit biased.

Don't let Mouse see this
He'll get the wrong idea :smokin

Sportcamper
08-15-2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.splogman.com/splusp/uploaded_images/ourduck-742124.jpg
Love Animals Don't Eat Them...

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM

Yeah...you may be right but I normally have excellent success with smoking "dry" cuts of meat like lamb roasts, beef roasts, turkey breasts etc. on the water smoker...it cooks with a combination of smoke and steam... unfortunately I think the problem was that I didn't use a strong "masking" marinade like soy sauce...I ended up with these beautiful golden brown, moist and tender goose breasts that tasted and smelled like rancid seaweed...:lol

ducks
08-15-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm Hungry
NO DUCK FOR YOU :madrun :madrun

Gatita
08-15-2006, 01:22 PM

But you are so tasty.

Damn duck nazi.

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/caveman.jpg

This pic reminds me of someone on this board....

leemajors
08-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah...you may be right but I normally have excellent success with smoking "dry" cuts of meat like lamb roasts, beef roasts, turkey breasts etc. on the water smoker...it cooks with a combination of smoke and steam... unfortunately I think the problem was that I didn't use a strong "masking" marinade like soy sauce...I ended up with these beautiful golden brown, moist and tender goose breasts that tasted and smelled like rancid seaweed...:lol

yeah i have a electric water smoker too, it's great. smoking venison backstrap is a great way to cook it.

Mr Dio
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Damn duck nazi.

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/caveman.jpg

This pic reminds me of someone on this board....

WHO????????????