PDA

View Full Version : idiots on e-bay

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2006, 12:37 PM
bidding must be like a drug to some people where they just lose their frigging minds...I have been watching/bidding on several items (used, high quality fishing reels and rods for personal use) and these people are frigging crazy...I just had one item go PAST the "buy it now" price for the same item NEW AND IN THE BOX! I quit bidding a long time ago...I'm only buying used if I can steal it...what the hell are these people thinking?

mcornelio
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
:lol some people get addicted like crack... i have a cousin who i cant let on my computer for 1 second because he will go crazy bidding on shit.... he bought an mp3 player for double the price that it costs at best buy thats 5 minutes away... they like lose it and just go crazy bidding :lol

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
was it a famous rod or something? lol

that is rare, for the items I buy atleast.

naaa...it was a commercially available reel that retails for about $200 and is available "buy it now" in the $150's...

MannyIsGod
08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Thats weird.

I buy things on eBay when I know its a good deal. I bought a US soccer jersey that retails for 75 for 20. I got my telescope on there. Just random things that I know I'm getting a better price on.

JoeChalupa
08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I buy art on ebay.

Gatita
08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
bidding must be like a drug to some people where they just lose their frigging minds...I have been watching/bidding on several items (used, high quality fishing reels and rods for personal use) and these people are frigging crazy...I just had one item go PAST the "buy it now" price for the same item NEW AND IN THE BOX! I quit bidding a long time ago...I'm only buying used if I can steal it...what the hell are these people thinking?

I don't bid till the end.

http://www.auctionstealer.com/secure/login.cfm

ChumpDumper
08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I don't bid til the end either. I would go nuts on occasion, but it was never anything I could easily get elsewhere -- mostly out-of-print CDs and CD sets. At least the sets hold their value. I noticed over the years that high auction prices for single CDs often prompted record labels to reissue them, most of the time with superior mastering and packaging. I've learned to wait with those.

Gatita
08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
so how does that work? you have to give them your ebay login/pass?

smells fishy

I have used it for many years. It is not a scam.

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I don't bid til the end either. I would go nuts on occasion, but it was never anything I could easily get elsewhere -- mostly out-of-print CDs and CD sets. At least the sets hold their value. I noticed over the years that high auction prices for single CDs often prompted record labels to reissue them, most of the time with superior mastering and packaging. I've learned to wait with those.

Same here.
If it's limited edition/hand-numbered/out of print/original pressing, then I'll make somewhat of a ludicrous bid, but more often than not, there's some other clown out there who'll drop an even MORE insane bid on the same item.
Such is life in the eBay world.
:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I've done it alot with jazz CDs.

Mosaic sets will never come back, so they keep their value. But I'm sure someone at Blue Note keeps some kind of tabs on the bidding on their out-of-print titles. Almost every CD I've seen hit the "ridiculous" level of $40-50 for a single CD has found it's way onto the reissue list within a year or two. All the sudden the best version is available everywhere for 10 bucks and you're stuck with an inferior product on which you spent three times that amount on eBay.