PDA

View Full Version : Tigers payroll 2007

DarkReign
08-16-2006, 11:12 AM
After arguing about Placido Polanco being a steal-deal, I obviously looked at Tigers payroll 2006.

I see BIG problems looming this offseason unless Mr Illitch opens his pocketbook.

Expiring Contracts in the Pitching Staff:

Troy Percival (thank God)
Jeremy Bonderman - 4 years in the league after completion of 2006 season
Chris Spurling - 3.146 years (no biggie)
Nate Robertson - 3.065 years (could sign him for a reasonable amount)
Fernando Rodney - 3.137 (helluva bullpen guy, dont want to lose him)
Jason Grilli - 0.118 - good arm, still a rookie, not going to cost much
Craig Dingman - 1.111 - AAA guy, maybe a small upside
Ramon Colon - 1.027 - helluva bullpen guy, not as important as Fernando though
Wil Ledezma - 1.144 - Need this young left hander, a total bargain
Zach Miner - rookie - He wins, I dont know how and I dont care. Sign him.
Joel Zumaya - rookie - this isnt much of a debate

Position Players

Sean Casey - has really delivered lately
Dmitri Young - after his rehab stint, a .400 hitter with no signs of slowing
Brandon Inge - exceptional natural athlete. Im not buying his managers praise though.
Craig Monroe - I have a feeling this guy is going to blossom soon. He is clutch.
Vance Wilson - nice backup catcher. Im sure he doesnt like the role though, he wil lexplore his options.
Omar Infante - nice backup infield/outfield. Im sure he will resign for a similar role.
Chris Shelton - 1B of the future (I guess). With Casey, I dont know how this turns out.
Marcus Thames - 1 tool player. Dont care one way ot the other
Curtis Granderson - exceptional. K's alot, but I sincerely believe he will correct that in his early career.
Brent Clevelan - really showed something in his time in the bigs. Definately sign him.
Nook Logan - hes in AA for a reason. Peace dude.

I highlighted Inge only because this is his first year in a single position outside of catcher. After laboring away with this horrible team for years, he deserves another year at 3B to see if he can grow as a hitter in that position. 20 HRs are great, .245 is not.

With the current roster, the Tigs sit at ~$82 million. Without knowing the inner-workings of MLB free agency, some of these pitchers are going to get BIG raises.

Will Mr. Illitch open his checkbook and pay all these young pitchers? He has to at some point. That could throw the Tigers into the $100 million range if you combine the position players, etc.

Thats uncharted territory for this organization and owner. But thats what it costs to have a consistent winner if your organization doesnt reside in Oakland (exceptional pitching scouts).

Will they (Mr Illitch and Co.) do what it takes to retain the big, young guns and maybe even add players in areas they lack based on this years performance?

If not, this may be the first and last year of REAL contention for the Tigers.

DarkReign
08-16-2006, 11:21 AM
6 years in MLB to become a FA.

*whew*

After putting so much work into this thread, that fact almost negates it. Oh well, discuss.

Vizzini
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
After arguing about Placido Polanco being a steal-deal, I obviously looked at Tigers payroll 2006.

I see BIG problems looming this offseason unless Mr Illitch opens his pocketbook.

Expiring Contracts in the Pitching Staff:

Troy Percival (thank God)
Jeremy Bonderman - 4 years in the league after completion of 2006 season
Chris Spurling - 3.146 years (no biggie)
Nate Robertson - 3.065 years (could sign him for a reasonable amount)
Fernando Rodney - 3.137 (helluva bullpen guy, dont want to lose him)
Jason Grilli - 0.118 - good arm, still a rookie, not going to cost much
Craig Dingman - 1.111 - AAA guy, maybe a small upside
Ramon Colon - 1.027 - helluva bullpen guy, not as important as Fernando though
Wil Ledezma - 1.144 - Need this young left hander, a total bargain
Zach Miner - rookie - He wins, I dont know how and I dont care. Sign him.
Joel Zumaya - rookie - this isnt much of a debate

Position Players

Sean Casey - has really delivered lately
Dmitri Young - after his rehab stint, a .400 hitter with no signs of slowing
Brandon Inge - exceptional natural athlete. Im not buying his managers praise though.
Craig Monroe - I have a feeling this guy is going to blossom soon. He is clutch.
Vance Wilson - nice backup catcher. Im sure he doesnt like the role though, he wil lexplore his options.
Omar Infante - nice backup infield/outfield. Im sure he will resign for a similar role.
Chris Shelton - 1B of the future (I guess). With Casey, I dont know how this turns out.
Curtis Granderson - exceptional. K's alot, but I sincerely believe he will correct that in his early career.
Brent Clevelan - really showed something in his time in the bigs. Definately sign him.
Nook Logan - hes in AA for a reason. Peace dude.

I highlighted Inge only because this is his first year in a single position outside of catcher. After laboring away with this horrible team for years, he deserves another year at 3B to see if he can grow as a hitter in that position. 20 HRs are great, .245 is not.

With the current roster, the Tigs sit at ~$82 million. Without knowing the inner-workings of MLB free agency, some of these pitchers are going to get BIG raises.

Will Mr. Illitch open his checkbook and pay all these young pitchers? He has to at some point. That could throw the Tigers into the $100 million range if you combine the position players, etc.

Thats uncharted territory for this organization and owner. But thats what it costs to have a consistent winner if your organization doesnt reside in Oakland (exceptional pitching scouts).

Will they (Mr Illitch and Co.) do what it takes to retain the big, young guns and maybe even add players in areas they lack based on this years performance?

If not, this may be the first and last year of REAL contention for the Tigers.

A salary cap is in place for the NHL, which will limit Illitch's free spending on his beloved Red Wings, attendence is way up at Comerica Park, I'd be willing to wager that merchandise sales have also skyrocketed. If they make a run into the postseason, that is going to be millions more in ticket, merchandise and concession sales right there. Keep in mind that the Tigers have Humberto Sanchez, Jordan Tata, and Jair Jugerens as pitchers waiting in the minors for a spot on the big league club, (along with newly signed Andrew Miller a few years out as well) and while they are a little lean in position players, the ball park in which they play is far more suited for exceptional pitching than exceptional hitting, and of course the old adage of good pitching will beat good hitting, they have a bright future for sure. Mike Illitch will do what it takes to keep the team sucessful. Anyone who is as sucessful in business as he is, is going to have a little hubris in being able to take anything and make it sucessful. The Tigers, and the way Mr. Illitch has run the Tigers (the Tigers only, nothing to do with the Red Wings) have been the laughing stock of a great sports town for the last decade, and I'm sure he will do everyhting he can to make sure that things never return to the way they were.

DarkReign
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I am hopeful that you are correct.

I didnt know I enjoyed baseball this much. I dont have a sports memory of the Tigers being competitive (i was 4 in 84, and didnt even like sports until about 12).

Started watching in 2000 and havent looked back.

Vizzini
08-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I didnt know I enjoyed baseball this much. I dont have a sports memory of the Tigers being competitive (i was 4 in 84, and didnt even like sports until about 12).

My first sports memory is the last game of '87 season when they swept the Blue Jays and won the American League East by 1 game. Frank Tanana pitching a complete game and recording an assist on the final out will never be forgotten. It is so fun to actually have a winning baseball team.

jochhejaam
08-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Illitch opened the pocketbook for former GM Randy Smith (the worst GM in the history of baseball) and he got burnt big time (Higginson, Easley, etc., the only good thing being Juan Gonzalez turning down the Tigers 8 year $148,000,000 offer (we'd still owe him for 2-3 more years if he'd signed).

He's willing to pay and Dombroski/Leyland are producing, winning and drawing fans like they haven't done in almost 20 years.

I'm optimistic regarding the Tigers future.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I would like to see the Tigers stay competitive.

I've always been a fan of teams who really try to go through their systems with the occasional FA signing for some needs.

Since both of my teams have little to no shot of making the playoffs, I've been trying to follow the Tigers more through this season (and for some strange reason, the D-Backs).

mike detroit
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
My first sports memory is the last game of '87 season when they swept the Blue Jays and won the American League East by 1 game. Frank Tanana pitching a complete game and recording an assist on the final out will never be forgotten. It is so fun to actually have a winning baseball team.

my first sports memory was watching the tigers win the world series on tv at my grandparents house, because my parents were at the game. i was 7. we had a patch of grass in the backyard that was torn from the field at tiger stadium that day.

slayermin
08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Only if you guys could steal Prince from the Brewers. That would be cool.

Does Rob Deer have a kid? :lol

Burn531
08-17-2006, 02:07 AM
So wait all those players you listed are FA's next offseason?

It could be a problem if we don't re-sign some of those guys.

jochhejaam
08-17-2006, 05:53 AM

He crushed one last night hitting it well out of the ball park and a couple of innings later he through a frozen-rope, perfect strike from 300 feet out in center field to the catcher! :spless:

Marklar MM
08-17-2006, 08:06 AM
He crushed one last night hitting it well out of the ball park and a couple of innings later he through a frozen-rope, perfect strike from 300 feet out in center field to the catcher! :spless:

He does have a hell of an arm.

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
He does have a hell of an arm.

An Inge-like cannon. Bummer the runner didnt round 3rd (think it was Ortiz?).

Vizzini
08-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Does Rob Deer have a kid? :lol

Yeah, he all ready plays for the Tigers, his name is Curtis Granderson, and while they may not look alike, you should be able to tell they are father and son b/c of how many times they both strike out. :lol :lol :lol

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 10:47 AM
So wait all those players you listed are FA's next offseason?

It could be a problem if we don't re-sign some of those guys.

Yeah, but unless yuo have 6 years in the MLB you dont qualify for Unrestricted status. They may have arbitration rights, but the club has the final say as to whether they stay or go.

Im sure there is an age limit too, but total guess here, I would think its probably 27 or 28. Robertson and Bonderman are nowhere near.

Still have to pay Bondo though. Have to. Dont want him being unhappy. The kid is 23 and already a top 5 pitcher in the major leagues. Pay the man, sign him up for 6+ years (with injury clauses for reduced salary).

Burn531
08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Wilson agrees to $1.9 million, two-year extension with Tigers

DETROIT (AP) -- Vance Wilson and the Detroit Tigers agreed Thursday to a $1.9 million, two-year extension that keeps the backup catcher under contract through the 2008 season.

Wilson is batting .273 with four homers and 15 RBIs for the Tigers, who have been pleased with his play behind Ivan Rodriguez since acquiring Wilson from the New York Mets before the 2005 season.

Entering Thursday's game against the Texas Rangers, Wilson did not have an error in 43 games at catcher.

Wilson gets $950,000 annually and would earn $25,000 each for 350 and 400 plate appearances, and $50,000 for 450 plate appearances.

He is making $750,000 this year and can earn $20,000 in performance bonuses: $10,000 each for 175 and 200 plate appearances.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoZOsRXDfCpFMVHxRrp0oCMRvLYF?slug=ap-tigers-wilson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Vizzini
08-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Wilson agrees to $1.9 million, two-year extension with Tigers

DETROIT (AP) -- Vance Wilson and the Detroit Tigers agreed Thursday to a $1.9 million, two-year extension that keeps the backup catcher under contract through the 2008 season.

Wilson is batting .273 with four homers and 15 RBIs for the Tigers, who have been pleased with his play behind Ivan Rodriguez since acquiring Wilson from the New York Mets before the 2005 season.

Entering Thursday's game against the Texas Rangers, Wilson did not have an error in 43 games at catcher.

Wilson gets $950,000 annually and would earn $25,000 each for 350 and 400 plate appearances, and $50,000 for 450 plate appearances.

He is making $750,000 this year and can earn $20,000 in performance bonuses: $10,000 each for 175 and 200 plate appearances.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoZOsRXDfCpFMVHxRrp0oCMRvLYF?slug=ap-tigers-wilson&prov=ap&type=lgns

While he isn't ideal for the everyday catcher position, he is great in the back up role. This a good signing by the Tigs, even if Pudge gets hurt, he will still be a good compliment to whomever they would get to replace Rodriguez as the starter.

jochhejaam
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Vance Wilson - nice backup catcher. Im sure he doesnt like the role though, he will explore his options.

[QUOTE=Burn531]Wilson agrees to $1.9 million, two-year extension with Tigers

Exploration over already? A Ponce de Leon he's not.

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE]

Exploration over already? A Ponce de Leon he's not.

Holy shit! Is that not weird that this deal goes down today?!

Burn531
08-18-2006, 02:38 AM
At least Vance is a good back-up if heaven forbid Pudge was to go down with an injury.

jochhejaam
08-19-2006, 08:48 PM

We could use a solid starter in place of him. How about Clevland in center for now, along with Monroe and Ordonez?

Thames is batting .183 over the last 2 months (17 for 93) with 26 strikeouts. On top of that he's a poor fielder and base runner.
He's killin' us.