PDA

View Full Version : Artest defends brawl actions to children

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
DETROIT -- Ron Artest, talking to children as part of his community service sentence, defended his actions in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history.

"Someone started trouble and I ended it," Artest told about 50 children Wednesday at a panel on black empowerment at the Judge Mathis Community Center. "I would always encourage you to protect yourself but in certain situations, if you can avoid them, avoid them."

Artest was at the center of the November 2004 brawl at a Detroit Pistons game. It started when Artest, then with the Indiana Pacers, fouled Pistons center Ben Wallace late in a blowout game.

As the confrontation on the court appeared to calm down, a fan hit Artest, who was lying on the scorer's table, with a cup. Artest charged into the stands and threw punches, along with teammate Stephen Jackson.

Pistons fan John Green was convicted of punching Artest but was found not guilty of throwing a drink on the player.

"I like John Green, he's real," Artest said. "I don't have any problems with John Green. He did something really stupid but a lot of people do stupid things. God forgives, so I'm forgiving too."

But Artest, who now plays for the Sacramento Kings, said he really doesn't think about that night in The Palace of Auburn Hills.

"It's so over. That night has been so far over, I really don't have any thoughts on it," he said.

Artest, Jackson and several teammates were sentenced to one-year probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault charges. All were ordered to perform community service, which Artest is scheduled to do in the Detroit area through Sunday.

Artest spoke about his upbringing in a broken home and how past drug dealing almost landed him in jail. He said he started getting into trouble after his parents divorced when he was 13.

"I was very sad and I always wished they got back together, but they're not," Artest said. "If that happens to anybody, you have to worry about yourself. You can't worry about your parents at that time, because obviously they aren't thinking about you, they're thinking about themselves."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2551458

:lol

Winnipeg_Spur
08-16-2006, 03:26 PM
"Someone started trouble and I ended it," Artest told about 50 children Wednesday at a panel on black empowerment at the Judge Mathis Community Center.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Artest spoke about his upbringing in a broken home and how past drug dealing almost landed him in jail. He said he started getting into trouble after his parents divorced when he was 13.

"I was very sad and I always wished they got back together, but they're not," Artest said. "If that happens to anybody, you have to worry about yourself. You can't worry about your parents at that time, because obviously they aren't thinking about you, they're thinking about themselves."
WTF? Keep that nutcase away from children please. What the hell kind of advice is that?!

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Its almost as bad as having Tyrome Biggums come in and talk to the class

JamStone
08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Excerpt cut out of the story:

ARTEST: "Kids, I suggest if you have a chemical imbalance, don't get it taken care of until you're older, because sometimes they work like steroids and make you meaner and more competitive. Being crazy can help you become a professional athlete. Live long and prosper. Oh, and if you're a true warrior, you'll buy some of my cds I brought in this crate. I dare you not to buy one."

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Man, who was the guy that thought having Ron Artest come in and talk to the kids is a good idea?

Crookshanks
08-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm sure all the parents are going to be real pleased when little Susie or Johnny comes home and repeats the what "famous and rich basketball player" said!

midgetonadonkey
08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I find Artest to be an incredible role model. I would let him teach my children.

midgetonadonkey
08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Fuck, I'd hire him as my kid's nanny.

spurs=bling
08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
:lmao !!!!!!!!!!

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-16-2006, 05:22 PM
jesus christ people...why are yall so ignorant,the guy is forgiving,give him a chance(yes im serious)i mean artest IS HUMAN he has the right to defend himself especially from the cruel demons of detriot.what really bothers me is that piss ed on fans still se him as the bad guy...and yet the guy who threw that cup is enjoying his life in the harmless detriot:rolleyes:they sure have some nice police/security/judge system there...

sa_butta
08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Fuck, I'd hire him as my kid's nanny.At least your kids would know how to kick some ass if anyone every fucked with them.

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-16-2006, 05:49 PM
He was defending himself its not like he was bored and said"oh lets fight with the fans"the cruel criminals from detriot provoked him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
He was defending himself its not like he was bored and said"oh lets fight with the fans"the cruel criminals from detriot provoked him.

Defense? From a flying cup? You'll take any opportunity to bash Detroit even if it means sounding like an absolute retard in the process.

NBA Junkie
08-16-2006, 07:04 PM
jesus christ people...why are yall so ignorant,the guy is forgiving,give him a chance(yes im serious)i mean artest IS HUMAN he has the right to defend himself especially from the cruel demons of detriot.what really bothers me is that piss ed on fans still se him as the bad guy...and yet the guy who threw that cup is enjoying his life in the harmless detriot:rolleyes:they sure have some nice police/security/judge system there...

Dude, ya gotta get rid of this hate for Detroit. It will consume you.

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Defense? From a flying cup? You'll take any opportunity to bash Detroit even if it means sounding like an absolute retard in the process.

so if someone throws you a cup in your face while you are resting at the scoreboard,you just say "have a nice day",considering you think its retarded for people to defend theirselves...face it dude,there has not been a NBA brawl in any other city but detriot.their city clearly has a cruel mentality and their fans easley portray that,dont belive me?then go to google.com and type detroit's crime rate.dont get mad if i say they are commiting a lot of crimes.im just saying things how they are.but then again its retard behavior saying the truth,at least according to you.

Leetonidas
08-16-2006, 08:58 PM
so if someone throws you a cup in your face while you are resting at the scoreboard,you just say "have a nice day",considering you think its retarded for people to defend theirselves...face it dude,there has not been a NBA brawl in any other city but detriot.their city clearly has a cruel mentality and their fans easley portray that,dont belive me?then go to google.com and type detroit's crime rate.dont get mad if i say they are commiting a lot of crimes.im just saying things how they are.but then again its retard behavior saying the truth,at least according to you.

They threw a plastic cup at him. It doesn't matter what spurs_fan_in_exile would do, because he's not an NBA player. Artest should've just stayed in his seat and let security do their job. Throwing a plastic cup at someone shouldn't warant getting your ass kicked by a 6'9" strong NBA player.

samikeyp
08-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Who let this guy near kids?

cecil collins
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
They threw a plastic cup at him. It doesn't matter what spurs_fan_in_exile would do, because he's not an NBA player. Artest should've just stayed in his seat and let security do their job. Throwing a plastic cup at someone shouldn't warant getting your ass kicked by a 6'9" strong NBA player.
He actually remained pretty calm in a tense situation. Ben Wallace was trying to fight, and Artest was going to stay out of it. No matter how cool he seemed, the adrenaline must have been pumping. It's easy for some fat stupid fan to say he shouldn't have gone up there, but that was a tense situation, and some meathead lit the fuse.

Phil Hellmuth
08-16-2006, 11:56 PM
LOL @ espn for showing him with a pissed off look in the video box.

JamStone
08-17-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm a Pistons fan and I don't really have a problem with Artest. I think he's kind of crazy, but a lot of the things he says have at least some merit. However, he's a little hypocritical in his statement about someone starting something and him ending it, because Ben Wallace started something with Artest and Artest did not appear as if he wanted to end that. But, when a fan did something, Artest decided to end it.

But, at any rate, Artest was wrong to a certain degree. And, there were plenty of Pistons fans in the Palace that night were completely and unjustifiably wrong in their actions as well.

That was a truly sad day in sports. I don't mind talking about it, but the topic has been discussed to death. Many people at fault. Artest was one of them. Ben Wallace was one of them. Many Pistons were also among them.

While Artest is always an interesting discussion piece, time to move on from the brawl already ... nearly two years later.

Bob Lanier
08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
:smokin

Leetonidas
08-17-2006, 01:45 PM
He actually remained pretty calm in a tense situation. Ben Wallace was trying to fight, and Artest was going to stay out of it. No matter how cool he seemed, the adrenaline must have been pumping. It's easy for some fat stupid fan to say he shouldn't have gone up there, but that was a tense situation, and some meathead lit the fuse.

I agree with that, and the fans were idiots for acting the way they did and I know Ron has a short fuse, but he should've tried to stay calm. And what the hell was Stephen Jackson doing beating on people?

ChumpDumper
08-17-2006, 02:26 PM
:lmao he couldn't even say he made a mistake in attacking the wrong white guy.

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-17-2006, 07:14 PM

so since he is an nba player he cannot defend himself....if we are talking about security here then there should be more security at the palace of the burned hills,cuz lets face the real world there have been many incidents there(not as big as the brawl)but still waaay too many incidents betwin pissed on fans and inocent players.

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Who let this guy near kids?

:rolleyes

this is the behavior im talking about...please dont take this as an offense but you sounded just like a pissed on fan...artest is controversial yes but its not like he will randomly attack children,he is not an animal(as much as i love animals)i have to say he does have a concience.although when i really think about it...it wouldnt be so bad if he punched some kids from detriot,i loooove watching the people from detriot suffer.

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 08:44 PM
so since he is an nba player he cannot defend himself....if we are talking about security here then there should be more security at the palace of the burned hills,cuz lets face the real world there have been many incidents there(not as big as the brawl)but still waaay too many incidents betwin pissed on fans and inocent players.

Youre a fucking douchebag. Ask the BadBoys how many times they were spit on, had shit thrown at them.

Fuck you.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Its almost as bad as having Tyrome Biggums come in and talk to the class
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9461/tyronebiggums6sd.jpg

REDLION#22(FireKing)
08-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Youre a fucking douchebag. Ask the BadBoys how many times they were spit on, had shit thrown at them.

Fuck you.

meh...your post sounded desperate...if the bad boys were really thrown all that then show me some PROOF.but i dont get why you re so mad,they take shit as if it was flowers

TheSanityAnnex
08-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Davidson: Critics' words mean little to Artest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...15165365c.html

Critics' words mean little to Artest
By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:01 am PDT Friday, August 18, 2006

Ron Artest attended the Detroit Tigers game Thursday night, armed with a broad grin, typical charm and a hearty handshake for the dozens who said hello.

Oh, and he wore a Tigers cap.

The Kings forward, in Detroit as part of his community service assignment from his role in the Nov. 19, 2004, NBA brawl, said he gladly donned the Tigers' colors as a goodwill gesture. As Artest reminded in a cell phone interview during the middle innings, he is a spirited and emotional fellow.

He is not a bad guy, he insisted. But he has been attached to a hideous incident. And when the community service initially was discussed, Artest said he wanted to return to Detroit "to show that there's a lot of good in me."

"I'm glad I'm here, really," he said. "The people here have been really great, very cool. I must have passed 1,000 people already -- and the Tigers' fans are real."

This was one day after Artest's comments to a group of Detroit-area children included him defending his role in the brawl. He said he knew the national media criticized him for his quote, "Someone started trouble, and I ended it."

"I don't expect everyone to like me," he said Thursday. "Some people, like fans here, they're open-minded. Some media, I think they'll stay one-sided forever. It's old. They're not letting it go. But not the fans. They've been great."

Artest said the baseball game was uneventful, sans the handshakes. No harsh words from someone in the cheap seats, and no beer cups hurled his way, unlike the one that landed on him at the Palace of Auburn Hills and prompted him to charge into the stands.

"That wouldn't be very smart," Artest said of any flying projectiles, with a laugh. "No, I don't see that happening again. That cup incident, that came from one bad apple in the batch. No bad apples here. I can't ever see that happening again."

And, heaven forbid, if he was peppered with a beverage again?

"I think security would check it out," he said.

Artest said for the second day in a row his message to Detroit-area children was about sportsmanship, overcoming odds and being strong and proud. Artest spoke of growing up in a broken family, of conquering adversity.

"You know what? I regret that the (brawl) incident happened, but the positive thing is, I had a chance to come here now and talk to a lot of kids and hopefully affect their lives with things I said," Artest said. "I told kids that I messed up growing up. I made mistakes. Some kids said that they messed up and that they'll always mess up. No, you can do better. You can. I did."

With that, Artest said he had to go. More Detroit folks to talk to, more Tigers fans with whom to debate pennant races.