PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Spurs Team?

2Cleva
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm currently in a different kind of FL where owners create their All-Time teams to go head to head in a mythical FL - where judges determine winners based on strategy, team makeup, etc... Some teams use eras (ex - Lakers, Celtics, Pistons) while others use entire history (like Seattle, Clipps). When you have an all-time team, you can pick a year of a player you want to go with all-time, with an era team (Bling Lakers for ex), you pick a particular year for Shaq.

I had the 3rd pick and after the Showtime Lakers were gone, I went with the entire history of the Spurs.

Tony Parker
George Gervin
Bruce Bowen
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Artis Gilmore
Sean Elliott
Manu Ginobili

Duncan, Robinson, Gilmore and Bowen all in their prime is a helluva defensive unit that can play both ways. With so many other big men to worry about - Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem - I figured the strongest stable of defensive big men was key to defend as well as protect the basket.

Now, I have the option of waiving a current player no my team to add anyone in Spurs history who isn't allocated to another team already but I don't know my Spurs history that well. I came across Johnny Moore. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

whottt
08-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Alvin Robertson

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roberal01.html

4 Time All Star
7 or 8 times All NBA Defense
3 Time Leader in Steals and Steals per game.

Holds the NBA record for steals per game and total steals in a season.

Second player and only guard in NBA history to record a Quadruple Double(but to be fair, Johnny Moore fell one steal short of doing the same thing).

2Cleva
08-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I wanted him but he got placed with the Bucks. Likely just throwing them a bone.

whottt
08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
That sucks...his greatest seasons were with the Spurs.

ShoogarBear
08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
James Silas. Especially if you get to pick their best year(s).

How do you play FL with historical players anyway?

whottt
08-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Larry Kenon or Mike Mitchell would be other selections.

You are a little short at the PF position...

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2006, 02:58 PM
James Silas. Larry Kenon. Mike Mitchell.

whottt
08-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I think I'd take Larry Kenon over Mitchell or Silas. Then again...I never saw Silas play when he was good.

whottt
08-16-2006, 03:02 PM
James Silas. Especially if you get to pick their best year(s).

I'm not saying this is how they will do it but...

This is a cool website:

http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/default.asp

2Cleva
08-16-2006, 03:07 PM

Make a strategic lineup and strategy of attack to convince a panel of judges. Definitely subjective but interesting.

Yes, I can pick the best years. James Silas looks like a keeper.

I can also sign FAs who played throughout the league. I'll address the depth at PF from that. But I wanted to be sure to snatch up any Spurs while I have priority.

David Matthew
08-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Will Perdue

picnroll
08-16-2006, 03:09 PM
If Alvin hadn't some severe social issues should/would his number be retired?

Nikos
08-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I never saw him play. But how good was Alvin on D? I know Jordan gave him mad props and that his defensive stats were amazing. But was he as good as Bowen in terms of pure main containment defense?

TDMVPDPOY
08-16-2006, 03:16 PM
how about the rifle chuck person

ShoogarBear
08-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Alvin was as good as they get. His strength was off the ball defense and passing lanes, in the Jason Kidd mold, but he was solid on the ball.

The few games in 85-86 when Alvin and Johnny Moore were together (before he got sick) weren't the Spurs best all-time backcourt, but they were by far the most dynamic.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
If it's just a best year type of thing, Rodman would be an obvious choice, but I suspect he's allocated elsewhere, like Robertson. Willie Anderson also had a couple of decent numbers seasons early in his career. If you can use ABA players, Swen Nater is another guy with some good numbers seasons -- he might fit the bill for another C/PF on that roster, if he hasn't been allocated to the Clippers.

ShoogarBear
08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I might take Kenon over Sean Elliott, especially if the judge is someone who didn't see Kenon play and would be heavily influenced by stats.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I might take Kenon over Sean Elliott, especially if the judge is someone who didn't see Kenon play and would be heavily influenced by stats.

I'd agree with that. It's impossible to know, but Kenon was a more dynamic scorer than Sean, was a great rebounder for a SF, and (if anyone of the judging panel ever saw him play) was just plain exceptional running the break.

2Cleva
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Interesting about Kenon. Thanks.

I'm thinking of trying to deal away Parker and a player for a big PG (got to match up with Magic down the line) and bringing in Silas as the closing PG off the bench.

THE SIXTH MAN
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Wasn't Rodman leading the league in boards during his tenure here?

2Cleva
08-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Rodman isn't a choice, he was allocated to the Bulls 6 team.

Rynospursfan
08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not saying this is how they will do it but...

This is a cool website:

http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/default.asp

That is a cool site. I simulated a series between 02/03 Spurs and the 04/05 Spurs. 02/03 won game 7.

phyzik
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
That is a cool site. I simulated a series between 02/03 Spurs and the 04/05 Spurs. 02/03 won game 7.

Away team: 1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 101
Home Team: 2005-06 San Antonio Spurs 98

Away: 1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 89
Home: 2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 68

Away: 1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 95
Home: 1991-92 Chicago Bulls 111

Away: 1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 105
Home: 1958-59 Boston Celtics 101

Away: 1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 89
Home: 1983-84 Boston Celtics 109

Interesting site, though some of the results are questionable. I cant believe it calculated such a beating to the current Mavericks, and no I did not Doctor it.

*edit*

I ran it 3 more times against the Mavericks because I thought it was rediculous... here are the results I got

1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 104
2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 95

1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 92
2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 97

1998-99 San Antonio Spurs 89
2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 85

and just for fun...

Parker, Duncan, Bowen, Manu and Finley starting
2005-06 San Antonio Spurs 90
2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 102

Parker, Duncan, Bowen, Manu and Rasho starting
2005-06 San Antonio Spurs 97
2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 81

Parker, Duncan, Bowen, Manu and Nazr starting
2005-06 San Antonio Spurs 87
2005-06 Dallas Mavericks 89

Spurologist
08-16-2006, 06:03 PM
does Menk Bateer count

whottt
08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I never saw him play. But how good was Alvin on D? I know Jordan gave him mad props and that his defensive stats were amazing. But was he as good as Bowen in terms of pure main containment defense?

He was flat out better than Bruce in just about every facet, and his attitude wasn't particularly bad when he played here.....although I don't know if he could have been as effective against larger players as Bruce is.

whottt
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Rodman isn't a choice, he was allocated to the Bulls 6 team.

I'd bitch about this if I were you...

There is absolutely no reason to make Robertson a Buck instead of a Spur. All of his best seasons and career highlights were with the Spurs.

Just like Rodman really has no business being a Bull...he only played there for 3 years.

venitian navigator
08-17-2006, 02:40 AM
pg Moore - Silas - Parker (Dawkins)
sg Gervin - Ginobili - Robertson
sf Mitchell - Elliott - Bowen -
pf Kenon - Rodman - Cummings (Banks)
c Duncan - Gilmore - Robinson -

My favourite starting five (in their prime) :

Moore - Robertson - Duncan - Robinson - Gilmore

6th Ginobili
7th Rodman
8th Mitchell
9th Parker (Dawkins)
10th Elliott
11th Bowen
12th Gervin (Silas)

13th Silas (Gervin)
14th Cummings
15th Kenon

My preference goes to players I've seen on the court (I've never seen Silas and Kenon play).
Young Duncan was able (he showed that in one all star game) to play also small forward; Robinson always run like and more than the best power forwards.
Both these players also had a good outside shoot.
I've not seen Artis (my favourite spurs player of all times...) in his prime (ABA) but just in the '80 (Bulls/Spurs)...However, also at that time, he was a real beast, maybe the strongest athlete we ever had, a defensive force and a reliable option on offense (not the last years, when he slowed down).
In the back court, my privilege, with that strong front court, goes to the best assist man/outside shooter I remember in a spurs uniform and to one of the strongest athletes ever in nba ... both, also, very good defenders.

Reserves have a very good chance to impact the game changing the pace (Parker/Dawkins ), attacking the basket (Gino,Elliott) and defending (Rodman, Bowen) or giving baskets when needed (Gervin -I ranked him 12th just because of his defense - Mitchell).
Our pg in case of a miss match wit a strong one will be, like has already been, Gino

wattabaout?

SenorSpur
08-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Alvin Robertson

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roberal01.html

4 Time All Star
7 or 8 times All NBA Defense
3 Time Leader in Steals and Steals per game.

Holds the NBA record for steals per game and total steals in a season.

Second player and only guard in NBA history to record a Quadruple Double(but to be fair, Johnny Moore fell one steal short of doing the same thing).

Don't forget that Alvin won DPOY in 85-86. Over the course of that season he recorded over 300+ steals. Funny thing about that is despite winning DPOY, he only made second team All-Defense that season.

Despite being only 6'4", he was a superb rebounder on both ends (much more so than Bruce) and was a far more physical defender. Played the passing lanes with reckless abandon and was tenacious at applying on-the-ball pressure.

He really worked hard to develop his outside shot and created a lot of "easy" points for himself and others simply off turnovers and opportunity baskets.

As someone mentioned earlier, I don't know that he was as effective as a one-on-one defender against taller players as is Bruce, but from baseline to baseline, there were few defenders in the league, then or now, better than him.

He was the reason the Spurs organization traded away Spurs legend, George Gervin to Chicago.

sijiexi
08-17-2006, 04:20 AM
making Robertson a Buck means to make money ,
yeah!i see
thank u
but the frase :be allocated to means to be appointed to somewhere

whottt
08-17-2006, 04:23 AM
making Robertson a Buck means to make money ,
yeah!i see
thank u
but the frase :be allocated to means to be appointed to somewhere

You wouldn't by any chance have any family members that go by the name of "ducks" would you?

joeyjfive
08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
So you select a season the player played for the team or just period? Does it have to be one of the years with the team cuz then you can select Dominique Wilkins?

SpurYank
08-17-2006, 09:12 AM
First Team

Silas
Gervin
Robinson
Duncan
Kenon

Second Team

Parker
Ginobili
Gilmore
Paultz
Bowen

2Cleva
08-17-2006, 10:50 AM
So you select a season the player played for the team or just period? Does it have to be one of the years with the team cuz then you can select Dominique Wilkins?

I can't select Wilkins because he's already on the Atlanta squad. If it was a player (Chuck Person for example) that isn't on any squad, I could select him - but only use one of the statistical seasons he had in SA.

Thanks for all the help. The judges took ABA ball into context of lesser competition so the rankins were as high for some of the players listed that I like so I didn't go with them.

Another aspect is salary - either based on value for older/retired players or current contracts for current players. I'll keep the board up to date if you don't mind - top prize is a couple of Lakers tickets to any game, so its getting my focus.

I've made my first deal - Tony Parker ($7.0) and Manu Ginobili ($8.0) for Penny Hardaway ($10.0). It created more cap space for me - I'm 8 mil under, and I also get to use Penny in his prime when he was a top 5 player in the game.

I'm close to dealing Gilmore for a sniper - I want Reggie Miller but I may "settle" for Drazen Petrovic. Drazen actually was a better shooter but Reggie has that clutch factor I want.

TDMVPDPOY
08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
My favourite starting five (in their prime) :

Moore - Robertson - Duncan - Robinson - Gilmore

i have drob play SF, he was pretty quick for his size, and i dont think any of the 3s will give him twable