PDA

View Full Version : Bowen officially doesn't make it

Kori Ellis
08-16-2006, 05:06 PM
USA Basketball Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo and USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced today the official 12 player roster for the USA World Championship Team. The USA opens FIBA World Championship preliminary group play on Aug. 19 against Puerto Rico in Sapporo, Japan. Preliminary play continues through Aug. 24, with the U.S. playing a total of five games over the six days.

Selected for the 2006 USA Basketball Men's World Championship Team were: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Chris Paul (New Orleans/ Oklahoma City Hornets); and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

"This has been a great process, it's difficult especially when you get down to the end because you get so attached to the last members of the team. Gilbert (Arenas) and Bruce (Bowen) are every bit a part of this team as the 12 others guys, it's just we can only go forward with 12. You have to make tough decisions and our group made that decision and we thank both of them. Gilbert unfortunately had an injury and Bruce was right there, he could just of easily be on the team because he did a good job. We appreciate that and now its time to concentrate on the 12 people we do have to go forward and try and win a gold medal," said Krzyzewski.

"I think we're very together; I think we're working hard; We're very unselfish; No one really cares who gets the credit. I think they all have one goal and that is to win. They've been easy to coach. I haven't had to worry about minutes, who's starting, that type of thing, although I do think we need to get into a little bit better rotation than we had when we were doing a platoon system, but we knew we would do that when we got down to 12."

"We now have one phase behind us regarding getting to the final 12 players and it was difficult because we really had a great group of guys. Making the selections was challenging because you could build a case for any one of the players to stay or not to stay. So we made the tough decision, we think the decision that was made protects us where we thought we needed some protection, up front. We have versatility in terms of swing people and defenders, which led us to make the final determination regarding Bruce (Bowen). It was very difficult. Bruce is a quality guy, a terrific defender, but it was a numbers game," stated Colangelo.

"We feel very good about where we are. We've had a very successful exhibition run. We had one little scare that was a wake up call and a good one. Other than that I think we have made progress in all of our games. We know a lot more about who were are and what we need to do. We're very focused, it's a hard working group and there's a lot of good chemistry here and that's something we sought," Colangelo added.

The averaged age of the 12 US players selected for the World Championship is 24.5 years old, with 30-year-old Miller listing as the oldest member of the team and 20-year-old Howard the youngest. The players also boast of an average of 4.25 NBA regular seasons of experience.

Krzyzewski is serving as head coach of the USA Senior Team and is being assisted by Syracuse University (N.Y.) and Hall of Fame mentor Jim Boeheim, Phoenix Suns head mentor Mike D'Antoni and Portland Trail Blazers head coach Nate McMillan.

The USA team is scheduled to train Aug. 17 and 18 in Sapporo, Japan, where it will play its preliminary group games of the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Men from Aug. 19-24.
Joining the US in preliminary Group D are China (Asia Zone champion and ranked #14), Italy (wild card qualifier and ranked #6), Puerto Rico (wild card qualifier and ranked #11), Senegal (Africa Zone runner-up and ranked #30) and Slovenia (European zone sixth place finisher and ranked #22).

All five of the USA's preliminary group game in the World Championship will be televised live by ESPN2.

The US will open the ‘06 Worlds on Aug. 19 facing Puerto Rico, a team it is very familiar with. Earning a 114-69 victory in the Aug. 3 in the State Farm USA Basketball Challenge in Las Vegas, the USA owns an all-time 7-1 record against Puerto Rico in World Championship play. In the opening game of the 2004 Olympics Puerto Rico stunned the Americans 92-73.

One day later, Aug. 20, the American men will face a Yao Ming led China squad. The United States is 4-0 against China in World Championship games, last recording an 84-65 victory in 2002. The two teams most recently met on Aug. 7 in Guangzhou, China, and with Ming out injured, the US posted a 119-73 victory.

Following a day off on Aug. 21, the US returns to action Aug. 22 against Slovenia, a team it has never previously faced in World Championship play.

On Aug. 23 the USA men will take on ‘04 Olympic silver medalist Italy. Italy, just prior to the ‘04 Olympics, handed the US a 95-78 loss in an exhibition game held in Cologne, Germany. However, the US owns an all-time 5-2 mark against Italy in World Championship play, having last met in 1998, a game the US claimed by an 80-77 margin.

The USA will close out preliminary round play on Aug. 24 facing Senegal, another team that the Americans have not faced before in the World Championships.

Composition of the other preliminary round groups are: Group A, which will play in Sendai City, consists of Argentina (2004 Olympic champion and ranked #3); Venezuela (Americas Zone third place finisher and ranked #20); France (European Zone third place finisher and ranked #10); Serbia & Montenegro (wild card qualifier and ranked #2); Lebanon (Asia Zone runner-up and ranked #26); and Nigeria (Africa Zone third place finisher and ranked #21). Group B will play in Hiroshima City and features Spain (European Zone fourth place finisher and ranked #5); Panama (Americas Zone fifth place finisher and ranked #34); Germany (European Zone runner-up and ranked #13); host Japan (ranked #25); New Zealand (Oceania Zone runner-up and ranked #16); and Angola (African Zone champion and ranked #17). Group C games will be held in Hamamatsu City and that group includes Lithuania (European Zone fifth place finisher and ranked #4); Brazil (Americas Zone champion and ranked #15); Greece (European Zone champion and ranked #8); Turkey (wild card qualifier and ranked #18); Australia (Oceania Zone champion and ranked #9); and Qatar (Asia Zone third place finisher and ranked #28).

At the '06 World Championship each team plays the other teams in its preliminary group and the top four finishing teams from each preliminary group will then qualify for the Eighth-Finals. Winners of the Eighth-Finals games will advance to the quarterfinals, while losers are eliminated from the competition. Winners of the quarterfinals games will advance to the medal round semifinals, while the quarterfinals losers will play in the consolation round semifinals and play out for fifth-eighth places. Winners of the medal round semifinals will advance to the gold medal game, while medal round semifinals losers will meet in the bronze medal game. All games from the Eighth-Finals to the Finals will be played on a one-game elimination basis for the gold medal. The games from the Eighth-Finals to the Finals will be played Aug. 26-Sept. 3 in Saitama, Japan.

2006 FIBA World Championship
Held every four years and considered international basketball's diamond event, the US has had mixed results in World Championship play.

Placing sixth and finishing with a 6-3 record in 2002, the 1998 USA World Championship Team originally was to be a team comprising NBA players. But when labor problems in the NBA prevented the use of their players, the USA team ended up comprising American players who were playing professionally overseas, in the CBA or in college. Despite formulating the team just weeks in advance of the Worlds, the US rolled to a surprising 7-2 finish and the bronze medal.

The US last claimed gold at the 1994 World Championship in Toronto, Canada. Behind the play of World Championship MVP Shaquille O'Neal, and Reggie Miller, Dominique Wilkins, Joe Dumars and others, the US finished 8-0 to take the gold medal and did so in dominating fashion, winning its eight games by an average of 37.7 points a game.

All told, the USA has won nine medals in World Championship play - three gold (1954, 1986 and 1994), three silver (1950, 1959 and 1982) and three bronze medals (1974, 1990 and 1998). Overall, USA teams have compiled a 97-26 win-loss record in the World Championships for a 78.9 winning percentage.

T Park
08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Good, come home, rest, and get ready for the season Bruce.

Still though, GO TEAM USA!!!

USA USA USA USA

jman3000
08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I had a feeling this would be the outcome regradless of how well he did. Overlooked and undervalued yet again.

orhe
08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
man if the USA gets burned by a opposing SG lol sparks all around

Beer is Good
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
What a surprise. I guess perimeter defense is not what they want after all. Maybe that's why Artest isnt on the team... :lol

boutons_
08-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Tough luck, Bruce.

I figure that you have figured out how to benefit from this experience anyway.

phyzik
08-16-2006, 05:12 PM
a little disapointed but not suprised at all.

midgetonadonkey
08-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Good, come home, rest, and get ready for the season Bruce.

:tu

Kori Ellis
08-16-2006, 05:14 PM
I wonder if he'll stay with the team and sit on the bench in street clothes or come home.

I'm sure he'll say he appreciated the experience.

angel_luv
08-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Now I really hope Slovenia kicks the U.S. tail. :lol

Seriously, congrats on a job well done Bruce. I am proud of you. :)

Mavs_man_41
08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Im so pissed Brad Miller made it....

MarkCuban
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
:smokin

Kori Ellis
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Im so pissed Brad Miller made it....

If Amare was healthy, I'm sure he would not have. :lol

shaggy17
08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
:tu :tu Great news! Now he can rest and be good to go for a full season rather then having the potiental risk of him burning out!

mavsfan1000
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
I have lost a lot of respect from Coach K on this decision. Jamison or Miller should be the first ones not to make it. Obviously defense is not a priority.

ALVAREZ6
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
As long as Arenas got cut, I'm happy

J.T.
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Damn no Bruce vs Manu. I was looking forward to that.

Just out of curiosity is this also going to be the 2008 games roster as well?

sa_butta
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I have lost a lot of respect from Coach K on this decision. Jamison or Miller should be the first ones not to make it. Obviously defense is not a priority.The US will get burned from the perimeter in the later rounds. International ball is all about shooters, too bad Bowen will not be there to help stop it.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Just out of curiosity is this also going to be the 2008 games roster as well?

No. The final 12 for the Olympics will come out of the original 25 invitees (which includes Kobe, Marion, Billups, etc.)

Kori Ellis
08-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I have lost a lot of respect from Coach K on this decision. Jamison or Miller should be the first ones not to make it. Obviously defense is not a priority.

Jamison has been playing well in these exhibition games. I think he's 4th in scoring behind Wade/LeBron/Carmelo.

They couldn't cut Miller because they'd be short of bigs.

mavsfan1000
08-16-2006, 05:34 PM
They got Bosh, Brand, and Howard. That's enough bigs imo. Miller could've been cut.

2centsworth
08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
From what I saw they barely gave Bruce a chance. He had one bad game to start against Puerto Rico and they never gave him a chance to make up for it. Oh well, how many "role players" get hyped as much as Bruce does?

Kori Ellis
08-16-2006, 05:36 PM
They got Bosh, Brand, and Howard. That's enough bigs imo. Miller could've been cut.

Then if one of those three gets hurt, you have no real depth. I don't like Miller, but understand why he was kept.

2centsworth
08-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Miller's jumper might come in handy.

Das Texan
08-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Go Argentina!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I understand why Bowen got cut, but I think he could of brought more to the team than Jamison. It's not like team USA needs scorers when Wade, Lebron, and Carmello can practically play the whole game.

dimsah
08-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Fuck Battier and Fuck Duke. Team USA is going to get lit up on the permieter with Battier guarding the man Bruce should have been in one of these games.

Who guards Dirk? Jamison? Howard? Brand? Because he's going to kill Battier.
Give me a fucking break. What else can Bruce do to get some respect?

BigVee
08-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Too bad for Bruce, but anything that adds to an already pissed off Spurs team to start the season is fine by me.

BruceBowenFan
08-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Sorry Bruce but hey he gave it a shot

M3//
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I really hope Ginobili torches the U.S. if they meet. And any other guy they face that Bruce should've been in there guarding.

The rest will be good for Bruce though, but still.. With Carmelo, Wade, and LeBron on the team, the fact that they still wanted to be more versatile on offense is hogwash.

gospursgojas
08-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Now I really hope Slovenia kicks the U.S. tail. :lol

Seriously, congrats on a job well done Bruce. I am proud of you. :)

First of all .....
Slovenia kicks the U.S tail :lol :lol :lol Yeah right.

Second of all .........traitor :spin

Spurologist
08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
So much for team leadership and D.

I saw the cut the coming.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Not terribly surprising. I'd think, aside from the wear and tear he'll avoid from not playing, Spurs fans can be pleased because not making that team might give Bruce a little something extra for the coming season -- that can't possibly be a bad thing.

SequSpur
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
No offense, but without Duncan and Pop's system, Bruce Bowen is not a dream teamer.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2006, 06:16 PM
No offense, but without Duncan and Pop's system, Bruce Bowen is not a dream teamer.

I don't dispute any of that, but I also thought the idea of building international teams after 2004 was to avoid the Dream Team mentality and to find guys who can fill roles to play alongside a handful of superstars. I guess they've done that to some extent, but this team looks suspiciously like a slightly deeper version of the 2004 USA Olympic Team.

angel_luv
08-16-2006, 06:18 PM
First of all ..... :lol :lol :lol Yeah right.

Second of all .........traitor :spin

You say that and yet I lived.

Interesting.
:lol

picnroll
08-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Rest up and bitch slap the Suns next year. :smokin

Solid D
08-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Coach K apparently was fine with Battier's and Joe Johnson's perimeter D. From what I saw, they both did well and contributed more offensively than Bruce did. Of course, I've always thought Shane Battier was a good NBA defender (and not just in college), although many don't share that view.

Bruce is the still the best perimeter defender and Ron Artest is a close second.

There is a possibility of injury (not to wish that) and if so, perhaps Bruce still has a chance of rejoining the NT.

K-State Spur
08-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks like they completely forgot why they added Bruce in the first place.

It shouldn't matter with this team anyways, but if we are in a situation where we have 5 scorers on the floor (with only one ball to spread out amongst them), and a good, but not great defender guarding the opponent's best perimeter player, nobody to blame but ourselves (and by ourselves, i mean coach Dookie).

K-State Spur
08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Coach K apparently was fine with Battier's and Joe Johnson's perimeter D. From what I saw, they both did well and contributed more offensively than Bruce did. Of course, I've always thought Shane Battier was a good NBA defender (and not just in college), although many don't share that view.

There's truth in that, but while they are good defenders, they are clearly a tier (at least) below Bowen.

And yes, they are far superior scorers, but you only need a couple of those on the floor at the same time. Having 5 scorers on the floor = 6th place in 2002 and 3rd in 2004.

That said, there is so much talent that this team should win just the same. But it's pretty obvious that the talk of making this team 'different' than the past groups was just talk. It's just another all-star team + Battier (K's favorite son at Dook).

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
USA Basketball... still hasn't learned a Pop damn thing.

SequSpur
08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Basketball is a game of scoring. Most of the coutries get that. Bowen doesn't fit the USA basketball mold.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2006, 06:37 PM

Bruce is the still the best perimeter defender and Ron Artest is a close second.

There is a possibility of injury (not to wish that) and if so, perhaps Bruce still has a chance of rejoining the NT.

Battier's a *good* defender, but I'd put him, on a scale of 1-5 as far as defense goes, two levels below Bowen.

The selfish side of me (Spurs fan) is glad to see Bruce not going through all the games, but as a proud American it pisses me off that Colangelo, D'Antoni, and Coach K forgot both why they invited Bowen in the first place as well as what happened to Team USA the last time it went up against the best perimeter players in the world.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I just better not hear anyone around USA basketball pointing the fingers at the players if they lose. They've got no one to blame but themselves.

spurschick
08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Depending on how he much he has bonded with the team, I think he should come home and spend time with the family. He travels so much during the season, he needs to experience as much time with his baby as he can.

exstatic
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Go Argentina!
Werd. Manu is going to TORCH them.

Amarelooms
08-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Honestly Bruce Bowen did not deserve to be there....

ducks
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I hope bowen goes home and does not share any of his d's secrets

ducks
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Werd. Manu is going to TORCH them.

heard manu is tired and exhausted thogh

DieMrBond
08-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Miller not being cut doesnt suprise me - he is pretty much the perfect center for the international game (from the USA). He passes very well, and hit the outside shot - which would help greatly versus zone defences.

I, like most here, would of liked Bruce to stay on the team (probably over Jamison - who just chucked it up, didnt he?) but oh well, bad luck, good try.

spurschick
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Honestly Bruce Bowen did not deserve to be there....

Hard worker, great attitude, team player, proven winner... you're right, he didn't deserve to be there. :rolleyes

polandprzem
08-16-2006, 07:17 PM
USA suck a$$

GO argentina go! But I think Spain will win it all this year

MarkCuban
08-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Fuck Battier and Fuck Duke. Team USA is going to get lit up on the permieter with Battier guarding the man Bruce should have been in one of these games.

Who guards Dirk? Jamison? Howard? Brand? Because he's going to kill Battier.
Give me a fucking break. What else can Bruce do to get some respect?

earn respect? for what? making a fool of himself every night. getting lit up by Dirk, fouling everybody he guards? he's a scrub. its a good thing coach K realized that and he'll be out of the league in about 2 years. im glad my rule changes took this cheater out of his game, and i wish only the worst for him in the future :flipoff

MarkCuban
08-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Hard worker, great attitude, team player, proven winner, classy guy... you're right, he didn't deserve to be there. :rolleyes

is it possible to have all those attributes at the same time? :wtf

stretch
08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
maybe its a good thing USA doesnt have him, because with the way FIBA officiates, he would foul out in like 5 minutes anyways.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
is it possible to have all those attributes at the same time? :wtf

You might ask David Robinson . . . or Tim Duncan . . . or Manu Ginobili.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2006, 07:58 PM

earn respect? for what? making a fool of himself every night. getting lit up by Dirk, fouling everybody he guards? he's a scrub. its a good thing coach K realized that and he'll be out of the league in about 2 years. im glad my rule changes took this cheater out of his game, and i wish only the worst for him in the future :flipoff

You might want to look in the mirror.

MarkCuban
08-16-2006, 08:03 PM
You might want to look in the mirror.

i see a sexy man with a billion more dollars than you every morning. :eyebrows but ill look in the mirror again if youd like

Budkin
08-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Bruce is always getting overlooked. Are we really all that surprised? Oh well, at least he'll be rested up for next season...

F Battier.

Louie Vega
08-16-2006, 08:26 PM
:lol earn respect? for what?

For having more rings than the whole mavs organization asshole!
Typical mavs fan! Classless assholes.
That is why your team will never win the big one.

Russ
08-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately, this is the way I thought it would play out . . .

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42803&highlight=bruce

MarkCuban
08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
For having more rings than the whole mavs organization asshole!

the big one? is that a championship? i've signed a lot of players to multi-year deals so that means we're the favorites right?

v2freak
08-16-2006, 08:58 PM
A dumb move. I have nothing else to say about this.

stretch
08-16-2006, 09:03 PM
actually, i dont think that fans determine the outcome of a team at all.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-16-2006, 09:04 PM
i see a sexy man with a billion more dollars than you every morning. :eyebrows but ill look in the mirror again if youd like

That still doesn't have a girlfriend........... thinks that make you go hmmmmmmmm???

Guru of Nothing
08-16-2006, 09:08 PM
I just might have to take a three hour road trip to Memphis this season.

T Park
08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
GO USA.

Screw all these people turning their back on their own country.

Fuck em USA.

Kick some ass.

Solid D
08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
I hope bowen goes home and does not share any of his d's secrets

That would have been the first thing most of the guys would have asked him to do. Show em his tricks.

Guru of Nothing
08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
I thought I was turning my back on shoe endorsements.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
GO USA.

Screw all these people turning their back on their own country.

Fuck em USA.

Kick some ass.

Oh, if only to have seen your posts should Bruce been injured playing in the WC...

SenorSpur
08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
No offense to Bruce, but I'm not surprised he didn't make the cut. While he was the premier defender on the team and one of the best in the league, I didn't think his offensive game, while much improved, had developed to the level to match his peers at this level of competition. After all, he's still an offensive role player.

On the bright side, he can now rest up and prepare for a championship run.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM

You couldn't pay me a billion dollars to take it up the ass like you do every night.

ATX Spur
08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Not surprising, but dumb nonetheless.

ATX Spur
08-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Oh, and being disappointed with decisions the USA coaching team made, or wanting to see other countries' teams play well is not "turning your back on your country". :rolleyes

spurschick
08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
GO USA. Screw all these people turning their back on their own country.

Personally, I think this is a bit extreme. I love international competition for what it is, not as another political front line. Just because people are rooting for a different team doesn't mean they're turning their back on their country. The US got kicked out early in the World Cup. Do you think it was wrong for Americans to root for Italy or France after that? Should they have just not watched anymore?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Personally, I think this is a bit extreme. I love international competition for what it is, not as another political front line. Just because people are rooting for a different team doesn't mean they're turning their back on their country. The US got kicked out early in the World Cup. Do you think it was wrong for Americans to root for Italy or France after that? Should they have just not watched anymore?

Melissa, I think it's quite obvious that TPark's answer is YES.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I hope for the team's sake that they don't get lit up by any of the superstar players they will face that they haven't faced in the warmup games. Considering that Bruce was the poster boy for the "new" concept of team USA, I have to say I'm disappointed, if not remotely surprised. Bill Walton said in the Korea game that Bruce wouldn't be team USA's defensive stopper because he "hadn't scored". That's kind of like selling your car and driving to work on your lawn mower because the car won't cut the grass.

Bob Lanier
08-16-2006, 10:50 PM
That analogy was more forced than a date with Ruben Patterson.

2centsworth
08-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Bruce has gone from Scrub to one of the most respected players in the league. How can you not be happy with that.

Guy has had an Awesome career! Not to mention he's made millions!!!!!

ducks
08-16-2006, 10:59 PM
That still doesn't have a girlfriend........... thinks that make you go hmmmmmmmm???
thinks he could buy one if he likes tits

rayray2k8
08-16-2006, 11:08 PM
The cut makes sense, so it dont bother me one bit.
Looking foward to Argintina vs. France and Manu against USA as well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-16-2006, 11:10 PM
So Battier beats out Bruce... why? Better offensive player, but if we wanted offensive players there are tons out there better than Battier. Therefore he must be there for his D... Battier is a better perimeter defender than Bruce? I think NOT!

Bad luck Bruce. As someone else said, overlooked and underappreciated as usual...

SequSpur
08-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Go England!

SequSpur
08-16-2006, 11:11 PM
So Battier beats out Bruce... why? Better offensive player, but if we wanted offensive players there are tons out there better than Battier. Therefore he must be there for his D... Battier is a better perimeter defender than Bruce? I think NOT!

Bad luck Bruce. As someone else said, overlooked and underappreciated as usual...

you forgot overrated.

THE SIXTH MAN
08-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Battier= Ex Duke player :angel

THE SIXTH MAN
08-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Go England!
Raise the bar.

stretch
08-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Not surprising, but dumb nonetheless.
i wouldnt say thats dumb at all. what would be dumb is taking someone like Lebron or Wade off the team, or putting allen iverson, vince carter, and stephon marbury on the court at the same time. only a complete homer would say that taking the weakest player off the team, just because he plays for the spurs, is a dumb move.

Louis
08-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I wonder if he'll stay with the team and sit on the bench in street clothes or come home.

I'm sure he'll say he appreciated the experience.

He'll be the waterboy... :lol

stretch
08-17-2006, 12:10 AM

probably because Battier is a more balanced player, hell just a better basketball player period, and wouldnt likely foul out in 5 minutes, like bowen probably would. if duncan is going to foul out quickly in every game under the FIBA officiating, then what makes anyone think that Bowen is going to fare any better? i dont think that tripping people, grabbing jerseys, and trying to sneak in a bunch of dirty little tricks that the NBA lets people get away with, will do too well in international play.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Jesus, just when you think the Mavs trolls can't get any stupider.

ATX Spur
08-17-2006, 12:20 AM
i wouldnt say thats dumb at all. what would be dumb is taking someone like Lebron or Wade off the team, or putting allen iverson, vince carter, and stephon marbury on the court at the same time. only a complete homer would say that taking the weakest player off the team, just because he plays for the spurs, is a dumb move.

How about 'short-sighted' then? What you call the 'weakest player' I call the 'best defender' on Team USA. We'll see how it plays out when we play teams with alot of offensive firepower. You'll be singing a different and more enlightened tune.

Louis
08-17-2006, 12:24 AM
probably because Battier is a more balanced player, hell just a better basketball player period, and wouldnt likely foul out in 5 minutes, like bowen probably would. if duncan is going to foul out quickly in every game under the FIBA officiating, then what makes anyone think that Bowen is going to fare any better? i dont think that tripping people, grabbing jerseys, and trying to sneak in a bunch of dirty little tricks that the NBA lets people get away with, will do too well in international play.
I agree....

Dex
08-17-2006, 12:32 AM
I think I honestly hope the US loses the World Championships now. And I hope they do it by getting burned on the perimeter. Maybe then they will get the lesson. USA Basketball apparently didn't learn shit from Athens. It's cool though. We can watch the national team alley-"oops" its way back to a 3rd place finish.

Don't get me wrong. I get the logistics of the whole situation and why he got cut. I still it's ridiculously short-sighted to have 12 offensive players and be kicking off the one credited defender you have on your team.

Sure, you may have to get rid of a better guy to keep him on the bench. At least you still had a plan B to throw out on the occasions that the offense stalls. And it will, just wait and see...Even All-Stars cant make shots sometimes.

K-State Spur
08-17-2006, 01:09 AM

uggghhh. you don't need balance from your 5th best offensive player on the floor. i don't give a crap how "BALANCED" he is, if battier is taking any significant number of shots for the team, we're in a hell of a lot of trouble. that last wing player should compliment the other guys in other areas. again, battier is a solid defender, but far from bowen's class in that regard.

besides, i don't think it should have even come down to bowen v. battier. just because jamison has been hot for a couple of games doesn't mean he brings more to the table than the other 2. yeah, he can score decently, but do you want him taking his usual number of shots in crunch time? or would you rather have carmelo & james shooting the ball and bowen guarding the other team's best player on the other side of the court? i rest my case.

Que Gee
08-17-2006, 01:15 AM
I think I honestly hope the US loses the World Championships now. And I hope they do it by getting burned on the perimeter. Maybe then they will get the lesson. USA Basketball apparently didn't learn shit from Athens. It's cool though. We can watch the national team alley-"oops" its way back to a 3rd place finish.

I am embarrassed that people actually root against the US because no Bruce...and on top of that, think that because Bruce is that much of an impact player that we could actually lose because of him not being on the team. Seriously people, as I said in the other thread, his defense, is not so much better that it out weighs a more balanced attack from other people on the squad.

Dex
08-17-2006, 01:27 AM
I am embarrassed that people actually root against the US because no Bruce...and on top of that, think that because Bruce is that much of an impact player that we could actually lose because of him not being on the team. Seriously people, as I said in the other thread, his defense, is not so much better that it out weighs a more balanced attack from other people on the squad.

This isn't war we're talking about, this is a game of basketball. To me, its not going to make a single lick of difference whether we win or lose these World Championships. I'll ro0t for the US during the Olympics, but I didn't care about the WCs 4 years ago, and I'm finding myself caring less and less now.

I don't WANT the US to lose. Obviously, this is why I'm pissed off, is because I see them setting themselves up for a failure that could be eerily reminiscent to Athens.

We got stuck with third two years ago because of:
A) lack of shooting
b) lack of defense
c) too much individual play

I'm not just upset that they cut Bruce. It's the fact that they haven't stuck to anything they said they were going to change, alter, or fix the program.

Team USA makes this BIG production this year about how its going to be all about team play and defense and role players...then they go and throw together another fucking All-Star team, chip in Brad Miller and Shawn Battier, and we're supposed to think things are going to go any different this time around? Because they gave these guys an extra two weeks practice and told them to play like a team? I'll believe it when I see it.

Do I want the US to win? Yes, for sure.

Do I think they've set themselves up to do so? Obviously not.

And if I want to bitch about that, it's protected by my first amendment rights. God bless America. :lol

zeleni
08-17-2006, 02:57 AM
I really hope that lack of role players would not hinder USA chances.

Battier is a healthy supplement, but i really think NT should need at least one more. There is just too much stars on one team, but at least I hope some of them are humble.

venitian navigator
08-17-2006, 03:07 AM
I Think the choice was between bruce and jamison.
battier, like miller, is a perfect kind of player for the kind of game they're gonna play...means, more than all, that he has a reliable outside shoot (and he could become a very good option having the chance to play power forward).-
So, I'm a little disappointed 'cause I think that Bruce was, by far, the best defender on the team, and, in that sense, a lot more an impact player, when needed real defense, than all of the others... I measdn not only individually, but also for the spirit of team's defense.
Imho, it should have been easy to understand that he brings something others don't have and that he could be capable to elevate the defensive standard of the team's defense...(now, this role goes to Battier).
Instead, in this team there are better options than Jamison at pf (I don't see him like a sf in this kind of competition) for the things he could give ...one for all...Battier.

However, I hope he take this in the right way and use the time and experience given
at his and spur's advantage!!!

rasho8
08-17-2006, 04:41 AM
My probably not so accurate breakdown of the USA team...

Carmelo, D-Wade and King James ar no brainers, they are working insanely well together and seem to have a team mindset, not a "me" mindset and were obvious locks for the team.

Bosh, Brand, Howard and Miller they needed to play against big-men... as numerous as the people are that were against Miller he is a good roleplayer for this team and seems to mesh well. I have seen and taped all the games thus far and watched them at least 5 times each to see how everyone played together and Miller really impressed me as far as how well he works with this team SO FAR. I think he will do fine in the middle against anyone less than 7 feet, Ming will be a challenge for him though if he is on his game.. which if you watch the Rockets play, doesnt seem to be very oftne in my opinion.

Hinrich and CP are doing incredible, and I would even say that Hinrich has flashes where he is performing better than CP... not always but at times he is on fire running that floor to perfection.. of course with Wade and LeBron backing you up its hard to fuck it up.

That leaves us with Johnson, Jamison and Battier.. all of which are good players and better than most of the International players they will come against in the first round... but I think Battier is the expendable one.

Battier was good, and he had nmore minutes than Bruce, but Bruce isnt an all around defense guy... he is a lockdown defender on a specific player.... every team in the WC has one great-to-brilliant pg or sg... and outside Battier is nothing compared to Bowen... they should have kept Bowen on one hand because he is the premeir perimeter defender in the NBA.. almost everyone agrres... and when Manu, Tony and the rest of the slashing driving guards match up against team USA get ready for some spectacular baskets and early foul trouble for our team.

The exhibition games did nothing to highlight Bruce's prowess... but when Kobe and Wade say there is no one they would rather face less than Bowen.... Coach K should have listened.

As it is... good job Bruce, they didnt use you as much as they should have, but when you have massive blowouts like all the games except Brazil... you arent really needed... they will regret it soon.

GO USA!!!

Streakyshooter08
08-17-2006, 06:36 AM
:pctoss

cheguevara
08-17-2006, 09:11 AM
As long as Arenas got cut, I'm happy

Arenas didn't get cut, he got injured.

and why don't u like Arenas?

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:14 AM
How about 'short-sighted' then? What you call the 'weakest player' I call the 'best defender' on Team USA. We'll see how it plays out when we play teams with alot of offensive firepower. You'll be singing a different and more enlightened tune.
im sure that this team has more than enough defensive power. and i dont think any team in the world has the defensive abilities to even have a shot and shutting down guys like Lebron and Wade. ill agree, Bowen was the best defender, but his style of play fits the NBA more than it does International Basketball. i dont think losing him will hurt the team one bit.

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:18 AM
agreed. glad to see someone knows what the hell he is talking about. to not root for the US just because they dont have a player from your home team is the stupidest shit ive ever heard.

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Do I think they've set themselves up to do so? Obviously not.

so just because they cut bruce bowen, they are not longer the favorites? are you fucking kidding me? im sure that Lebron and Wade, who are widely considered the two best basketball players in the world, and are both completely unselfish, along with the rest of the players on this team, will be just fine. who on this team is selfish? the only person that could be considered selfish was Gilbert Arenas, and hes gone now. EVERY single player on this team, can be effective and produce without shots or the ball. every single player can play very solid defense, has good passing skills, can hit long jumpers and threes (especially since the 3pt line is fairly shorter in international play). use your brain dude. quit being such a fucking homer.

1Parker1
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't dispute any of that, but I also thought the idea of building international teams after 2004 was to avoid the Dream Team mentality and to find guys who can fill roles to play alongside a handful of superstars. I guess they've done that to some extent, but this team looks suspiciously like a slightly deeper version of the 2004 USA Olympic Team.

:tu Agreed...I love how when they were forming the teams, Team USA preached about how "role players" will make a difference...and now it looks like the team is a bunch of All-Stars and youngsters. I'm sure the age thing also had a lot to do with Bruce being cut, which I can understand.

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope that guys like Manu, Parker, etc. and every other great shooter on the international teams light up USA. :lol

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
when Manu, Tony and the rest of the slashing driving guards match up against team USA get ready for some spectacular baskets and early foul trouble for our team. GO USA!!!

yea, but without Tim Duncan helping open stuff up for them, i dont see them getting quite as many easy looks, especially with so many good interior defenders on this team.

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:30 AM
:tu Agreed...I love how when they were forming the teams, Team USA preached about how "role players" will make a difference...and now it looks like the team is a bunch of All-Stars and youngsters. I'm sure the age thing also had a lot to do with Bruce being cut, which I can understand.

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope that guys like Manu, Parker, etc. and every other great shooter on the international teams light up USA. :lol
you can have a bunch of all-stars. look at the Dream Team. basically nothing but all-stars. but the difference between these all-stars, and the past all-stars that didnt do well, is that these guys are not one bit selfish. they can all produce without shots or the ball. they all play hard every minute they are in the game. thats why the Dream Team was so successful, and thats why this team will be successful too.

monosylab1k
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM

If the US loses in this tournament, it won't be because they don't have fucking Bruce Bowen. It will be because they don't have guys that can knock down jump shots. Zone defenses will clog up the driving lanes for guys like Wade and Lebron, and somebody's going to have to make jumpers. That's why Carmelo has been so important, cuz he's the best jump shooter they've got. Last I checked, Bowen wasn't anything special, with the exception of the occasional wide open three.

Personally, I would have liked to see Bowen on the team, for team chemistry purposes more than anything. He could play the "crafty veteran" role to perfection and he's by far the most intelligent guy on the team. Jamison should have been cut instead. But Bowen's defense doesn't mean shit in the international game. And if the US loses, it's only because they're alot farther behind internationally than originally feared. Not because they don't have LOL bruce bowen.

I still it's ridiculously short-sighted to have 12 offensive players and be kicking off the one credited defender you have on your team.

dwyane wade's made it on the all-defensive team, and battier is known for his defense as well. bruce bowen's not the only solid defender alive on earth today.

1Parker1
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
you can have a bunch of all-stars. look at the Dream Team. basically nothing but all-stars. but the difference between these all-stars, and the past all-stars that didnt do well, is that these guys are not one bit selfish. they can all produce without shots or the ball. they all play hard every minute they are in the game. thats why the Dream Team was so successful, and thats why this team will be successful too.

It's not about unselfishness. How many of those players on that team have experience playing in big games...on championship level? Aside from DWade...half those guys are first/second round exits in the NBA playoffs. What about 3 point shooting? Wade, Lebron, etc. are not exactly known for their 3 point shooting or even their jumpshots. Veteran leadership? Who will provide that...Brad Miller?

Now, I'm not saying that Team USA would have won everything if Bruce was on it or anything like that. I'm just saying that if Team USA was preaching about adding Role Players to this new team that is expected to win it all...I just don't see that many role players on there.

TheSanityAnnex
08-17-2006, 10:52 AM
For those saying Miller should have been cut...

you obviously do not understand the international game and what is required of bigs when playing it. amare does not have the court vision miller does so i'm not so sure he would have beat miller out anyways.

monosylab1k
08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
It's not about unselfishness. How many of those players on that team have experience playing in big games...on championship level? Aside from DWade...half those guys are first/second round exits in the NBA playoffs. What about 3 point shooting? Wade, Lebron, etc. are not exactly known for their 3 point shooting or even their jumpshots. Veteran leadership? Who will provide that...Brad Miller?

Now, I'm not saying that Team USA would have won everything if Bruce was on it or anything like that. I'm just saying that if Team USA was preaching about adding Role Players to this new team that is expected to win it all...I just don't see that many role players on there.

experience in the NBA playoffs and experience in Olympic basketball are damn near apples and oranges.

as far as operating well in high pressure situations, I think just about everyone on the team have proven that they can perform in the clutch at a level equal to or greater than the great bruce bowen.

question: since when has bruce bowen become this incredible jump shooter?

answer: since it became convenient to find the one weakness on the team and find a way to wedge that weakness into an excuse to bitch about a Spur getting cut from that team.

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:54 AM

well, you need to remember that the 3pt line is considerably shorter. the other game, Brad Miller hit like 4 or 5 threes in a row. everyone on this team is capable of hitting that shot, except for Dwight Howard and Elton Brand (although ive seen Brand make some pretty long shots before with consistency, but i doubt he will be shooting any threes). the competition in the world is nothing compared to the NBA. i think that just because the US lost the past couple years, everyone thinks that international play has improved so much. and it has improved, but not as much as some people give them credit for. we have to recall that we had teams that had NO chemistry, defense, balance, or shooting. they fixed that tremendously this year. and its not like we have chokers on this team either. most all of these players have been knows to be very good clutch players. just because they had a first or second round exit doesnt mean they arent clutch players. it simply means their team wasnt as good.

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:55 AM

you obviously do not understand the international game and what is required of bigs when playing it. amare does not have the court vision miller does so i'm not so sure he would have beat miller out anyways.
i agree. i think Miller is going to be a nice fit on this team. did you see that game against China, where he hit like 4 or 5 threes in a row? and he has been making some very nice passes and plays in the open court.

monosylab1k
08-17-2006, 10:56 AM

amen

Solid D
08-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll net it out for ya'll. Battier flops better than Bowen does and flopping is what FIBA is all about. Flopping International Basketball Association.
:smokin

wolf754life
08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
He didn't belong on that court!

Hurry home brucie, get rested for your 4th seeded team and early playoff loss!

GrandeDavid
08-17-2006, 11:26 AM
No. The final 12 for the Olympics will come out of the original 25 invitees (which includes Kobe, Marion, Billups, etc.)

In which a 37 year old Bruce will have a snowball's chance in hell of making it, especially assuming that those players show up.

tlongII
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Wow. What a surprise. I was so sure Bowen would make the team.

bdictjames
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
That's good news, Argentina might as well bring another trophy to themselves because Bowen's not there to stop Manu

cheguevara
08-17-2006, 01:27 PM
That's good news, Argentina might as well bring another trophy to themselves because Bowen's not there to stop Manu

you must not be paying attention. Argentina is struggling. Strongest team is USA by far

rascal
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Bowen was lucky to even get an invite. One dimensional players don't belong on the US team. There are better options that bring a more all around game.

cheguevara
08-17-2006, 01:55 PM
One dimensional players don't belong on the US team.

what do you call Dwayne Wade then?

Dex
08-17-2006, 02:50 PM
so just because they cut bruce bowen, they are not longer the favorites? are you fucking kidding me? im sure that Lebron and Wade, who are widely considered the two best basketball players in the world, and are both completely unselfish, along with the rest of the players on this team, will be just fine. who on this team is selfish? the only person that could be considered selfish was Gilbert Arenas, and hes gone now. EVERY single player on this team, can be effective and produce without shots or the ball. every single player can play very solid defense, has good passing skills, can hit long jumpers and threes (especially since the 3pt line is fairly shorter in international play). use your brain dude. quit being such a fucking homer.

Yeah, because just HAVING a team of the best basketball players in the world did us so well in Athens.

If the US loses in this tournament, it won't be because they don't have fucking Bruce Bowen. It will be because they don't have guys that can knock down jump shots. Zone defenses will clog up the driving lanes for guys like Wade and Lebron, and somebody's going to have to make jumpers. That's why Carmelo has been so important, cuz he's the best jump shooter they've got. Last I checked, Bowen wasn't anything special, with the exception of the occasional wide open three.

Personally, I would have liked to see Bowen on the team, for team chemistry purposes more than anything. He could play the "crafty veteran" role to perfection and he's by far the most intelligent guy on the team. Jamison should have been cut instead. But Bowen's defense doesn't mean shit in the international game. And if the US loses, it's only because they're alot farther behind internationally than originally feared. Not because they don't have LOL bruce bowen.

In my second reply, I stated that Bruce getting cut isn't the only problem I see with this team.

There is still no predication on defense (which is obvious, since you could only name 2 out of the 12 who have any sort of defensive credentials), team play (5 Lebron/Wade wannabes don't make for good team play, even if you DO have Chris Paul on the fucking floor), and jump shooting (once again, you said yourself that we've only had one or two people able to knock down the jay consistently).

To me, Bruce getting cut just symbolizes the fact that they've thrown all these 'prerequisites' out the window, if you get rid of the ONE guy that was still there for team morale, defense, and a solid shot (though, I will admit...Bruce shot like crap in all the friendlies. He may have had it coming)

To me, this looks just like the Athens team, minus Tim Duncan, and with a bunch of young and "promising" players replacing the ball-hogs and bigheads we had representing us in Greece. Will this make a difference? For sure.

Will it be enough to put them over the top? I sure hope so.

stretch
08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, because just HAVING a team of the best basketball players in the world did us so well in Athens.

these are COMPLETELY different players, in terms of personality, style, work ethic, and skills. no one on this team is selfish, while about half of the team that played in athens was known for being selfish. why dont you get your head out of your ass, quit beating off to bruce bowen, and see that this is a much different, more balanced, and better team than the US has had in a long time, whether Bowen is on the roster or not.

why dont you look at the roster again, before you say that we have no defense, no shooting, and no team play. if you have any basketball knowledge whatsoever, you would know that this team is VERY balanced in all areas.

Dex
08-17-2006, 03:40 PM
these are COMPLETELY different players, in terms of personality, style, work ethic, and skills. no one on this team is selfish, while about half of the team that played in athens was known for being selfish. why dont you get your head out of your ass, quit beating off to bruce bowen, and see that this is a much different, more balanced, and better team than the US has had in a long time, whether Bowen is on the roster or not.

why dont you look at the roster again, before you say that we have no defense, no shooting, and no team play. if you have any basketball knowledge whatsoever, you would know that this team is VERY balanced in all areas.

Carmelo Anthony
Carlos Boozer
Tim Duncan
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Richard Jefferson
Stephon Marbury
Shawn Marion
Lamar Odom
Emeka Okafor
Amare Stoudemire
Dwyane Wade

- - - - -

Carmelo Anthony
Shane Battier
Chris Bosh
Elton Brand
Kirk Hinrich
Dwight Howard
LeBron James
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Brad Miller
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade

-----------------------------

Okay, so we still have Bron, Melo, and Wade, though they will obviously be much more of the focal point under Coach K.

Instead of RJ/Marion/Odom....we have Battier/Jamison/JJ. Not much of an upgrade. Battier is the only one in that group that plays defense with a passion, so I'll give that to you. If Jamison knows how to defend, it sure as hell isn't helping the Wizards much.

Instead of Tim Duncan/Amare Stoudemire/Carlos Boozer, we have Brad Miller/Chris Bosh/Elton Brand. Even though both Bosh and Brand are manchilds, this is definitely a downgrade if you ask me. (Duncan/Amare before his surgery > Bosh/Brand any day of the week, even the ones that don't end in Y)

And then instead of Marbury/Iverson playin ballhog, we'll have Chris Paul and Kirk Hinrich distributing. This is probably the only real improvement the US team has made. Should hopefully keep the team involved and encourage team play, but like I said, when you have 6 guys who all want to charge the post and drop a lob, it's hard to play like a team and use the whole court.

Yeah, they're all decent shooters, defenders, and team players. But, for the most part, they were in years past too. And it's gotten painfully obvious that them just showing up on the court isn't going to get this country a gold.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I just hope Bruce takes it out on everybody next year. I'd love to see the Spurs play with a chip on their shoulder.

Supergirl
08-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm calling it - USA doesn't win it all without Bowen.

He's the only one who will be able to stop Manu or Dirk and players like them.

Kings241
08-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Why the hell do you guys want Miller cut. He fits perfectly for the soft international game. Did you see how many three pointers he's made so far. Plus he's been passing well off the fast break and half court. USA needs more team players like that.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Why the hell do you guys want Miller cut. He fits perfectly for the soft international game. Did you see how many three pointers he's made so far. Plus he's been passing well off the fast break and half court. USA needs more team players like that.
Miller on a fast break. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
For the 2012 olympics:

C Howard/Bosh/Oden
PF Brand/Okafor/Noah
SF Lebron/Carmelo/Durant
SG Wade/Bryant/Joe Johnson
PG Paul/Hinrich/Mayo
Already thinking ahead........ :)

I don't know why I posted this.

Kings241
08-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Miller on a fast break. :lol

Hahah I'm glad you found it funny but go ahead and check the video against China. Just look a little bit past the half.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p_zaSCmRQJ4

stretch
08-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Carmelo Anthony
Carlos Boozer
Tim Duncan
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Richard Jefferson
Stephon Marbury
Shawn Marion
Lamar Odom
Emeka Okafor
Amare Stoudemire
Dwyane Wade

- - - - -

Carmelo Anthony
Shane Battier
Chris Bosh
Elton Brand
Kirk Hinrich
Dwight Howard
LeBron James
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Brad Miller
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade

-----------------------------

Okay, so we still have Bron, Melo, and Wade, though they will obviously be much more of the focal point under Coach K.

Instead of RJ/Marion/Odom....we have Battier/Jamison/JJ. Not much of an upgrade. Battier is the only one in that group that plays defense with a passion, so I'll give that to you. If Jamison knows how to defend, it sure as hell isn't helping the Wizards much.

Instead of Tim Duncan/Amare Stoudemire/Carlos Boozer, we have Brad Miller/Chris Bosh/Elton Brand. Even though both Bosh and Brand are manchilds, this is definitely a downgrade if you ask me. (Duncan/Amare before his surgery > Bosh/Brand any day of the week, even the ones that don't end in Y)

And then instead of Marbury/Iverson playin ballhog, we'll have Chris Paul and Kirk Hinrich distributing. This is probably the only real improvement the US team has made. Should hopefully keep the team involved and encourage team play, but like I said, when you have 6 guys who all want to charge the post and drop a lob, it's hard to play like a team and use the whole court.

Yeah, they're all decent shooters, defenders, and team players. But, for the most part, they were in years past too. And it's gotten painfully obvious that them just showing up on the court isn't going to get this country a gold.
Battier, Jamison, and Johnson are all FAR better shooters than Jefferson, Odom, and Marion. Jefferson, Odom, and Marion all need the ball to be effective. Battier, Jamison, and Johnson dont. Battier has great defense and hits thress. Jamison is a solid rebounder and gets a lot of points on putbacks and open jumpers. Johnson is one of the most well rounded players on the roster. he can shoot, drive, dish, defend, whatever you need. but the key is that none of these players need the ball or have to have plays run for them to be effective. they find ways to be effective.

I agree that duncan, amare, and boozer is a better trio of interior players, but they are also very different. Duncan fouled out in every game because he cant get away with his dirty tricks in FIBA like he can in the NBA, so he was rather ineffective. Bosh and Brand are both very strong defenders, and are very versatile scorers. they can shoot mid-range shots, or post up. Miller is also a solid center, and can hit threes, and is one of the best passing centers in the game. and again, they dont need the ball or plays run for them to be effective, like Amare and Boozer does. Duncan is the only one of those three that can be effective no matter what he does. oh, and you forgot about Dwight Howard. hes another very good interior player and defender, and doesnt have to have the ball to help.

Lebron, Carmello, and Wade definitley are going to be the focal point, instead of Marbury and Iverson. I'd say thats a MAJOR upgrade. unselfish players that can score from anywhere on the court, play defense, and pass the ball well. we have our main interior players, in Bosh and Brand, who both can score and dominate the boards without getting into much foul trouble. then we got plenty of role players, in Hinrich, Chris Paul, Brad Miller, Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson.

i think after this discussion with you, i have learned that you CLEARLY lack basketball knowledge, and have no clue what the hell you are talking about. anyone that knows a damn thing about basketball knows that this is a VERY well balanced team without any selfish players. and although its exhibitions, they DOMINATED every game so far except for one, and in that one, they showed their resiliency by making the big plays in the end, when they needed them, despite having a poor game, which all teams will have from time to time. if i recall, in Athens, they lost several of the exhibition games, and didnt really dominate much. this is a much different team. its a shame that you cant see that, and are such a misguided homer that you think simply having bruce bowen on the team would solve all the US's problems. if he was on the team, i doubt you would be bitching about the "lack of balance" or whatever it is you are whining like a little bitch about. i wonder if you even know the hell what you are complaining about.

stretch
08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
agreed. i really like that they put miller on this team. he fits perfectly into what this team needs.

Kings241
08-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I can't believe some of you guys are turning your back against USA just because Bowen got cut. You should be ashamed for that...

GO team USA!!!! :clap

stretch
08-17-2006, 04:53 PM
I can't believe some of you guys are turning your back against USA just because Bowen got cut. You should be ashamed for that...

GO team USA!!!! :clap
again, agreed. i cant believe some of the douchebags on this forum, hoping that this team would lose just because they didnt put bowen on the roster. thats the stupidest shit ive ever heard. so if the spurs cut Bruce Bowen because they had better players, would they start to boycott the spurs as well? it makes no fucking sense.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Hahah I'm glad you found it funny but go ahead and check the video against China. Just look a little bit past the half.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p_zaSCmRQJ4
Okay, he went on a fast break, in definition only, against Korea too. He's still soft as tissue paper and can't play defense.

SequSpur
08-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm calling it - USA doesn't win it all without Bowen.

He's the only one who will be able to stop Manu or Dirk and players like them.

What is cosmopolitan.com shutdown today?

Dex
08-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Battier, Jamison, and Johnson are all FAR better shooters than Jefferson, Odom, and Marion. Jefferson, Odom, and Marion all need the ball to be effective. Battier, Jamison, and Johnson dont. Battier has great defense and hits thress. Jamison is a solid rebounder and gets a lot of points on putbacks and open jumpers. Johnson is one of the most well rounded players on the roster. he can shoot, drive, dish, defend, whatever you need. but the key is that none of these players need the ball or have to have plays run for them to be effective. they find ways to be effective.

I agree that duncan, amare, and boozer is a better trio of interior players, but they are also very different. Duncan fouled out in every game because he cant get away with his dirty tricks in FIBA like he can in the NBA, so he was rather ineffective. Bosh and Brand are both very strong defenders, and are very versatile scorers. they can shoot mid-range shots, or post up. Miller is also a solid center, and can hit threes, and is one of the best passing centers in the game. and again, they dont need the ball or plays run for them to be effective, like Amare and Boozer does. Duncan is the only one of those three that can be effective no matter what he does. oh, and you forgot about Dwight Howard. hes another very good interior player and defender, and doesnt have to have the ball to help.

Lebron, Carmello, and Wade definitley are going to be the focal point, instead of Marbury and Iverson. I'd say thats a MAJOR upgrade. unselfish players that can score from anywhere on the court, play defense, and pass the ball well. we have our main interior players, in Bosh and Brand, who both can score and dominate the boards without getting into much foul trouble. then we got plenty of role players, in Hinrich, Chris Paul, Brad Miller, Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson.

i think after this discussion with you, i have learned that you CLEARLY lack basketball knowledge, and have no clue what the hell you are talking about. anyone that knows a damn thing about basketball knows that this is a VERY well balanced team without any selfish players. and although its exhibitions, they DOMINATED every game so far except for one, and in that one, they showed their resiliency by making the big plays in the end, when they needed them, despite having a poor game, which all teams will have from time to time. if i recall, in Athens, they lost several of the exhibition games, and didnt really dominate much. this is a much different team. its a shame that you cant see that, and are such a misguided homer that you think simply having bruce bowen on the team would solve all the US's problems. if he was on the team, i doubt you would be bitching about the "lack of balance" or whatever it is you are whining like a little bitch about. i wonder if you even know the hell what you are complaining about.

Learn to debate without calling someone a little bitch, and maybe I'll give two shits about your response.

Oh, and next time, read my posts before responding. I didn't say anywhere that Bowen was going to fix all of Team USA's problems. I just said that them cutting Bowen symbolizes the fact that they've forgotten what they were looking for in the first place.

Kings241
08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Okay, he went on a fast break, in definition only, against Korea too. He's still soft as tissue paper and can't play defense.

Hey he must be good at something if Coach K keeps him on the team and cuts Bruce Bowen.

Oh and that wasn't Korea. It was China.

monosylab1k
08-17-2006, 06:08 PM
There is still no predication on defense (which is obvious, since you could only name 2 out of the 12 who have any sort of defensive credentials).

i think there's plenty of emphasis on defense. just because not every player has all-world defensive accolades doesn't mean that they can't play great team defense. it appears that coach K has infused a defensive mentality with these guys. if guys like lebron and carmelo want to be good defenders, there's no doubt in my mind that they could do it, they're talented enough. and they appear to have the motivation to do it.

team play (5 Lebron/Wade wannabes don't make for good team play, even if you DO have Chris Paul on the fucking floor),

i don't see a team full of lebron/wade wannabes in the least bit. besides lebron/wade/carmelo...it looks like a group of guys that are able to be role players (joe johnson was a role player in phoenix, jamison was in dallas, hinrich is one, battier is one, miller is one, etc.)

and jump shooting (once again, you said yourself that we've only had one or two people able to knock down the jay consistently).

and how exactly does Bruce Bowen help out with that? i've never known bowen to be a good shooter at all. sure, he can hit a wide open three, but so can 8 other guys on the team.

To me, Bruce getting cut just symbolizes the fact that they've thrown all these 'prerequisites' out the window, if you get rid of the ONE guy that was still there for team morale, defense, and a solid shot).

aside from the solid shot remark, i agree. i wanted him on the team for his intelligence and locker room leadership. plus he was the best defender they had.

i agree that bowen should still be on the team, and i'm disappointed that he's not. but i guess it just irritates the shit out of me that Spurs homers all of a sudden have turned on Team USA and wish failure on them just cuz Bowen's cut, either that or they insist that the team is totally fucked without him, and that simply isn't the case.

stretch
08-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Learn to debate without calling someone a little bitch, and maybe I'll give two shits about your response.

Oh, and next time, read my posts before responding. I didn't say anywhere that Bowen was going to fix all of Team USA's problems. I just said that them cutting Bowen symbolizes the fact that they've forgotten what they were looking for in the first place.
and what was it that they were looking for? unselfish players? players that can pass, shoot, and defend? role players? looking at the roster, they have all of that. if you had read my earlier post you would have seen that. i think you are taking this whole bowen thing a bit too hard.

oh, i mean you are taking this whole bowen thing a bit too hard, little bitch. perhaps you should learn to debate without being a total fucking homer, little bitch. perhaps you should realize that just because they cut a spur player, doesnt symbolize a damn thing, other than the fact that he was the weakest player, little bitch.

polandprzem
08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I told you so

SequSpur
08-17-2006, 06:31 PM
little bitch? :rolleyes

polandprzem
08-17-2006, 06:34 PM
little bitch? :rolleyes

Not so little dwarfman :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I'll never root against Team USA.

I'm just saying Bowen was supposed to be the poster child for the new and improved Team USA that was built on something other than just jersey sales.

Colangelo and Coach K held Bowen up as proof that they were changing things, and then when push came to shove they proved they haven't learned a damn thing, despite all the talk.

stretch
08-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I'll never root against Team USA.

I'm just saying Bowen was supposed to be the poster child for the new and improved Team USA that was built on something other than just jersey sales.

Colangelo and Coach K held Bowen up as proof that they were changing things, and then when push came to shove they proved they haven't learned a damn thing, despite all the talk.
well, obviously Bowen wasnt good enough. and you guys keep saying you are upset with the team not having role players, but if you look at it, most of the team consists of role players (Battier, Johnson, Miller, Hinrich, Paul, Jamison), then some players that can play either as a star or as a role player (Bosh, Brand, Howard), and a few very unselfish stars (Lebron, Wade, Carmello). but once again, the thing to remember is that NONE of these players HAVE to have the ball or have plays run for them to be effective and productive. all of them can find other ways to contribute, such as rebounds, defense, and passing.

you all need to quit whining about bowen not making the cut, and trying to make shitty excuses for being upset. however, at least you are respectable aggie. you arent going to root against the US like some of these fuckfaces.

Obstructed_View
08-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Hey he must be good at something if Coach K keeps him on the team and cuts Bruce Bowen.
Whatever gives you validation for your charmin soft center.

Oh and that wasn't Korea. It was China.
I don't know what you are talking about, because I didn't see the China game, I saw the Korea game, and since I saw the world's slowest fast break by Miller, I know it must have been the Korea game.

BIG IRISH
08-18-2006, 05:10 AM
This is very simple: If Shane Battier didn't play for Coach K at Duke, there is no way he would have made this USA team.

:madrun :madrun :blah :blah

rascal
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
I really don't care if the US wins or loses and won't waste my time watching any of the games. I'm more interested in my fantasy sports leagues now.

Obstructed_View
08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
This is very simple: If Shane Battier didn't play for Coach K at Duke, there is no way he would have made this USA team.

The man got Christian Laettner onto the Dream Team, guys. There was no way Battier wasn't making this team.

milkyway21
08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
GAMES BETWEEN ARGENTINA'S MANU MINUS USA's BRUCE BOWEN

SPOILER!!!

AFE7FATMAN
08-19-2006, 12:59 AM

http://www.unc.edu/~jkcrow/battierhug.jpg

BUMP
08-19-2006, 01:12 PM

you obviously do not understand the international game and what is required of bigs when playing it. amare does not have the court vision miller does so i'm not so sure amare would have beat miller out anyways.

:wow :spless:

carib
08-19-2006, 01:48 PM
It was a good thing he did not make the cut, rest them legs so that the Spurs can take back the Championship.

How much days before the the NBA Championship