PDA

View Full Version : George Allen and Macaca

Ocotillo
08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Probably you have read about or seen the Allen video where he refers to an Indian-American (born and raised in Virginia) as Macaca.......

When I first saw it, I thought it was a slur like calling an Arab Haji or Abdul but it turns out that it is an epitet used by French when referring to North Africans or Moroccans. Allen's mother was raised in Tunisia and is French ( :lol delicious piece of irony) and comes from a background where the slur might be used.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6307/142/400/gallen.1.jpg

I would guess his presidential hopes in '08 just bit the dust, what do you think?

jochhejaam
08-16-2006, 07:38 PM
It's a rather bizarre incident. Allen claims he didn't know what it meant...? :spin

Allen Quip Provokes Outrage, Apology
Name Insults Webb Volunteer

By Tim Craig and Michael D. Shear
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, August 15, 2006; Page A01

RICHMOND, Aug. 14 -- Virginia Sen. George Allen (R) apologized Monday for what his opponent's campaign said were demeaning and insensitive comments the senator made to a 20-year-old volunteer of Indian descent.

At a campaign rally in southwest Virginia on Friday, Allen repeatedly called a volunteer for Democrat James Webb "macaca." During the speech in Breaks, near the Kentucky border, Allen began by saying that he was "going to run this campaign on positive, constructive ideas" and then pointed at S.R. Sidarth in the crowd.

"This fellow here, over here with the yellow shirt, macaca, or whatever his name is. He's with my opponent. He's following us around everywhere. And it's just great," Allen said, as his supporters began to laugh. After saying that Webb was raising money in California with a "bunch of Hollywood movie moguls," Allen said, "Let's give a welcome to macaca, here. Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia." Allen then began talking about the "war on terror."

Depending on how it is spelled, the word macaca could mean either a monkey that inhabits the Eastern Hemisphere or a town in South Africa. In some European cultures, macaca is also considered a racial slur against African immigrants, according to several Web sites that track ethnic slurs.

"The kid has a name," Webb communications director Kristian Denny Todd said of Sidarth, a Virginia native who was born in Fairfax County. "This is trying to demean him, to minimize him as a person."

Todd added that the use of macaca, whatever it means, and the reference welcoming Sidarth to America were clearly intended to make him uncomfortable.

Reached Monday evening, Allen said that the word had no derogatory meaning for him and that he was sorry. "I would never want to demean him as an individual. I do apologize if he's offended by that. That was no way the point."

Asked what macaca means, Allen said: "I don't know what it means." <if he didn't know why did he use it? Either way it's a sign of ignorance> He said the word sounds similar to "mohawk," a term that his campaign staff had nicknamed Sidarth because of his haircut. Sidarth said his hairstyle is a mullet -- tight on top, long in the back.

Allen said that by the comment welcoming him to America, he meant: "Just to the real world. Get outside the Beltway and get to the real world."

But the apology, which came hours after Allen's campaign manager dismissed the issue with an expletive and insisted the senator has "nothing to apologize for," did little to mollify Webb's campaign or Sidarth, who said he suspects Allen singled him out because his was the only nonwhite face among about 100 Republican supporters.

"I think he was doing it because he could, and I was the only person of color there, and it was useful for him in inciting his audience," said Sidarth, who videotaped the event for the Webb campaign. "I was annoyed he would use my race in a political context."

Told of Allen's apology, Todd added, "I hope Allen realizes that Virginians come in all colors."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/14/AR2006081400589.html

Extra Stout
08-16-2006, 07:40 PM
This incident will hurt Allen in metropolitan areas because suburban voters might think he's racist, and it will hurt him in rural areas when voters there find out he speaks French.

gtownspur
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I''ll have the roast duck with the mango salsa,...

and you sir,.

I've lost my appetite.

Mr Dio
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I''ll have the roast duck cock with the mango salsa flavored man juice,...

and you sir,...May I blow you too?

I've lost my appetite. Too many females make me sick. I need a man NOW!!!

You need help GayTown.
Sorry if I hit a nerve son. :lol

Ya Vez
08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
who cares.. politicians are people too .. not gods....

Nbadan
08-16-2006, 10:57 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060816/i/r2937682172.jpg
Who you calling a politician? I'm an easy rider!

101A
08-17-2006, 11:26 AM
...and yet this goes with nary a whisper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc9mvwNYn2M

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I''ll have the roast duck with the mango salsa,...

and you sir,.

I've lost my appetite.

:lmao

Neanderthals rule.

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
You need help GayTown.
Sorry if I hit a nerve son. :lol

You need to grow a sense of humor. Gtown wasnt saying anything political, he said the obvious. This dumbfuck just ruined his campaign.

DarkReign
08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
who cares.. politicians are people too .. not gods....

People who are trying to garner your vote. They may not be infallible, but they damn well better act like it in public.

Extra Stout
08-17-2006, 12:42 PM
You need to grow a sense of humor. Gtown wasnt saying anything political, he said the obvious. This dumbfuck just ruined his campaign.
And not a moment too soon. If that SoCal fratboy Sons-of-the-Confederacy-wannabe erstwhile jock were to have gotten the Republican nomination for President in 2008, I might have declared jihad.

Extra Stout
08-17-2006, 12:45 PM
How about this for an excuse?

"I had just finished watching The Lion King with several underprivileged orphans, and was just repeating what that warthog thing says, you know, "Hock-a macaca" or whatever that means "no worries." And since Mr. Sidarth isn't worried about the scruples of following me around with a video camera, I thought the name fit."

Ocotillo
08-17-2006, 01:34 PM
...and yet this goes with nary a whisper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc9mvwNYn2M

Hasta la vista '08 Presidential hopes Joe....... :lol

Ocotillo
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.thesimpsons.com/bios/images/bios_townspeople_apu.gif

That is the last time I put out the change jar for the Biden PAC!!

boutons_
08-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Well, they don't have to be perfect, since that would produce a blatant fake like a Frist or a Kerry etc, who can't speak straight and authentically for wanting to avoid offending anyone, but they can avoid making obviously nasty appeals to the (red-state) Repug racist vote.

Allen sounds like the typical nasty little racist motherfucker the Repugs run as candidates in the south, as part of the successful Repug campaign of being the natural party for southern anti-black voters. You know, good ol' boys like Trent Lott.

Extra Stout
08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Hasta la vista '08 Presidential hopes Joe....... :lol
Anyone who has paid any attention to Joe Biden knows that this kind of oral diarrhea is routine. He lacks that "mental filter," which is OK for being a senator from folksy Delaware, but won't cut it on the national scene.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
And?

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Anyone who has paid any attention to Joe Biden knows that this kind of oral diarrhea is routine. He lacks that "mental filter," which is OK for being a senator from folksy Delaware, but won't cut it on the national scene.
If Biden was even considered as a possibility for '08, then voters have a "mental filter" that blocks his history from their memory, which means he still has a chance.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2006, 03:09 PM
I can assure you I will vote for neither in '08.

Happy?

cheguevara
08-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Allen also said he did not know the white hood in his trunk was KKK.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Allen also said he did not know the white hood in his trunk was KKK.
That post is all the funnier considering it's posted by someone using the name cheguevara. :lol

Ocotillo
08-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Both Biden and Allen have made no secret of their interest in running for their party's nomination in '08. Biden was a long shot at best. Allen was considered the second strongest candidate after McCain. I know some like Guliani but he isn't going to get the nomination either.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.

Nbadan
08-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Another Republican candidate opens mouth, inserts foot...

"I grew up In Alabama, and I understand, and I know this from my experience, but blacks are not the greatest swimmers or may not even know to swim."

- Republican front runner Tramm Hudson (R) Florida's 13th congressional district race, for the seat being vacated by Rep. Katherine Harris (R-FL)

Extra Stout
08-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Another Republican candidate opens mouth, inserts foot...

- Republican front runner Tramm Hudson (R) Florida's 13th congressional district race, for the seat being vacated by Rep. Katherine Harris (R-FL)
Context, please.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Does it matter?

DarkReign
08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Does it matter?

Honestly, it doesnt. And if you, ES, could postualte a verbal situation where a citizen running for public office could believably say something like that and it have no overtones....

My man, you are in the wrong business.

Extra Stout
08-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, here's the full context:

1984 we were in Panama. Our unit was doing a two-week training down there. I commanded an infantry company and we were practicing crossing a river. You know, an infantry company has 140 some-odd soldiers. A large number were black. I grew up in Alabama and I understand and I know this from my own experiences that blacks aren’t the best swimmers or may not even know how to swim. But we were crossing this and wanted to make sure every soldier could swim and if they couldn’t we’d get them across the river. We had the line across the river and we were making our passage way and one of the black soldiers with his ruck-sack on his back, his weapon and fell from the line…he let go. Sunk down to the bottom of the river. And I’ve got to tell you, it took my breath away. Two of the sergeants manning the boats immediately jumped into the river and pulled that soldier out form below. They gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitations and we called in a medivac helicopter to take him to the hospital. That soldier could have died. I believe it was divine intervention. That was a Saturday afternoon. And that next morning we had a worship service among our NCOs and our officers. And I led that worship service. And I think, in terms of answering your question that if we allow congress or the federal government to remove that from the chaplain’s corps, that would be just terrible. And I believe that being able to worship and to express our religious beliefs, if it’s in the military, so be it. Or if it’s alone as individuals, you would find me defending that. I’ll just pass this around because this was manifold when I read about the law that someone was trying to pass.

Extra Stout
08-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Hudson apologizes:

"I said something stupid. I apologize for it and would apologize in person to anyone hurt by my comments. To those who are understandably offended, you have my deepest apologies and I want you to know that it was out of character for me and those who know me know that to be a fact. This was a thoughtless remark that does not reflect my lifetime commitment to treating everyone fairly and without bias. I apologize to everyone who is offended by this comment."

Black leaders rally around him:

"I have known Tramm Hudson for many years and I have seen the entire video of his remarks to the Christian Coalition. I do not consider what he said to be a racist remark. Tramm has apologized to me in person, although I don't think one is necessary, but I accept his apology without reservation. He is a good, decent, family man with a good heart"
- Trevor Harvey, President NAACP of Sarasota County

"I've known Tramm Hudson for over 5 years, I lead an interracial Bible study that Tramm has participated in these past 5 years. I know Tramm and I know Tramm is a good, honest man who treats everyone fairly. I have seen Tramm's entire statement and believe he was attempting to express something that just came out wrong. I accept his apology and value his friendship."
- Pastor Kelvin Lumpkin - Abundant Life Ministries

So to summarize:
Tramm Hudson said something thoughtless while telling a story about the Chaplain Corps, has taken full responsibility for it and apologized profusely, and has people vouching for his character.

George Allen said something intentionally derogatory in a language he thought nobody would understand so that he could get away with it, and has dissembled in owning up to it.

Two Republicans: one probably a decent man who misspoke, one probably a mean-spirited jackass.

Guess which one is running for President? :rolleyes