PDA

View Full Version : Big Man Rotation - Is there a Plan?

Rummpd
10-23-2004, 04:04 AM
(Working but gladly not living now in the Cesspool that is Philadelphia) I have only seen one televised Spurs games so far, albeit a bunch of Spurs no names almost beating most of the non-Iverson starters on the 76ers. What was up with that Spur rotation? (I will say that the 76ers have some extremely good looking young players and could if they develop and AI is not hurt chronically, surprise in the East as a 4-5 seed again).

More seriously, watching the posts and the boxes I am trying to figure out if there is yet a cognizant plan for the best big rotation this year. I am concerned about this more than our guard situation as I feel that big is still the key in the West (lots of talent out there) but only the Spurs and a few others can be big and still great.

What is the blog on the big rotation? I cannot figure out Pop's plan yet:

I feel that it should be something along this.

Rasho/Rose/Duncan at 1 i.e. PLAY Rose at least 12-15 a game, with Willis gone they need his energy and toughness!

Duncan/Horry/Massenberg at 2?

How about Duncan, Rose and Horry on the floor at the same time with Manu and Barry or even Beno = I would love that rotation occassionally! 3 passers/shooters + an MVP + Rose for what he brings.

Is this Georgetown guy not even going to try and spell it BB or something - does he have a chance to stick?

Am I wrong to be so, so concerned about the big man rotation from afar?

MadDoc :drunk :hat :smokin

Solid D
10-23-2004, 08:20 AM
The rotation of Bigs isn't set, yet. Sean Marks' injury situation has clouded things. Pop declared prior to training camp he wanted to see Marks getting time at the 5. So Rasho/Marks/Rose/Massenburg/Duncan all play 5.
Duncan/Horry/Rose/Massenburg seem to be the best-suited 4s.

I really don't think Boumtje Boumtje will stick. James Thomas probably won't either.

Pop's just trying different combinations right now and he has plenty of them. Bench scoring is a weakness, thusfar, since Barry is off on his shot.

boutons
10-23-2004, 11:46 AM
In crunch/OT vs PHI, Ruben's name was on the radio several times, rebounding, blocked shot, even a basket or two. Sure sounded like he was making an effort at the right time. After 3,4 years in the NBA, it's his year to blossom, if not actually break out.

A 1 rotation of Rasho/Sean/Ruben looks good to me. I would prefer a young, potential-ful Ruben if he could just get up to the journeyman level of an old, potential-less TMass this year.

Marcus Bryant
10-23-2004, 12:03 PM
The bigman rotation should be

4 TD
5 Crap

with Rose backing them up except for about 10 minutes (or less) which can go to Horry and/or Marks (or Mass).

Horry's role should be spot duty this year. End of quarter situations as well as guarding 'big 3s' such as Nowtizki, Odom, et al.

timvp
10-23-2004, 12:08 PM
In crunch/OT vs PHI, Ruben's name was on the radio several times, rebounding, blocked shot, even a basket or two. Sure sounded like he was making an effort at the right time. After 3,4 years in the NBA, it's his year to blossom, if not actually break out.

A 1 rotation of Rasho/Sean/Ruben looks good to me. I would prefer a young, potential-ful Ruben if he could just get up to the journeyman level of an old, potential-less TMass this year.

Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje had the quarter of his life against the Sixers. He had a couple of huge rebounds and even hit a jumper that put the game in overtime. He played well.

But he sucks. He's an offensive nightmare and is way to clumsy for the NBA. He seems like a smart guy and will be a doctor when he's finished with basketball ... which should be any day now.

timvp
10-23-2004, 12:09 PM
The bigman rotation should be

4 TD
5 Crap

with Rose backing them up except for about 10 minutes (or less) which can go to Horry and/or Marks (or Mass).

Horry's role should be spot duty this year. End of quarter situations as well as guarding 'big 3s' such as Nowtizki, Odom, et al.

True. Hopefully Pop will go with this rotation. If he does, this team will be tough to beat.

If he leans too much on Horry, the Spurs will crack in the playoffs.