PDA

View Full Version : Bruno Kirby Dies

cherylsteele
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Veteran character actor Bruno Kirby, best known for his supporting roles in such films as "Good Morning Vietnam," "City Slickers" and "The Godfather: Part II," has died at age 57, relatives said on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby, immediately recognizable for his rounded features and a high-timbered, slightly husky voice, died at a Los Angeles hospital on Monday after a brief battle with leukemia, according to a spokesman for his family.

The son of actor Bruce Kirby, he was born Bruno Giovanni Quidaciolu in New York City, and his Italian roots figures in many of his roles.

Launching his acting career in the 1971 film "The Young Graduates," Kirby was often cast in awkward, geeky roles as a younger performer. But he went on to play more earthy, street-wise supporting parts, often as a sidekick to the star, as in two Billy Crystal comedies "When Harry Met Sally" and "City Slickers."

Other memorable roles include the nephew of a mob boss, the young Clemenza, in "The Godfather: Part II," a gangster named Nicky in "Donnie Brasco" and the no-nonsense Lt. Hauk opposite Robin Williams in "Good Morning, Vietnam."

Kirby also had a prolific career in television, from a role in the pilot episode for the "M*A*S*H" series to appearances on such shows as "Columbo," "Kojak," "Hill Street Blues," "Frasier" and "The Larry Sanders Show."

His last screen appearance was on a recent episode of HBO's Hollywood satire "Entourage."

Ocotillo
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
R.I.P. Bruno

DirkAB
08-16-2006, 07:36 PM
That's too bad, I always liked the way he played his role. One of my favorites not listed in the article is Sleepers, he was very good in that movie.

slayermin
08-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I thought he was great in The Freshman.

ChumpDumper
08-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Really good actor, and really young. :depressed

CubanMustGo
08-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Totally made "Good Morning, Vietnam." Played an uptight typical know-it-all 2nd looie to perfection. R.I.P.

samikeyp
08-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I really liked him.

RIP Brother