PDA

View Full Version : Live Healthy and Wealthy...

Nbadan
08-17-2006, 01:23 AM
...and all the worlds problems will just melt away!! <-- conservative logic!

In the July 30 edition of The New York Times, Gina Kolata reports on recent research findings on the health of modern citizens of industrialized countries. You might expect that this research reveals us denizens of early 21st-century capitalist economies to be staggeringly unhealthy -- our physiques so obese and flabby, our arteries so clogged with cholesterol, our lungs so inundated with pollutants and our brains and spirits so burdened with stress that we are aging faster and suffering more than ever before.

In fact, the opposite is true. The great majority of us today enjoy unprecedented good health

And although The Times' report avoids firmly answering the question "why?," the reason for this much-improved health isn't hard to find given that these health gains have been greatest in the industrialized world and that they started within the past two centuries.

The answer, in a word, is "capitalism."

So given this fact along with the hysterical language used by the likes of Al Gore -- who, after all, is not on society's fringes -- it's a perfectly legitimate stance for truly reasonable people to conclude that the best policy regarding global warming is to neglect it -- and let capitalism continue to make us healthier and wealthier.

Pitts Live (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/boudreaux/s_465727.html)

This reminds me of that now infamous Wetstone chick who has become a psychologists or something on the web, anyway, the other day on Duel's show she was pushing about how people who worry about society's problems should just quit worrying because 'worrying just bring you down'. It sounded like a personal therapy session. I was flabergasted!

BIG IRISH
08-17-2006, 02:14 AM
WetStone :lol :lol

NEVER, I say NEVER be flabergasted! at anything Becky has to say.

Nbadan
08-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Anyway, I wonder how this author, a professor none-the-less, can explain that people are also healthier in commie countries like Cuba?

ObiwanGinobili
08-17-2006, 09:26 AM
people who worry about society's problems should just quit worrying because 'worrying just bring you down'.

I'\d love to be there to give her that same peice of advice when her identity gets stolen or her house burns down. :lol

101A
08-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Anyway, I wonder how this author, a professor none-the-less, can explain that people are also healthier in commie countries like Cuba?

Coattails.