PDA

View Full Version : Marbury and New Sneakers

woodseed
08-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Marbury endorsing inexpensive sneakers
August 16, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Want to be like Steph? Well, it won't cost you much.

Stephon Marbury now is endorsing a sneaker that costs just $14.98, a pittance when compared with the often daunting prices that companies such as Nike and Reebok charge for their footwear.

ADVERTISEMENT
The "Starbury One," a sneaker designed by Steve & Barry's University Sportswear, will go on sale Thursday.

The New York Knicks guard hooked up with the low-priced apparel company after Marbury's marketing representatives spoke with Steve & Barry's about other marketing opportunities. When Marbury heard about the company's sneakers, he quickly agreed to endorse them.

He is expected to wear the sneakers during games next season.

"We got to know Stephon the man vs. Stephon the basketball player that we read about and saw on television, and we immediately saw how passionate he was about this vision," said Howard Schacter, Steve & Barry's chief partnership officer. "We also came to quickly learn he has a credibility, a street credibility."

Schacter said Marbury is not being paid for endorsing the sneakers, but will be compensated based on how well it sells.

Kori Ellis
08-17-2006, 03:54 AM
I just saw the pictures on his website. http://www.starbury.com/ The white on white actually look nice.

$14.98 is crazy. That's great for kids!

Kori Ellis
08-17-2006, 03:56 AM
If you look at all the shoes on his website, there are lowtops for $9.98 and some shirts and stuff.

MajorMike
08-17-2006, 08:32 AM
you know... I've never been able to stand him, but this is actually very refreshing.

KEDA
08-17-2006, 08:52 AM
eh

the White on White lows look ok

but thats about it

it also looks like the upper on the mids is of poor quality and will crease easily.

but if you are a kid, or want to support your man Marbury, the price cant be beat!!

I like that the most!

Taco
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I just saw the pictures on his website. http://www.starbury.com/ The white on white actually look nice.

$14.98 is crazy. That's great for kids!

$14.98 MAN THEY MUST HAVE CUT THE WAGES IN THE SWEAT SHOPS

Mixability
08-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow! Something associated with the Knicks is cheap!?!?!

Kori Ellis
08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
eh

the White on White lows look ok

but thats about it

it also looks like the upper on the mids is of poor quality and will crease easily.

but if you are a kid, or want to support your man Marbury, the price cant be beat!!

I like that the most!

I'm sure they are good quality. He's wearing them for NBA games.

I think the white/white and white/Carolina blue look good. The best thing about them to me is that they are simple. I hate most of the shoes you wear. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with most of the comments.

A $15 pair of shoes for a star player is pretty damn cool for kids and parents.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2006, 10:06 AM
And I do like the logo.

sa_butta
08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I also like the white on white lows the best but that is about it.

Sportcamper
08-17-2006, 01:11 PM
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2004/09/03/cheap_sneakers3.jpg

Stephon Marbury now is endorsing a sneaker that costs just $14.98, a pittance when compared with the often daunting prices that companies such as Nike and Reebok charge for their footwear...

sa_butta
08-17-2006, 01:14 PM
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2004/09/03/cheap_sneakers3.jpg

Stephon Marbury now is endorsing a sneaker that costs just $14.98, a pittance when compared with the often daunting prices that companies such as Nike and Reebok charge for their footwear...I wouldnt pay .14 for those.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Shaq has been doing that for years, but Shaq never wore his shoes in games.

sa_butta
08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Shaq has been doing that for years, but Shaq never wore his shoes in games.Dont they sell the Shaq brand at payless?

Obstructed_View
08-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Dont they sell the Shaq brand at payless?
Yep. I debated whether or not to get them for my three year old. I'm such a Spurs homer it's not funny.

Sportcamper
08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
http://www.famousfootwear.com/productimages/ff_IS25985.JPG

Interesting that somebody mentioned Shaqs Shoes...(At least when he was with LA) his Shoes could be purchased for $29.99 & they were of excellent quality...Designed for big men whose game is above the rim... :smokin

spurs=bling
08-17-2006, 09:27 PM
omg..this is funny.

Fillmoe
08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
I would buy them just to support the dudes movement. Not too many ball players actually give a shit about their community. So if Marbury trying to get less fortunate kids some nice shoes for cheap than all the power to him. I remember when Chuck D tried to do this not to long ago with shoes and a clothing line, that didn't go to well though. I think Hakeem did something similar also. If Marbury releases the shoes in like 20-30 different colors and has some rare ones made then they would do pretty good.

T-Pain
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
wow, i like all of the color schemes and the design of the shoes. Im prolly gonna get the black on black ones for work, they pass as pretty good black dress shoes.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Starbury's Sale

by Lang Whitaker

Last night I wrote a post about the launch party for Stephon Marbury’s new line of budget sportswear and shoes. You guys did a lot of talking about it, too, and while we all agreed that it was great that Stephon was trying to do something different, I was curious how well the shoes would sell. Because to be honest, sometimes the only reason people buy shoes is because they are expensive. While what Stephon is trying to do — making shoes and clothes that have quality but are actually affordable — is fantastic. But would anyone actually buy the stuff?

Well, I just got word that when the Steve and Barry’s store in Manhattan Mall opened this morning, there were about 500 people in line outside the store. The people came charging in when the doors opened, and the store completely sold out of Steph’s shoes. Really. They were bringing in shoes from the back, people kept coming in to get their kicks, and even the actual Steve and Barry were having to work the registers to help get people through there.

The only downside is that because of the low price-point, the store only made $7 profit. Kidding!!

For real, that scene wasn’t only in Manhattan. Stores in Kansas and Michigan had similar runs on the Starbury shoes, and I was told that nobody’s exactly sure how well they did at the other Steve and Barry’s stores because all of their stores were so much busier than they thought they would be that by this afternoon they hadn’t had a chance to tally things up and see where they stood just yet.

I know it’s been less than one day, but if this stuff I’m hearing is true (and I have no reason not to believe it), then I wonder what all this means in the longer run? Is there a real, hungry market there for low-priced shoes? Shaq’s the only current player (respect to Hakeem for trying it years ago) who’s tried something similar, but his went for $40. For that price, you could buy four pairs of Starbury shoes.

I’m also curious about how they’ll feel, last, etc. If anybody out there gets a pair, drop me an email and let me know.

http://slamonline.com/online/2006/08/starburys-sale/