PDA

View Full Version : O. M. F. G.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Baxter arrested by Secret Service agents
Associated Press
Posted: 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former NBA player Lonny Baxter was arrested by uniformed Secret Service agents on Wednesday after shots were fired from a vehicle about two blocks from the White House.

Baxter, who helped Maryland win a national championship and played with the Charlotte Bobcats last season, was ordered held without bail.
"Nobody feels worse about this whole scenario than Mr. Baxter himself," Baxter's lawyer, Harold Martin, said after Wednesday's brief court appearance. "Hopefully this doesn't become a life-altering event."

The 27-year-old Baxter was taken into custody around 2:30 a.m. after a witness flagged down a Secret Service agent and reported shots fired from a white sport utility vehicle, said Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren.

Officers stopped the vehicle, which Baxter was driving, near the intersection of 17th and I streets in Northwest Washington, he said.

"There were spent shell casings in plain view inside the vehicle," Zahren said. Officers also recovered a handgun.

The Secret Service charged Baxter and his passenger, 35-year-old Irvin Martin, with carrying a handgun without a license and other firearms charges, which could lead to up to seven years in prison.

It wasn't immediately clear why they were allegedly firing the gun.

"We're not sure at this point," Zahren said. "There may be some subsequent charges if we discover some additional information."

Martin was released on his own recognizance.

Baxter signed a one-year deal earlier this month with Italian team Montepaschi Siena.

Baxter is a former Maryland star who was drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the second round of the 2002 draft. He is a native of Silver Spring, Md., just outside of Washington, and played for Maryland from 1998 to 2002. He also played with briefly with the Washington Wizards.

Bobcats spokesman Scott Leightman said Baxter is no longer with the team after his contract expired at the end of last season.

Baxter joined the Bobcats in the middle of last season in a trade with Houston.

Leetonidas
08-17-2006, 09:26 PM
WTF is that about?

Vinnie_Johnson
08-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Baxter Baxter Baxter WTF were you thinking?

MrChug
08-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Oh Baxter, you are my little gentleman, I'll take you to foggy Londontown because you are my little...

Vinnie_Johnson
08-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Is this an old thread? I have known of this for at least 4 days now

Why the hell didn't you tell us?? :oops

Kori Ellis
08-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I thought it was already posted here 2 days ago, but maybe I just read it elsewhere.

By the way, he's still in custody

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Former NBA player Lonny Baxter will remain in the District of Columbia jail on felony gun charge at least until next Wednesday, in part because of a request from his attorneys.

Baxter's lawyers asked a D.C. Superior Court judge Friday to delay a bond hearing so they could challenge aspects of the city's new crime emergency legislation that presumes anyone charged with carrying a pistol without a license to be dangerous.

Richard Finci argued that Baxter's classification as dangerous person, which can be used to deny him bail, violates his constitutional rights.

"He should not be presumed to be a dangerous person just because he had a gun in his possession," Finci said. "To extend the law to the mere possession of a firearm, without a violent crime goes too far," he said following the hearing.

Baxter, the former University of Maryland star who played with the Charlotte Bobcats last season, was taken into custody about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday after a person on the street flagged down a Secret Service officer and reported shots were being fired from a white sport utility vehicle.

Officers stopped the vehicle, which the 27-year-old Baxter was driving a few blocks from the White House.

Officers allegedly saw two spent shell casings on the floor of the vehicle and recovered a handgun from the vehicle's center console.

The Secret Service charged Baxter and his passenger, Irvin Martin, 35, with carrying a handgun without a license and other firearms charges, which could lead to up to seven years in prison. Martin was released on his own recognizance Wednesday.

Baxter is being held in solitary confinement because of his celebrity status, pending the outcome of next Wednesday's hearing.

"Anytime you're incarcerated inside the D.C. Jail, that's not the most pleasant of circumstances," said Harold Martin, who is also representing Baxter.

Baxter was drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the second round in 2002. He is a native of Silver Spring, Md., just outside of Washington, and played for Maryland from 1998 to 2002. He also played briefly with the Washington Wizards.

Baxter signed a one-year deal earlier this month with an Italian pro team.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Is this an old thread? I have known of this for at least 4 days now

You knew about it before it happened?? :lol

It happened on Wednesday morning.

ChumpDumper
09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Well, it didn't seem to hurt his career in Europe:

Sept. 19, 2006, 10:40PM
Newsmakers: Baxter Italy-bound after prison stint

Chronicle News Services

Former NBA player Lonny Baxter extended his contract with his Italian club through the 2007-08 season despite being sentenced to two months in jail for firing a gun into the air near the White House.

"We're counting on his spirit of renewal," Montepaschi Siena general manager Ferdinando Minucci said Tuesday. "We're hoping to restart his career."

Minucci said Baxter is to be released from prison Oct. 11, three days after the Italian season starts, and is then expected to travel to Italy.

"We sent him a DVD with all our plays and an introduction to the club, along with a training regimen," Minucci said, adding Baxter has one hour a day to work out in prison.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/other/4199954.html

nkdlunch
09-20-2006, 02:10 PM
DC jails suck too. Imagine a jail in a 3rd world country, that's DC jail

polandprzem
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Is he a spur?

Wow - so we needed another shooter in a team - cool