PDA

View Full Version : Marion Jones tests positive for EPO

Spurologist
08-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Sources: Sprinter Jones tested positive for EPO

ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael, The Washington Post are The Associated Press reporting that U.S. sprinter Marion Jones has failed a drug test, according to sources with knowledge of the test results.

Jones' "A" sample tested positive for the banned performance enhancer EPO at the event in Indianapolis, one source told the AP on condition of anonymity because the official results are not yet public.

If a second sample, or "B" sample, also tests positive, she would face a minimum two-year ban from the sport.

Jones, 30, withdrew from the Weltklasse Golden League meet Friday in Switzerland, citing "personal reasons." Meet director Hans Jeorg Wirz said Jones received a morning telephone call from the United States that prompted her decision. No further details were given.

After Jones withdrew in Zurich, her coach Steve Riddick told ESPN.com's Mike Fish by phone from Norfolk, Va., that he was surprised she was not running.

"From what I gather it is some personal family matters. I'm not sure if her mother is ill. I know her son is OK. Charlie [Wells, Jones' manager] says it is a personal family matter," Riddick said. "Me, I'm a two-year-old coach with her so I don't go too far into detail.

"I haven't talked to her. I know when she landed, she just sent me a little note that said, 'I just landed. I'll give you a call later. I'm OK.' That is all she said. I'm just the coach. If she wanted to tell me more she will. I don't push it. I really don't have a clue."

When reached by phone in Zurich, Wells said, "She had some personal reasons that she had to go home. That is it."

Asked if it was an illness, Wells said, "Don't know. That is all that is to it."

U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO Terry Madden declined comment to the Post. Spokesmen for USA Track and Field and the U.S. Olympic Committee also declined to comment for the paper.

Jones is the third elite U.S. athlete to test positive for doping this year. Cyclist Floyd Landis tested positive for elevated testosterone during the Tour de France; sprinter Justin Gatlin, a three-time Olympic medalist who shares the world record in the 100 meters, tested positive for a steroid in April.

Jones raced five times in Europe this season, winning the 100 meters in Paris and Lausanne. She had been set to race in Zurich for the first time in two years after having been snubbed by the meet for her connection to the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid scandal.

She was not invited to this year's Golden League final in Berlin on Sept. 3 because of links to former coach Trevor Graham, who is under investigation by track and field's ruling body and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Other athletes who trained under Graham were also not invited.

Graham is the coach of Olympic and world 100-meter champion Gatlin, who faces a lifetime ban for his failed drug test. Several other athletes coached by Graham have been suspended for doping.

Jones is no longer coached by Graham and works with Reddick. She has been dogged by doping allegations but had never failed a test before the U.S. championships and has repeatedly denied using performance-enhancing drugs.

Since winning three gold medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Jones has struggled. Her career best of 10.65 seconds in the 100 was in 1998. Her time of 10.91 at the Golden Gala meet in Rome last month was her fastest race in four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=2554220

I knew she was clean all along

carib
08-19-2006, 01:38 PM
What’s up with all of the top US Runners, and drugs?
Who will be next

ata
08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
There must be those damn French behind this...

themvp
08-19-2006, 04:30 PM
That sucks... :grim: really, really bad.

judaspriestess
08-22-2006, 04:49 PM
what started off as such a promising career with dominance in the track & field world has just gone down the shitter big time. How sad. It's never ending for her now. :(

degenerate_gambler
08-22-2006, 05:01 PM
She's just next in line to have all that God-given talent only to piss it away of her own doing.

ABDENOUR POWER
08-22-2006, 08:25 PM
This doping is getting ridiculous.